BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-04-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!
And PHOENIX-

Me and the tossing of the sugar....my migraines are better. Here is what is working for me right now (remember, unmedicated and untreated I have daily migraines that repeatedly fire and render me immobile due to nausea and vertigo):
120mg Propranolol ER (a beta blocker) taken at night
Multivitamin
DHA supplement (for nursing moms)
Magnesium 400mg daily
WATER WATER WATER
Whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, unprocessed foods
Treats: coconut maccarroons made with honey, greek yogurt and honey, and Rice Dream (ricemilk ice cream)

bread- if I eat it- AuntMillie's 5 grain (no HFCS)
Pancake mix- for weekend treats- Pamela's baking mix, and forsyrup, real maple syrup

And....besides feeling better, I am also dropping weight. This could be the food, it could be the increasing running miles, it could also be nursing (Baby is going through a growth spurt and nursing more). Down 4 lbs.

If anyone is interested in a good nutrition source, I highly recommend You are What You Eat by Dr. Gillian McKeith. But- seriously- I only eat the stuff I eat because I was so very sick before and had to do something besides taking more and more prescription drugs. It's a lifestyle change- and I do relapse (mainly when pregnant, because I can tolerate the sugar). And sometimes there are things that are so good- like my MIL's lemon meringue pie, or a frozen dark reese's peanut butter cup- that are worth a migraine, so I eat them before bed and take my migraine interceptor drugs (Midrin or Relpax) before I go to sleep. I hate taking them, though, so I avoid the sugar.

2010-04-13 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Great job on the long run and no sugar Anne!! Wish I could say I'm being good. My lungs are still congested. I sound like I've got a smoker's cough (never did smoke so that's not it). Not motivated to do the bike since I realized I'm not going to make my June tri due to my brother's wedding. I'll see some cousins that I haven't seen in over 20 years! I'm more at peace with the decision to do the family thing. But, my motivation's all gone except for the run focus for May 2. We pigged out on chinese food tonight because I literally had nothing except a couple eggs to eat in the house. We did get some groceries so my time to work out is gone tonight. Maybe I'll have to try to sneak downstairs after everybody is asleep and bike very quietly......(yeah right).

Keep on keeping on everyone!!
2010-04-13 7:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-13 8:01 PM

2010-04-13 8:07 PM

Expert
Troy, MI

The book is very good.  I read it last year at Anne's suggestion.  I bought a juicer after reading it but have only used it once.  It collects dust on my counter.  The bread I eat is Ezekial 4:19 Food for Live sprouted bread.  No flour or HFCS.  Its awesome toasted with some almond or peanut butter.  Yum!

I posted on my log today that I am done with triathlons.  I am focusing on my  running.  I have been leaning that way for a long time but finally pulled the trigger to free myself.  I hope you guys will still let me hang out with you.  I am a great cheerleader.  GO FANCY PANTS!!! See I can do it. I am a natural.  GO GO GO!!

2010-04-13 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2789794

2010-04-14 8:41 AM

Veteran
Central Ohio
I totally understand how you are feeling Jo.  I love doing tris, but I just don't have the time for that with all of the other hobbies I have.  I do enjoy my running because it helps keep my weight down and it's something I can do on a consistent basis at lunch.  Everything else is something I have to plan for and schedule around.  I'm still going to swim some as I love it too, but it's more difficult to fit in.

I'm totally stoked to hear about your Chicago Marathon.  I was born in Chicago and have a love for it.  Keep on running
2010-04-14 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Love it or Leave it

Triathlons seem to be making it on a lot of people's lists of I Want To Do. And then- a few people manage to make the transition from WANT to ACTUALLY DOING. Check.

But once you have made that check- once you can say, "I did a triathlon"- what then?

(this is all sparked by Jo's recent decision to follow her heart and focus on running)

I can honestly say that, once I finished my first race, I very casually told my husband I was going to do another race, in a month, with him. I had not even hinted that I was interested in doing anything past my first race. I just happened to be someone who crossed the finish line- after many months of moaning and complaining- and was hooked. I'm the laziest triathlete I know. I don't push myself, I have never put on my heart rate monitor, I don't fret over equipment or the weight of my bike, and I really don't pay much attention to my times. However-

I crave race day. My stomach gets in knots thinking about lining up for that swim start. My breath speeds up thinking about setting up my transition, and I can picture every transition area I have ever been in, every spot I have ever fought for. My palms are getting sweaty and itchy just thinking about racing.

