BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-02-16 3:57 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: 7 weeks and still going

Rod, sounds like you're really on a roll with the training now. Great to hear you can get to a pool during your lunch break, I'm jealous! Mark, good on you for climbing back up on tha wagon, it can be fun up here .

2gs, sorry to hear things aren't going so well on the home front at the moment. Family issues are always the most important, are hardest to deal with, and do tend to muck up the training somewhat! It's hard to get time away when the kids are sick, but if you can grab a spare half hour or more sometimes just getting out on the road or in the pool is just what you need to clear your head and get things into perspective. There's something about the monotony of endurance training that's almost meditative, and the endorphin kick from the physical activity always makes you feel better. Good luck!

2014-02-16 4:25 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I decided this weekend I should start working on those long bike rides I'll need for the HIM. I thought I'd head out to the cane fields near the coast, I wanted a flat ride so as not to put too much pressure on my still-recovering calf. The ride started beautifully, nice and cool, barely a breeze and I was zipping along at 30km/hr hardly raising a sweat. I did wonder briefly where the wind was, it's usually a pretty windy area but it seemed calm today. Maybe I was just lucky! It was an out-and back route, I'd planned 30km so at 15km (starting to tire a little now) I turned around and found where the wind was. Behind me! Major headwind the whole way home, I was struggling to make 20km/hr, the wind was getting hotter, the traffic getting heavier and I was no longer so happy!

In the end I just plodded along in the low gears and consled myself with the knowledge I will get stronger from having to push it today. And on the plus side, as I was going slower I got to look at more of the scenery, watched a pair of black kites swooping low over the road and doing loops up onto the power lines. We rounded off the day with a family trip to the beach and splashed around in the water for an hour or so--not real swimming but counts for some upper body resistance work, I'm sure .

2014-02-16 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4950100

User image

Subject: Fallen off and now back up
Thanks for the posts.
I did 500 yards in the pool today and 30 minutes on the treadmill and feel good about it. I'm reconnected to my goals of learning biomechanics and form. It's so easy to get discouraged when thinking distance and pace and not living up to expectations.
2014-02-16 5:24 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Subject: ---
2014-02-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Subject: RE: BACK ON TRACK TOMORROW
My daughter came home from college to visit this weekend. Will be back on track tomorrow.

You all have a great week !!!
2014-02-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Goals
I haven't swam all week due to weather and pool closings. Getting back on track starting with a short run this morning.
Even though I am still in my base building phase, I feel like I need a goal. Like a checkpoint in my journey.
I want to focus on my swimming more without my run suffering.

My duathlon and triathlon are not until August.
I have individual goals for each discipline.
I want to be able to swim a mile and from there swim that mile once a week to keep fit while doing drills and such on my master swim days.
I want my long runs to be an 8-10 mile standard run so I am always be ready for a short to mid distance race.
Become a stronger biker especially on the hills. I still cant stand and ride.

Want would be a good mini goal?
Should I focus on just getting each of those personal goals or should I throw in a race like a half marathon, 10miler, mini indoor tri or sprint triathlon or even PRing on a 10K?

Edited by Lovey 2014-02-16 7:40 PM

2014-02-16 7:46 PM

User image

Hey Taringa

Do you ride on your drops (if a road bike) or on tri bars to minimise wind resistance?

I'm not very good at riding on the drops for extended periods but working on it. Last year I did a 100km charity ride, 97 kms were into a head wind. My lowest speed was 8 kmh, some riders were even getting off their bikes to walk at that stage.

Anybody out there use clip on tri bars?

Rod
2014-02-17 9:47 AM

User image

Good hearing from everyone - especially those who feel that their workouts had started to slip away and now they're back at it!

Lovey - Definitely pick up race events between now and August. Even 5K/10K events can be very motivational. I'm running a 5K this Friday and I've been so excited for the last two weeks.

Rod - I've never tried any kind of tri bars, I've always used the drops on my bicycle. I kind of feel like my drops are good enough... but clearly many people use the tri bars for a reason and maybe I should try them out. Does anyone else have personal experience using the drop vs tri bars and find a significant difference?
2014-02-17 3:51 PM

User image

I LOVE my Aero bars. I feel like I am *resting* when I am laying down on them. It is such a relief to be able to get in the aero position and just rest your upper body instead of having to hold it up using the regular drop bars. I can also BLAZE through the wind when I use them. Just a word of caution that it takes some getting used to when it comes to the steering. I went from a heavy Cruiser/crossover bike to my Tri Bike and It is a entirely different feeling. They also make for some really cool photos! LOL seriously though I love them as it lets me have a rest!

