Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-24 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Jennifer- scroll back through our pages. Jackie answered a rough open water swimming question for me - around the first week of June.
Relax and remember that you are trained well
You will do great!
Dee

2009-06-25 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Hi- I managed to get a 3 mile run in this morning! It's going to hit 90 here today- so I"m glad I got out this AM. It felt good- my knee was a little sore from last nights bike ride, but not bad at all.

Does anyone else do a late night workout followed by an early AM one the next day? Any suggestions for how to make it work? My legs felt pretty tired and slow this AM.
2009-06-25 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Nice work on the back to back workouts. Those are tough sessions but they can really boost your level of fitness if you do them every once in a while.

Yes, I do back to back workouts where I go out at night then again the next morning.
I will almost always do these with a swim at night, followed by either a bike or run the next morning. I think doing a bike/run at night and another bike/run in the morning can be really draining on the legs. Maybe if you did your run at night, then biked in the morning that might be better since the bike is low impact.

What is everyone else up to today? I am taking today off after last night's session. I did my first of 4 "breakthrough workouts" last night as my final push for the Boulder Peak Triathlon. It was a 1 hour ride followed by a 30 minute run. I was really happy with the workout. I must have gotten stronger/faster on my bike because I was able to add this hilly loop onto the ride and still finish in 1 hour. The run felt great- the transition was fine on my legs and I finished 3 miles in 28 minutes.
The book I was reading about the whole BT workout said you should need 72 hours to fully recover and be ready for the next BT workout. That sure feels about right today as my legs are pretty tired.

(if you don't know what a BT workout is).... the theory is that the final 3 weeks before a race should be comprised of 2 weeks of Peak Training plus one week of taper/Race week.
So in the 2 weeks of Peak Training, you focus on doing race simulation workouts at your target race pace on similar terrain. These workouts are all much shorter in duration that the race, but the intensity is at or a little below race pace. You do 4 of these in the 2 week period with very very easy workouts in between and recovery days after the hard days. This is supposed to boost your speed and get you to the race in top shape. This is my first season experimenting with this type of training, so it will be interesting to see my race time this year compared to last year.
Does anyone else use this type of training?
The book is called GOING LONG by Joe Friel, and although the book is targeted at Ironman distance triathlons, the concepts can be easily applied to any distance triathlon.

It's all thunder and lightning here this afternoon, so we are camped out inside with the a/c on.
Time for me to go do some math with my number-cruncher son

Dee
2009-06-25 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
btw, how is your knee now? Did you ice it after your workout?
I almost always ice my knees after a run since I am prone to running-induced knee injuries.

Have a GREAT DAY!
2009-06-25 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Dee- I didn't ice my knee. It feels good as the day went on.

I often ice my foot, as that's my problem spot.

On a totally seperate [no tri] topic: Apparently both Michael Jackson and Farrah  Fawcett died today. Very sad news.

I was never a huge MJ fan, but he definately shaped the pop culture of my adolescence. Farrah was just cool.
2009-06-25 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
QOTD: How the heck do I find a running partner? There are a few running clubs around here- do I have to join one? Or is there another way?

2009-06-26 12:23 AM

User image

Master
So I've packed 3 sports bras so I *WILL* go running at least 3 times.  right?  right?  hmm, maybe I should pack the MP3 player too.  Where's my list?!

I gave up and published my RR without 'official' times.  The race group might not even post official times, I thought they did last year but now can't find em.  Here it is in all its glory...

As for finding running partners... Craigslist?  Or posting on BT in your state forum?  I just hit up another BT'r to see if she'd run with me.  She's training for an IM but some runs are paced well for me.  I might also bike with her as I could do one loop and then beg off.

-Cynthia
2009-06-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2242634

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning everyone

I occasionally do late night/ early morning workouts because our weeknight masters swims are 8-9.30pm.  I'll often run the next morning but I tend to just run and not do important/key workouts.

As for running partners,  I have found a few people that I could run with just by chatting with other mums at kids activities.
We have several running groups around here too.  Try googling or looking up or asking at your local running store.  Ours organises group runs, track workouts, distance runs, all sorts. I'm happy running alone though so I haven't used them.  Also they tend to be in evenings and weekends which doesn't suit me - but does cater to the less fortunate who have daytime work hours! 

