BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-02-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2655060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
calimavs - 2010-02-04 12:43 PM Hi everyone! I've been MIA this week, hope everyone is getting in some good training. I'm tapering for the half marathon on Sunday and am totally and utterly exhausted. I've heard this happens to some people when they back off to prep for a race but it doesn't make it any easier. I did put in four extremely fast (for me) miles on Tuesday night so I'm feeling strong, just really tired. Just thought I would pop in and say hello.

Good luck! You are going to rock it!

2010-02-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2655060

User image

Veteran
calimavs - 2010-02-04 12:43 PMHi everyone! I've been MIA this week, hope everyone is getting in some good training. I'm tapering for the half marathon on Sunday and am totally and utterly exhausted. I've heard this happens to some people when they back off to prep for a race but it doesn't make it any easier. I did put in four extremely fast (for me) miles on Tuesday night so I'm feeling strong, just really tired. Just thought I would pop in and say hello.

Go Get 'Em!!!! Have a great experience.
2010-02-04 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2656006

User image

Veteran
lovesreading - 2010-02-04 7:34 PMI feel like such a hypochondriac asking this, but I'm new enough to running I don't know when to worry and when to HTFU.  I've had what feels like a bruise inside my right heel for about a week.  It hurts when I lift my heel up, shifting weight to the toes, rather than when I land on it.  It doesn't bug me enough to slow me down, I can run through the pain, which eventually fades.  New shoes?  Dr? Time off running? Quit whining?  Ignore it for a while longer?  I'm only running for 30 to 45 minutes, about 3-3.5 miles a time.  My shoes are a year old with only about 185 miles on them.

Cheryl

When you feel pain or an injury, HTFU doesn't help. Of course I would keep running on it, which means you should probably do the opposite and listen to your body and see what is going on. The part that stands out to me is that you say it doesn't hurt when you land on it but when you shift your weight forward. You should not be landing on your heel and that might be part of the issue (do you have knee or back pain too? Not just when you run). Something else, do you wear your running shoes for day to day activities or at the gym while doing other things? That ages and damages them pre-maturely and should be avoided.

In my very non-medical guesstimate, your ligaments are having a party and they didn't tell you about it.
2010-02-04 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Thanks guys!
2010-02-05 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Margot, good luck with the half! I bet GG Park is beautiful right now. Enjoy the experience of your first half! Plus, you seemed to have lucked out with the rain (knock on wood). Sunday is supposed to be nice! Looking forward to the race report!
2010-02-05 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison

Happy Friday everyone!

Anybody use paddles? If so what type/brand? My left wrist likes to go limp and I need to fix that (and a myrid of other issues) Is there a type that I need to stay away from? Besides being conscious about my hand any drills would be helpful too. I vaguely remember the hand cup drill? LONG time ago when I first learned how to swim.

Have a great weekend and happy training! 

2010-02-05 9:41 AM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey everyone! Happy Friday.  margot- good luck on the marathon this weekend!  This week has been a pretty good week for training.  I swam yesterday and I was ready to rock my swim...but then pool was packed! I was sharing a lane with a slow swimmer and I had to after each 100m I had to wait for him to get at least a pool length ahead of me so I wouldn't creep up on him. It was a bummer because I felt energized and my stroke felt strong, but then I would need to stop and wait.  Oh well, what can ya do!?

I wanted to get everyone's input on this.  I don't have a trainer for my bike so my bike training is spin class until it gets nice out. What is the best way to average the amount of miles biked during an hour long spin class?  I was looking at my january totals and my bike workouts looked so low, but I've been going to spinning twice a week. 

Next week I'm going to start my half mary training...we'll see how it goes.  I'm going to cautiously begin training (I'm using Hal Higdon's novice 1/2 mary training plan) and see how my body responds.  I'm excited to push myself a bit more, so hopefully everything goes well!

Happy weekend everyone!
2010-02-05 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2656781

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
erin.kelsey - 2010-02-05 7:41 AM Hey everyone! Happy Friday.  margot- good luck on the marathon this weekend!  This week has been a pretty good week for training.  I swam yesterday and I was ready to rock my swim...but then pool was packed! I was sharing a lane with a slow swimmer and I had to after each 100m I had to wait for him to get at least a pool length ahead of me so I wouldn't creep up on him. It was a bummer because I felt energized and my stroke felt strong, but then I would need to stop and wait.  Oh well, what can ya do!?

I wanted to get everyone's input on this.  I don't have a trainer for my bike so my bike training is spin class until it gets nice out. What is the best way to average the amount of miles biked during an hour long spin class?  I was looking at my january totals and my bike workouts looked so low, but I've been going to spinning twice a week. 

Next week I'm going to start my half mary training...we'll see how it goes.  I'm going to cautiously begin training (I'm using Hal Higdon's novice 1/2 mary training plan) and see how my body responds.  I'm excited to push myself a bit more, so hopefully everything goes well!

