BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-06-02 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
Trained on outdoor pool today. Very different than prior OWS experiences. Very sunny, outside temp 86, no wetsuit. Felt beat at the end...plus might not be a bad idea to have a set of dark goggles!
How is everyone else doing? 

2010-06-02 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My workout sucks. Between school concerts, practices, regular games, playoff games, swim team practices and academic school functions all my for kids, this week and last week has allowed me little time to workout.

I tried getting on the treadmill this morning but I was tired and couldn't get a rythym. I havent swam this week and hope to get in the water by at least Friday.

Ahh, life!!!

Lovey
2010-06-03 4:41 AM
in reply to: #2897543

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-06-02 6:43 PM

Trained on outdoor pool today. Very different than prior OWS experiences. Very sunny, outside temp 86, no wetsuit. Felt beat at the end...plus might not be a bad idea to have a set of dark goggles!
How is everyone else doing? 

Our outdoor pool opened last weekend, too! I enjoy swimming outdoors more than indoors (but enjoy open water swimming most - unfortunately there's not really anyplace too convenient for OWS near me....) The only problem with my swims in the outdoor pool is, I often get interrupted (Mom, my goggles are too loose..... Mom, can we go to the snack bar? Mom, will you swim with me?....) Not that I mind those kinds of interruptions too much.....
2010-06-03 4:43 AM
in reply to: #2897954

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-06-02 10:10 PM

My workout sucks. Between school concerts, practices, regular games, playoff games, swim team practices and academic school functions all my for kids, this week and last week has allowed me little time to workout.

I tried getting on the treadmill this morning but I was tired and couldn't get a rythym. I havent swam this week and hope to get in the water by at least Friday.

Ahh, life!!!

Lovey

I hear ya, Lovey! The end of the school year can be a killer! Seems like there's one special event after another to try and get to! Hang in there, hopefully it will get easier when school's out!
2010-06-03 4:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So,

I got my Spinning Instructor certification last fall. I haven't looked too hard for an instructor job, but did let the management at my gym know I had the cert, and taught an "audition" class a few months ago. Looks like they have some openings, so I may be starting work as a Spinning Instructor soon! I have a second audition next week. Wish me luck!
2010-06-03 6:25 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
P.S.....

Is anybody racing this weekend? From the logs, it looks like Jeff has a running race coming up. Anybody else??

2010-06-03 8:43 AM

Veteran
Thanks everyone!  It really was fun.  I got a couple of pics from a friend, and I am smilin gin all of them, so I thought that was a good sign.  =)

Wetsuit wise - I have no intention of ever doing big distances.  Oly, maybe someday, but that is way in the future.  And I don't plan on any super cold water swims, so for me, a $99 sleeveless ProMotion suit was a great option.  It gives me plenty of buoyancy, but isn't super restrictive.  I was in Barnegat Bay at about 68 degrees.  Felt fine.

Getting back in the pool today and am determined to swim freestyle.  Have a great day all!
2010-06-03 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2898508

User image

mmgoldenb - 2010-06-03 9:43 AM Thanks everyone!  It really was fun.  I got a couple of pics from a friend, and I am smilin gin all of them, so I thought that was a good sign.  =)

Wetsuit wise - I have no intention of ever doing big distances.  Oly, maybe someday, but that is way in the future.  And I don't plan on any super cold water swims, so for me, a $99 sleeveless ProMotion suit was a great option.  It gives me plenty of buoyancy, but isn't super restrictive.  I was in Barnegat Bay at about 68 degrees.  Felt fine.

Getting back in the pool today and am determined to swim freestyle.  Have a great day all!

Marla,
So you felt the sleeveless wetsuit provided enough warmth? Are you normally not bothered by the cold? 68 degrees sounds absolutely frigid to me. I am doing the Parvin tri in 2 weeks (my first). Unsure about the wetsuit issue. I am going to try on my brother's. I don't hold out much hope that it will fit. If not, I will probably get the ProMotion one. I'm glad to be doing a tri soon because the training is getting old--I've been doing it for 5 months and need some "payoff" you know?

