BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-17 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2221228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
cjhild - 2009-06-16 10:01 AM
You'll be fine

Thanks G.

For a workout, if I have an average HR in zone 2 or 3 where I want it to be, is this a "good" workout?  So if I have spikes throughout the workout up into 160-170, but my average is in zone 2 am I making progress towards my endurance goals?  Does this make sense?  I think I understand what I am trying to say better than I am able to type it.

What I shoot for is Steady power/pace average with my HR not exceeding the top of my zone -- so if you can average Zn 2 power/pace without your HR leaving Zn 2 then that is a high-quality endurance workout.

See my article this week on XTri.Com -- I'll be speaking directly to this point in detail.

You want to train your capacity to hold steady power/pace at a steady heart rate, without spiking.  That's the building block for World Class Endurance.

2009-06-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2224277

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
BabsVa - 2009-06-17 11:22 AM

cjhild - 2009-06-17 10:43 AM

The pool I swim at is outdoors.  I get started at 5:00 am, around 5:30 am someone nearby starts cooking bacon.  I do not know who it is, but I hate them.

Gak! Bacon.

Noseclip? ;-)

5:00 am that's pretty early. You're hardcore, dude.

I love the smell of bacon. When I am running in Minocqua WI, I pass by this "all you can eat" lumberjack restaurant and the smell of bacon, waffles and donuts is wafting out.  YUM.  I never stop, but it is a great experience with zero calories!

Welcome back Ken.  Maui is one of my favorite places. We usually stay in a condo on Kanaapali Beach. Hopefully you had a chance to head towards the Road to Hana and eat at Mama's Fish House, my all time favorite seafood restaurant with a view equally as awesome.

Anyone racing this weekend? big plans?  Oly #2 is on the docket for me.  Doing it as a BIG TRAINING DAY per G.  Have HR caps on the ride and run, but I am still looking forward to the experience. Anytime I can make it through a 1.5K swim it is a good day for me!

Suzy
2009-06-17 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

New user

Suzy
No, did not get to Momma's Fish House, someone had recommended it, we just did not get up there.  We had our anniversary dinner at Lahaina Grill, which was outstanding...

We are already thinking about when we can go back, and take the kids w/us.  A condo seems to make the most sense, mostly b/c you can cook your own meals (save $$$)...  we checked a couple out, and we were really impressed with the Ali'i condos... wow!!!  We stayed at the Westin this trip, but definitely going condo next go around...

Gordo - just became a fan of "Coffees of Hawaii" on FB, they seem to have a nice selection... I really loved the Kona coffee while in HI...

K

2009-06-17 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2225389

User image

Champion
Ken in AZ - 2009-06-17 6:03 PM

Suzy
No, did not get to Momma's Fish House, someone had recommended it, we just did not get up there.  We had our anniversary dinner at Lahaina Grill, which was outstanding...

We are already thinking about when we can go back, and take the kids w/us.  A condo seems to make the most sense, mostly b/c you can cook your own meals (save $$$)...  we checked a couple out, and we were really impressed with the Ali'i condos... wow!!!  We stayed at the Westin this trip, but definitely going condo next go around...

Gordo - just became a fan of "Coffees of Hawaii" on FB, they seem to have a nice selection... I really loved the Kona coffee while in HI...

K

Ken

Check out VRBO.com before you commit to anything.  Many great condos at prices better than hotels.  We usually stay oceanfront at the Whaler.  The condo itself is older, but most units have been updated. 

Suzy
2009-06-17 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2225389

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-06-17 5:03 PM

K

The owner is a guy called, Albert Boyce, great guy and smoking fast triathlete.  He's come to a few of our Epic Camps and won the Yellow Jersey at New Zealand Epic 2008.

2009-06-18 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2224277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
5:00 am that's pretty early

It's funny, my wife's family was over.  Her brother was complaining about how tough it is to get up at 4:30 and leave the house at 5:00 to be at work at 6:00 am.  I leave the house at 4:00 to be at the pool by 5:00 and work by 6:00 am.  I just smiled and agreed, it's tough. 

2009-06-18 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2225084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

I love the smell of bacon

This is my problem, I enjoy the bacon.  If you added waffles and donuts I would never get into the pool.
2009-06-18 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G- Laura's post got me thinking about stroke count.  How much emphasis do you put on stroke count?  I was counting it a bit this morning and I seem to get across the 25 yard pool in about 15 strokes cruising at a pretty relaxed speed.  Should I be going faster/getting in more strokes?
2009-06-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2224160

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Ken

we celebrated 17 years together

Congrats Ken, that is awesome.
2009-06-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2225084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

Anyone racing this weekend? big plans?