Happy weekend everyone!

Before I got my trainer I mainly did spin classes during the week too. For estimating mileage during spin class, I usually go by how many miles I could complete in a hard hour on the road and then use that average to estimate what I did in the spin class.

I used the Higdon novice half marathon plan to get ready for the race on Sunday. I really liked the plan a lot, highly recommend it. Starts out nice and slow and eases you into it which I found to be nice.
2010-02-05 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2656702

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-05 9:10 AM

Happy Friday everyone!

Anybody use paddles? If so what type/brand? My left wrist likes to go limp and I need to fix that (and a myrid of other issues) Is there a type that I need to stay away from? Besides being conscious about my hand any drills would be helpful too. I vaguely remember the hand cup drill? LONG time ago when I first learned how to swim.

Have a great weekend and happy training! 

Never liked paddles much, I have a pair of webbed gloves if you want to try them out.
2010-02-05 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2656180

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Big_D - 2010-02-04 10:51 PM
lovesreading - 2010-02-04 7:34 PMI feel like such a hypochondriac asking this, but I'm new enough to running I don't know when to worry and when to HTFU.  I've had what feels like a bruise inside my right heel for about a week.  It hurts when I lift my heel up, shifting weight to the toes, rather than when I land on it.  It doesn't bug me enough to slow me down, I can run through the pain, which eventually fades.  New shoes?  Dr? Time off running? Quit whining?  Ignore it for a while longer?  I'm only running for 30 to 45 minutes, about 3-3.5 miles a time.  My shoes are a year old with only about 185 miles on them.

Cheryl

When you feel pain or an injury, HTFU doesn't help. Of course I would keep running on it, which means you should probably do the opposite and listen to your body and see what is going on. The part that stands out to me is that you say it doesn't hurt when you land on it but when you shift your weight forward. You should not be landing on your heel and that might be part of the issue (do you have knee or back pain too? Not just when you run). Something else, do you wear your running shoes for day to day activities or at the gym while doing other things? That ages and damages them pre-maturely and should be avoided.

In my very non-medical guesstimate, your ligaments are having a party and they didn't tell you about it.

what I meant was that if I'm standing or just walking, it aches as I lift my heel off the ground, or in a certain height of heeled shoe.    I don't have knee or back pain and my pesky hip pain is almost gone with the therapy.  I think I do mostly a midfoot landing as I run but still roll forward to have my toes leave the ground last as I run.  I keep my running shoes for running only.  Today the heel pain is almost gone.  My therapist said that it's okay to give these dull pains about a week to pass and then he'd recommend seeing someone about it.  He said that HTFU makes them a lot of money.
2010-02-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2656702

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I used paddles last year until I got swimmer's shoulder from overtraining.  I dropped them for recovery and have been afraid to use them since.  The master's coach who rebuilt my stroke correctly said the paddles probably made my entering too close to the center line that much more likely to hurt my shoulders.

I used these: http://www.kiefer.com/ProductDetails/StyleMasterDetails.aspx?pid={2cc68b28-2a87-4bf4-be1d-8cb5d666179b}&pname=TYR+Catalyst%e2%84%a2+Brites+Hand+Paddle&Referer=QUICK_SEARCH&Alias=paddles&ptct=BS-SR&CTitle=& in the Yellow size, and liked them well enough.  I'm flirting with the idea of trying them again.

2010-02-06 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
I use paddles some times. I can definitively see how if you are somewhat weaker on the shoulders or don't have great form, they could cause some problems. I do like them though as strength builders.

Had a nice swim today and will do a slow long run tomorrow. Maybe I can break the 15km mark :-)

Have a good one
2010-02-07 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

$%#$#%#&%$"&"/"!!!!!

Today I was going for my first 15k run. Perfect weather, nice and cool, everything set and at the 5k mark I got an upper back spasm. I had been feeling my back a bit off, but not too bad. Really ticked me off seeing the rest of the group go and do the walk of shame... sniff

Anyway, hope everyone is have a great Sunday and don´t drink too many beers during the Superbowl!!

2010-02-07 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2659745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
gerrydiego - 2010-02-07 11:23 AM

$%#$#%#&%$"&"/"!!!!!

Today I was going for my first 15k run. Perfect weather, nice and cool, everything set and at the 5k mark I got an upper back spasm. I had been feeling my back a bit off, but not too bad. Really ticked me off seeing the rest of the group go and do the walk of shame... sniff

Anyway, hope everyone is have a great Sunday and don´t drink too many beers during the Superbowl!!

Ugh, so sorry to hear that. Rest up and I hope you fell better.
2010-02-07 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Thanks for the paddle recomendations! Just figured it could be a useful tool to fix some stroke issues.

