BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-08-06 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
Well we are off to the Outer Banks, NC tomorrow at 0530.  We were suppose to leave this afternoon but again work put the brakes on to that.  Here is what we (my partners and I) have been working on.  The WJZ video clip is where you will see me accepting an award.  We all received an award, but I was the only one that made the clip...lol.  It is one of those things that one must attend, and happy to achive our goal...solving a 2006 case!

http://wjz.com/local/dentist.murder.crime.2.1846796.html

Anyway, now I can get back to training.  I have everything loaded and ready.  Just need to add the bike and family and we will be outta here.  Looking forward to some good training days and relaxing. 

Hey Danny...would like to see your bike.  Good job on your tri.  It is a learning experience and I am still experiencing and learning. 

2010-08-06 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3025910

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-08-05 4:21 PM Yup, I'll have my son take a couple pics and I'll post em.  He took it out for  a spin and got it up to 35mph just in our development (he's alot stronger than me....17yrs old) and informed me he'd be taking my bike out for rides periodically....ha!  The bike looks small (it has 650's on it) but the geometry is right so it works for me.  I have to get used to my head being down so low, facing the pavement....helmet kept dropping over my eyes....riding blind is no good!

I have a little trouble keeping my head up too. Just ride more and your neck will get stronger and more used to the aero position.
2010-08-06 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3028654

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-08-06 9:14 PM
Well we are off to the Outer Banks, NC tomorrow at 0530.  We were suppose to leave this afternoon but again work put the brakes on to that.  Here is what we (my partners and I) have been working on.  The WJZ video clip is where you will see me accepting an award.  We all received an award, but I was the only one that made the clip...lol.  It is one of those things that one must attend, and happy to achive our goal...solving a 2006 case!

http://wjz.com/local/dentist.murder.crime.2.1846796.html 

Excellent work by you and your partners. I was actually a little familiar with this case since it was a fellow dentist. Well done.

Anyway, now I can get back to training.  I have everything loaded and ready.  Just need to add the bike and family and we will be outta here.  Looking forward to some good training days and relaxing.

Enjoy your time off, you have really earned it. 

2010-08-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3028794

User image

Expert
Danny sent me some pics of his new bike, so here you go. Very sharp!

Danny, I hope you enjoy many happy, healthy, and FAST miles on her!

Anthony
2010-08-09 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Anthony:  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I don't know why I couldn't pull it off. 

I have a question for you about the transition area.  Are the rules and guidelines standard for all the races or is each race unique?  I recall reading something about making sure you have your helmet on before you attempt to ride your bike and that is must be properly fastened.  What else can I expect?  Does each athlete walk their bike to a take off point?  Same with finishing the bike and transitioning to the run, ....when do you dismount?  Thanks for your insight.
2010-08-09 7:54 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Hey Strangers!
   I have been soo out of the loop lately.  I begin my 1/2 marathon training tomorrow and am motivated to get moving.  I was on vacation in NY last week, great time but I didnt run once.  I cant believe that I passed up the opportunity to run when it was cool and no humidity.  Tomorrow is a new day!  Hope all is well with everyone=
paula

2010-08-10 5:17 AM
in reply to: #3033283

User image

Expert
Hey everyone! How's it gong. Bill raced this past Sunday, and he has posted his race report, so go take a look. He had a little trouble with going ot too fast on the swim and losing his breath, but he recovered from that and finished well.

Anthony
2010-08-10 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3033261

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-08-09 8:42 PM Anthony:  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I don't know why I couldn't pull it off. 

I have a question for you about the transition area.  Are the rules and guidelines standard for all the races or is each race unique?  I recall reading something about making sure you have your helmet on before you attempt to ride your bike and that is must be properly fastened.  What else can I expect?  Does each athlete walk their bike to a take off point?  Same with finishing the bike and transitioning to the run, ....when do you dismount?  Thanks for your insight.

Rules are pretty standard and a big one is that your helmet MUST be on and fastened before you remove your bike from the rack, and must stay on until you put your bike back on the rack. You run your bike through the transition area to the bike exit and then mount your bike outside the transition area. At the end of the bike, there will be a marked dismount line where you have to get off which is usually about 20 or 30 feet from transition. You then run your bike back into transition through the "bike in", which is different from the bike exit, and then run back to your rack, rerack, and then take off your helmet. Then you run to the run exit, which is at a different spot.