As for breakthrough (BT) workouts, yes I have them in my training.  I don't think they are limited to the few weeks before the race as my coach scheduled them throughout the season (except for over winter maintenance/base).  As far as I know they are more challenging workouts that aim to take your fitness to another level (hence break through) but taxing your system (aerobic, muscular, nerve pathways etc) a bit more.  Always recover well from them.   They should always be priority workouts in that it is better to prepare for them by not being tired etc - a bit like key workouts in that respect.
Very useful, especially when you have got a good base established and as Dee mentioned for some of the weeks pre race

Jackie
2009-06-26 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
A few years ago I started a local women's running group. I set up a free yahoo group website, then I posted flyers and information at all the local running stores and information on the local running group's website. We now have about 100 women in the group and I can almost always find a running partner through our website if I want one.
I tend to run alone alot also, but sometimes it is nice to chat and run
2009-06-26 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
Hi all -

Sounds like everyone has been working really hard and doing well!  Who has races this weekend?

Cynthia - I can't find final race times either... so I'm just going off my watch.  : )  The pics are fun - are there gonna be more?

I personally was pretty sad about MJ - his music is fun, and it's just a sad way to die. 

So my next big race is on... I think the 26th of July.  It's the SF half marathon - the first half.  I really could use some help planning a training schedule for the race!!!!  It's pretty hilly and windy, and they have a min time of like... 13:40 per mile.  Which I think is fine, but I'd love to finish faster than that.  And in an ideal world... maybe it would feel OK too? 

I wrote up a potential training plan a few months ago... I think it needs updating, and I really didn't have a strategy so it's a bit random.  I'll email it out if anyone wants to take a look....

Take care!
2009-06-26 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Are you training for a tri at the same time you are training for the half marathon?
If you are only training for the half marathon, you might want to take a look at Hal Higdon's programs on www.halhigdon.com - I have had good luck using his programs in the past.
If you are swimming/biking at the same time, then I think the running volume on his programs is too high - you might want to back the runs down to 3x/week instead of the prescribed 4x/week.

If you want to email me your program, I can take a look at it. I am not a coach but I do have lots of experience in distance running.

Dee

2009-06-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2245728

User image

Master
Di, there should be more pictures posted next week - there will be a link on the RDs page (I think).  The MM photos are a startup group who was not contracted to be at the event.

I cancelled my workout this AM to care for my ear-aching son.  He's now got 10 days of antibiotics after a lunchtime doc appt.  makes the final day of vacation prep that much more fun... argh!    Hopefully vacation will still be fun with a cootie-bug along.

OK, off to get the chores done!  this was my 5 minute rest until my DS claims cuddle time again.

-Cynthia
2009-06-26 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
i am planning on training for the half marathon only for the next month.... but hopefully i'll be swimming on my days off.

Dee - i'll definitely check out the link, and i'd love your input.  what is your email address?
2009-06-27 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!
My goals this past week were to:
 get in 3 runs
  Increase the time of each run
  NO Walk breaks.

I met all three goals- this morning was my 3rd run!
It's so much easier to do, now that my husband is done teaching for the summer.

Run goals this week: (starts tomorrow)
3 runs- increase the time/distance
So, 30minutes/ 35 minutes/ 45 minutes.

Bike goals:
At least 2 bikes- totaling 180 minutes. So this might break down into 3 rides. I know this isn't incredibly structured, and i'll get more specific after tomorrows ride.

There is a 4 miler next saturday morning that I'm contemplating entering. It mioght be a fun way to kick off the holiday.

Does every one else have goals for the week?
2009-06-27 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
My goals for this week are to do 2 "breakthrough" workouts and take lots of recovery time. My olympic-distance race is in 2 weeks and it is time for me to do some shorter workouts as final prep for the event. We are leaving Monday night to visit family for 10 days, so I may be out of touch until we get back.
I am excited about the trip- my father in law has 2 kayaks that we can play around with on the lake before we take them down the creek. I also hope the 4-wheelers are working because we love to ride the fields and trails on them.

Here are my more specific workout goals for the week (took some adjusting due to the vacation).
Monday- brick workout swim 1500 + bike 1:30 hills (morning before our flight)
Tuesday- recovery
Wednesday- run 45 minutes
Thursday- brick workout: swim 1000 + bike 1:00
Friday- recovery
Saturday- run 45 minutes
Sunday- rest

My email is [email protected]

Have a great weekend and week!
Dee
2009-06-29 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Good Morning!
Dee-Have a great week of vacation. You'll be missed around here
Rachel- is everything okay?
I gave myself a rest day yesterday- I had managed to train for the 6 days previous to that, so I thought it was warrented. I did get up and go for a bike ride this AM, which felt great.

I've decided to see if I can round up a few women to run with once a week. So, I posted a group on myspace. Tonight is the first scheduled run. I'm doubtful that anyone will show this first week, but it's a start. Next, I'll take Dee's advise and start a Yahoo group.

