BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-14 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2789809

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
stefanier - 2010-04-13 9:14 PM Hey gang.

I am trying to catch up on all that I missed. Many when it rains it pours because I got pages to read!!! LOL

Update on me: training is going well. I am loving my new tri bike. Two rides on it and I am in love. I just ordered a new seat for it because I have has some issues with the Bontragger seats on my tri and road bike in the same area. I am going to try out a Cobb V Flox max so wish me luck. Once I get the right seat i will finally go for my professional fitting on the tri bike so that I can truely start building for my HIM.

Nice.  I was between trying an Adamo and the Cobb, but chose the Adamo simply because they had one to try when I got my bike fit (so you may want to do the pro fit before getting the seat as they will likely try as many different ones as you want, at least they did for me).  Did wonders for my boys and blood flow (something I've never had with a bike seat before), but it seems like its also causing a little bit of saddle sores.  I thought it was just cause I used crappy old shorts on the trainer, but it seems more prevalent now, even with some of the chamaois cream.

Anyway, long story short: I never pulled the trigger on one of the V flows because I was never quite sure the difference between all the models.  Do you know specifically what they are or who each model is best for?  Why did you choose the model you're getting?

2010-04-14 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2790204

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

stefanier - 2010-04-13 9:14 PM Hey gang.

I am trying to catch up on all that I missed. Many when it rains it pours because I got pages to read!!! LOL

Update on me: training is going well. I am loving my new tri bike. Two rides on it and I am in love. I just ordered a new seat for it because I have has some issues with the Bontragger seats on my tri and road bike in the same area. I am going to try out a Cobb V Flox max so wish me luck. Once I get the right seat i will finally go for my professional fitting on the tri bike so that I can truely start building for my HIM.

Why are you changing your saddle before your fitting???  I'm probably telling you something you already know, but that is going to change how your seat feels a lot.  And comparing your road bike to your tri bike in terms of where you are hitting on your seat is kind of comparing apples to oranges.

RogerWilco - 2010-04-14 2:37 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-13 7:11 PM I suggest that you not worry about your time on one particular day.  And the fact that you did 20 x 100 is friggin nuts to me.  I would be pushing 1:50 also!!  If you feel like you are slipping with respect to time, you are more than likely slipping with respect to your form, so you probably want to do more drills focussing on length and smooth out your stroke. 

Also, hook us up with some more info...are you getting tired?  What hurts?  Are you out of breath?  Are you getting frustrated during the workout by looking at your watch?  These are all factors related to my personal performance in the pool that may affect you also.

Jonathan and David, thanks for the replies. Here is some more info upon your requests:
I'm not getting particularly tired and I'm never out of breath. But you said it, the watch upsets me a lot. I'm thinking of leaving the watch for a few swim sessions and see how it goes? Is it realistic or should I just do what I can do and use the watch? Most probably my form degrades with time but there is nobody to point out and correct my flaws at the pool.
I'm doing 3 swim sessions per week. My usual practices:
Session 1:
200-250 m warm-up
300 m drills (catch-up, fist, one-arm)
15x100 m, leave every 2:00-2:05, completed on 1:55
200 m cool-down
Session 2:
warm-up, cool-down, drills are the same
Main set: 500 m, 400 m, 300 m, 200 m, 100 m, with decreasing amounts of rest

Session 3:
Main set: 100 m, 200 m, 300 m, 400 m, 300 m, 200 m, 100 m with proportional amouns of rest

I was able to do 3 or 4, 1:40's but I think my form changed somewhat so that I cannot do any 1:40's now.

I'm increasing my training times this week. yesterday my main set was 20x100, today it was 3x1000 meters. I think I need more drills but I do not know which drills to use. Of course they may change according to my stroke, so I'm posting my last swim recording again in case you may want to watch it: my swimming video

Thanks in advance for ANY help.

Damn government has taken youtube away from us....so I will check out your video when I get home.  It is tough to say whether or not leaving your watch out of the equation will really help.  I just try to be as consistent as possible throughout the workout.  I know that if I'm losing my form after 150m, then I am pulling too hard, or getting out of breath (or something is off).  It only takes slowing it down about 5% to really make that difference.  And the longer you can keep your form the better off you will be.  This will lead to faster split times.  And DO NOT get discouraged.  Swimming is very hard on me because I will sometimes go a week with bad form or being just sort of out of it.

