BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-08-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: mjewen

User image

Subject: RE: MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN
Originally posted by mjewen

Here is my race belt

I was wondering how that would work. Thanks for posting.

2013-08-15 6:44 AM
in reply to: sigsby

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Zach... road bike with clip on aero bars.
2013-08-15 4:16 PM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by tmoons

Zach... road bike with clip on aero bars.

+1. Also I would suggest shorty bars. Get fitted on the road bike and then add shorty bars without changing your fit. You will get the benefit of the aero position from the bars but will still be able to ride your road bike like a road bike.

I'm still dealing with my foot issue. It really doesn't bother me when I run but it bothers me some throughout the day. The main seems to migrate all along the outside of my foot. Sometimes toward the toes, sometimes mid foot and others toward the heel. I'm getting really frustrated and I've cut back a lot on my training. I'm really considering to just get back to normal training and see what happens.
2013-08-16 9:42 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Emile, sorry to hear about your foot. Here is an article that was forwarded to me about the right mount of rotation in your swim stroke. It's pretty good with some photos that help make the points.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2013/08/whats-right-amount-of-rotati...

I hope everybody is still training and getting ready for their next event.

I have a 5k fun run tomorrow and an open water swim planed for tomorrow. On Sunday a 100 mile bike ride, followed buy a 3 mile run.
2013-08-16 6:58 PM

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Denise - The sport course of the tri I did had about 40 women, and the non-competitive triathlon had about another 10 women. So maybe 50 total? When is your triathlon? Is it women only?

Terry - I saw the article on swim stroke too. Also, can I be any more jealous of where you live when you post photos like that?

I started Boot Camp this week. Ouch. That's all my body has to say. :-) Muscles are being used in ways they haven't been used for quite some time, but on a good note I have great endurance to make it through the hour long work out. On the bad side, my body does not appreciate being subjected to those exercises for an hour! :-) I'm going to try and do a long ride this weekend - maybe 30 miles, and perhaps a long run. Still squeezing in 1 swim/week.
2013-08-17 7:57 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by crissy_jo

Also, can I be any more jealous of where you live when you post photos like that?

Seriously!

And good job on the boot camp.

Terry, good luck on your fun run, and enjoy the open water swim.

Emile, sorry to hear that you're having pain in your foot. Does it only hurt when running? Any pain after running or when cycling, for example? I hope it's not a stress fracture or anything like that. Keep us updated.

Wow, Mike, you got your medal from Chrissy W? That's really awesome. Cute picture, too, with her in the background :-)

Denise, I think it's great that you are training for a spring event! It is definitely hard to plan for events when there are so many things going on with family on weekends, especially if you don't see your 2 oldest during the week. I hope to be able to continue doing tris after my kids are grown - that's my goal anyway - and I figure by then, I might have time to train for an ironman event!

I had 8 miles early this morning, but felt pretty lackluster. The humidity is pretty high, and my calves are still feeling very stiff and painful for the first few miles. I might need to start foam rolling them.

2013-08-17 8:54 AM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Melissa... I'm a bit jealous, because I remember how fun it was to have big jumps in the PR. Now I'm training hard just to knock off about 5 minutes or so

Closing out the fourth week of Chicago training tomorrow. My first 100 mile week ever! Legs holding up to the Pfitz plan so far. The weather has been awesome.
2013-08-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: Landmammal

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by Landmammal
Closing out the fourth week of Chicago training tomorrow. My first 100 mile week ever!

I'm not even sure I've ever had a 100 mile month! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Emile - I was hoping your foot would be feeling better by now. Do different shoes affect your foot differently? Perhaps a less flexible shoe helps? I don't know, just throwing out ideas. I think you said he have been running less and now the foot only hurts after and not during runs. That sounds like an improvement, so you must be doing the right thing (run less).

Now I'm going to read a few of your race reports as I have some free time. I love reading those things!!!

I'm curious: What are your planned workouts for this coming week?

Mine is as follows:
Sunday: am: 4-6 mile slow run / pm: 30 mile bike
Monday: 1 hour boot camp
Tuesday: Bike to work (21 miles)
Wednesday: Run 2-3 miles. Swim 800 M
Thursday: Run 3-4 miles - speed work
Friday: 1 hour boot camp
Saturday: ??? day off perhaps
2013-08-18 3:35 PM

User image

Superstarch from Ucann......

I just tried this stuff for the first time today on a long run. I had heard about it when they started sponsoring Meb Keblezighi but recently learned that Ben Greenfield recommends it and uses it for IM fueling.

