Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-12 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3294627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
tmoran80 - 2011-01-12 10:27 AM I did that 15% treadmill workout today and it was good.  I only did 1 mile in 13:30 and my HR was fairly high and I was sweating like a pig -haha  I am going to really try and incorporate this on light run days to reduce stress on my legs.

I may try that tonight.   There is also a program the Vision Fitness folks are high on on their treadmills.  20 mins.  Basically a run walk at elevation. 

2011-01-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3293707

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
IceManScott - 2011-01-11 9:50 PM One thing I had to learn on the swim and the run - if I don't breath all the way out, I can't breath in.  I have to push the air out and then my body had no choice but to fill my lungs with fresh air.  If I don't then stale air builds up and I feel like I'm out of breath all the time. 

Also on the swim, trust me, if you keep swimming through that initial feeling of breathlessness, it passes.  Your body is shifting ways of burning O2 or so my coach says...so if I just keep stroking and breathing through it, it will pass...Breath out, breath in...repeat.  Relaxing is critical. The water is my friend, the water is my friend.  Works...

Thanks IceMan
2011-01-12 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3294627

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2011-01-12 10:27 AMI did that 15% treadmill workout today and it was good.  I only did 1 mile in 13:30 and my HR was fairly high and I was sweating like a pig -haha  I am going to really try and incorporate this on light run days to reduce stress on my legs.
2011-01-12 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3295199

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Tim and Dave.....No need for the snow run now, it is all gone here.  I just have to get over my distain for the cold run.  But I did go ahead and hit the treadmill yesterday so I am not too far behind where I want to be. 

Has anyone used a blance/wobble board?  I got one for Christmas and used it today for the first time.  I love it.  For a simple and inexpensive item, it works all those little muscles great.

I placed my first race (5k) on my planned race list this week.  I would have signed up, but the site is not set up yet.  I am excited to get this one under my belt.  March 5 can't come quick enough!
2011-01-12 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3293669

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Well I just finished getting two feet of snow out of my driveway.  It should count for something even if I used the snowblower right?  How much did you guys get Deb?
2011-01-12 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Hope you are all having a great day. We had a bit of snow here in Southwestern Ontario ( doubled my commute to school from 50 minutes to 1hour and 40 minutes) Frown . The roads were clear getting home but I was stressed getting there this morning.

No swim today - but I am back in the water Thursday, Friday and Saturday - KEEP ON TRYING Laughing.

Got a small run on the tread mill in and a decent lift and stretch but I am tired today so I am hoping to get in the wrapper early tonight and get a good night's sleep after I get my prep work done for tomorrow.

I have a quick question I am hoping one of you might be able to answer for me - I picked up an extra dvd player this past weekend and I want to get some decent dvd bike workouts to watch sometimes instead of just regular TV in my work out basement - any suggestions on where to get them, what I should get and how much they might cost?

Thanks team and have a great night.

KC

PS - just tossing this out there again but I think it would be cool for some of us to plan on meeting somewhere late summer and doing a race together (that is of course if they let me wear water wings LOL - just kidding - I will figure that water thing out sooner or later Smile)

2011-01-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3294096

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
robburkett - 2011-01-12 7:46 AM Had a pretty decent swim yesterday except on the drills.  I felt dreadfully slow on the Closed Fist drill and can't really get into Swim Golf as I find myself losing focus on form.  In fact, I wanted to throw that drill out completely because I don't really get the reason for it.  Isn't it just diagnosing a symptom and not the cause?

4.4 miles on tap today and I'm stoked.  I usually have a hard time containing myslef as I sometimes have 4 miles to do and throw down 6 just because I feel like it.  Methinks that this is causing some of my nagging issues.  Need to build a little slower.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't get that swim golf drill.  I always end up losing count towards the end or not doing the math fast enough before my rest is complete.
2011-01-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3295775

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-12 6:29 PM Well I just finished getting two feet of snow out of my driveway.  It should count for something even if I used the snowblower right?  How much did you guys get Deb?

LOL -  NO! it totally doesn't count if you used a snowblower!  - We got 24.5 inches in the end and shoveled it with a REAL shovel!

Managed to brave the roads and get to the computrainer class tonight- which are still awful! 

Different person 'teaching' tonight - I can't remember the last time I have felt SO frustrated. She was speaking in 'bike' and it was like a foreign language. I felt I would have been better at home on my own trainer. Not a good workout.