As of right now your workout looks pretty good.  Newbz is going to have to throw in some advice as to a different plan, as I am not a coach and don't have the experience to change plans around.  I would be wiped out by that 100m interval workout, so unless you handle it easily, try cutting that back and doing it every other week or something.  I like all those drills that you said and I would really buy a pull buoy and do arm workouts focussing on keeping your core tight to streamline yourself in the water.  I do it to make sure I'm not using just my legs to roll, but more of my core.  One of my favorites is the "monkey scratch" drill.  Who knows if that's something my swim coach made up!

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2010-04-14 7:20 AM
2010-04-14 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Okay, so I need a serious running plan.  My goal race is now 18 weeks out (august 22nd).  I feel comfortable running three times a week between 2 and 3 miles at 10-11 min pace.  When I say comfortable, I mean that my shins/knees are not hurting and am not sore the next day.  I did just switch to newtons, so when I get finished with these runs, my achilles and calves are feeling worked, but I have zero soreness or discomfort the next day, or even later in the day.  I probably have the fitness to run 8-10 miles by now, but definitely don't have the experience to do it without injury.  I can essentially run my three miles at 8 minute pace, but will be sore the next day or my shins will hurt, or something stupid like that.

So, Newbz or anyone else can chime in...I need a training plan to be able to comfortably finish my HIM run in 18 weeks.  I don't want speed work or tempo runs or anything else like that.  I am just looking for the proper way to up my mileage in order to finish comfortably. 
2010-04-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2790429

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-14 7:45 AM Okay, so I need a serious running plan.  My goal race is now 18 weeks out (august 22nd).  I feel comfortable running three times a week between 2 and 3 miles at 10-11 min pace.  When I say comfortable, I mean that my shins/knees are not hurting and am not sore the next day.  I did just switch to newtons, so when I get finished with these runs, my achilles and calves are feeling worked, but I have zero soreness or discomfort the next day, or even later in the day.  I probably have the fitness to run 8-10 miles by now, but definitely don't have the experience to do it without injury.  I can essentially run my three miles at 8 minute pace, but will be sore the next day or my shins will hurt, or something stupid like that.

So, Newbz or anyone else can chime in...I need a training plan to be able to comfortably finish my HIM run in 18 weeks.  I don't want speed work or tempo runs or anything else like that.  I am just looking for the proper way to up my mileage in order to finish comfortably. 

x2
Yes please. I need the same advice.
2010-04-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2787111

User image

Bend, OR
Prince of Denmar - 2010-04-12 10:30 PM

when it rains
do you keep on running\riding. or do you stop to avoid an injury?

I am originally from Seattle so I always keep going in the rain.  In Seattle if you stopped for rain you'd never get any training in! In fact, I sort of like the rain as it keeps me cooler. 
2010-04-14 9:05 AM

User image

Bend, OR
My new plan is now to think of myself as a tortoise on my runs.  Slow and steady!  I'm just trying to up my mileage as much as possible.  I've got a 5k race this weekend, but I'm not going to try and run it that fast.  I'll just treat it as a training run.

I have a question about biking, though.  My logs are accurate going back about a month and I've been getting about 3-5 hours a week in on the bike, but some of that is on the trainer so I'm not sure about mileage.  Can I safely be doing hill and speed drills on the bike without injury?  Or should I be treating this like I am now treating my runs with no speedwork or intervals at all?

Appreciate any feedback.  Thanks.

2010-04-14 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I am winding down for a good days sleep.  I just got of work after a 28 hour stretch.  My mind is numb but it won't slow down yet.  I figure a little bit of staring into a computer monitor will work me into a bedtime mood.

Probably no training for me tonight.

2010-04-14 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2790429

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-14 3:45 PM Okay, so I need a serious running plan.  My goal race is now 18 weeks out (august 22nd).  I feel comfortable running three times a week between 2 and 3 miles at 10-11 min pace.  When I say comfortable, I mean that my shins/knees are not hurting and am not sore the next day.  I did just switch to newtons, so when I get finished with these runs, my achilles and calves are feeling worked, but I have zero soreness or discomfort the next day, or even later in the day.  I probably have the fitness to run 8-10 miles by now, but definitely don't have the experience to do it without injury.  I can essentially run my three miles at 8 minute pace, but will be sore the next day or my shins will hurt, or something stupid like that.