Edited by Pixiedustlady 2014-02-17 4:02 PM
2014-02-17 4:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Once again some amazing stories from our group surfaced during the week. There seems to be a common thread that we all face challenges before we even start to train to get race ready whether they be family commitments, environment, time, illness or injury.

The cold & snow in the USA made the nightly TV news here in Australia. Lovey’s & Pixie’s experiences reinforce this. My wife & I are going to USA in December as we want to have a white christmas so we will experience those conditions first hand.

I worked 7 days this week including 2 night shifts. I got 3 swims in and 2 gym sessions. I joined as a member of the pool near work. I can get to the pool, swim for 30 minutes, shower and be back at my desk in under an hour. Much better than surfing the net while eating a sandwich during my lunch break.

Last night I took stock of where I’m at: I’m in the best shape I’ve been in for about 20 years after only 7 weeks of serious training, starting to aim beyond the “enticer” races and thinking of longer distances as my self belief and fitness improve, I feel like I’m training for 3 sports not 1, The rate of improvement increases weekly I feel like I’m achieving something even though I haven’t raced yet. I know I've got a long way to go but I'll get there.

Hope you all have a good week

Rod

Rod~
Way to go on the workouts! Good job joining the pool near work! That will make it so much easier for you to get that swim in! Yes you really are training for three sports instead of one! It is fun to *move up* in terms of looking at longer races. Yes we have had some really freaky snowy weather here in the USA. I live near the coast so any mention of the word snow sends people into a tailspin and we have had three snow storms in one month. You mentioned you and your wife are coming here for December to experience the snow....may I ask where you are headed? Some places you can count on snow like clockwork at that time of the year. I remember when we went on our honeymoon in Australia we landed on December 24th and it was soooooo hot out!! I truly love your country and would move there in a heartbeat! Cairns/Port Douglas was my favorite spot.

Keep up the great work!
Darcie

2014-02-17 4:04 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Originally posted by dwilling

My daughter came home from college to visit this weekend. Will be back on track tomorrow.

You all have a great week !!!

Now your going to lie and say you have a daughter old enough to be in college... ya right... look at your profile photo....no way!!!

Have a great visit!!

2014-02-17 4:06 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Fallen off and now back up
Originally posted by 2gs

Thanks for the posts.
I did 500 yards in the pool today and 30 minutes on the treadmill and feel good about it. I'm reconnected to my goals of learning biomechanics and form. It's so easy to get discouraged when thinking distance and pace and not living up to expectations.

Way to go!!! Yes I agree that all of it can be overwhelming! Great job on getting back in the pool and for the run on the dreadmill!
2014-02-17 4:13 PM

User image

Originally posted by Taringa

I decided this weekend I should start working on those long bike rides I'll need for the HIM. I thought I'd head out to the cane fields near the coast, I wanted a flat ride so as not to put too much pressure on my still-recovering calf. The ride started beautifully, nice and cool, barely a breeze and I was zipping along at 30km/hr hardly raising a sweat. I did wonder briefly where the wind was, it's usually a pretty windy area but it seemed calm today. Maybe I was just lucky! It was an out-and back route, I'd planned 30km so at 15km (starting to tire a little now) I turned around and found where the wind was. Behind me! Major headwind the whole way home, I was struggling to make 20km/hr, the wind was getting hotter, the traffic getting heavier and I was no longer so happy!

In the end I just plodded along in the low gears and consled myself with the knowledge I will get stronger from having to push it today. And on the plus side, as I was going slower I got to look at more of the scenery, watched a pair of black kites swooping low over the road and doing loops up onto the power lines. We rounded off the day with a family trip to the beach and splashed around in the water for an hour or so--not real swimming but counts for some upper body resistance work, I'm sure .

Taringa,
Loved reading this story! That wind can be a killer but you are right! It will make you that much stronger from having to fight through it to get back. Sounds like you had a fantastic day! Way to go!