2010-06-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2900012

User image

Veteran
Keiren - 2010-06-04 5:04 PM
mmgoldenb - 2010-06-03 9:43 AM Thanks everyone!  It really was fun.  I got a couple of pics from a friend, and I am smilin gin all of them, so I thought that was a good sign.  =)

Marla,
So you felt the sleeveless wetsuit provided enough warmth? Are you normally not bothered by the cold? 68 degrees sounds absolutely frigid to me. I am doing the Parvin tri in 2 weeks (my first). Unsure about the wetsuit issue. I am going to try on my brother's. I don't hold out much hope that it will fit. If not, I will probably get the ProMotion one. I'm glad to be doing a tri soon because the training is getting old--I've been doing it for 5 months and need some "payoff" you know?

Keiren: Way to stick with it on the training commitment. (Early) Good luck on your Tri in 2 weeks.

Jenny: T1 transition. How do I get the dammmm shoes to stay straight on the pedals. I heard of rubber bands. But I am afraid that they will pop my ankles or something, I am going to hate that. any other suggestions? And do you typically lead of with the bike with one hand on the seat or on the handlebars? Which would be more efficient to mount the bike with?
2010-06-03 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am going to try on wetsuits at a local store this weekend if they have any in stock. There is a big Oly tri on June 13th so they may be low on stock.

Xterra (www.xterrawetsuits.com) is having a sale. The sleeveless Volt is $99 (50% off of $200) right now. I am considering it. Has anyone worn this one before?

It was suggested I go with a full sleeve in the 70 degree weather especially since its my first experience and I am not a strong swimmer.

Lovey
2010-06-04 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2900101

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-03 8:46 PM

Marla,

Keiren: Way to stick with it on the training commitment. (Early) Good luck on your Tri in 2 weeks.

Jenny: T1 transition. How do I get the dammmm shoes to stay straight on the pedals. I heard of rubber bands. But I am afraid that they will pop my ankles or something, I am going to hate that. any other suggestions? And do you typically lead of with the bike with one hand on the seat or on the handlebars? Which would be more efficient to mount the bike with?

Jeff -

I've personally never left my shoes clipped into the pedals for T1. I figure I'm not really fast enough that the seconds it might save in T time would really matter much.... My T1 approach is wetsuit off, bike shoes & helmet on, run/walk/jog with the bike to the bike out, mount the bike & go. I too have heard of using rubber bands if you want to leave your shoes clipped in. Supposedly the rubber bands just break when you start pedaling. If you want to try this in a race, it's definitely something you should practice. I've heard horror stories of people causing/nearly causing bike crashes weaving around trying to get their feet into their shoes! I think I may start trying to take my feet out of my shoes at the end of the bike course, though.... that seems to me like it might be less tricky.

I'm a push the bike by the seat kind of girl, but some people prefer to push by the handle bars. Again, this is something you might want to practice and see what works for you. When you leave the transition area, there will typically be a bike mount line. You will have to push your bike up to this line before you mount. Once you get to the mount line, you'll mount the bike like your normally do. So, for me, I push the bike by the seat through transition, then grab the handlebars as I approach the mount line, mount the bike, and go. One other recommendation would be to leave the bike in a relatively easy gear so you can get the pedals moving easily, then shift into whatever gear is appropriate for the course once you're rolling.

2010-06-04 8:34 AM

Veteran

Keiren-  I found the sleeveless to be plenty warm enough.  In this particular race, the water and air temps were pretty close, so there was not a huge "Wow" over getting in the water.  The swimming attire ranged from swimsuit only to full wetsuit, and every variation in between.  I found that standing around wiating for the cannon was a wee bit chilly, but once I started swimming, I never even thought about it.  I tend to prefer warmer water, so I am probably a pretty good test case, LOL!  Hope that helps.  Good luck with your choice. =)

2010-06-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2900719

User image

mmgoldenb - 2010-06-04 9:34 AM

Keiren-  I found the sleeveless to be plenty warm enough.  In this particular race, the water and air temps were pretty close, so there was not a huge "Wow" over getting in the water.  The swimming attire ranged from swimsuit only to full wetsuit, and every variation in between.  I found that standing around wiating for the cannon was a wee bit chilly, but once I started swimming, I never even thought about it.  I tend to prefer warmer water, so I am probably a pretty good test case, LOL!  Hope that helps.  Good luck with your choice. =)

Thanks Marla! I was at the beach this weekend and thought the ocean was freezing. If my brother's wetsuit doesn't fit I will go with the cost effective alternative of sleeveless. Thanks for your help!
2010-06-04 5:12 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Hey everyone! Just a quick check in...9 days to go until Eagleman! I'm actually getting excited as opposed to nervous, which is what I was earlier in the week!