I can tell you what I do, though I'm certainly no expert. I just read a lot about these and try to practice what I read (if only swimming could get better using this method :9 ).

I'm currently running 6 times a week. I started with 3 weekly as you currently do. All my runs were easy, no tempo or intervals. I made it 4 times weekly after about a month. Then increased to 5 after one more month, and finally to 6 after one more month. During this period I did all my runs easy, just did some strides (20-30 seconds of 90-100 % efforts) in one of my weekly runs, I still do them once per week in an easy run. After I reached this maximum, I changed one of my short runs with a tempo run. After some more time, I'm doing one hill interval work every other week. 4 of my runs are short, I run them at lunch break. So they are about 35-40 minute range. One session is about 1 hour, middle distance, I do this Saturday mornings. One of my runs is long, about 1:30, I do my long run as a second run at a weekday evening.

So, if your body does not tell you otherwise (it looks like you have adapted to running) you may add some more easy runs, forgetting about the pace. Also you need a long run if you are not doing any. I just checked you logs and found out your mileage is too low. Are you recovering from some injury? So you may first add a long run, or convert one of your runs to a long run. Then you should add some slow-short runs, but slowly. Always pay heed to 10% law.
2010-04-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2790694

User image

janeclemo - 2010-04-14 5:05 PM My new plan is now to think of myself as a tortoise on my runs.  Slow and steady!  I'm just trying to up my mileage as much as possible.  I've got a 5k race this weekend, but I'm not going to try and run it that fast.  I'll just treat it as a training run.

I have a question about biking, though.  My logs are accurate going back about a month and I've been getting about 3-5 hours a week in on the bike, but some of that is on the trainer so I'm not sure about mileage.  Can I safely be doing hill and speed drills on the bike without injury?  Or should I be treating this like I am now treating my runs with no speedwork or intervals at all?

Jane, biking is much more forgiving compared to running. I'm a pretty good biker, and my running and biking trainings are way different. I do hills, speed works, LT work almost EVERY time I ride. So if you are not recovering from any injuries I would say, go kill yourself on the bike to get better. One important note though, if you are not recovering enough from your biking to do your swimming or more importantly running sessions, you may be trying too hard, or you may need to arrange your schedule accordingly.

Edited by RogerWilco 2010-04-14 9:49 AM
2010-04-14 9:39 AM

Got in a run today! Woohoo!
I ran a very comfortable 4 mi at about 11 min/mi (estimate since I forgot to start my watch).  This was a 10% increase from last week and it felt really good.  I could have gone further, but decided to stick to my .5 mi/week increase.  I'm psyched because I'm definately ahead of where I was last year at this time.

For those of you struggling with swimming - one of the things I've found helpful is when you're doing a tough set like 10 or 15 or 20 x 100, make sure every stroke you take is perfect form.  Especially when you get tired, its easy to get sloppy and inefficient which is bad for conditioning, for times and for shoulders.  If I get tired and cant make an interval without flailing I change the rest interval.

just my opinion.
2010-04-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2790703

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
RogerWilco - 2010-04-14 10:07 AM I just checked you logs and found out your mileage is too low. Are you recovering from some injury? So you may first add a long run, or convert one of your runs to a long run. Then you should add some slow-short runs, but slowly. Always pay heed to 10% law.

I'm not really recovering from an injury, just pestering little issues.  To make a long story short, I was up to  an hour and a half for my long run on Sundays, but the only way I could go that long (without shin splints) was by wearing my orthodics, which were then in turn tearing apart my arches.  I had some seriously infected blisters on both feet.  So I went to a running expert, who told me that I shouldn't be running in the shoes that I was running in because I'm more of a forefoot/midfoot striker....so I converted over to a flatter shoe with some posting for my pronation.  So given the new shoes and new running style that they put me in, I decided to start over so as not to over-do it.  Well, things were going so well that one day I decided to run too fast too soon and got slammed with shin splints that lasted almost a month.  So now that brings us to where I am now.  You're right...my mileage is too low.  Starting this week, I'm going to do 4x a week, including a longer run.  How long should my long run be at this point?  Like 4-5 miles?

