Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2010-11-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Well, the family is gone again so I can get back on track with training.  Tried to duck out yesterday for my long run but got guilted into staying home to visit with the parents.  So now with the house nice and quite, kitchen clean, and left overs tucked away in the fridge I threw on my shorts, shoes and hat to go for a run today...only to open the door to snow.  The mental toughness of training starts now.

2010-11-27 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
my requisite intro:  

i got a free entry to any Wildflower race for 2011, so looks like a HIM, here i come!  

this will be my 3rd season doing tris; last year i did the olympic distance @ Wildflower, so i know what to expect from this ... "challenging" ... race.  (read: signing up for Wildflower as my first 70.3 is a bit masochistic, i know.)  i've done a handful of sprints and olys, and one "long course" (1mi/36mi/10mi) so i'm not a absolute beginner, but this will be my first venture into 70.3 territory.

i've got a near lifetime background in running (although i'm pretty slow) and am a reasonably good cyclist.  my problem, like most others, is swimming.  so i'm hoping this training plan gives me a little bit of structure to building my swimming back up, as i haven't been in a pool in >6mos.  

anyway, greetings!     
2010-11-27 10:50 PM

Subject: Training Plan Adjustments
Hey all!

I am a 16 year old high school athlete and I want to do a HIM this summer. I have done a few sprints (on minimal training, I was hurt from cross country) and I am looking to get into triathlons more seriously. This plan seems great, but I would need modifications for school/bike team practices. Would changing around the days of the plan (i.e. putting rest on a thursday and doubling up my weekends and wednesdays) mess with the efficacy of it? I really would like to avoid injuries (which for me are too many and too often) and would like to know if this plan is more of a guideline, or an exact science ;) Any experiences of changes to the plan that did/didn't work, would be helpful.

I am a great runner and biker and, like everyone else, swimming is my weakness; I tend to dread those workouts. Any advice to make swimming more exciting? I would join a year-round team, but in my area they are intense (so intense that Chris Lieto trains with them!!!). I might join a masters swim program, but I would like to think I have the discipline to swim on my own.

Also, how is the Vineman HIM? I am thinking of doing Barb's Race, but I would gladly travel farther for an easier course. I am not afraid of a challenge, but I would like my first HIM to be a good experience and not involve puking, fainting, or egregiously large hills.

This group is great! Any advice would be appreciated ;)
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I have too much homework to read the entire thread atm, maybe during break I will get around to it!
~Emily 
2010-11-28 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3227614

Expert
Subject: RE: Training Plan Adjustments
ebal - 2010-11-27 10:50 PM Hey all!

I am a 16 year old high school athlete and I want to do a HIM this summer. I have done a few sprints (on minimal training, I was hurt from cross country) and I am looking to get into triathlons more seriously. This plan seems great, but I would need modifications for school/bike team practices. Would changing around the days of the plan (i.e. putting rest on a thursday and doubling up my weekends and wednesdays) mess with the efficacy of it? I really would like to avoid injuries (which for me are too many and too often) and would like to know if this plan is more of a guideline, or an exact science Any experiences of changes to the plan that did/didn't work, would be helpful.

I am a great runner and biker and, like everyone else, swimming is my weakness; I tend to dread those workouts. Any advice to make swimming more exciting? I would join a year-round team, but in my area they are intense (so intense that Chris Lieto trains with them!!!). I might join a masters swim program, but I would like to think I have the discipline to swim on my own.

Also, how is the Vineman HIM? I am thinking of doing Barb's Race, but I would gladly travel farther for an easier course. I am not afraid of a challenge, but I would like my first HIM to be a good experience and not involve puking, fainting, or egregiously large hills.