Anyways, I think it worked very well. From an energy standpoint, I felt great the entire long run... much better than I normally feel. If I had a second bottle after 90 minutes like they recommend, I think it would have felt even better. I don't entirely understand the science behind it, except that it provides some energy (123 calories in a bottle) but mostly encourages your body to use its own energy sources (glycogen and fat) better and more evenly.

Its a little pricey so I'll only be using it on key long runs and races.... I think it would be very good as part of a fueling strategy for Oly and IM distances.

http://generationucan.com/home.html
2013-08-19 4:27 AM
in reply to: Landmammal

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Ken... I read about the superstarch a while back... I've been fooling around with long distance fueling for a while now and have had great results with Hammer Perpetuem or Heed for shorter training days.

The 5k run was really fun.... it was horribly organized, but the friends I ran with made up for it..... It was very hot with a heat index over 100 and very humid,,, but that's summer, right?

What was supposed to be a 100 mile bike ride yesterday turned into a fiasco. I had two flat tires and ran out of tubes to replace. The last tube I had did not have a stem long enough to get make it through the carbon wheel i was using.... oh, well..... I was able to begin fixing the sprinkler operations (have to cut out two sections and replace the pvc) at home and had several long naps (been a while since i did that... i needed the rest.) Barbecued, chicken and veggies for back to school meal - school starts today -- school zones again, argh!!

crissy_jo... wow, your workout schedule is quite aggressive.... really nice. Lately I've been doing aerobic running and biking, nothing really pushing it until later in September when I get back to a more dedicated training regimen. I have planned out a strength program for me, I'll post it in a day or so.... to begin the pre training conditioning.... swimming will begin again really soon.... (Last season I began with swimming, this year it's running to lead the charge....)

Emile, how is the foot coming along??

(IMG_5166_resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_5166_resized.jpg (217KB - 20 downloads)
2013-08-19 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Terry sorry about the bad luck with your 100miler. Awesome pic! Looks like you had a blast at the 5k.

Crissy looks like you are going to stay busy with your workout schedule. I've never done a bootcamp but a lot of ladies I work with have and they tell me that they work their butts off.

Ken WOW! 100mile week is awesome! I think the most I have ran in a week is 55mi. I could not imagine running another 45.

Melissa foam rolling has helped with my calve problems. When they are really tight it can be a little painful but it sure has helped me.

Everybody thanks for all the concern on my foot. This is a great group! My foot has been feeling better. It doesn't really hurt much when I run it just hurts the rest of the day. It is getting close to my race so I threw caution to the wind and decided to go back to my original running plan and see what happens. I ran 10mi this morning and it felt pretty good and so far my foot has felt good after the run as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

2013-08-19 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
I have never done a fun run before... it was a blast... hat as all get out, but that's summer, right??

here is a link someone sent me to the recent triathlon I did. They had one of those remote control helicopters with a camera on on it....
The orange cap swimmers were all doing their first tri-- they had their own wave at the end....
you can see me at about 32-35 sec, on the left side of the screen with with a yellow baseball cap....

http://pdl.vimeocdn.com/59719/828/182111340.mp4?token=1376943098_cb...

2013-08-19 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
2013-08-20 3:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
2013-08-20 5:12 AM

User image

Absolutely beautiful. I find that video so motivating.... to move to Florida.
2013-08-20 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
That is an awesome video!! I love it! The swim looks so nice, such gorgeous water... now I feel like a swim :-)

Whew, Chrissy, I'm impressed by your schedule.

2013-08-20 5:02 PM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

New user
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the advice on bikes and getting situated :D I have found it very useful while preparing!

I am four days away from my first triathlon ever... I am freaking out. I know that it is just for fun, but people are expecting some crazy goals out of me. I met with a triathlon coach that wanted to meet with me, she said that I should be in top three for my AG no problem. She later said that I could be her star, and now I am nervous for my race. They say my first one should be just for fun.. I am not having much fun stressing out. Does anyone have anyway to calm the nerves and butterflies before a race? Already I am having a hard time sitting still, and the thought of the race is intimidating.

For my upcoming race is it normal to have a large amount of waves? The first wave that goes off is at 7:05, and my wave does not leave until 8:55 (Because I am in the 18 and under wave)! The nerves will get to me. In each wave they send two participants out each (4) seconds. Is that normal? Should I get to the front of my wave?

Are there any tips or tricks you guys have for transitions, beating the crowds, passing people, or any beginner advice? I think I am stressing out too much...