(snow..jpg)

Attachments
----------------
snow..jpg (72KB - 10 downloads)
2011-01-12 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3296004

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-12 8:56 PM
kdevarenne - 2011-01-12 6:29 PM Well I just finished getting two feet of snow out of my driveway.  It should count for something even if I used the snowblower right?  How much did you guys get Deb?

LOL -  NO! it totally doesn't count if you used a snowblower!  - We got 24.5 inches in the end and shoveled it with a REAL shovel!

Managed to brave the roads and get to the computrainer class tonight- which are still awful! 

Different person 'teaching' tonight - I can't remember the last time I have felt SO frustrated. She was speaking in 'bike' and it was like a foreign language. I felt I would have been better at home on my own trainer. Not a good workout.

OK - nice pic - I take it back - I guess we did not get any snow compared to that - all we got was 5 cm LOL. Where do you live? Sorry to hear about your bike workout.
2011-01-12 8:00 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Just downloaded my first official plan for training - The Michael Pates Total Sprint 22 Weeks - I am excited - now it is time to pick some races.

Have a great night team.

KC

2011-01-12 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Deb I hope you were out on your race bike in that weather, a true racer would.lol 

I have not tried the wobble board but I use a bosa (SP) half ball and that works the small muscles great.

KC keep watching the BT classifieds there always seems to be spinnervals or other dvd that are much cheaper than new.

2011-01-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3296104

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-12 9:43 PM Deb I hope you were out on your race bike in that weather, a true racer would.lol 

I have not tried the wobble board but I use a bosa (SP) half ball and that works the small muscles great.

KC keep watching the BT classifieds there always seems to be spinnervals or other dvd that are much cheaper than new.

Thanks Coach
2011-01-12 8:54 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

3 potential races in my training log for 2011 - all Sprints.

Now just waiting for on line registration to begin.

Sunday June 19th, Leamington Ontario

Sunday July 17, Gravenhurst Ontario

Sunday August 28, Toronto Island

2011-01-12 10:55 PM

User image

springfield il
Really good info in the posts! Erin your enthusiasm is contagiousSurprised, congrats on all your efforts.
Scott your insight on breathing was just what I needed to hear (read).

As far as the specific swimming drills; is this all apart of the total immersion program?
Tim your tri schedule looks great. Any advice on how far apart to schedule events? I would like to do at least 2 possible 3, plus a century ride on 9/11

Dave could you post more info the gear swaps?

You guys are the best!! Have a great Thursday!!!
Small victories....

MaryS
2011-01-13 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
I HATE RUNNING ON A TREADMILL!

I took one for my fiance and went to the gym with her.  That put me indoors on a run for the first time in months.  UGH!  I could not cooldown to save my life.  I wanted to focus on staying in zone and got so concerned that I would overheat and crank up mt HR too much that it was distracting.

I think I ended up slower as a result.  Has anyone else had this experience?

1500yd swim and then spin class today.  I even put myself "Out of Office" for my swim.  I love working from home.  And some exciting news - got a used XTerra Votrex 3 full wetsuit in the mail yesterday!  It's got of couple of tiny fingernail tears in it but you can't beat the deal I got on it!  Tried it on and it fit perfectly.  So, aside from replacing the Barracuda Swim Mask I am currently using and some tri-bike shoes, I am all set as far as gear is concerned for the coming season!

Edited by robburkett 2011-01-13 7:01 AM
2011-01-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3296451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robburkett - 2011-01-13 6:57 AM I HATE RUNNING ON A TREADMILL!

I took one for my fiance and went to the gym with her.  That put me indoors on a run for the first time in months.  UGH!  I could not cooldown to save my life.  I wanted to focus on staying in zone and got so concerned that I would overheat and crank up mt HR too much that it was distracting.

1500yd swim and then spin class today.  I even put myself "Out of Office" for my swim.  I love working from home.  And some exciting news - got a used XTerra Votrex 3 full wetsuit in the mail yesterday!  It's got of couple of tiny fingernail tears in it but you can't beat the deal I got on it!  Tried it on and it fit perfectly.  So, aside from replacing the Barracuda Swim Mask I am currently using and some tri-bike shoes, I am all set as far as gear is concerned for the coming season!

