BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-02-15 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3355143

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
tstl - 2011-02-14 7:52 PM Peggy, just another thought - that's pretty much how I felt the few times I got dehydrated and/or over-heated. Are either of those a possibility? And for nutrition, are you consuming a couple hundred calories/hour? Getting some electrolytes?And yes, Hilde, I'm planning to come to Indy. Are you planning to fly up on Friday?

^---- This is exactly what I was thinking.  The one race where I had a similar experience, I was pushing myself and I did not take in enough fluids.  Thankfully, there were plenty of companies hawking their wares at the finish line and three promotional drinks later, I was much better.

2011-02-15 5:46 AM
in reply to: #3355297

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
wsilverthorne - 2011-02-14 9:45 PM
jordiebrigs - 2011-02-14 9:39 PM
wsilverthorne - 2011-02-14 8:33 PM
jordiebrigs - 2011-02-13 11:21 PM I have a question.
Do you think it would be ok to do a sprint tri one weekend before doing an international distance?  It would be my first international distance. I think I would like the idea of having a sort of practice the weekend before, but I'm not sure about my soreness level. 

So Jordan, I don't have experience at longer distances...so I can't comment there.  But your main goal is to complete the longer distance as a race.  I'd NOT take the chance of not being ready for that race...what if you got injured, went too hard and was too sore to recover properly...etc.  I'd concentrate on the longer distance and do a shorter tri later on when it's not competing with your real goal.  Just my thoughts .

Oh. Well. The shorter distance I was talking about was the Indy Tri. I have an international distance the next weekend. I may do the sprint for that if I'm not feeling ready. Like always, I'm nervous about the swim. But, I figure what the hay. When's the next chance I will get to meet you guys.

I take all that back...you gotta come race your A$$ off in Indy!!!!  We'll have a blast!!!  The swim in indy isn't bad at all...600ish yards....two buoys... the worst part is coming back to the beach...the sun is right in your eyes - hard to see shore and the markers.  The swim start is staggered..a person every 2 seconds...works out pretty well.  Yeah, glad you are IN!!!!

Quick serious note:  Swim goggles with the reflective material on them are your friend in these sun filled situations and well worth the investment.

I'm 30/70 on being able to come.  It's a long shot for a variety of reasons but I should know within a few weeks.  Does this race sell out early?
2011-02-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3355499

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Wilson, I forgot to ask, and everyone probably needs to know this, but last year was the Indy tri a wetsuit swim??  Any idea what the water temps were/will be? 
2011-02-15 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3355349

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
wrkinprogress - 2011-02-14 10:33 PM I laughed mightily at the T-shirt, Hilde: thanks for my one chuckle of the day!

And yeah, gang, I'm wrking on the Indy tri weekend-- will let you know ASAP... it sounds like an utter blast for sure! (Hey Wilson and Jordie-- any chance either of you will come up/down to Chi-town for the tri there? It's a huge keg o' tri madness!

MMMers are awesome. I'm just sayin'.

Hey Alex, I think I would be game.  When is it?  The wifey loves spending time in Chicago.  I could make it a fun weekend for me and her.  That'd be cool!  By the way...you had me at keg o'tri madness.....ME LIKES BEER!!! 
2011-02-15 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3355396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-02-14 11:25 PM Hey, Wilson, could I have one of those beds? I don't mind the top bunk. In fact, I rather like being on top ;-)

Hey, you like it on top....by all means - you be on top!!! haha...Jordie, you have a bunk mate!!  So the full size futon is still available.  Four extra women in the house.....WTF - AM I CRAZY OR WHAT????   Laughing
2011-02-15 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Veteran
Maaaaaaannn - I am so sad that it is likely that I'll have to miss this fun...I'm going to feel like an outcast I just don't think I'm going to get hubby agree to the expense (never mind the fact that he'd be home alone with the kids all weekend)...he's not so supportive of this "hobby" as it is "too much time to train, too much  money on equipment/races/etc". I haven't given up hope...I'm working on him!

2011-02-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3355489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
gnome - 2011-02-15 6:35 AM Geez you guys, my phone was blowing up all night (I was at clinical and unable to check my emails).  No wonder my left boob was vibrating all night...