-Thanks!
2013-08-20 7:16 PM
in reply to: TheNewBlood

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Impressed by my schedule? Funny because I totally feel like I'm dogging it. LOL. I figured you guys were all doing 2x what I am doing or at least 2x the distances. I know for sure that Mr. Running Man (aka Ken) is doing laps around me. :-) I was hoping you guys would post your weekly schedule so I would get pumped to do longer distances. Well, except for Ken. He doesn't need to post his, because at 100 miles in a week I can say I'm exhausted and need a nap just thinking about it. :-P

Zach, don't sweat the triathlon, you will be fine. I'm sorry your new coach is putting pressure on you. I'm sure your coach knows you are new to this and are nervous, but it doesn't hurt to remind your coach (and everyone else) of this. Say "I'm not going to worry about speed and doing well, I just want to see what this is all about and enjoy my first race. Perfection can come later." :-) I was super nervous for my first race too and after it was all over I thought there was nothing to be nervous about, it was a blast! You need to experience this too. If you set up big goals (or worse, someone sets them up for you) at your first race and don't reach them how will that feel? My only goal was to feel like I put in a good effort and to finish. No times and no overall placement associated with it.

As for the wave starts, they always do waves to keep things from being congested. The more waves they do the less congested the course will be. I have only done a few tris but we never started 2 at a time - that concept is new to me. Hopefully someone can chime in on this. The whole wave (I've had from 15 - 120 people in my waves) started at once and we just line up according to where we think we should be. Slow swimmers in back, new swimmers or more timid to the outside (this was where I lined up for my first open water swim), and super fast or confident swimmers in the front. I lined up in the very front for my last 2 triathlons and did just fine.

As for the time when your wave goes off this can be a good thing. 1. You get to eat breakfast almost 2 hours later than all the people who race at 7:05! They will have to get up earlier than you just because they need to eat their food that much earlier than you! 2. You can watch the swim and see how it works, get a feel for what to expect when you go out there. 3. You can watch people transition to the bike. Perhaps learn a couple pointers.

My pointers. I use a BRIGHT or uniquely patterned towel to help me find my transition area. I like to be set up as close to exit for the bike as I can be, if that fails, then as close to the return entrance from the bike. Set your items up in the order you will put them on. UNBUCKLED Helmet upside down with sunglasses opened inside. Bike shoes pointed in the direction you will be standing (or sitting) when you put them on and fully opened so it is easy to put them on. Skip the bike gloves. Don't try to put a shirt on after the swim because it will be near impossible to put on your soaking wet body; swim in it or skip it until the run portion.

Try to announce before you pass someone on your bike by announcing "on your left" and then pass them on their left side. I announced this multiple times to 1 person in front of me and it took them more than 30 seconds to realize they needed to move from the middle of the lane to the right so I could pass. So here is your newbie notice: stay to the right unless you are passing. :-)

Last tip...watch as many youtube videos as you can. That helped me a lot. Especially ones that say "first triathlon".
2013-08-21 3:45 AM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Zach, I agree with crissy ... don't let anybody stress you out. You know how to swim bike and run...... take it easy on the swim for the first 60-80 stokes until you get into a groove, then you can push it... as far as everything else, this is your first triathlon.... it will take several before you figure out what works for you..... keep your transition simple... your water clean and "Run Forest, Run......"

Crissy... my IM workout program does not begin until September 23.... until that time this is my schedule...

Monday - weight training/core strength 30-45 minutes
Tuesday- Weight training/core strength - run 3-4 miles..
Wednesday - Weight training/core strength - run 4-5 miles (usually hill repeats/training) The Wednesday mileage will increase during the program...
Thursday -Weight training/core strength - run 3-4 miles
Friday - Bike ride-
Saturday - Long run - anywhere from 5-20 miles - bike ride
Sunday - Long bike ride

the running is based on a 20 week beginner marathon training program I found on line. the goals are to gradually increase mileage to build up endurance as most if not all the runs are aerobic paced and to build up all the necessary muscles to carry the body for the distance.

I'll incorporate swimming in the beginning of September again to gradually get back to training level.. Also, If i can get out on the bike during the week I'll do it
and, for example, the ultra runners group is planning a 12 hour endurance run friday night from 7pm-7am on the beach... so i'll go out friday night and run 15 with them .... and have some beers and pizza after....

Because school started this week, I'll have to adjust where necessary when my son gets all his extra-curricular activities planned out (daily band practice, gentleman's book club, ecology club, etc.....) --fingers crossed-- i have almost convinced him and his friend to join the cross country team....)
2013-08-21 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4727229

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
My typical week in my current training plan for my Sept race is as follows:

Mon. Long run/easy bike
Tues off
Wed. Medium run
Thurs. Short bike/short run
Fri. Bike intervals/short run
Sat. Medium run
Sun long bike

Work in 2-3 swims where ever I can.