2010-04-14 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2790225

User image

Champion
RogerWilco - 2010-04-14 2:45 AM

One more question.
Does anybody use?? drills/plyometrics for running? ????????I?f? ?y?e?s?,? ?w?h?a?t? ?k?i?n?d?s? ?d?o? ?y?o?u? ?u?s?e???

I found this link? searching BT's archives. I may try some of these in one of my easy short runs, but I would like to hear the groups' thoughts.?
??

The swimming looks good, keep at it, it may take a few weeks to start to see improvement. If you feel your stroke falling apart stop for a few min.
Also something to think about, if you are not getting winded at all, try upping your arm turnover to take a few more strokes per length, this should help speed thigns up.

On the running, no, no drills at all.
2010-04-14 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2790694

User image

Champion
janeclemo - 2010-04-14 8:05 AM

My new plan is now to think of myself as a tortoise on my runs. Slow and steady! I'm just trying to up my mileage as much as possible. I've got a 5k race this weekend, but I'm not going to try and run it that fast. I'll just treat it as a training run.

I have a question about biking, though. My logs are accurate going back about a month and I've been getting about 3-5 hours a week in on the bike, but some of that is on the trainer so I'm not sure about mileage. Can I safely be doing hill and speed drills on the bike without injury? Or should I be treating this like I am now treating my runs with no speedwork or intervals at all?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

In short, yes you can.

Assuming you pay attention to your legs, there hsould be no issues here. biking, ie more like swimming in this respect, that you can start doing faster stuff MUCH sooner than running, just not as much all the time.
2010-04-14 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2790736

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
RogerWilco - 2010-04-14 10:16 AM
janeclemo - 2010-04-14 5:05 PM My new plan is now to think of myself as a tortoise on my runs.  Slow and steady!  I'm just trying to up my mileage as much as possible.  I've got a 5k race this weekend, but I'm not going to try and run it that fast.  I'll just treat it as a training run.

Jane, biking is much more forgiving compared to running. I'm a pretty good biker, and my running and biking trainings are way different. I do hills, speed works, LT work almost EVERY time I ride. So if you are not recovering from any injuries I would say, go kill yourself on the bike to get better. One important note though, if you are not recovering enough from your biking to do your swimming or more importantly running sessions, you may be trying too hard, or you may need to arrange your schedule accordingly.

X-2...as long as you are comfortable on the bike and it fits you well, you should be putting more effort into the bike.  It's the only way you're going to see serious results.  If biking is creating a lot of fatigue, you should work on a warm up and hard middle session followed by a long cool down.  This always helps me.
2010-04-14 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
swimming:

My times are generally at 1:55-2:00/100m pace

This does not change from swimming a 100m or a 1600m swim (my swimming logs are not all up to date).  But when i do any type of workout, weather it's short sets of 10-15x100 or a 1600m straight swim, my time is always around that 2:00/100m pace. 

What are the best drills to decrease my time/100m?  should i be doing sets that are on the 2:05?  or the 2:00?   I guess this is where a lack of coaching/established workouts in my life are putting me up against a wall as far as decreasing my swim time.  I "think" i have pretty good form, i do the swim drills, etc.....  Im looking for advice on some main sets that i can do that will help with speed.  Thanks for any input. 
2010-04-14 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2791207

User image

Champion
first, to tackle the running plan questions.

The first goal is to build up mileage to whatever distance/time you can put towards it.

I would recomend starting with frequency first, then adding distance.

If you currently run 3x2 miles a week (or something there abouts), add in a 4th run next week.
If all feels good with that, and you have the time, add in a 5th run, if not, add a bit of time to one.

so week one looks like 2, 2, 2
week two, 2, 2, 2, 2.

week three, start adding a bit of distance.
2, 3, 2, 3,

week 4 (assuming you feel good).
3,3, 3, 2

week 5,

3,4, 3, 4

once you get comfortable with this, slowly start to lengthen one out. so a few weeks down the road, it would look something like this

3, 5, 4, 6 mi (or something along those lines.