Thanks Jen for that info....haha.... maybe tonight you can vibrate the right one....wanna have balance - it would be a shame to have one jealous of the other...Just sayin'....I'll stop there!! haha
2011-02-15 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3355396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-02-14 11:25 PM Hey, Wilson, could I have one of those beds? I don't mind the top bunk. In fact, I rather like being on top ;-)

Tammy, I assume you will be flying in....If you want - I'll pick you up from the airport.  Our airport  iskick A$$ - in and out in no time! 
2011-02-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3355499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Shawn, good point about the swim goggles!  I'll have to expand my collection from 1 to 2..haha.  Do try and make it - we need some more testosterone to balance the girly stuff.....Although we'll probably get our A$$ kicked by the girlies..haha....Don't leave them ALL to be my women!!!  The race does not sell out...at least in the past couple of years.
2011-02-15 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3356227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-02-15 12:56 PM Wilson, I forgot to ask, and everyone probably needs to know this, but last year was the Indy tri a wetsuit swim??  Any idea what the water temps were/will be? 

No, not a wet suit swim.  I watched the June tri and can only remember a few with wetsuits.  I'm guessing for a normal year the water temp will be upper 70's....In July it was 81.  As we get closer I'll keep everyone posted.

Some data from race reports for the June Tri.
2008 - 75 deg
2009 - 77 deg 
2010 - 79 deg
2011-02-15 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3356943

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
PTWykes - 2011-02-15 8:20 PM Maaaaaaannn - I am so sad that it is likely that I'll have to miss this fun...I'm going to feel like an outcast I just don't think I'm going to get hubby agree to the expense (never mind the fact that he'd be home alone with the kids all weekend)...he's not so supportive of this "hobby" as it is "too much time to train, too much  money on equipment/races/etc". I haven't given up hope...I'm working on him!

Marsha....come'on the hubby is a man.....Negotiate...the male species is easy to convince - given the right motivation.  I can send you a private message if you want some sure win negotiation measures.  haha  You can shack up at the Silverthorne compound to defray some costs....you gotta come!!!  Just gotta.  Work it girl....I'm sure you can be creative Tongue out.  Plus, if you need to you can always just kick his A$$ since you are super strong wonder woman! 

2011-02-15 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3354687

User image

Regular
peggyf - 2011-02-14 3:30 PM It's me butting into your group again.  Question for anyone out there:  Twice now when I've done longer distance races (one was an olympic tri and another - recently - was a 1/2 marathon) as soon as I cross the finish line I start to feel sick -- seriously sick to my stomach (no vomiting yet though) and dizzy like I'm gonna  pass out.  I walk for a bit and then have sat down and put my head down lower than my chest - that usually helps.  I'm sure it has something to do with the lactic acid but how do I avoid it?  On my recent half marathon, I did a run:walk (2:1) so it wasn't like I was going all out for 13 miles and then boom I stopped.  I don't get it.  Any thoughts?

Hi Peggy,

It's Denise.  Your blood sugar and hydration is too low.  The nausea comes because blood is being shunted away from your GI system to try to maintain your blood pressure which is hard to do when you're dehydrated.  Putting your head below your waist helps you feel better it takes less work to keep your blood pressure when you're bent over or lying down than it does when you are standing up. Since you can't maintain an adequate blood pressure when dehydrated, you have a lack of blood flow to the brain which causes the dizziness.  Lactic acid would give you cramping just under your rib cage on the right and would not account for your symptoms.  Also if it's already hot an humid in FL,  you're losing vital electrolytes in your sweat. You need to work on getting more calories and fluid in during your race so that you don't bonk out.

I experienced this during training for a marathon in FL.  I was on a 14 mile long run.  I did not have anything other than water.  At mile 9 I was feeling pretty sick.  I made it home by the grace of God.  I collapsed in the foyer of our house.  I told my husband to get me some iced tea with sugar.  He gave me crystal light which has no sugar.  I realized this when after 30 minutes I still wasn't feeling better!  I was convinced he was trying to cash in my life insurance policy!
2011-02-15 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3357063

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
  I was convinced he was trying to cash in my life insurance policy!

That reminds me, I need to get my fiance to change his policy over to me.  Just sayin.
2011-02-15 10:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
OK guys, its late here and I just skimmed all of the posts, but I'm getting excited about this INDY thing.  I will probably need to make an appearance at work on Friday, unless I can get it off.  It looks like a 6 hour drive for me.  That would put me in on Friday night (hopefully early enough for packet pickup...).  I will also need to hit the road on Sunday.   I have another Tri (sprint) on Wednesday and I will only be a couple of weeks out from my marathon, but what else do I have to do??