This group is great! Any advice would be appreciated
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I have too much homework to read the entire thread atm, maybe during break I will get around to it!
~Emily 

Don't you have to be 18 to do a HIM?  Get a fake ID 
2010-11-28 7:45 AM

User image

Wallingford, PA
Hi, I've been doing tris for about five years, but so far just sprints and Olympics. I've been afraid of the HIM because of the run (I've done the Aqua Velo for the distance). But this year I've done two half marathons and have pretty much convinced myself I can tackle the distance. I'm torn between the beginner plan, which definitely fits my lifestyle (full time job, three kids, dog and a yard that needs attention). On the other hand the other twenty week plan suits my ambitions. Guess I can combine them. Any thoughts from those who are in the middle or just completed training? I do well when I race Athena, but tend to finish top of third quarter in my age group. And I'm on the (ahem) more mature side. Getting perilously close to the big 50!
2010-11-28 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3227683

RE: Don't you have to be 18 to do a HIM?  Get a fake ID 

I would have done one this summer if I didn't believe the same thing you did. In fact, you only have to be 16 to compete in Barb's race (all women's at the Vineman course). I double, triple, and quadruple checked because it was too good to be true ;)

Edited by ebal 2010-11-28 3:39 PM

2010-11-29 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3227985

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
ebal - 2010-11-28 4:39 PM RE: Don't you have to be 18 to do a HIM?  Get a fake ID 

I would have done one this summer if I didn't believe the same thing you did. In fact, you only have to be 16 to compete in Barb's race (all women's at the Vineman course). I double, triple, and quadruple checked because it was too good to be true

I would stick to the plan as much as possible but moving the rest day around shouldn't be too much of a problem.  I've had to switch up my routine a bit in order to incorporate everything to the best of my abilities.  When I first started training I was trying to do everything after I got off of work (around 5pm).  When it came to swimming 1600m then running for 40mins I found I was getting home around 9pm, was too tired to eat a decent meal, and would head straight to bed only to wake up feeling like crap the next morning because I didn't take care of myself after training.  So now on days where there are two training evolutions I just wake up earlier to do the run in the morning then get the swim or bike done at night with plenty of time for family and relaxation.  I also moved my off day from Saturday to Friday because it was easier for me to get training done on a weekend than a weekday (and c'mon, no one wants to do more work than they have to on a Friday).  These changes have made training much more enjoyable for me without having to modify the plan itself very much.
2010-11-29 9:11 AM

User image

I am a 16 year old high school athlete and I want to do a HIM this summer. I have done a few sprints (on minimal training, I was hurt from cross country) and I am looking to get into triathlons more seriously. This plan seems great, but I would need modifications for school/bike team practices. Would changing around the days of the plan (i.e. putting rest on a thursday and doubling up my weekends and wednesdays) mess with the efficacy of it? I really would like to avoid injuries (which for me are too many and too often) and would like to know if this plan is more of a guideline, or an exact science Any experiences of changes to the plan that did/didn't work, would be helpful.

~Emily 

I read a really sweet article about a high school (male) triathlete recently, I'll post the link when I find it. Welcome
2010-11-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3227251

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mrfranks_84 - 2010-11-27 10:36 AM Well, the family is gone again so I can get back on track with training.  Tried to duck out yesterday for my long run but got guilted into staying home to visit with the parents.  So now with the house nice and quite, kitchen clean, and left overs tucked away in the fridge I threw on my shorts, shoes and hat to go for a run today...only to open the door to snow.  The mental toughness of training starts now.

Running in the snow can be incredibly peaceful. I love running while the snow is falling. It's so quiet, unlike rain.
2010-11-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3227581

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
novas - 2010-11-27 9:46 PM my requisite intro:  

i got a free entry to any Wildflower race for 2011, so looks like a HIM, here i come!  

this will be my 3rd season doing tris; last year i did the olympic distance @ Wildflower, so i know what to expect from this ... "challenging" ... race.  (read: signing up for Wildflower as my first 70.3 is a bit masochistic, i know.)  i've done a handful of sprints and olys, and one "long course" (1mi/36mi/10mi) so i'm not a absolute beginner, but this will be my first venture into 70.3 territory.

i've got a near lifetime background in running (although i'm pretty slow) and am a reasonably good cyclist.  my problem, like most others, is swimming.  so i'm hoping this training plan gives me a little bit of structure to building my swimming back up, as i haven't been in a pool in >6mos.  

anyway, greetings!     