We bought a Vision Fitness treadmill last month.  I love the convenience.  I fell on a 10 mile run after dark last summer and really screwed myself up.  This will take that risk away.  If I get backed up during the day and have to run after darm, I can do it downstairs.  Same now with the ice and snow.  And no line at the gym waiting for equipment.  As for pace, I found a chart. 

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

It figures pace from your mph and elevation.  I'm unsure what you mean you couldn't cool down.  The basement is finished with low ceilings and cool when I start, hot soon afterward.  I have a fan on me and I'm going to invest in a better one this weekend.  But actually running hot for me is good training.  Last summer I melted at 85 degrees.  I have to get used to going harder in heat.  So it's all good. 

2011-01-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3296549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
IceManScott - 2011-01-13 7:57 AM
robburkett - 2011-01-13 6:57 AM I HATE RUNNING ON A TREADMILL!

We bought a Vision Fitness treadmill last month.  I love the convenience.  I fell on a 10 mile run after dark last summer and really screwed myself up.  This will take that risk away.  If I get backed up during the day and have to run after darm, I can do it downstairs.  Same now with the ice and snow.  And no line at the gym waiting for equipment.  As for pace, I found a chart. 

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

It figures pace from your mph and elevation.  I'm unsure what you mean you couldn't cool down.  The basement is finished with low ceilings and cool when I start, hot soon afterward.  I have a fan on me and I'm going to invest in a better one this weekend.  But actually running hot for me is good training.  Last summer I melted at 85 degrees.  I have to get used to going harder in heat.  So it's all good. 

There was absolutely no air movement in the gym - so I was just drowning in sweat.  I don't mind heat so much as long as the wicking properties of my clothes are assisted by evaporation.  Wasn't getting any of that last night.
2011-01-13 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3296004

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-12 8:56 PM

Heh!  I was going to shovel, but it broke after about five scoops.  Laughing  So I had to borrow my neighbours blower.  Good thing it doesn't walways come down that bad.
2011-01-13 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Mary, there is nothing formal as far as gear swaps. As I have become friends with more people all you have to do is mention you are looking at a particular part and if someone is not using it they will offer it up for you to try.  For instance I bout my P3 and it came with a great seat Fizik (sp) that some pay a hefty price for, but I ride the ISM so i have let a couple people try it out.  As for your race schedule it depends how much of an effort you put into the race, if your going out and having fun you could do one every week if the distances are short enough.  I have friends that race a series that is just about every week in the OLY distance and they just treat it as their long workouts.  If you are trying to peak for a race then that might be alittle harder.

KC looks like a good schedule but I'm not dragging my portable house over the bridge to Canada! lol

Rob thats why its called the Dreadmill! :-)  It does make you mentally stronger though.  Sometimes you just have to run at how you feel or perceived effort (some train that way). Anytime you have a climate change your body has to adjust.  Last time I was out west skiing I was dying at a 9mm, when at the same HR at sea level I would be around 7mm.  That is great news on the wetsuit.

2011-01-13 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Overslept this morning. Almost decided to cancel my workout buy stuck with it. 

1.5 mile run first. Glad I didn't look at the temp first though - it was a nice warm 12 above. Then went to the pool where everything just seemed to "click" I did my warm-up in 8 minutes flat (2:00 pace!!!!) and was barely out of breath. Then went into my main set where I averaged 2:30 with a recovery lap after every 75. Felt like I was positively flying!  It was amazing. The guy in the lane next me tried making fun of me when I got out and asked if that was all I was going to do. I calmly explained that I had done the 1200 my training plan had for the day in record time and before that had gone on a run. 

His jaw dropped...just a little but I saw it!!

Then he made some remark about how if I learned to turn properly I could save another 15sec/100 and then I could call myself a swimmer. Meanwhile I think I only saw him swim a 50 for every 200 I did. He was talking the rest of the time! I thanked him for his opinion and walked out. Feeling GOOD!

One more day and then I've made an entire week of workouts!

I'm beginning to think that exercise is addictive. Must look into this phenomena some more!UndecidedTongue outLaughing I think I'll start tomorrow with a bike ride!

Good luck today everyone!
2011-01-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3296785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
sanhador - 2011-01-13 9:23 AM Overslept this morning. Almost decided to cancel my workout buy stuck with it. 