Edited by Pixiedustlady 2014-02-17 4:14 PM
2014-02-17 4:29 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
I went to the gym today with my husband and had a horrible swim. I did not use any of the training aids that I have been working with. My breathing was really off. I have no problem UNDER the water, it is when I turn to grab a breath, I am not getting enough air. My husband swam in the next lane and patiently did drills with me. My legs got tired fast. I have not swam in a few days as I had a sinus thing going on. When I have swims like this it makes me feel like I should cross off any hopes of ever doing any kind of swim out of a pool and over 300 meters. I know I am expecting way to much out of myself as I just learned how to do the Freestyle last month. Lately the pool has had crazy hours because of the freak snow. I have another swim lesson booked with the swim coach that I hired last month. She only wanted me to work on certain drills and she wanted me to use my fins and snorkel for some of them. I love my snorkel as it lets me breathe and I don't struggle to get some air. She wants me to use my snorkel in my upcoming race. Snorkels ARE legal but I have only seen one person use one. I read on another forum here on BT that someone was also using a swim snorkel for training and wanted to also use it in their upcoming race.... someone responded that you DONT want to be *that guy* that has the snorkel. Its not cheating and if it was such a great advantage then EVERYONE would be using one. After my swim I did 30 min on the spin bike, my base building continues on the bike and heart rate stayed right where it should be.

Hope everyone has a great week! now back to the Olympics!
2014-02-17 5:42 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Pixie, just a thought, are you exhaling underwater while your face is down? Holding your breath can make it really difficult to get enough air in. There are a few threads over on the Total Immersion forums that have some useful stuff in them: 

http://totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3342

http://totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1878

Some of the advice is good, I found some of the advice counter-productive, but there are some good ideas and different ways to visualise and practice that may help you.

2014-02-17 5:46 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hey Taringa Do you ride on your drops (if a road bike) or on tri bars to minimise wind resistance? I'm not very good at riding on the drops for extended periods but working on it. Last year I did a 100km charity ride, 97 kms were into a head wind. My lowest speed was 8 kmh, some riders were even getting off their bikes to walk at that stage. Anybody out there use clip on tri bars? Rod

I haven't moved up to aero bars yet, but I'm considering it. Like you, I'm working on riding on the drops, it's just spending time in that position and getting used to it. Getting off to walk due to wind! Now that's a blowy day.

2014-02-17 5:48 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Dayra and 2gs, good to hear you're both back on track! Keep at it .

2014-02-17 6:25 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Ha ha, Thank you!! :-)

We had a great time together, mother and daughter shopping, lunch together and a movie.

Back on track today.

You have a great week!!
2014-02-17 7:33 PM
in reply to: Jcdyess

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jcdyess

Howdy everyone! I apologize for my absence seeing as how I was one of the first to join. I look forward to the encouragement and advice. I have 2 rides in the last 2 weeks. I work for Frito-lay so the last few weeks have been extremely hectic for me. As far as having enough time to do a half by august? Absolutely have the time. I trained for a half marathon in 4 months and finished in 2:21:00 coming off the couch at 235 lbs. good luck!! Looking for a good FIRST tri in Dallas area in April. Any suggestions?

Welcome back again I have only done one Tri in your Area and it was put on by Play Tri in Los Colinas and was a great race. I would look into them for some races. Tri Find.com is also a great play to search for races as well as right here through BT. There are alot of Tri's in Keller, McKinney's, Heck all around you.
2014-02-17 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I've fallen off
Originally posted by 2gs

The past two weeks I've done very little. My work week is long, I've had sick kids and relationship issues. That aside I know there's been time and I haven't taken advantage of it. I find myself in a slump and not connected to my commitment and the fun/joy. I'd really appreciate some inspiration and advice. Thanks for reading/ listening

I can tell you that for me, making myself get in the work during the time that you have, can really help to relieve some of the stress in your life. I'm sure I'm telling you something you know, but I know for me that a workout kind of takes alot of Junk out of my mind. Stay active here and you will stay active there, no one wants to post daily that they have done nothing.
2014-02-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I've fallen off
Originally posted by mbrassette

Hey 2gs...

I can totally relate to falling off the wagon! That was last week for me -- great intentions of getting up early and doing something each day, etc. Didn't happen.

So I just pressed restart and did it this week. Worked out much better this time and after just getting back from a 5 mile run, I realize that I NEED to do this and it keeps me sane for sure!