These are not hard and fast rules, and if you can add more days, that is always helpful to spread the mileage out, and you can follow a progression like this for a LONG time as mileage builds.

When i got back into running and started upping things last year, my first 4 weeks looked like this

week1: 2, 3, 3, 4,
week2: 3,4,3,5,2
week3: 3,5,3,5,3
week4: 3,5,3,5,3,2

two months later that had built into
4/6/5/6/4/8

Basically the goal is to build mileage through frequency first, and then through distance.

As you start getting closer to the longer races you'll want that longer run to slowly lengthen out to reflect your goal distance a bit more, for the half IM in the 1:20-2:00 range. but you have 18 weeks to work on that.

2010-04-14 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
BoobieDr - 2010-04-14 10:05 AM

swimming:

This does not change from swimming a 100m or a 1600m swim (my swimming logs are not all up to date). But when i do any type of workout, weather it's short sets of 10-15x100 or a 1600m straight swim, my time is always around that 2:00/100m pace.

What are the best drills to decrease my time/100m? should i be doing sets that are on the 2:05? or the 2:00? I guess this is where a lack of coaching/established workouts in my life are putting me up against a wall as far as decreasing my swim time. I "think" i have pretty good form, i do the swim drills, etc..... Im looking for advice on some main sets that i can do that will help with speed. Thanks for any input.

what sort of effort is the 2:00min pace for you?

What can you swim 1 all out 100 in (if you dont know give it a shot after your next warmup, this will help nail down if the issue is pushing yourself, or specific fitness).
2010-04-14 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
BoobieDr - 2010-04-14 12:05 PM swimming:

This does not change from swimming a 100m or a 1600m swim (my swimming logs are not all up to date).  But when i do any type of workout, weather it's short sets of 10-15x100 or a 1600m straight swim, my time is always around that 2:00/100m pace. 

What are the best drills to decrease my time/100m?  should i be doing sets that are on the 2:05?  or the 2:00?   I guess this is where a lack of coaching/established workouts in my life are putting me up against a wall as far as decreasing my swim time.  I "think" i have pretty good form, i do the swim drills, etc.....  Im looking for advice on some main sets that i can do that will help with speed.  Thanks for any input. 

DOC,  those drills that wilco was talking about are good to do.  BUT, the absolute best thing you can do is to get a swim coach for two 1 hour sessions.  It may cost you 40-50 bucks a session for private lessons, but it is SO worth it.  Now that you can swim that distance and especially because you think you have good form, a third party is a must to tell you what you are doing wrong....because all of us are doing something wrong.  And of course, have someone video tape you on your blackberry (you're a doctor, I know you have one) and post it!!Laughing
2010-04-14 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2791263

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
newbz - 2010-04-14 12:20 PM  Basically the goal is to build mileage through frequency first, and then through distance. As you start getting closer to the longer races you'll want that longer run to slowly lengthen out to reflect your goal distance a bit more, for the half IM in the 1:20-2:00 range. but you have 18 weeks to work on that.

Sweet....I'm all over that. 

Thanks Newbz.
2010-04-14 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2791268

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
newbz - 2010-04-14 11:21 AM
BoobieDr - 2010-04-14 10:05 AM swimming:

This does not change from swimming a 100m or a 1600m swim (my swimming logs are not all up to date). But when i do any type of workout, weather it's short sets of 10-15x100 or a 1600m straight swim, my time is always around that 2:00/100m pace.

What are the best drills to decrease my time/100m? should i be doing sets that are on the 2:05? or the 2:00? I guess this is where a lack of coaching/established workouts in my life are putting me up against a wall as far as decreasing my swim time. I "think" i have pretty good form, i do the swim drills, etc..... Im looking for advice on some main sets that i can do that will help with speed. Thanks for any input.
what sort of effort is the 2:00min pace for you? What can you swim 1 all out 100 in (if you dont know give it a shot after your next warmup, this will help nail down if the issue is pushing yourself, or specific fitness).

Thanks Newbz...