Welcome!! I am sure your swim will improve pretty quickly since you are in good shape. When I took a long break from the pool and then had to start over, I found it helpful to swim every day for about 2 weeks, then go back to a normal swim schedule.
Looking forward to seeing your progress as you get ready for your first HIM!
2010-11-29 10:30 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

~Emily 

Hi Emily. You can definitely move the days around to fit your schedule. Try to keep the hardest workouts of the week at least one day apart to make sure you are fully recovered and ready for them.
To learn more about Vineman, visit the Race page here on BT and start reading the race reports. That will tell you a lot about the course. There are more than 80 race reports!
You can also visit the Iron Distance forum here. They talk about HIM and IM distance races there and you may find some good info on Vineman and other races.

2010-11-29 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3227690

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
careuther - 2010-11-28 7:45 AM Hi, I've been doing tris for about five years, but so far just sprints and Olympics. I've been afraid of the HIM because of the run (I've done the Aqua Velo for the distance). But this year I've done two half marathons and have pretty much convinced myself I can tackle the distance. I'm torn between the beginner plan, which definitely fits my lifestyle (full time job, three kids, dog and a yard that needs attention). On the other hand the other twenty week plan suits my ambitions. Guess I can combine them. Any thoughts from those who are in the middle or just completed training? I do well when I race Athena, but tend to finish top of third quarter in my age group. And I'm on the (ahem) more mature side. Getting perilously close to the big 50!

Welcome! It sounds to me like you are really ready for the HIM distance! Good for you for taking the time to make this decision at a time when you really feel ready.
Whichever plan you choose to go with, remember that you can still adjust it to meet your needs. I would suggest the Beginner plan because of your other commitments, but with the understanding that you can add miles to the long bike and add more swimming if you want, but that if life gets in the way you won't feel as though you aren't following your plan. In general, I think it is better mentally to add more to a plan when you can rather than take away from a plan because you have to.
2010-11-29 11:10 AM

Expert
My puppy just got back from a week in the kennel which he hates.  He's motivating me to go for a nice long run today even when i feel lazy--he deserves it.  Best running partner ever
2010-11-29 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3226988

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Mellissa - 2010-11-26 7:25 PM Greetings Just checking in, hows everybody's training? I got a little side tracked by a cold but I'll be back on track tomorrow.

Chalk last week up as a BUST!  Between being on vacation in the middle of nowhere, the freezing temps (so spoiled by our sunny so cal weather usually), getting a stupid cold, and the stuff fest of Thanksgiving...my training was lousy last week!

Time to suck it up and get back on track this week.  Of course I didn't start off too strong today by skipping both of my workouts.  With my sore throat and stuffy head I just couldn't bring myself to get in the pool.  Okay...time to suck it up and get back on track tomorrow. haha
2010-11-30 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Tried to get out on the bike this morning and the wind just ate me up.  Will get some miles in on the trainer tonight. 
2010-11-30 10:41 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm back running again after the calf problem. No problems so far. I raced a 4.09 mile turkey trot for thanksgiving. I trained through the race so I didn't put in my best performance, but it was good enough to beat my friend that I wanted to beat. He kills me at cycling all year and is an elite class mtb racer, so I don't even get to compete with him in his class. I beat him by 2 minutes at the turkey trot. I ended up running 26:46:08 for the 4.09 miles and taking 7th in my AG. Now it's back to maintainance mode until I officially start the marathon and HIM plans.

2010-11-30 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Ah.  Forgot I just signed up for my first half mary.  Cowtown 1/2 Mary in Ft. Worth.  Should be a good gauge of where I'm at.
2010-11-30 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Sounds like lots of people got sidetracked by the holiday. No worries - you probably spent it doing more important things, so don't beat yourself up about it. The more guilt you feel, the more pressure you put on yourself to get back in the swing of things. That kind of pressure can make it even harder to get back to it, so just remember most of us have trouble keeping a schedule over the holidays and IT'S OK!
2010-11-30 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3228748