THAT- the race day feeling- is what makes me haul my fat downstairs and get on my trainers, running on no sleep and taking a big risk that the forty minutes I spend on the bike might be the time when I could have gotten a shower, or done laundry. It's what makes me get up early some mornings, or go to bed late, or put dinner on the table for my family and then head out for a 4 mile run before sunset. I have to have the goal- the something to work for- and for me, it's crossing the finish line.

I love that my races are broken up- finish the swim, transition, finish the bike, transition, finish the run. I break up my long runs that way- get to the park, get through the park, get to the stop sign, get to the neighborhood loop. Small goals that add up to something big. This is why Triathlon appeals to me, this is why I am sticking with it.

Is it right for everyone? Absolutely not. But this is an inclusive sport. We want everyone to try it, even if it's just once, because there is a slight chance you might get hooked and join people like me. Or, you might try it and it will be a platform from which you spring to something else, like marathons, or half marys, or masters swimming.

Jo, I'm going to miss you, really miss you at the all womens' Tri. But, should you ever decide to come out of retirement, you let me know so I can race with you. If you decide to do Hawk Island, I might have to make some arrangements....

To my beginners, my newbies who are focused on their first tri this year (or next)- get yourself into some event SOON so you can cross that finish line and get a taste of what I'm talking about. It makes all the hard work worth it.

And now....with that being said.....I must go bundle up my kids and haul my butt to the Y to run intervals, then swim. It's a double workout day, simply because it has to be in order to save my sanity. My time in the pool will be my only truly quiet time today- and I will appreciate every second of it.
2010-04-14 9:39 AM

2010-04-14 6:27 PM

2010-04-14 8:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Great Job on the cycling, Sharyn!

I have a ride tomorrow.....hoping for over ten miles. So i'm still at 37 and change.

2010-04-15 6:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
My husband just reminded me that my bike needs a tune up before I hit the roads- he wants to take it the week before my May 2 race. So now Ireally have to step up my bike miles and get my challenge done before that!
2010-04-15 7:54 AM

2010-04-16 12:17 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi,
This week has been a hard week. With new and more work responsibilites for both myself and my hubby, conflicting and overlapping practice schedules for my kids, I have been so stressed I've given myself daily headaches. Top that off with lack of or inadequate sleep. When I fell asleep last night", dawn was breaking. I couldn't function and felt so exhausted this morning, I skipped worked, went to the bus stop in PJs and only managed to get 2.5 hours of nap time.

I haven't worked out since my long run on Saturday unless you count the warm up exercises in my PTs office. I havent had enough time, sleep, energy or motivation to do anything.

Hopefully, I can get back on track tomorrow or Saturday.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-16 12:20 AM
2010-04-16 9:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
LOVEY- I hope you get to do one of your group runs soon, and life gets back to some kind of normal.

I'm still so happy about my bike ride yesterday- it was my first official ride on that bike. I got it (used) last winter and then got pregnant. I have ridden it around the neighborhood two times, but I was not allowed to ride on the roads while pregnant on my super fast tri bike. ANYWAY-
Man that Bike is AWESOME!

It flies. I go fast without really trying, and I used to have to work so hard just to go 15mph on my old bike- this really heavy road bike of Mike's from when he was in high schooll. When I get down in the aerobars I have to be REALLY careful as any little twitch sends me careening left or right.

We had those 80 degree temps for a whole day, now it is coolish again, fifties for the weekend. Hope everyone has a good weekend and some good training!
2010-04-16 10:50 AM

Arcata, CA
Hey Guys, sorry its been a long long time.  I am moving to California April 28th.  ONLY THREE DAYS AFTER MY TRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm exhausted, mentally and physically.  The toll that stress can take on the body is extreme.  I can't seem to get to work out.  I've met with a fellow BTer, twice this month.  Once to swim, and once to do the bike/run brick.  That is all the work out I've done all month.  I'm nervous that I won't be able to finish the tri.  But with moving and packing, its not like I'm sitting around all day just sitting.  So, hopefully it won't hurt me too too much to take so much time off.

I'm excited about moving... but I need to pack up my whole life into my car.  Then a friend and I are driving across the country, and that part will be a lot of fun.  But once I get there, I need to find a job!!!!  I need to rent an apartment!!!  My minimum wage job has only allowed me to save up so much money, so money is going to be extremely tight. 