Did my 9 mile run this morning, and holy crap did it drain me. I am moving my long run to Saturday's and not doing anything before hand! Hope everyone had a great weekend and have fun watching the superbowl!
2010-02-07 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Race report here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=195726

I'll be updating my blog tonight too and posting some pictures my husband took during the race.

Edited by calimavs 2010-02-07 8:41 PM

2010-02-07 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2659745

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-02-07 11:23 AM

$%#$#%#&%$"&"/"!!!!!

Smart call! I hope your back feels better!

2010-02-07 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2660131

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-07 4:59 PM

Thanks for the paddle recomendations! Just figured it could be a useful tool to fix some stroke issues.

Did my 9 mile run this morning, and holy crap did it drain me. I am moving my long run to Saturday's and not doing anything before hand! Hope everyone had a great weekend and have fun watching the superbowl!

Good thinking! When running is my focus, I make sure the run doesn't hurt for other training.

Of course, now days, other training is non-existent for me.
2010-02-07 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2660359

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
calimavs - 2010-02-07 8:39 PM

Hi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Race report here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=195726

I'll be updating my blog tonight too and posting some pictures my husband took during the race.

WOWOWOWOWOW! You totally blew your goal time out of the water! LOOK AT YOU! Terrific job! I am off to read the RR!

2010-02-07 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello, hello everyone!

Sorry for being MIA... I was out of town supporting my cousin at his 100 mile run attempt this weekend.

What a LONG weekend! No one told me I wasn't going to get to sleep much. Ha!

His stretch goal was to finish at 2:00 AM... or 20 hours. Well at 20 hours he was still out working on miles 60-80. He finished 80 miles at 5:30 AM. Then he called it a day.

At 3:30 AM I met up with him to be his pacer (they get pacers the last 40 miles) for a 4.25 mile stretch (I was going to do 8 with him, but since he stopped it didn't happen)... and we were moving so slowly... My Garmin thought we were NOT moving... it kept kicking into auto-pause, while we were in fact walking. He and I discussed his pace and he did the math and realized that unless he didn't pick it up... he would not finish by Noon Sunday (today).

He said he had nothing left in him to get faster. He was lucky to walk a 25 minute mile... and he needed to do a 20 minute mile to get in under the cut off time. After being sick all week and not sleeping, his body was done.

I am very proud of him for making it 80 miles. It's hard to do! The course is NOT easy and in the dark it's downright dangerous due to the roots from the trees. He never fell and kept moving forward.

So that was my weekend. I ran 7.75 miles during the day on Sat to scope out the section I would be pacing him at night... and then I did 4.25 miles with him in 2 hours.

Now I'm doing homework!!! I hope you are doing great!

2010-02-08 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
calimavs - 2010-02-07 8:39 PM Hi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Very cool!!!! Congrats on finishing and well below your goal!! I hope mine goes as well when I get there.

:-)

2010-02-08 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
calimavs - 2010-02-07 8:39 PM Hi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Congratulations, that is outstanding
2010-02-08 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry to say I am joining the ranks of the frustrating weekend too.  Was sick and had bad weather on Thursday morning, so I bumped my 10 mile run to Saturday, and I guess I gave Tania too much grief about doing 9 instead of 10 and the karma god struck me down.  Apparently I started passing a kidney stone on Saturday, man those really hurt.

So, has anyone else had to deal with kidney stones?  They say it can take up to 4 weeks to pass one.  I am really concerned about being out 5 miles on a run and it decides to move again.  Is it ok to continue training?  Do I just switch everything to treadmill and trainer?  Or does the pounding and jostling cause issues with it? 
2010-02-08 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
calimavs - 2010-02-07 8:39 PMHi team! So the half marathon today went GREAT! It was really hard, but went a lot better than I expected. I was shooting to go under 2:30, and I finished in 2:23:34. Thanks you sooooo much for all your support while I was training for this race, it meant so much!

Woohooo!! Congratulations!!
2010-02-08 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2661581

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Big_D - 2010-02-08 12:53 PM Sorry to say I am joining the ranks of the frustrating weekend too.  Was sick and had bad weather on Thursday morning, so I bumped my 10 mile run to Saturday, and I guess I gave Tania too much grief about doing 9 instead of 10 and the karma god struck me down.  Apparently I started passing a kidney stone on Saturday, man those really hurt.

So, has anyone else had to deal with kidney stones?  They say it can take up to 4 weeks to pass one.  I am really concerned about being out 5 miles on a run and it decides to move again.  Is it ok to continue training?  Do I just switch everything to treadmill and trainer?  Or does the pounding and jostling cause issues with it? 

So there must be something in the air... I just got back from a visit to the Chiro. He did an adjustment, but said it would probably take several days for my back muscles to de-contract.

Time to do some stretching and relaxing... :-(

Good luck with the stone-passing. I have not had one, but have heard they are very painful. Hope it moves quickly and smoothly.

Edited by gerrydiego 2010-02-08 5:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27