BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-07-31 8:49 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED
Sweet, I will track you KC! Do I need your BiB?

2013-08-01 1:34 PM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Extreme Veteran
That is so true!!

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

I think "Taper" is just coach code for PANIC! So you are right on schedule!

Originally posted by kcgolf

Yes I should be in Taper - but I am now in panick mode

KC

Originally posted by krazytallchick

KC, wouldn't you now be in tapering mode? You will need to give yourself at least 2 weeks off of hard workouts before the race as I am sure you are not ready to taper. At this point I would say just get your long bike and run in and not worry too much about the other stuff. And bubble wrap yourself the other times.

2013-08-01 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Everyone questions their training before a full, I think it is just natural. Just trust in yourself then you will be fine. Totally forgot that you have a race coming up. Is there a way for us to track you?

Do any of you use the online coaching through BT? If you do, what do you think? I am sure it is just nerves with my first full ironman being only 39 days away but I am beginning to doubt all that I have done and question if I really am ready for this.
2013-08-01 5:04 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Todd - you do not need my bib number - you just log in to http://www.myathletelive.com/

At the top of the page you click on track my athlete and pick the race and anyone who has the athlete tracker is listed for that race - just click on me Kevin Corriveau and promise to send me good internet vibes

KC

Originally posted by ettringite23

2013-08-01 5:06 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I just signed up for the www.myathletelive.com. Once it arrives (the week of the race) I will let you know how to track me. This device has really put my husband's mind at ease. He was trying to buy the Garmin 810 because it has a tracking device in it. The only problem is that I have to have it and my cell phone on me and my cell phone has to have a certain app running to make it send out tracking information. I think once the "my athlete live" is for sale, he will buy it. He worries when I have those long bike rides especially if I am riding alone.

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Everyone questions their training before a full, I think it is just natural. Just trust in yourself then you will be fine. Totally forgot that you have a race coming up. Is there a way for us to track you?

Do any of you use the online coaching through BT? If you do, what do you think? I am sure it is just nerves with my first full ironman being only 39 days away but I am beginning to doubt all that I have done and question if I really am ready for this.

2013-08-02 8:14 AM

User image

Chicago
I also think that mixing it up is important because your body will adapt to what ever type of pain and suffering you put it through. I have runs were I will stay in Z2 but I try to make sure that I also have runs in the same week were I go into Z3 and Z4. The longer in minutes that you can stay in higher zones the easier and faster you'll be able to run in Z2. This has worked for me in races. Especially half marathons and marathons.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Hi Mike.

I think mixing in some speed work will help you for sure. Tim will know the answer to this one.

KC

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Dumb question: I've been running in Z2 for a while now and I'm now doing 11 min/miles (so better than 13, but far from great). Should I be mixing in some faster work on my short days or something?

2013-08-02 8:17 AM

User image

Chicago
KC, I will try to sign up so that I can track you. This will be new for me so I hope that it works. Best of luck and trust your training and your will.

Todd - you do not need my bib number - you just log in to http://www.myathletelive.com/

At the top of the page you click on track my athlete and pick the race and anyone who has the athlete tracker is listed for that race - just click on me Kevin Corriveau and promise to send me good internet vibes

KC

2013-08-02 7:50 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

Last long ride is tomorrow - not really that long to be honest with you - 75 miles. Wish me luck.

KC
2013-08-02 8:09 PM

User image

Regular
Good Luck!
2013-08-03 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
My first olympic tri is in three weeks. The typical feeling of being undertrained has entered my mind. Here are my volumes for July:

Swim: 6h 34m 37s - 16136.09 Yd
Bike: 11h 52m 03s - 192.29 Mi
Run 7h 46m 33s - 49.78 Mi

Granted, this is my highest volume monthever. I still feel that it is not enough for an Olympic. Thoughts? In my next couple weeks, what should I focus on? Probably increasing my swim volume?

Thanks in advance,

Todd
2013-08-03 8:25 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Todd.

I think you are doing great. More swimming never hurts - even a few more bikes but fight the urge to ramp up the running. You are going to rock it!

KC

My first olympic tri is in three weeks. The typical feeling of being undertrained has entered my mind. Here are my volumes for July:

Swim: 6h 34m 37s - 16136.09 Yd
Bike: 11h 52m 03s - 192.29 Mi
Run 7h 46m 33s - 49.78 Mi

Granted, this is my highest volume monthever. I still feel that it is not enough for an Olympic. Thoughts? In my next couple weeks, what should I focus on? Probably increasing my swim volume?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

2013-08-03 8:32 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

Got my last long ride in today before IM MTB - 75 miles. I know I have missed way to much because of the ankle injury to make it up so I am going to have to just be realistic in what I can do and that is that. I don't have near enough run miles or bike miles in so I will have to race smart, pace close attention to nutrition and let the chips fall where they may. For the next two weeks I will be doing a lot of stretching and eating healthy as well as working my taper work outs to the best of my ability. Wish me luck everyone - I am going to need it.