I am on the countdown to the following weekend.  I am checking directions, reviewing my triathlon race checklist, studying the course, etc.  I am nervous/excited with the longer distance.

This weekend we are taking the kids to the local marine base to climb on some tanks, I have a run/bike brick, volunteer at soccer sign-ups, long ride, father's day extravaganza, short ride.  Good stuff.

You going for a course record or what?  You are a racing stud!  Can't wait to see your race report.  Good luck!
2009-06-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2226517

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-18 9:03 AM G- Laura's post got me thinking about stroke count.  How much emphasis do you put on stroke count?  I was counting it a bit this morning and I seem to get across the 25 yard pool in about 15 strokes cruising at a pretty relaxed speed.  Should I be going faster/getting in more strokes?

Justin,

This workout is a good way to assess stroke count.

++
Warm up with...
400 nice and relaxed
4x100 build
4x50 steady
***all of the above on 15s RI
++
Then do 10x50 on about 15s rest - choose a send off that stays the same
1 - Count your strokes and track your speed in seconds
2 - Your score for each 50 is strokes + speed
3 - Do this set "steady" effort and track your score
++
Then swim 200 nice and relaxed
++
Then repeat the set on 20s rest - choose a send off that stays the same
1 - This time aim for a faster effort
2 - See how many seconds you gain
3 - See how many extra strokes you use
4 - Track your score
++
Cool Down 

What you want to see is if your strokes buy you more speed -- as well as what happens to your strokes as you fatigue.  The longer swim set and different efforts will let you see that.

2009-06-18 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2220541

I average about twice a week swimming. I also have attended some classes (in pool and open water). I know I need to swim more often. My goal for the off season is to focus on increasing upper body & core strength and swimming more. During the summer I'm trying to balance all  3 sports + weights and yoga. Basically I'm focusing on my technique as I know I can't "power" through the swim successfully. 

ps - I'm now on Twitter. What's your Twitter name so that I can follow? 

Edited by laurabuchholz 2009-06-19 12:22 AM
2009-06-19 10:06 AM

User image

Champion
Morning Everyone...hope you are all ready for a good weekend!

G

I found out the HIM I signed up for lost its USAT sanction last year for several violations.  How should I think about that? does that happen often?   I scoured through the BT and ST forums and found a lot of negative press related to course accuracy, lack of signage or volunteers on the bike course, and general safety issues on both the bike and run course.   All of it concerns me, but it is the only late season HIM in WI.  Do I avoid it? or just be aware of the potential problems?

Thanks
Suzy
2009-06-20 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2228225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
laurabuchholz - I'm now on Twitter. What's your Twitter name so that I can follow? 

I'm @endurancecorner.

2009-06-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2228803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-06-19 9:06 AM Morning Everyone...hope you are all ready for a good weekend!

G

I found out the HIM I signed up for lost its USAT sanction last year for several violations.  How should I think about that? does that happen often?   I scoured through the BT and ST forums and found a lot of negative press related to course accuracy, lack of signage or volunteers on the bike course, and general safety issues on both the bike and run course.   All of it concerns me, but it is the only late season HIM in WI.  Do I avoid it? or just be aware of the potential problems?

Thanks
Suzy

It's not unique to find people complaining on internet forums, so I'd take that with a grain of salt.  You can probably find stuff about most races, coaches, athletes, you name it out there.

Safety would be a concern for me but difficult to assess remotely.  I tend to race similar to how I train (I'll use my brakes in a race and don't barrel through intersections with my head down).  Both BT and ST have the ability to personal message posters so you could do personal research.

Course accuracy and signs -- those are easy to deal with (my view).  First there's no such thing as an accurate course in triathlon.  Just the way it is - lots of variability.  For signs, you can equip yourself with a map and review the course in advance -- really depends on what you expect and want.

I've raced a wide range of qualities -- if there are risks on the bike course then take those seriously as you'd don't want to get into a car accident just to save a few seconds.

2009-06-21 10:37 AM

User image

New user
Hey -- happy Father's Day to all the Dads on our board, especially to our mentor!  Hope you are having a great day with your daughter, Gordo!