I'm now a USAT Certified Official!! I got to officiate the Columbia Triathlon a couple of weeks ago in the pouring rain, riding the back of a motorcycle for 2 hours trying to write down penalties...I was a little unsure so I only got one person for drafting but I know it will come with experience. It was an awesome learning experience so I'm looking forward to doing more!

I saw earlier questions regarding wetsuits. Lovey-I have a sleeveless Vortex from Xterra that I got when they were having a great sale and I used PAM to get it on which REALLY helped. I tried Sport Glide but that also got on my hands and ended up having problems keeping a grip on the wetsuit. A guy at my last race told me that PAM breaks the wetsuit down but I really can't imagine it will break it down any more or less than anything else I use..and it gets it on, right? I also use plastic bags over my feet to help slip my feet through the suit..just make sure you get the bag out or else you'll have pieces of plastic stuck inside your suit!!

I'll hopefully check in a little bit more this week since I'm tapering....have a great weekend everyone!
2010-06-05 12:50 AM
in reply to: #2900454

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-06-05 3:02 AM

Marla,

Jeff - I've personally never left my shoes clipped into the pedals for T1. I figure I'm not really fast enough that the seconds it might save in T time would really matter much.... My T1 approach is wetsuit off, bike shoes & helmet on, run/walk/jog with the bike to the bike out, mount the bike & go. I too have heard of using rubber bands if you want to leave your shoes clipped in. Supposedly the rubber bands just break when you start pedaling. If you want to try this in a race, it's definitely something you should practice. I've heard horror stories of people causing/nearly causing bike crashes weaving around trying to get their feet into their shoes! I think I may start trying to take my feet out of my shoes at the end of the bike course, though.... that seems to me like it might be less tricky. I'm a push the bike by the seat kind of girl, but some people prefer to push by the handle bars. Again, this is something you might want to practice and see what works for you. When you leave the transition area, there will typically be a bike mount line. You will have to push your bike up to this line before you mount. Once you get to the mount line, you'll mount the bike like your normally do. So, for me, I push the bike by the seat through transition, then grab the handlebars as I approach the mount line, mount the bike, and go. One other recommendation would be to leave the bike in a relatively easy gear so you can get the pedals moving easily, then shift into whatever gear is appropriate for the course once you're rolling.

I think I'll try it. It seems easier to me. I have trouble getting the pedal in the right direction and then the spd in and secure without weaving all over and losing my stride. I think I would do better with the idea of getting to the mount line and just pedaling. I may not use rubberbands though.

Ok then, race tomorrow. A 5K but it will be fun. The run is in memory of a kid in our area that passed of asthma compilcations. I have two asthmatic daughters that are active. One will run with me tomorrow. Check out Shanesway.org and everyone have a great weekend.
2010-06-05 5:27 AM
in reply to: #2902211

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-05 1:50 AM

jsnowash - 2010-06-05 3:02 AM

Marla,

Jeff - I've personally never left my shoes clipped into the pedals for T1. I figure I'm not really fast enough that the seconds it might save in T time would really matter much.... My T1 approach is wetsuit off, bike shoes & helmet on, run/walk/jog with the bike to the bike out, mount the bike & go. I too have heard of using rubber bands if you want to leave your shoes clipped in. Supposedly the rubber bands just break when you start pedaling. If you want to try this in a race, it's definitely something you should practice. I've heard horror stories of people causing/nearly causing bike crashes weaving around trying to get their feet into their shoes! I think I may start trying to take my feet out of my shoes at the end of the bike course, though.... that seems to me like it might be less tricky. I'm a push the bike by the seat kind of girl, but some people prefer to push by the handle bars. Again, this is something you might want to practice and see what works for you. When you leave the transition area, there will typically be a bike mount line. You will have to push your bike up to this line before you mount. Once you get to the mount line, you'll mount the bike like your normally do. So, for me, I push the bike by the seat through transition, then grab the handlebars as I approach the mount line, mount the bike, and go. One other recommendation would be to leave the bike in a relatively easy gear so you can get the pedals moving easily, then shift into whatever gear is appropriate for the course once you're rolling.