Be safe. Day off for me tomorrow and my body and mind need it.

KC
2013-08-04 2:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
KC - I think you are going to do awesome, just try and stay positive and not dwell over what workouts have been missed, but instead look at what you can control from here on in.

Todd - good luck with your up coming Oly... I would look at maybe throwing in a few bricks, just to get your legs used to that change from bike to run, that is always the bit I find the most challenging on race day.

Hope everyone is well.. I am just recovering from two weeks off with a chest infection. back into it on Monday thank God, I was starting to climb the walls with boredom! Still 15 weeks to go till my half, so plenty of time to get down to race weight and get some speed in my legs.

2013-08-05 11:32 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Extreme Veteran
Todd - During this time do what you can and don't stress about your workouts. Right now it is more about getting your mind ready. Good luck!

Can't wait to track KC and Michelle.

As some of you may saw on my FB page, Road ID has an app for the phone. This is only good for training and not for any racing. Road ID is beta testing the app however both my husband and I are really liking it. The only issue I have is that you have to enter how long your workout is going to be. I did a bike ride for 4 hours this past weekend, so I put in 5 hours to count for stops and that was enough time. I did a 2 hour run and put in 2 hours and 15 minutes but I went over as I ran longer and had some stops so it stopped tracking before I got back home. So you have to remember to give yourself more time. It will also alert the person if you haven't moved for 5 or 10 minutes, you can decide the length. This is not to replace the Road ID bracelet, or anklet with your identification on it, it is so that someone can track you.

NEEDING YOUR HELP!!!! On my long training runs/rides I have oatmeal and the last few times I had to force myself to eat it. This weekend I tired an English Muffin with peanut butter and that too didn't work well. What is your go to meal before a long workout?
2013-08-05 5:29 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Regular
KC, Michelle, and Simone,

Thanks for the advice! I My anxiety over the Olympic distance is building. So, some reassurance is nice!

Michelle,

I eat a bagel with peanut butter 3 hours prior to long workouts. But, I am horrible at nutrion I do 95 percent of my training without nutrional consideration..which is horrible

Speaking of which, I am going to be doing some longer workouts and bricks. I would like suggestions on biking and running nutrion. I need to find some combination that I can digest and will work during my Olympic. As I previousaly stated, my nutrional considerations have been limited. I usually just bike with powerade. I have tried Gatorade chews but they upset my stomach. Thanks in advance.
2013-08-05 5:32 PM

User image

Regular
Oh, and I picked up another race on Sunday on a whim. I did the Naperville triathlon (400m, 12.4, 5k). I had my best race to date. I finally put a good swim, bike, and run together. Transitions were superb as well. I finished 14 out 133 in age group and 111 out of 1500+ overall! My race report is here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2013-08-06 4:57 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Todd - seriously awesome my friend - you are going to rock the Oly!

KC

Oh, and I picked up another race on Sunday on a whim. I did the Naperville triathlon (400m, 12.4, 5k). I had my best race to date. I finally put a good swim, bike, and run together. Transitions were superb as well. I finished 14 out 133 in age group and 111 out of 1500+ overall! My race report is here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-06 5:01 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Just checking in to day hello. 12 days until I hit that starting line. My plan called for a short bike only today but I had some time so I decided to do a 30 minute aqua jog as well. If nothing else it makes my mind think I am catching up on all the workouts I have missed and is easy on the body

I hope everyone is staying safe.

KC
2013-08-07 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on the great race and the placing in your AG. Try to throw in at least 100Y of sighting practice each workout focusing on making it as seamless as possible. It will pay off. Great job on the bike and being as efficient as possible.

Here is a link to my race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Overall, I had a very good race! I got 2nd in my age group out of 10. Here are some of my things I did well and not-so-well:

Swim:
I didnt warm up. I have found this is key for me to have a good swim. I need to institute a swim warm up and/or some land activities. I had the worst OWS in my short tri career....which is very disapointing with my increase swim volume and increased speeds in the pool. I continue to have sighting issues. I really need to practice this more. My head was not into it prior to the swim. I normally get excited and have butterflies in my stomach...all good things IMO. But, this time, I was just thinking...."get this swim done". Attitude adjustment! My form was bad..first time this has happened. I was breathing harder than normal and felt like throwing up..I think this is because of me taking on water. I need to practice more OWS, period!