1.5 mile run first. Glad I didn't look at the temp first though - it was a nice warm 12 above. Then went to the pool where everything just seemed to "click" I did my warm-up in 8 minutes flat (2:00 pace!!!!) and was barely out of breath. Then went into my main set where I averaged 2:30 with a recovery lap after every 75. Felt like I was positively flying!  It was amazing. The guy in the lane next me tried making fun of me when I got out and asked if that was all I was going to do. I calmly explained that I had done the 1200 my training plan had for the day in record time and before that had gone on a run. 

His jaw dropped...just a little but I saw it!!

Then he made some remark about how if I learned to turn properly I could save another 15sec/100 and then I could call myself a swimmer. Meanwhile I think I only saw him swim a 50 for every 200 I did. He was talking the rest of the time! I thanked him for his opinion and walked out. Feeling GOOD!

One more day and then I've made an entire week of workouts!

I'm beginning to think that exercise is addictive. Must look into this phenomena some more!UndecidedTongue outLaughing I think I'll start tomorrow with a bike ride!

Good luck today everyone!

Endorphin rush!  I actually get pumped about a workout beforehand because I know how good I'm going to feel afterwards.  And if I achieve new highs in the training, that's just icing on the cake.

Keep up the great work!

2011-01-13 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3296756

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-13 10:14 AM Mary, there is nothing formal as far as gear swaps. As I have become friends with more people all you have to do is mention you are looking at a particular part and if someone is not using it they will offer it up for you to try.  For instance I bout my P3 and it came with a great seat Fizik (sp) that some pay a hefty price for, but I ride the ISM so i have let a couple people try it out.  As for your race schedule it depends how much of an effort you put into the race, if your going out and having fun you could do one every week if the distances are short enough.  I have friends that race a series that is just about every week in the OLY distance and they just treat it as their long workouts.  If you are trying to peak for a race then that might be alittle harder.

KC looks like a good schedule but I'm not dragging my portable house over the bridge to Canada! lol

Rob thats why its called the Dreadmill! :-)  It does make you mentally stronger though.  Sometimes you just have to run at how you feel or perceived effort (some train that way). Anytime you have a climate change your body has to adjust.  Last time I was out west skiing I was dying at a 9mm, when at the same HR at sea level I would be around 7mm.  That is great news on the wetsuit.

Hey Coach. I am more then willing to change my schedule at any time to meet with some of our group. I put those races up so I had goals and deadlines. I am willing to go anywhere Smile.

Also, if anyone is interested in the Leamington Sprint Tri - let me know - my sister has a cottage on Lake Erie - 15 minutes from the race site and there is room for a few people to stay there for the weekend. Nice beach for open water swim, country roads for bike and run. perfect place to get ready for a race.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

KC
2011-01-13 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Erin that is great.  Just trying to figure how your warm-up was faster than your sets though??  Either way good job!
As for being a swimmer its more fun to be a triathlete, people are always trying to get me to do flip turns ( which I can do) and I ask them how many tri's they have done kicking off a wall every 25 or 50 yards.  I tend not to kick hard off the wall just to force myself to work harder.  I could care less about my pool time, I worry about my race time. lol 

KC where is Leamington?

2011-01-13 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3297585

User image

Expert
We have a bunch of meatheads at my gym who sit there and lift and curl huge weights, grunting and dropping them on the floor and I always get the feeling they are smirking at me when I sit there and curl my 20 lbs.  I sometimes just want to say to them -"Yeah buddy, you got me beat on the ability to curl my own body weight but I bet you can't chase me around for 6 hours" -haha.  Haven't really said that yet becasue I would probably get my *** kicked but it makes me feel so much better -haha

razorxp - 2011-01-13 1:06 PM Erin that is great.  Just trying to figure how your warm-up was faster than your sets though??  Either way good job!
As for being a swimmer its more fun to be a triathlete, people are always trying to get me to do flip turns ( which I can do) and I ask them how many tri's they have done kicking off a wall every 25 or 50 yards.  I tend not to kick hard off the wall just to force myself to work harder.  I could care less about my pool time, I worry about my race time. lol 

KC where is Leamington?

Edited by tmoran80 2011-01-13 2:42 PM
2011-01-13 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3297585

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
razorxp - 2011-01-13 12:06 PM Erin that is great.  Just trying to figure how your warm-up was faster than your sets though??  Either way good job!

I took a recovery lap after every 75. So I did 75 free 25 back instead of swimming them straight. I was trying not to go too fast and gas myself. Basically I wasn't sure I could hold that pace for the whole time.

Thanks!

Edited by sanhador 2011-01-13 4:14 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76