Have a great day everyo one!
-Heidi

2009-06-29 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2249673

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good afternoon
Have  a good vacation Dee.

I probably had the worst training week for a long time last week.  What with my inlaws to entertain etc.  Partly my own fault because I decided that for the first week that kids were off I would not get up early to train just to try and catch up on some sleep, especially with playing card games late into evening.

This week is different. I am going to start in the getting up routine, even though we are off to 1000 islands for a few days later in the week.  See, life happens and even for someone like me who has been training pretty regularly for quite a few years has hiccups too!
i have a couple of weeks before my 12 week lead up to the duathlon I have my sights on as an A race. So my plan for the next couple of weeks is just to get out when I can and do what I can.  The plan I will be using in a couple of weeks is concocted from one of the du plans from this site plus I will be adding my swimming as I still am doing a couple of other tri's this year.  I do like the plans on this site, especially when you get used to them so that you know what type of workouts fit in and you can adapt if necessary.
Anyone racing this weekend?

Jackie
2009-06-29 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Jackie-It's good to know we all run into training hiccups some times!

I've got a couple of good things happening- there is a fun run scheduled in the park tonight, so if no one shows up for the run I posted, there will still be a group run going on.

Also, this Saturday, theres a 4miler to kick off the holiday, that I think I'll take part in. It's i the city that I'll be in for the weekend, so it should be fun!
2009-07-01 5:38 AM

User image

Expert
Happy July!
Cynthia, how's your little guy? Is he feeling any better?

I did go to the group run on Monday. It appears that it's a continuation of an 8 week program the store sponsored to get people ready for a 5K. So most people seemed to know each other, and I was certainly the odd man out. This Monday, I'll try again. And, I put out an invite to over 20 women I know, to see if anyone will join me.

Have a great day.
-Heidi
2009-07-02 6:22 PM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone -

Heidi, good luck starting up a running group!  It's so nice to have company. 

Jackie, I hope this week is going better for you. 

I've really been slacking with the workouts.  I've been pretty tired from work, and there's been some other things going on.  However, I'm planning a long run for this evening (when it's cooler!), lifting for tomorrow, and a run on saturday and sunday... so hopefully everything will be back on track.

Hope to hear from you all soon.
2009-07-03 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2259351

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Hello all
Good luck with everyone's plans for the holiday weekend - training, racing or just relaxing (surely not!)

The weather up here is not good.  I managed a run yesterday before the rain but this morning it was pouring.  I hope to get out later after a day out in Kingston with the family - for another run.  I just didn't want to get my trainers soaking this morning when I'm not at home so can't dry them easily. (feeble or what?)  I brought my wetsuit but there are so many boats I am reluctant to swim on my own - and I don't know about river currents here.  There is a small beach area but no one has been keen to come and buddy me in this weather.  So running when I can is it for now.  I did a great, short ride on Weds before we left home so was pleased with that.

Back home tomorrow night

Jackie

2009-07-03 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone! I managed to escape the family mayhem and snag some computer time this morning

Workouts are,to say the least, interesting while on vacation. I have no bike to ride which bums me out. There is some kind of mountain bike outside but I am afraid it would fall apart at speeds over 5 mph. The good news is that my running is strong this week- I have gone out 3 times since we've been here. This morning I ran this 3 mile trail loop with my hubby and then we did some hill repeats on the only hill we could find.
We are having a great trip visiting family. I learned to kayak on the creek this week- that is really fun. I may have to find myself a kayak next summer.

Have a wonderful July 4th and I'll check back in when we get home next week!
Dee
2009-07-03 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Wooo Dee!  I'm going kayaking for the first time today too! 

I hope everyone has a safe, fun holiday weekend. 
2009-07-03 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
It's good to see every one!
Dee and Diana- I love kayaking! It's more fun tha canoeing, IMO. Theyre super fun to tip, too

The weather here has been really lousy. Rain/thunderstorms everyday and evening
2009-07-03 9:41 PM

User image

Master
I'm back... one run short of my goal of three runs... but the "creek house" had 52 stairs down from the door to the creek, which I ran multiple times each day to fetch snack, drink, lunch, etc, as well as an additional 43 steps up to the parking area which I did a few days also...  with the hills I did run and the stairs, my calves got a proper workout.

Tonight after the kids' bed I might go for a run.  DH is shot, but I figure once the kids are to bed I can sneak out to make my 3rd run, though we have no eggs or milk so I should make a grocery trip too/instead.  We'll see how I feel after battling the kids to bed.

-Cynthia
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27