Next weeks actual plan looks like.

Mon. Am. 1:50 run. Pm 1:30 bike (z1) 100+ cadence.

Tues. Off
Wed. Am 1:15 run. Pm ows
Thurs. Am 1:00 bike (z2) pm ows and :35 run

Fri. Am. :35 run. Pm. 1:30 bike with :30 in (z4).

Sat. 1:15 run
Sun. 3:00 bike
2013-08-21 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by tmoons[/

Because school started this week, I'll have to adjust where necessary when my son gets all his extra-curricular activities planned out (daily band practice, gentleman's book club, ecology club, etc.....)

+1 I'm in the same boat with school starting. My daughter is playing 3-5 softball games a week. I rarely missed a workout in the summer when I was off but between having to go back to work and softball I've already had to miss my monday bike workout the last 2 weeks.

2013-08-23 5:25 AM

User image

Hey everyone,

I've been away for a while. Tomorrow is my first tri. I'm pretty excited.

Last Sunday was my first 10K. I finished but felt like I was going to die about half way through. I'm not sure why. I had run that distance several times before. Maybe it was the course. I had never run there before.

So, this week I have been taking it easy. I biked about two and a half miles on Monday. Tuesday I swam a little bit in open water. I found an area at the beach where they have buoys set up for swimmers. I never knew they were there. Wednesday I ran two miles. Today I'll pick up my race swag and have a nice dinner.

So far I am pretty relaxed about the whole thing. I wonder if it's like skydiving? I felt calm and relaxed until the door opened at 3500 feet.

Do you guys save your numbers after you have finished your races? I read somewhere that people save them. They write the event information and their stats on the back and save them.

Alright. Time to get ready for work.

Have fun out there and be safe.

Don
2013-08-23 7:30 AM
in reply to: sigsby

User image

Veteran
Ha, Don, no... definitely not like skydiving! (not that I've ever done that...)

For me, I get all the nerves the night before and morning of the race. Once I am 30 seconds into the swim, it becomes a groove (just like Terry says!). Just one thing after another. Swim... get out... transition... bike... transition... and the next thing you know, you are starting the run and thinking - hey, this is the last thing to do!

Good luck tomorrow to both Don and Zach! I can't wait to hear your race reports.

My training has been off due to some knee pain on Monday through Wednesday. Yesterday, it actually felt fine but work and family kept me from getting my run in, so here I am Friday and no running since Monday. I do not like it when that happens, but bright side is that I got back in the pool (yay!) and my knee feels great today (YAY!).

This was also our first week of school, but after-school activities don't begin until next week. It's definitely a busy time of year, but I love it. I practically get choked up every time I walk through the school and see all the kids' excited/nervous faces, new backpacks and clothes, clean classrooms, waxed floors, new textbooks - I love it.

My plans for the weekend are:
Friday: Short run (2 mi) and swim (1300 yds)
Saturday: Long run (16 mi) and nap ;-)
Sunday: Bike ride (26 mi)

Have a great weekend everyone!
2013-08-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4835237

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Don and Zach good luck this weekend!

Don I save my race bibs and place them in a box with my medals. Don't really know why I save them but I do.

Melissa glad to hear your knee is feeling better.
2013-08-23 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Zach - Sounds like your tri is doing a time trial start. That's where 1 or 2 athletes start at pre-determined intervals. Not typical but some races do it that way. You've received good advice from others. I will only add, you train and race for yourself. Do it because you enjoy it and do it however makes you enjoy it the most. It's all about having fun, especially your first few races. Good luck this weekend!

Don - good luck to you too!

Ken - 100 miles running in a week, I can only say WOW!

I'm the opposite of most of you who have posted your training schedules. I've always been flexible. I base my schedule on biking weather. I like to bike on nice days with little wind so I'll look at the forecast and choose my biking days first, then fill in with run and swim. I will run in any kind of weather. I vary my distance and intensity, try not to do back to back hard run/bikes. I do hardly any bricks but I do multiple workouts on the same day just separated. I was very aware of my total time/distance last year when preparing for IM but this year I've been even less structured.

On the bike questions. Go to a bike shop and see what they have. Test ride some bikes if possible. Find out what size they put you on. Buy the best bike you can afford. Nothing wrong with a road bike to start with. Nothing wrong with buying used but it does need to fit. So it needs to be the proper size and maybe have adjustments made by a fitter. You need to ride lots to get faster, to make your engine better. You need to be comfortable to ride lots. That is why getting a bike that fits you is so important.

My next race is an Olympic on 8/31, maybe a duathlon in Sept. Possibly some running races in the fall.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 25