BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-04-16 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!
Hello group,
I wanted to share something I am having done to my bike. Maybe it is something that would work for you. One thing I have difficulty with is when I am going fairly fast in the aero position, sitting up to hit the brakes always seem to make the bike a little unstable. I found out that a third brake handle is made that is designed to go on the end of your aero bars and fits right in without interfering with your shifter. This way you can scrub off a little speed without sitting up. I haven't gotten it installed yet (next saturday) but I will let you know what I think. Anyway just a thought for the group.

2009-04-16 6:41 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa
Thanks everyone, your support means alot.
I will let you know how it goes. The nerves are starting to ease up and turning into excitement.
Scott, the third brake sounds cool, keep us informed
Again thanks for all your help and support.
Jeff
2009-04-20 4:44 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa
First thank you everyone for helping me on officially becoming a triathlete.  I did better than I expect my goal was 1:30:00 (300 yard swim, 16 mile bike, 3 mile run), my time was 1:20:56. I was secretly hoping for top ten in age group I finished sixth. I also finished
29th out of 169.  Now all the good stuff out of the way, I had trouble on the swim. It was a time trial start leaving every ten seconds. The first 25 yds I took one breath the second 25 yards I had to pass someone and only took one breath. Then the next 100 yards I did free style, breast stroke, and old swimming with head out of water, at the 150 mark I stopped slowed my breathing down and finished the last 150 freestlye and finally relaxed sort of. During that tuff stretch I did not think I was going to finish the swim.
Does anyone have any advice on what I did wrong or will this get better with each race I do. I was very disappointed with my swim. In training I was easily swimming this distance a minute faster.
Back to the good stuff. I felt very good on the bike finished in 47:45, the run when I think back I think I was a bit conservative, although I ran the 3 miles in 23:51, this is the fastest I have ever ran 3 miles.
Again thanks for all your support and input.
This board was great.
Rest time and then start thinking about the next one.
Also I had a great time the race was very friendly. My family loved it, that my wife is encouraging me to do another one, she had such a good time.
What a great family weekend.
2009-04-21 1:37 PM

Regular
Way to go Jeff! You did great (not that anyone is surprised.) I am also happy that it was fun for the whole family.

You certainly need someone else's input about the swim part, but it sounds like nerves/excitement/going out to fast thing to me.

Congratulations, and I hope you keep racing.
2009-04-21 6:13 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa
Thanks Cole, I really do appreciate it.
I would like to compete again, not sure when.
2009-04-22 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2098143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
spinepa - 2009-04-20 2:44 PM

First thank you everyone for helping me on officially becoming a triathlete.  I did better than I expect my goal was 1:30:00 (300 yard swim, 16 mile bike, 3 mile run), my time was 1:20:56. I was secretly hoping for top ten in age group I finished sixth. I also finished
29th out of 169.  Now all the good stuff out of the way, I had trouble on the swim. It was a time trial start leaving every ten seconds. The first 25 yds I took one breath the second 25 yards I had to pass someone and only took one breath. Then the next 100 yards I did free style, breast stroke, and old swimming with head out of water, at the 150 mark I stopped slowed my breathing down and finished the last 150 freestlye and finally relaxed sort of. During that tuff stretch I did not think I was going to finish the swim.
Does anyone have any advice on what I did wrong or will this get better with each race I do. I was very disappointed with my swim. In training I was easily swimming this distance a minute faster.
Back to the good stuff. I felt very good on the bike finished in 47:45, the run when I think back I think I was a bit conservative, although I ran the 3 miles in 23:51, this is the fastest I have ever ran 3 miles.
Again thanks for all your support and input.
This board was great.
Rest time and then start thinking about the next one.
Also I had a great time the race was very friendly. My family loved it, that my wife is encouraging me to do another one, she had such a good time.
What a great family weekend.

Hey Jeff,
Congratulations on your race. That is great in a lot of ways. It is neat you can get your family involved too. It is a great way to have fun as a family.

I had something very similar happen on my first swim in a tri and it took me a while to figure out. What I found is I started out too fast and couldn't move the air I needed. It felt like I was going to drown. I think three other groups pass me while I tried to just finish. For the rest of the summer when the starter said go I would count to three before I went. This forced me to slow down and also took me out of the frantic pack of people that are trying hard to go fast...which isn't me anyway. Not sure if that is the same for you buut it worked for me and I didn't have any trouble the rest of the summer (other than just general fitness :-) )

COngratulations again. Welcome to the club.

2009-04-22 4:54 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa
Thank you Scott, you hit the nail on the head. When I think back to the swim, I rushed to get moving and totally forgot about my training. No relaxation, no thought process, a totally blank mind, brain dead at the start. I will need to work on this.
Thanks again for all your help.
2009-04-25 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2103609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
spinepa - 2009-04-22 2:54 PM

Thank you Scott, you hit the nail on the head. When I think back to the swim, I rushed to get moving and totally forgot about my training. No relaxation, no thought process, a totally blank mind, brain dead at the start. I will need to work on this.
Thanks again for all your help.

Well glad it helps. I have totally been where you were on the swim and I tried to blame the wetsuit or anything else I could think of. I was also so mad when I got out of the water that I flew through the rest of the tri (kinda funny).
2009-04-29 10:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello everyone,
I think I am going to officially close the group. I do want to say first though what a pleasure it has been to be a small part of this fun adventure you are on. I hope the group was helpful to you and that you have a successful rest of summer.

Thanks Cole for coming aboard and helping out. I always appreciate your advice and humor.

Well I will keep in touch via inspires so I am sure we will chat again soon and who knows maybe some day we will meet at a destination race. Fun fun.

Best wishes to you all,
Scott
2009-04-30 6:34 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa
Scott and everyone thank you very much for your time.
Good luck to everyone this summer.
Jeff
2009-04-30 7:45 PM

Regular
Don't give up on the destination race idea! That is such a fun thought.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19