Peggy - your problems almost have to be nutritional (or hydration related).  I would bet on nutrition.   Are you trying any gels or eating someting on your longer runs?   I am a real fan of Hammer products.  I would recommend perpetium either in a liquid or solid.   If you want to order from them on line you can use my customer # (136657) and get a discount.

I'll spend more time re-reading the posts from the last couple of days tomorrow.
2011-02-15 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3356997

User image

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-02-15 7:03 PM

Tammy, I assume you will be flying in....If you want - I'll pick you up from the airport.  Our airport  iskick A$$ - in and out in no time! 
Yeah, I'll probably take my chances on stand-by, since it's free. Glad to hear I won't need to drag a wetsuit through the airport! I might need to rent a car, though- there will be an awful lot of bodies, bikes, and equipment to haul around.In other news, would you guys believe I actually have a sprint coming up in a couple of weeks? It's at Firebird raceway, in a lake used for speedboat races. That probably means the water tastes like racing fuel, but maybe it'll make me faster! And it's so close to home, I could actually ride my bike there if I wanted!
2011-02-16 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3357214

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Ugh on the swim water, Tammy.... the other Tammy and I did a sprint last year at the Texas Ski Ranch (obviously not snow skiing)... they have this set up for water skiiers, boogie boarders and such, and the water is nasty, DOES taste like fuel, even though there are no boats in the water.  Ha ha, we're talking about doing it again!  There's a little island in the middle of it, there are goats on it... do goats swim?

How iffy is stand by???  Would hate for you not to get a flight out!!  So if YOU fly free, does your BIKE fly free too?? 

I am sooo sooo excited about all the MMMer's that are coming!!  Wilson's Harem!!  But he'll share with Shawn if he can make it out...

2011-02-16 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3357330

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
hildekq - 2011-02-16 7:03 AM Ugh on the swim water, Tammy.... the other Tammy and I did a sprint last year at the Texas Ski Ranch (obviously not snow skiing)... they have this set up for water skiiers, boogie boarders and such, and the water is nasty, DOES taste like fuel, even though there are no boats in the water.  Ha ha, we're talking about doing it again!  There's a little island in the middle of it, there are goats on it... do goats swim?

How iffy is stand by???  Would hate for you not to get a flight out!!  So if YOU fly free, does your BIKE fly free too?? 

I am sooo sooo excited about all the MMMer's that are coming!!  Wilson's Harem!!  But he'll share with Shawn if he can make it out...

He better!  Then again, while he's in the basement playing with you all, I can always enjoy his nice comfy bed.  I'm sure his wife won't mind, especially if I can get cracking on some more weight loss, so we are close to being around the same size.  With any luck, she might not even notice... 
2011-02-16 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Man, wish I could make it to Indy, but the fiance is already balking at entry fees, and with my job situation unknown right now, I can't make long-term plans like that. 
2011-02-16 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
So has anyone actually registered for the event in Indy yet?  Also, are we getting hotel rooms or crashing at Casa Wilson?
2011-02-16 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3357557

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
So far I think we are all crashing at Wilson's house, A SLUMBER PARTY!!!!

I haven't registered yet, I'm not sure it's even open yet to register, haven't looked into it that far yet...
2011-02-16 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I'm going to register in the next couple of weeks. It's open for registration!

2011-02-17 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3358557

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
So I've been wondering how much of my run suckness is due to my daily nutrition... so today I let myself enjoy some CHOCOLATE (one of my students brought me a solid chocolate huge candy Kiss!) and came home and made 1/2 a pb+J... so I've had some carbs!!  I swam this morning and I am sore??  Ran last night and got done and was sore?!  In any case, I'm about to head out, even though my tummy isn't liking the pb+j too much right now, but if it makes me run faster, I'll deal. 

Plus we need a bump, page 2,  REALLY?!
2011-02-17 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Well, pb+j seemed to make a big difference!  Over a minute a mile faster than yesterday for virtually the same HR... I felt like I pushed it alot harder though since yesterday was a 6 miler and today was under 3.  I need to find that fine line where I can lose weight and still have training energy! 
2011-02-17 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Glad you got your groove back Hilde!  Chocolate cures everything, in my opinion.

I ran outside today. I only had to wear two light shirts and capris.  It was about 53 out and glorious!  I love the smell and feel of springtime!  
2011-02-17 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
And, it has been rather quiet in here.  Wilson must be planning our demise. Have you seen the movie Facebook Killer? Just sayin.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70