I think it is very important to familiarize yourself with the transition area before the race. Know exactly where "swim in", "bike out", "bike in", and "run out" are, and where your rack is in relation to all of them.

I hope that makes some sense. I checked the web site for your race, and there was no map of transition, but later today when I have some time, I will find a map of a TA for another race to help get an idea of what I mean.

Anthony
2010-08-10 5:34 AM
in reply to: #3033283

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-08-09 8:54 PM Hey Strangers!
   I have been soo out of the loop lately.  I begin my 1/2 marathon training tomorrow and am motivated to get moving.  I was on vacation in NY last week, great time but I didnt run once.  I cant believe that I passed up the opportunity to run when it was cool and no humidity.  Tomorrow is a new day!  Hope all is well with everyone=
paula

I hope you enjoyed your stay in the great state of New York Good luck with your HM training! You are probably out running while I am typing, so I better get out and run, too!

Anthony
2010-08-10 7:38 AM

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Welcome back Paula!  Thanks for the info. Anthony....makes sense.  I will get there in plenty of time to go through the transition area and familiarize myself with the on and off ramps =).
2010-08-10 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3033695

User image

Wilmington NC
[

I hope you enjoyed your stay in the great state of New York Good luck with your HM training! You are probably out running while I am typing, so I better get out and run, too!

Anthony

Actually i was leaving for work by the time you posted!!

2010-08-15 10:12 AM

User image

NH
That bike looks awesome Danny.

Checking in from the lake on vacation.  I'm doing plenty of training, but next week is recovery week and my legs are ready for a break, and it ends with the Timberman sprint on Sat.

I rode around the lake Friday, it was 61 miles of pure hilly hell!  I've done that ride once a year for a while, and this is the first time I've ever gotten through it without any stops and without feeling totally spent.  I guess training really does work!  I'm also becoming a camel apparently.
2010-08-16 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3044418

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Have a great race Saturday!  Congrats on your higher fitness level....that's gotta feel great =).
2010-08-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3044418

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-08-15 11:12 AM That bike looks awesome Danny.

Checking in from the lake on vacation.  I'm doing plenty of training, but next week is recovery week and my legs are ready for a break, and it ends with the Timberman sprint on Sat.

I rode around the lake Friday, it was 61 miles of pure hilly hell!  I've done that ride once a year for a while, and this is the first time I've ever gotten through it without any stops and without feeling totally spent.  I guess training really does work!  I'm also becoming a camel apparently.

Not only was that ride great training for your half, but it will be good for your sprint on Saturday as well. You're going to get to the end of the bike before you know it, and really be ready to run.

Anthony
2010-08-19 7:20 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
So I started my 10 week 1/2 marathon training program on tuesday.  Ran 3 miles comforatably, felt good.  I even stretched more than usual!  Well, by the time I got to work I could barely walk into the building.  My feet have been hurting after I sit for a while and get up but I just figured I am getting old.  It bothered me most of the morning, I had our trainer look at it- and he made me go see one of the PA's.  Turns out I have a stress fracture of my 5th metatarsal.  I couldnt really see it on the xray until he pointed it out- doesnt look like much.  I am stuck in a stupid boot for at least a week but more like 6.  Since i have had the boot, it barely hurts- only when i turn my foot out- the muscles that do that attach to the 5th meta.  I havent been sidelined like this since college and am NOT very happy about it.  I recruited 3 people to run the 1/2 with me and now it looks like I wont be able to do it.   I am optimistic that it will be only a week then I can return to activity but the therapist in me says to give it time so it doesnt become chronic.  If it fractures totally it will require surgery- definately dont want that.  UGH  just when I was getting back into the grove for good.  I must admit, it felt good to roll over at 4:30 this am instead of getting up to run.  He said I could bike ( pretty sure he meant on an exercise bike not a road bike) but I might venture out on the bike on sat.  Bike shoes are pretty stiff, just like the boot right??  I have learned a lesson though, I had been ignoring the pain for several weeks because it doesnt hurt when I run.  It doesnt mean the problem isnt serious though.  If I didnt have a cancellation to give me time to see the PA, I would have cont training and possibly fractured it for good and had to have surgery.  Listen to your body folks!!!
Hope all is well with everyone,  Keep on training!
Paula
2010-08-20 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3053764