I haven't officially timed myself at an all out 100, but i will at my next swim.  My question for this would be, do you do this without sacrificing form?  or do you just go balls to the wall?  I guess my reading of everything on the main board is that form is the most important thing in swimming, so I focus on that while swimming any sort of distance, and that's where i get stuck at my 2:00 pace.  I imagine if i try to go balls to the wall for a 100, i might lose some of that form. 
2010-04-14 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2791279

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-14 11:28 AM

DOC,  those drills that wilco was talking about are good to do.  BUT, the absolute best thing you can do is to get a swim coach for two 1 hour sessions.  It may cost you 40-50 bucks a session for private lessons, but it is SO worth it.  Now that you can swim that distance and especially because you think you have good form, a third party is a must to tell you what you are doing wrong....because all of us are doing something wrong.  And of course, have someone video tape you on your blackberry (you're a doctor, I know you have one) and post it!!Laughing

Thanks for the reply Jger,

I'll look back at the drills wilco posted.  I keep debating over doing the swim coach thing ,but i guess i should just bite the bullet and do it.  I'll also look at getting someone to film me swimming...although i might wear my jammers that day rather than my speedo

2010-04-14 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I've never raced in anything.  But, I feel confident I can bike and run my sprints with no real concerns for "finishing".  I'm quite sure of that.

But, I'd like to get faster at both.  Just talking running, for now......

My sprint tri's are all 5K's.  Currently, I'm going to (this week) do a 5mi.; 6mi. and 7mi. run (all at slow speeds).  Would I be better served to add in another run,........and shorten the total distances of the others?

I'm torn.  I know my swimming needs the most work.  I'll probably do 4X this wk......and every week, thereafter, leading up to my events.  That leaves me with little time to do 3X bike and run.  Some weeks, I'll only get in 2X one of those.  So...should I shoot for shorter, more frequent runs?  Or....am I OK doing what I'm doing......and trying to up the distances (I'm not above adding in an event with a 10K, later in the season)?

I know, for me, the best thing I can be doing on the bike is miles, miles, miles.  I'm still trying to get used to the roadie.  It's getting better, each time out (my confidence).

Sorry for the barrage.

jeff

2010-04-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2791423

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
BoobieDr - 2010-04-14 12:58 PM

I'll look back at the drills wilco posted.  I keep debating over doing the swim coach thing ,but i guess i should just bite the bullet and do it.  I'll also look at getting someone to film me swimming...although i might wear my jammers that day rather than my speedo

Absolutely....some people can teach themselves to swim, but for me, I was stuck at a 2:00 pace also....that was in early January.  I'm at a 1:40 pace now and can do 100 intervals at sub 1:30.  I'm giving credit to my swim coach because without her, I'd still be doing the same things wrong.
2010-04-14 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2791423

User image

Champion
BoobieDr - 2010-04-14 10:58 AM

jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-14 11:28 AM

DOC, those drills that wilco was talking about are good to do. BUT, the absolute best thing you can do is to get a swim coach for two 1 hour sessions. It may cost you 40-50 bucks a session for private lessons, but it is SO worth it. Now that you can swim that distance and especially because you think you have good form, a third party is a must to tell you what you are doing wrong....because all of us are doing something wrong. And of course, have someone video tape you on your blackberry (you're a doctor, I know you have one) and post it!!Laughing

I'll look back at the drills wilco posted. I keep debating over doing the swim coach thing ,but i guess i should just bite the bullet and do it. I'll also look at getting someone to film me swimming...although i might wear my jammers that day rather than my speedo

your form will change a bit, but within reason.

If you are more comfortable, try a 200 (so you'll have to pace it a bit). You should be ready to die at the end of it. this is not a comfortable hard.
2010-04-14 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2791692

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
jgerbodegrant - 2010-04-15 3:00 AM
BoobieDr - 2010-04-14 12:58 PM

Absolutely....some people can teach themselves to swim, but for me, I was stuck at a 2:00 pace also....that was in early January.  I'm at a 1:40 pace now and can do 100 intervals at sub 1:30.  I'm giving credit to my swim coach because without her, I'd still be doing the same things wrong.

X2 on this.  Definitely try out a swim coach (start with a couple sessions in case you just don't hit it off).   I taught myself to swim and thought I was doing pretty well.   In reality, lots of the things I thought I was doing right were not quite right.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105