Quick favor for Facebook users --

I entered a contest on the Athletes for a Cure (prostate Cancer) page, and I am one of the 10 finalists.  If you are a Facebook user, please go to the Athletes for a Cure Page (I will try and post a link on here) and if you are not a fan, become one...  If you are a fan, please post "I vote for Ken Wilkens" on their Wall....

Hey, if I win I get a pair of Newton Running shoes, and what better way to help me become a better midfoot runner???  Thanks all!!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Athletes-for-a-Cure/18591002822?ref=nf

2009-06-21 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
What's the world coming to when the best part of today's Oly is the swim? and the worst part is the run?    RR is up.

I decided to do this race as a BIG TRAINING DAY.  I knew going in the bike was way more challenging that anything I had done to date, climbing over 2500 ft, but I figured it would be good practice.  Thankfully, I made it up all the hills and didn't have to walk like some people, but I really underestimated the fueling.  As a result, the run was an awful death march that I have not endured in a very long time. Cramping, running from sign to sign, walking, UGH.

G-I know that fueling/hydration is a very individual thing, but do you have any tips on how to make sure you are taking in enough to sustain you through the run?  or at least feeling good entering the run?  I have had problems ingesting calories when my HR is too high before and get bloated/side stitches/etc., but in a course like this I didn't have a lot of options.  My HR was way into Z4/5 climbing and while I tried to spin it down on the descend, I would hit another hill before it happened!  Is it possible to learn to drink when your HR is threw the roof? Any ideas for me?  The HIM I plan to do is hilly so I need to figure this out soon.

Thanks
Suzy
2009-06-21 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2232162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-06-21 3:46 PM What's the world coming to when the best part of today's Oly is the swim? and the worst part is the run?    RR is up.

I decided to do this race as a BIG TRAINING DAY.  I knew going in the bike was way more challenging that anything I had done to date, climbing over 2500 ft, but I figured it would be good practice.  Thankfully, I made it up all the hills and didn't have to walk like some people, but I really underestimated the fueling.  As a result, the run was an awful death march that I have not endured in a very long time. Cramping, running from sign to sign, walking, UGH.

G-I know that fueling/hydration is a very individual thing, but do you have any tips on how to make sure you are taking in enough to sustain you through the run?  or at least feeling good entering the run?  I have had problems ingesting calories when my HR is too high before and get bloated/side stitches/etc., but in a course like this I didn't have a lot of options.  My HR was way into Z4/5 climbing and while I tried to spin it down on the descend, I would hit another hill before it happened!  Is it possible to learn to drink when your HR is threw the roof? Any ideas for me?  The HIM I plan to do is hilly so I need to figure this out soon.

Thanks
Suzy

Good question - if you need fuel to run when then your bike effort is limited to the maximum that you can ride and fuel yourself.  Sounds simple but often forgotten.

It's a similar thing with heat -- we need to slow to the conditions that are presented to us so that we can run well and optimize our races.

For calories in higher intensity/higher temperature events you'll find that liquid with no protein works best in your tummy.

g

If you  
2009-06-22 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G,

Currently I am thinking about a four plan to get up to an Ironman distance.  This year I have done/will do 4 sprints and one international.  Next year my goal is 6 sprints and one olympic.  The following year would be short course building to a HIM and then an IM in the fourth year.  I am still working on a bachelor's degree, so I plan to have the time to commit to HIM/IM training in year three and four.

My question is, how many hours a week would you recommend to train for a HIM?
2009-06-22 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Dudes, I had a CRAPPY swim this morning.  I wore the watch for the first time in the pool.  Normally I set a time goal for the whole workout and make sure I hit that (30 min, 45 min, etc).  I was doing a 2x100 with the watch and swam way too fast, felt very winded.  On my main set I struggled hitting the lap button, my earplug almost came out twice (I cannot stand water in my ears, I wish I could because earplugs are a pain).  Also got water in my goggles during the main set.  Whenever I introduce time/speed into my training I fall apart.  On the run if I am thinking about pace I blow my HR up, this morning was a cluster with the watch on.  When I changed the Garmin to time and HR only my run enjoyment increased ten-fold (thanks Suzy).  Really finding that I need to stay out of that "got to be fast" mindset.  Rant over.