I think I'll try it. It seems easier to me. I have trouble getting the pedal in the right direction and then the spd in and secure without weaving all over and losing my stride. I think I would do better with the idea of getting to the mount line and just pedaling. I may not use rubberbands though.

Ok then, race tomorrow. A 5K but it will be fun. The run is in memory of a kid in our area that passed of asthma compilcations. I have two asthmatic daughters that are active. One will run with me tomorrow. Check out Shanesway.org and everyone have a great weekend.

Just make sure you practice it a few times! You'll want to do a few pedal strokes with your feet ON TOP of the shoes to get some momentum up, then you can coast, slide your foot into one shoe and secure the velcro strap or whatever shoe closure you have, take a few more pedal strokes, coast and slide the other foot in. Let us know how it goes! Good luck in your 5K! Run fast!

2010-06-05 5:40 AM
in reply to: #2901899

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-06-04 6:12 PM

Hey everyone! Just a quick check in...9 days to go until Eagleman! I'm actually getting excited as opposed to nervous, which is what I was earlier in the week!

I'm now a USAT Certified Official!! I got to officiate the Columbia Triathlon a couple of weeks ago in the pouring rain, riding the back of a motorcycle for 2 hours trying to write down penalties...I was a little unsure so I only got one person for drafting but I know it will come with experience. It was an awesome learning experience so I'm looking forward to doing more!

I saw earlier questions regarding wetsuits. Lovey-I have a sleeveless Vortex from Xterra that I got when they were having a great sale and I used PAM to get it on which REALLY helped. I tried Sport Glide but that also got on my hands and ended up having problems keeping a grip on the wetsuit. A guy at my last race told me that PAM breaks the wetsuit down but I really can't imagine it will break it down any more or less than anything else I use..and it gets it on, right? I also use plastic bags over my feet to help slip my feet through the suit..just make sure you get the bag out or else you'll have pieces of plastic stuck inside your suit!!

I'll hopefully check in a little bit more this week since I'm tapering....have a great weekend everyone!

Hey Kiwi! Good luck at Eagleman! Can't wait to get the full report!

Congrats on your USAT Officiating Cert! That's pretty cool!
2010-06-05 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Since Wednesday I have been having issues with a sore achilles and calf muscle on my left leg. It started Tuesday night walking across uneven slope on the grass and I felt a tug on my heel. I have been massaging it, foam rolling it and icing it. No ibuprofen however.

This morning, I decided to try and run 4-6 miles depending on how it felt. Well, I missed my group run and decided to do same day registration for a local 5K 10 minutes away. My friend and running partner was the race director raising money for her dauhgter's school art program.

I could have really raced it because leg felt ok and I only felt twinges on the uphills. But I decided to take it easy and not risk injuring myself before my tri in 2 weeks. Plus other than a 2 miler I did 3 days ago, my last run was a 10 miler 2 weeks ago. Didn't think it was worth it.

I was still happy I pulled a 40 minutes on a "taking it easy" run in support of my friend.

Lovey
2010-06-05 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Look Mama I'm goin' fast... I pulled a 7:17 mi. by my watch (unofficial) and a 7:09 (unofficial) by the race clock. So I was just dying in the heat of this race though and to top it off my son (14) beats me. Where do these people get the energy? These young kids have so much reserve it's incredible.
2010-06-05 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2902211