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-08-19 8:20 PM So I started my 10 week 1/2 marathon training program on tuesday.  Ran 3 miles comforatably, felt good.  I even stretched more than usual!  Well, by the time I got to work I could barely walk into the building.  My feet have been hurting after I sit for a while and get up but I just figured I am getting old.  It bothered me most of the morning, I had our trainer look at it- and he made me go see one of the PA's.  Turns out I have a stress fracture of my 5th metatarsal.  I couldnt really see it on the xray until he pointed it out- doesnt look like much.  I am stuck in a stupid boot for at least a week but more like 6.  Since i have had the boot, it barely hurts- only when i turn my foot out- the muscles that do that attach to the 5th meta.  I havent been sidelined like this since college and am NOT very happy about it.  I recruited 3 people to run the 1/2 with me and now it looks like I wont be able to do it.   I am optimistic that it will be only a week then I can return to activity but the therapist in me says to give it time so it doesnt become chronic.  If it fractures totally it will require surgery- definately dont want that.  UGH  just when I was getting back into the grove for good.  I must admit, it felt good to roll over at 4:30 this am instead of getting up to run.  He said I could bike ( pretty sure he meant on an exercise bike not a road bike) but I might venture out on the bike on sat.  Bike shoes are pretty stiff, just like the boot right??  I have learned a lesson though, I had been ignoring the pain for several weeks because it doesnt hurt when I run.  It doesnt mean the problem isnt serious though.  If I didnt have a cancellation to give me time to see the PA, I would have cont training and possibly fractured it for good and had to have surgery.  Listen to your body folks!!!
Hope all is well with everyone,  Keep on training!
Paula

Oh man! That stinks! I hope you have a speedy and full recovery. Is that a kind of injury that responds to e-stim, or some other kind of stimulation to help the bone heal faster?

Don't forget to listen to whoever is taking care of you. You know how we health care people don't like it when our patients are noncompliant. Even so, we tend to be the worst patients, and the least compliant because we think we are smarter than we really are

Anthony

2010-08-20 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3054286

User image

Expert
Just wanted to mention that Warren is racing tomorrow; Timberman Sprint Tri in New Hampshire. Since he has been doing some really impressive training for his HIM next month, I think he will do really well at this sprint. Good luck Warren, and go kick some butt!!!

Anthony
2010-08-22 8:48 AM

User image

NH
The Timberman race was awesome.  I used someone's advice and had three goals - happy, stretch, and "if the stars align".  My stars align goal was 1:24, and I hit 1:22:58!  Gotta be happy, even it was partially due to the run being a little short (though the bike was long!).  After the swim and bike I was 10/82 in my age group, and I finished 23/82.  Running is still my downfall! 

My splits with times were: 8:30, 1:26/100, 46:05, 19.5 mph, 22:31, 7:30.  I'm amazed at the swim time since I had my goggles kicked totally off my head and I had to stop and find them about 75 yards into the swim.  It took me almost the whole rest of the swim to get back into a normal stroke again, though I drafted a fast guy and I think that was key.

I'll work on a race report for later.  Thanks for all the encouragement.

Paula, definitely rest that injury.  Stress fractures are nasty.  I had a good friend not take care of one several years ago and he's still not right.
2010-08-22 9:40 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
Great Race!!!  You killed your goal- keep up the good work!
  I am being good about my foot, I can bike, just dont feel like getting out there- sounds stupid.  Of course today I have time to go to the beach and have some fun but I am not lugging this boot around in the sand and that kind of unlevel surface would be the worst thing for the foot.  Oh well, I at least I am not in pain!
2010-08-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3057099

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-08-22 9:48 AM The Timberman race was awesome.  I used someone's advice and had three goals - happy, stretch, and "if the stars align".  My stars align goal was 1:24, and I hit 1:22:58!  Gotta be happy, even it was partially due to the run being a little short (though the bike was long!).  After the swim and bike I was 10/82 in my age group, and I finished 23/82.  Running is still my downfall! 