I did feel great on my run out of the pool so that helped a lot.  Kept my HR down until the last couple minutes of the run.  In the car after my run I was trying to have a pity party over my swim.  Then I thought how lucky we all are to be able to train, be outside, live fit lives.  Last week I hit my first 10 hour training week and I have been riding a pretty big high on that.  I crashed my own pity party rather quick once I remembered that.  Good times.
2009-06-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2233662

User image

New user
cjhild - 2009-06-22 7:56 AM Dudes, I had a CRAPPY swim this morning.  I wore the watch for the first time in the pool.  Normally I set a time goal for the whole workout and make sure I hit that (30 min, 45 min, etc).  I was doing a 2x100 with the watch and swam way too fast, felt very winded.  On my main set I struggled hitting the lap button, my earplug almost came out twice (I cannot stand water in my ears, I wish I could because earplugs are a pain).  Also got water in my goggles during the main set.  Whenever I introduce time/speed into my training I fall apart.  On the run if I am thinking about pace I blow my HR up, this morning was a cluster with the watch on.  When I changed the Garmin to time and HR only my run enjoyment increased ten-fold (thanks Suzy).  Really finding that I need to stay out of that "got to be fast" mindset.  Rant over.

I did feel great on my run out of the pool so that helped a lot.  Kept my HR down until the last couple minutes of the run.  In the car after my run I was trying to have a pity party over my swim.  Then I thought how lucky we all are to be able to train, be outside, live fit lives.  Last week I hit my first 10 hour training week and I have been riding a pretty big high on that.  I crashed my own pity party rather quick once I remembered that.  Good times.

Nice recovery from the pity party!!!  I am sure Gordo will jump in with advice, but just know that everyone has bad days in the pool (and on the bike, run, weights, etc) -- don't beat yourself up too much (I am pretty good at that myself)...

Training "slow" is hard to do, but it pays dividends, and you won't be injured as much, will increase your aerobic muscle fibers, your ligaments, etc.

I will be faced with that challenge tomorrow morning myself.  I am up here in Colorado, at altitude, and the area around the Qwest training center is fairly hilly.  My HR is not going to be easy to keep in range, but if that means walking up hills and jogging down, so be it.  I just turn the annoying 'beep' off. 

Sorry you had a bad swim....  when I start falling apart in the water, I try to slow down, focus on technique, and not worry about how fast/slow I am swimming, and if I feel really crappy, workout is done. 

You will have a better training day tomorrow!!!

ken

2009-06-23 7:53 AM

User image

New user
Justin, was thinking of you this morning on my run (and walk) in CO.  Hello high HR!  Hello lots of walking.  Oh well, it is what it is.

Off to a fun filled day of meetings!

ken
2009-06-23 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2235715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Ken in AZ

Thanks Ken, I appreciate it.

I had an awesome swim today.  I seem to have a great swim after a really bad one.  I think that I have a good one after because I do a lot more positive self-talk going into the next swim as the previous sucked.  I did 1,100 straight for the first time.  It's not the Babs1500, but it's my PB so far.  I was at 800 and figured I was close enough to 1,100 (the swim distance for my tri on Sunday).  I feel much more confident going into the race having done that distance straight before race day.
2009-06-23 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2236687

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-06-23 9:58 AM
Ken in AZ

Thanks Ken, I appreciate it.

I had an awesome swim today.  I seem to have a great swim after a really bad one.  I think that I have a good one after because I do a lot more positive self-talk going into the next swim as the previous sucked.  I did 1,100 straight for the first time.  It's not the Babs1500, but it's my PB so far.  I was at 800 and figured I was close enough to 1,100 (the swim distance for my tri on Sunday).  I feel much more confident going into the race having done that distance straight before race day.

First, congrats on the PB.  1,500 is not that far away.  I had a lousy swim today which hasn't happened in a while so I am glad to read your note.   Tomorrow is a big planned workout for me so I am going to do some of that positive self talk before I hit the deck.  Thanks Justin.
2009-06-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2233644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-22 8:47 AM G,

Currently I am thinking about a four plan to get up to an Ironman distance.  This year I have done/will do 4 sprints and one international.  Next year my goal is 6 sprints and one olympic.  The following year would be short course building to a HIM and then an IM in the fourth year.  I am still working on a bachelor's degree, so I plan to have the time to commit to HIM/IM training in year three and four.

My question is, how many hours a week would you recommend to train for a HIM?

I prefer to look at the question the other way -- how many hours do you have to train consistently?  You set that week up then you make sure that you have an endurance progression on the schedule so you can dial-it-up for your key workouts in the last three months before the race.

The consistency/key workout approach works a lot better than shooting for a weekly target that is most often beyond reach.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27