So just press reset and start again. Set a goal of a little of something each day. I've found that a visual calendar or something that you can mark on will help keep me motivated to stick to my schedule, whatever I decide that is.

You got this!

-Mark

Great Advice!

2014-02-17 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Once again some amazing stories from our group surfaced during the week. There seems to be a common thread that we all face challenges before we even start to train to get race ready whether they be family commitments, environment, time, illness or injury.

The cold & snow in the USA made the nightly TV news here in Australia. Lovey’s & Pixie’s experiences reinforce this. My wife & I are going to USA in December as we want to have a white christmas so we will experience those conditions first hand.

I worked 7 days this week including 2 night shifts. I got 3 swims in and 2 gym sessions. I joined as a member of the pool near work. I can get to the pool, swim for 30 minutes, shower and be back at my desk in under an hour. Much better than surfing the net while eating a sandwich during my lunch break.

Last night I took stock of where I’m at: I’m in the best shape I’ve been in for about 20 years after only 7 weeks of serious training, starting to aim beyond the “enticer” races and thinking of longer distances as my self belief and fitness improve, I feel like I’m training for 3 sports not 1, The rate of improvement increases weekly I feel like I’m achieving something even though I haven’t raced yet. I know I've got a long way to go but I'll get there.

Hope you all have a good week

Rod

This is so great to hear. Don't worry to much about races or distances, they are just extra icing on the cake, but fun all the same.
2014-02-17 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Great job of getting that first long ride in. I believe that wind is most peoples biggest killer on the bike and can defeat us some much quicker then anything else. You are giving if want you got, struggling, and can see very little return for your effort. I compare it to running up hill for an entire 5 or 10 K. Just stinks, but it does make it alot easier when it happens to you on race day, which we never know until race day. Great Job again.
2014-02-17 8:12 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Goals
Originally posted by Lovey

I haven't swam all week due to weather and pool closings. Getting back on track starting with a short run this morning.
Even though I am still in my base building phase, I feel like I need a goal. Like a checkpoint in my journey.
I want to focus on my swimming more without my run suffering.

My duathlon and triathlon are not until August.
I have individual goals for each discipline.
I want to be able to swim a mile and from there swim that mile once a week to keep fit while doing drills and such on my master swim days.
I want my long runs to be an 8-10 mile standard run so I am always be ready for a short to mid distance race.
Become a stronger biker especially on the hills. I still cant stand and ride.

Want would be a good mini goal?
Should I focus on just getting each of those personal goals or should I throw in a race like a half marathon, 10miler, mini indoor tri or sprint triathlon or even PRing on a 10K?

Tracy only you can know what will keep you motivated or would be a goal properly suited for you. I know you know this but for others in the group, I really like to mix in tri's, group rides, and runs to keep things fresh and as a reward for my work. I also think that you may be getting to a point that you may need to set a race / distance standard and work towards that (whether individual or tri). You may just need to say I'm going to do an Olympic, take up a plan, and work to race day, blending in some shorter fun time / training races. I think some times we get hung up on trying to do / set to much as training alone goals. I can not go out right now and run 8 -10 miles easily and have a Half Ironman in an little over 7 weeks, but I'm not to worried about it.

Also, what kind of problem are you having standing while cycling? Is the wreck in your head or is it something else?
2014-02-17 8:20 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cassowary

Good hearing from everyone - especially those who feel that their workouts had started to slip away and now they're back at it!

Lovey - Definitely pick up race events between now and August. Even 5K/10K events can be very motivational. I'm running a 5K this Friday and I've been so excited for the last two weeks.

Rod - I've never tried any kind of tri bars, I've always used the drops on my bicycle. I kind of feel like my drops are good enough... but clearly many people use the tri bars for a reason and maybe I should try them out. Does anyone else have personal experience using the drop vs tri bars and find a significant difference?

I have aero bars on my road bike and as you have seen in a previous post a tri bars on my triathlon bike. I never ride my road bike anymore and am always on my tri bike. There were a couple of things that areo bars did for me on my road bike. 1. Gave me the abliltiy to decrease wind drag 2. Allowed me to have a different riding postion, made me a better rider, but most of all told me that I really enjoyed riding like that and wanted a tri bike. They do serve a purpose and it can help your speed (more aero). Quit a few people put them on and only use them while going downhill or when they know that will not be having to shift. That is their down side on a road bike, you have to pretty much come up to shift and then go back down.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.