My splits with times were: 8:30, 1:26/100, 46:05, 19.5 mph, 22:31, 7:30.  I'm amazed at the swim time since I had my goggles kicked totally off my head and I had to stop and find them about 75 yards into the swim.  It took me almost the whole rest of the swim to get back into a normal stroke again, though I drafted a fast guy and I think that was key.

I'll work on a race report for later.  Thanks for all the encouragement.

WOW!! That really was an awesome race. You really did kick butt!!! I am looking forward to your race report.

Anthony
2010-08-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3057133

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-08-22 10:40 AM Great Race!!!  You killed your goal- keep up the good work!
  I am being good about my foot, I can bike, just dont feel like getting out there- sounds stupid.  Of course today I have time to go to the beach and have some fun but I am not lugging this boot around in the sand and that kind of unlevel surface would be the worst thing for the foot.  Oh well, I at least I am not in pain!

Good to hear that you are not in pain and are taking care of yourself. I think that not feeling like getting out there is a normal response to an injury. I also think that if you make yourself get out there and ride, that after a couple of miles you will start feeling good, and really get into it. Best of luck!!

Anthony

2010-08-22 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3057141

User image

Expert
I had an "interesting" weekend. There was a plumbing mishap at my office Friday night. It's going to cost me a few bucks between the insurance deductible and missing a day of work on Saturday, but even worse than that, it messed up my training schedule. I was supposed to have my longest run and bike leading up to my HIM, and now my plan is a little messed up. Should work out OK, though.

I have a couple things to share that gave me a chuckle, and I hope you will like them, too. First is a picture of me at  of the finish of my sprint last Sunday. A couple hundred yards from the finish, I heard some people catching me, so I picked up the pace. They still ended up passing me, but it turned out it was 2 young friends racing each other. When I saw them I figured that if I tried to keep up I would hurt myself so I let them go. Still, according to my garmin, my pace at the end was somewhere around 5 min/mile, so pretty quick for me. I think I look funny with my tongue sticking out and my hair flying, and looking at the guy passing me. Turns out they were in a wave ahead of me, so I beat them anyway.

The other funny thing was a few weeks ago when my wife and I were talking about my Sunday ride the night before. My daughter was moving to an apartment that Sunday, so I wanted to be home by 10 to help. I told my wife I would start my ride at 6, so I would be home between 9:30 and 10. Here's how the conversation went:

Her: You mean you are going to be riding for 3 and a half hours?
        Me: Yes.
        Her: 3 and a half hours?!?!
        Me: Yes.
        Her: Will you be pedaling the whole time?!?!?
        Me: Well, sometimes I coast, but mostly I'll be pedaling.
        Her: You're crazy!!!

Well, made me laugh, so hopefully you will like it.

Anthony

2010-08-23 12:31 PM

User image

NH
Race report is done.

That's an awesome shot Anthony.  I look just like that and a lot worse while running!  And that conversation is classic.  We have those all the time around my house.

Her:  What's tomorrow?
Me: Short bike.
Her: Short like 2 hours?
Me: No, interval day so like 1 hour.
Her: Wow, that IS short.  Can you really even call that a workout?
Me: It's intervals so it'll be nasty.
Her: But I assume you'll still be running afterward, right?
2010-08-25 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3059142

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Anthony:  Great pic!  I'd be enlarging that dude, framing it, and hanging it in the foyer entrance to the house =).
2010-08-25 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3059142

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-08-23 1:31 PM Race report is done.

You all should check out Warren's RR. He really rocked that race with a solid effort from start to finish. Outstanding!

That's an awesome shot Anthony.  I look just like that and a lot worse while running!  And that conversation is classic.  We have those all the time around my house.

Her:  What's tomorrow?
Me: Short bike.
Her: Short like 2 hours?
Me: No, interval day so like 1 hour.
Her: Wow, that IS short.  Can you really even call that a workout?
Me: It's intervals so it'll be nasty.
Her: But I assume you'll still be running afterward, right?

The things that we do can certainly lead to some interesting conversations Would you believe that after I posted that, my wife and I had a similar conversation about my 11 mile run, and whether I stopped for a break along the way.

Anthony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24