Its just a lot of stuff going on.  And the tri has taken a backseat, but its right around the corner. 
Anne, I enjoyed reading why you tri!  It was very motivational, and I"m hoping to catch the tri bug.  At this point my only goal is to finish, then in my subsequent tri's I wil only have room for improvement   I do keep up with reading the forum, its just hard to find time to even post, but wanted to let everyone know what was going on with me.

Looking forward to the 25th, only 9 days away now!!!!  Eeek....  Hope everyone is having a great, successful day

2010-04-16 7:01 PM

Expert
Well, this is what I know about sports...and life...it's all a mental game! You ladies are all TOUGH. You will do fine on your events!!! You WILL finish and you will have fun.

Life just seems to throw you a series of curves the closer you get to your goal. My life is in the way. I'm not running nearly as much as I thought I would be able to, and I'm much slower at this stage than I hoped. BUT, I know that I have done this distance before and it wasn't easy, but I finished. It's all a mental thing. If you think you can, you will. Period.

Anne--I'm so glad you are in love with your bike. I hope to find a little of that love again with my tri bike, but I'm not ready to get on her just yet. I never have used my aero bars. I should just find a way to remove them. Too chicken to use em! Plus, I can't breathe properly all squished down in that posture. I thought I'd get used to it, but I never have. Oh well. I HAD to have a fancy tri bike instead of a regular road bike. She is pretty fast though And she's kinda pretty. I named her Persephone after the Greek goddess.

What did you all name your bikes? (they perform better if you talk nice to them)
2010-04-16 8:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
My bike has no name yet! Maybe the blue streak?

Great run today....finally used my HRM, my husband is not so thrilled with my results, my HR is high. BUT, in my defense, I take meds daily for my migraines that are preventative, and LOWER my HR and BP. My neurologist sees me in May- I will ask her about it then. She has said before that she is suprised by my level of activity on this medication as it slows a lot of people down.

Made it to my daughter's soccer game for the second half, and then went out for pizza. YUM. Off to bed now....

Everyone stay motivated- this month is turning out to be really hard for many of you. Fit in workouts when you can!!!
2010-04-16 9:03 PM

Expert
Troy, MI

Anne, I am so happy for you.  A good bike is so freeing.  I love my blue angel (my road bike).  I had so much fun riding it in the marathon last weekend even if I did almost get run over by the runners because they were so fast and I had trouble clipping in. 

I am so in love with my running group.  Having a supportive group and a running partner has made all the difference in the world to me and my motivation.  As far as the women's tri, I am out.  Actually, my daughter is due with my 1st grandchild toward the end of July and this frees me up to go to New Mexico.  I am still in for Hawk.  I love that venue and my first should be my last. 

To Everyone:  Find something that motivates you.  If you have to be accountable here, we are here to cheer you. It makes a huge difference to me when I am meeting someone for training.  I feel obligated to show up and then have more fun than on my own.  Have a great weekend.  Get outside and move your body.  Do it for YOU!  You deserve it. 

2010-04-16 9:12 PM

Edited by Sharyn5 2010-04-16 9:13 PM
2010-04-17 8:34 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
It felt so good to be out there even for a short run of 2 miles. Ready for my 10K tomorrow. I'm just going to take it easy ans slow on the hills.

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-17 8:35 AM

2010-04-17 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2798052

2010-04-17 3:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Good luck on the 10k! You'll do great, Lovey!

I took today off. My MIL had a double mastectomy with reconstruction Thursday, got home yesterday, and I'm in charge of taking dinner over tonight. Lots of cuddling with the teething baby, filling my house with good smells, and- hopefully- fitting in a really good stretch. My legs are very tight after my ride Thurs and run yesterday, and I have my long run tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a good Saturday!
2010-04-18 3:45 PM

Edited by Sharyn5 2010-04-18 3:47 PM
2010-04-18 10:27 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Great hilly course. I beat my last 10K (Marine Corp 10K - MCM 10K) by 13 minutes and on a much much more challenging course at that. Its hard to believe that when I did the MCM 10K in Octobr, I ran it at 14 1/2 min pace and today I ran a harder course at 12 1/2 min pace. Talk about progress!!

See my race report.
time was 1:19:30.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-18 10:30 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29