T1: Good, had issues getting nutrition in my tri-suit. Need to work on that.

Bike:
I had a very good bike. This is by FAR the hilliest course I have every been on: training or race. I did very well climbing and on downhills. I have been biking hills once per week, and this paid off. I have created this aero postion where I almost put my chin on the handlebars; hands on drops; sit way back on my seat; and tuck my elbows in tight. I have learned to ride this out as long as possible prior to peddling. I think this paid off well in the race. This helped keep my HR down and preserved precious energy I drank Powerade throughout. I tried a Clif bar and could not get it down. I need to try gels again and see if any work for me. During the last 1/2 mile, I lowered my gear and spun-out my legs. I think this was beneficial to my good run. I have learned (from tight quads and calves in previous races) that this helps out tremendously. Averaged 19.3 MPH! I was anticipating 17.5 based on my training and amount of hills.

T2: Very good; even with starting the run by heading towards the bike out...rookie mistake! Ran and jumped on the bike...went well. Had trouble getting my feet in my shoes fully; the tongue of the shoes was twisted. Just need to work on that. Need to work on getting more speed prior to tightening down my shoes. Had a rubber band not break; this can be corrected by selecting the right rubber bands to tie up my shoes.

Run:
The run was very good. I had a negative split and finished very strong. Was shooting for sub 8 min miles. I averaged 7:35 and finished strong. I think I could have pushed a little harder.
2013-08-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Expert
Mike -Trying throwing in some Z4 pacing at least one a week. My plan last year had me doing a lot of 45 minutes at Z2 then 15 minutes Z4 to finish up the run. In general for run training you want to try and incorporate 3 key workouts - Recovery run, Speed Run, and Long Run. Your speed run could be maybe 1600 or 800 repeats, tempo run (do 1-2 miles at Z2 then do 2 miles Z4 then 1-2 mile cool down), or strides or fartlek workouts that have you increasing your speed in the middle of you normal run.

The speed workouts help your leg turnover and won't do much for your endurance but it is good to just mix it up.

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Dumb question: I've been running in Z2 for a while now and I'm now doing 11 min/miles (so better than 13, but far from great). Should I be mixing in some faster work on my short days or something?
2013-08-07 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Michelle - It is completely normal to be doubting yourself right now if you have done enough. Remember - Ironman racing is not about how fit your body is but rather how well you drive the body on race day. Pace yourself, dial in your nutrition and believe in your training and you will be just fine.

2013-08-07 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
KC - you are going to be fine. Everyone has issues and miss workouts. The key thing is more how does the ankle feel? If the ankle feels great then don't worry about what you missed while healing it. You would be much worse off if you just kept pushing it to keep your workouts but had a bum ankle still - right?

I remember tallying up my missed workouts during my taper fro IMWI (why I did this I have no idea - what a confidence booster haha) and I wa shocked that I had missed somethign like over 50 workouts and of course I started freaking out. At the end of the day maybe I would have finished 20 minutes faster or something . You have the right attitude and I think will be pleasantly surprised how well you do next week.

Hi Team.

Got my last long ride in today before IM MTB - 75 miles. I know I have missed way to much because of the ankle injury to make it up so I am going to have to just be realistic in what I can do and that is that. I don't have near enough run miles or bike miles in so I will have to race smart, pace close attention to nutrition and let the chips fall where they may. For the next two weeks I will be doing a lot of stretching and eating healthy as well as working my taper work outs to the best of my ability. Wish me luck everyone - I am going to need it.

Be safe. Day off for me tomorrow and my body and mind need it.

KC
2013-08-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Expert
That sounds terrible - hope you are feeling better!

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Hope everyone is well.. I am just recovering from two weeks off with a chest infection. back into it on Monday thank God, I was starting to climb the walls with boredom! Still 15 weeks to go till my half, so plenty of time to get down to race weight and get some speed in my legs.

2013-08-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Expert
So I apologize for my absence the last few weeks. I ended up taking a complete week of which i have not done in a long time. I took the family up to our place in Wisconsin and basically worked 12 hours a day on the place. I had a bunch of run workouts that i blew off and figured I have devoted so much time to training the past few years that one week of fixing the place up and spending with the kids is not gonna kill me.

I have been focusing on mostly running for the Chicago Marathon since Racine 70.3 and it feels weird. My wife even has been suggesting I get to the pool or ride the bike to stay in shape haha. The running has been going good and I am feeling more confident each day about my sub 4 hour goal. I have a 16 miler set up for this weekend which will be the longest I have run in along time so we will see how that goes.
2013-08-08 6:45 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Just checking in to say hello.

KC
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28