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma

I rubber-banded my shoes for my first tri and it worked real well for me.  I also took my feet out before I dismounted too.  There was quite a distance from the transition area to the mount line so I was glad I wasn't running in my cycling shoes.  I didn't do the running mount.  I just got to the mount line and mounted like normal.  Like Jenny mentioned, the key is to practice and to get your speed up before you try to get your feet in or out.  If your speed isn't high, that's when you start weaving all over the place.  I practiced the night before on my indoor trainer.  I also watched all the videos on BT.  I'm definitely doing it again for my next tri.
2010-06-05 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Sorry I've been missing in action for awhile.  I've had a lot of stuff get piled on me at church so I've been doing good to post my workouts.  I've been getting them in for the most part, I'm just doing bad about tracking it.  I'm going to be gone all next week on a mission trip to New Orleans (They're still rebuilding houses from Katrina, isn't that crazy?).  Anyway, as much as I hate to miss a whole week of workouts, I hope the week off will do me good.  I usually come back stronger after taking a week off so we'll see.

2010-06-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2902737

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-05 5:30 PM Look Mama I'm goin' fast... I pulled a 7:17 mi. by my watch (unofficial) and a 7:09 (unofficial) by the race clock. So I was just dying in the heat of this race though and to top it off my son (14) beats me. Where do these people get the energy? These young kids have so much reserve it's incredible.

Awesome pace dude!  I can only wish to be able to run at that pace. 
2010-06-06 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2903266

User image

Veteran
guticur - 2010-06-07 7:07 AM
StrayDog - 2010-06-05 5:30 PM Look Mama I'm goin' fast... I pulled a 7:17 mi. by my watch (unofficial) and a 7:09 (unofficial) by the race clock. So I was just dying in the heat of this race though and to top it off my son (14) beats me. Where do these people get the energy? These young kids have so much reserve it's incredible.

Awesome pace dude!  I can only wish to be able to run at that pace. 

Thanks Man I appreciate it!
2010-06-06 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2902845

User image

Veteran
cspreiter - 2010-06-06 4:26 PM

I rubber-banded my shoes for my first tri and it worked real well for me.  I also took my feet out before I dismounted too.  There was quite a distance from the transition area to the mount line so I was glad I wasn't running in my cycling shoes.  I didn't do the running mount.  I just got to the mount line and mounted like normal.  Like Jenny mentioned, the key is to practice and to get your speed up before you try to get your feet in or out.  If your speed isn't high, that's when you start weaving all over the place.  I practiced the night before on my indoor trainer.  I also watched all the videos on BT.  I'm definitely doing it again for my next tri.
I saw a recent video on Chrissy Wellington and she mounts at the mount line slipping her foot in the shoes but the shoes are definitely in the upright correct position for that. She didn't place her foot on the shoe she got it inside right away, but the shoe was loose. The shoe was very open and visibly loose when she first started riding. So....my plan is set the bike up where the shoe is in the up right position using smaller rubber bands and open the shoe up so that when I mount I will be able to easily slip my foot in and move up to speed quickly. Then later tighten the velcro and make position adjustments.

Question for you people: I am starting to feel some of the "play" in the pedal. Recently i  was doing hill work and the back edge of the shoe slipped out of the SPD clip. Is it wise to tighten up the play? And how the heck do you do it? I have never tightend pedals before.

Edited by StrayDog 2010-06-06 12:08 PM
2010-06-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2903436

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
StrayDog - 2010-06-06 1:07 PM
cspreiter - 2010-06-06 4:26 PM

I saw a recent video on Chrissy Wellington and she mounts at the mount line slipping her foot in the shoes but the shoes are definitely in the upright correct position for that. She didn't place her foot on the shoe she got it inside right away, but the shoe was loose. The shoe was very open and visibly loose when she first started riding. So....my plan is set the bike up where the shoe is in the up right position using smaller rubber bands and open the shoe up so that when I mount I will be able to easily slip my foot in and move up to speed quickly. Then later tighten the velcro and make position adjustments.

Question for you people: I am starting to feel some of the "play" in the pedal. Recently i  was doing hill work and the back edge of the shoe slipped out of the SPD clip. Is it wise to tighten up the play? And how the heck do you do it? I have never tightend pedals before.

My SPDs have a small allen nut (one on each side since they clip on both sides). You adjust this to loosen or tighten. I actually have mine in the easiest position to unclip....had enough of falling down and making a fool of myself. No play yet...have not had your issue. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32