User image

Veteran
SoCal
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-29 8:24 AM  

Welcome!! I am sure your swim will improve pretty quickly since you are in good shape. When I took a long break from the pool and then had to start over, I found it helpful to swim every day for about 2 weeks, then go back to a normal swim schedule.
Looking forward to seeing your progress as you get ready for your first HIM!

ha!  we'll see.  i may be in good shape, but when it comes to swimming, man ..... i've never been a good swimmer, can't afford lessons or classes, and taking a 6 month hiatus is like starting back at square one.  i struggled to get thru my 800yd workout yesterday.  my schedule doesn't allow for every day in the pool, but i've got 3-4/week scheduled for the next two months.  hopefully by then, i'm caught up to my biking/running training plan.  i watch a lot of videos and read a lot of how-to articles and tips ...  the race is over 5 months away.  i have a little time. 
2010-11-30 8:43 PM

Expert
This is frustrating.  Was sidetracked by the holiday a bit and made it up. Now am right in the middle of the craziest time ever for work and finals for my final year of school.  Got a run in yesterday but was in the library from 10am-3am pretty much and missed my swim.  Got both in today but need to make up that swim and my next ten days all seem to be about the same.  Fml.
2010-12-01 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3231385

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-11-30 8:43 PM This is frustrating.  Was sidetracked by the holiday a bit and made it up. Now am right in the middle of the craziest time ever for work and finals for my final year of school.  Got a run in yesterday but was in the library from 10am-3am pretty much and missed my swim.  Got both in today but need to make up that swim and my next ten days all seem to be about the same.  Fml.

Deep breath.
It happens. Life gets in the way. I promise, 6 months from now you won't be a crappy triathlete because you couldn't train for a couple of weeks. Just get through it the best you can.

2010-12-01 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3231385

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
JG- I feel you bro.  I was hoping to have a solid week but was sidelined Tuesday with a strained muscle... and I have to go to adoption classes all day Sat and Sun... 
Oh well, gonna try to do my first brick tomorrow (30 mi bike followed by at least 10min run) and then a long run on friday...  and maybe i can sneak in a swim late saturday. 
2010-12-02 12:35 AM
in reply to: #3232861

Expert
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-12-01 4:09 PM
JG_GreenCoast - 2010-11-30 8:43 PM This is frustrating.  Was sidetracked by the holiday a bit and made it up. Now am right in the middle of the craziest time ever for work and finals for my final year of school.  Got a run in yesterday but was in the library from 10am-3am pretty much and missed my swim.  Got both in today but need to make up that swim and my next ten days all seem to be about the same.  Fml.

Deep breath.
It happens. Life gets in the way. I promise, 6 months from now you won't be a crappy triathlete because you couldn't train for a couple of weeks. Just get through it the best you can.

True...the problem is taht a big part of me just wants to follow this plan perfectly and is scared to get off it.  I had my first swim lesson today, which was helpful, but after 45min in the pool and practicing breathing/drills, I really had no time to do my day's swim.  It looks like this next week is going to be a small casualty (should get 2/3 of my training in) then I'm going to pick it up for sure immediately following. 
2010-12-02 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Well, got my first triathlon event this weekend!  I signed up for a fundraiser at a local gym that has us swimming laps for 10mins, biking on a stationary bike for 30mins, then running on a treadmill for 20mins.  The person who accumulates the most distance wins.  It sounded fun and I thought it would be neat to do all three events to see how the body holds up.  Short notice of the event though made it so that I couldn't find sponsors for extra fundraising  Yell     I'll let you all know how it went on Saturday!

Edited by mrfranks_84 2010-12-02 8:02 AM
2010-12-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3233223

Expert
pistuo - 2010-12-01 11:08 PM JG- I feel you bro.  I was hoping to have a solid week but was sidelined Tuesday with a strained muscle... and I have to go to adoption classes all day Sat and Sun... 
Oh well, gonna try to do my first brick tomorrow (30 mi bike followed by at least 10min run) and then a long run on friday...  and maybe i can sneak in a swim late saturday. 

Just wondering...what are adopting classes? Like family prep for adopting a child? 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150