BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-04-13 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3443977

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
dughogue - 2011-04-13 9:39 AM

ha, hyperbole and a half is an awesome blog. 

I am getting ready for the first event of the season this Saturday! Miami University (of Ohio) triathlon.  It has an 400m indoor swim,a short 13 mile bike and a 5k run.  Hope the weather holds out and is not raining.  I am really looking forward to this one, last year the first tri I did,made me a bit anxious.  I was sure I could get across the finish I just wasn't sure how long it would take me.  Now that I have spent a lot more time training, I feel comfortable with the distances.

I'll let you know how it goes

I think distances like this are a great lot of fun.  If you're not one of the people taking off in the first hour of the swim, expect people to be finishing before you even start, and don't let it throw you off your plan.

2011-04-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3271854

Picked my bike up today!  It had a few minor adjustments and general tune up, I got some good tips from the people at the shop, and soon there will be new pedals with toe cages as well.

A long run with a friend is the plan for tomorrow, followed by some of the greasiest pizza in town.  Loving that it is FINALLY feeling like spring here!

2011-04-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3446671

User image

Pittsburgh

I got out for my first ride of the year last night.  I was short but nice, plus I met a guy that runs a bike club for beginners.  It sounds like it will be good for me.  I have a long run tomorrow and hoping to get another outside bike ride in on Sunday.

I just wanted to wish a happy training weekend to the group and for those of you racing, good luck and have fun.

2011-04-18 4:19 PM

User image

Cincinnati

First Tri of the seaon was a bit cold and rainy, but I had a good time.  At least the rain held out for me until the final mile of the run.  I am sure a lot of people that started the swim after me got rained on during the bike.  The distance was 400m/13mile/5k and I went 7:20/46:09/28:37 with t1 1:55  and t2 2:20.  For a grand total of 1:26:24.  this was good for 18th in my age group and 201 out of 500 overall.  I felt that I could have pushed it harder on the swim and I felt my right calf start to tense up on a couple of the hills on the bike.  The run felt nice and easy.  So I'm glad I got to get out there and get an update on my fitness level coming out of the winter.  In comparison to last year, I had a similar but faster swim at the dayton tri, but the bike was faster and was way more hilly than Dayton.  The run is a personal best.  Let the training begin again, gotta love getting PR's.

2011-04-19 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3453366

Congratulations!!  Sounds like a smashing success.
2011-04-20 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3453366

User image

On your right
dughogue - 2011-04-18 5:19 PM

First Tri of the seaon was a bit cold and rainy, but I had a good time.  At least the rain held out for me until the final mile of the run.  I am sure a lot of people that started the swim after me got rained on during the bike.  The distance was 400m/13mile/5k and I went 7:20/46:09/28:37 with t1 1:55  and t2 2:20.  For a grand total of 1:26:24.  this was good for 18th in my age group and 201 out of 500 overall.  I felt that I could have pushed it harder on the swim and I felt my right calf start to tense up on a couple of the hills on the bike.  The run felt nice and easy.  So I'm glad I got to get out there and get an update on my fitness level coming out of the winter.  In comparison to last year, I had a similar but faster swim at the dayton tri, but the bike was faster and was way more hilly than Dayton.  The run is a personal best.  Let the training begin again, gotta love getting PR's.

It also seems like you could have had a bit quicker of a transition, especially T2.  These are places to get some time back on competition, and like every other part of the event, need to be practiced.  In a pool swim, I understand that T1 can take a longer time, because you have to get from the pool to the transition area, and I've seen some longer and trickier runs happen there.  But T2 should be fast. 

So here are some transition tips to think about.

When you're setting up in the morning, put your sunglasses in your helmet, that way you put them on and then your helmet right away.  I'll assume that we're not doing flying mounts.  If you're not, it's something to consider learning.  Anyhow, if you're clipless, you have the option to put your shoes on at your rack.  If you NEED clean feet, do it now, and use your towel that you've set out to put all your stuff on as a mat and wipe your feet off.  If you don't NEED them clean, AND there is room past the mount line for the bike, consider, after your glasses and helmet go on, just carrying your shoes and your bike and running barefoot to the mount line.  Then you can get your shoes on and take off without needing to slowly run in your bike shoes.  That being said, remember that lots of people will be getting on their bikes here, and it might not be a great place to try and get your shoes on.  However, if there is a curb or something, you may find this saves you a few seconds.

With T2, you should really be able to fly.  IF IF IF you have practiced and are able to get your feet out of your shoes while moving on the bike, go for it.  If you don't practice this, think about starting.  To save a few seconds by not needing to stop, unclip, then start moving again can really move you up in the rankings.  However, if this is not in your skill set, no biggie.  You just need to have set your area up well pre-race.  Have your shoes on the bottom of your run pile, then your race number, then your hat/visor (if you're wearing one.)  If you wear socks to run, in the pre-race set up, put them on and then roll them off of your foot.  Then put the sock on top of each shoe.  Now when you get to T2, you can put your toes in, then roll the sock back on your foot.  MUCH easier than trying to pull it on.  That being said, if you can practice running without socks, your T-times will thank you for it.  Also, you can put some body glide on the inside of the top of your shoes to help your foot slide in quicker, and your shoe, of course, has some sort of quick lace system so you don't need to fiddle with tying your laces.  Right?  Ok, now that your shoes are on, grab your race belt, which already has your number on it (because you did that the night before, or in your pre-race set up) and start running to the run start.  Put your race belt on as you're moving.

If you don't have a race belt, you should get one.  It keeps you from needing to pin your number to your shirt.  Since most people won't want to swim with their number pinned on, that means you'll need to put on clothes in transition.  This can be done, but it will add time, and can be a pain.  If you plan on adding clothes (during a sprint/Oly) consider wearing a base layer like an Under Armor compression shirt to swim, and leaving it on for the whole race.  This will make putting on a 2nd shirt much easier, because it will be more slick than your skin, and you can put on another shirt easier.  (This is actually what I do.  I swim in tri shorts and UA compression tank, then in T1 just pull on a tech-shirt.  I do this because I'm still losing weight, and don't like biking/running without a loose shirt.  Sure it's not as aero on the bike, but I like being comfortable and not looking so gross.)  Also, quick tie laces are really quite helpful for your shoes.  There are many types from Lace-Locks to Xtenex, to Yankz, and a few others I'm sure.  They all have pros and cons, but will help your T-times get lower just by not needing to tie your shoes.  Also, once you have them set how you want, your shoes will always be the correct tightness for you.  The last thing to think about, is being sure that your sunglasses go on BEFORE the helmet.  That way, when you take your helmet off post bike, your glasses don't have to come off (or worse, fall off and get scratched) and thus, you save more time.

If you really want to see what quick transitions can do, look at previous year's race results, and see how fast the leaders were.  You may be surprised to see someone that finished high, but was a little slower on any of the 3 legs, but made up time with fast transitions.  BT's very own Marmadaddy got a podium spot on a sprint last year totally because of his T-times.  He was slower than someone in front of him, but shaved 30 seconds or so off in transitions.  In a sprint, when you're really trying, that can be a HUGE bit of time.

Anyhow, enjoy racing, training, and think about transitions.  Thery're easy places to make up time on faster people that don't practice them.

2011-04-21 10:20 AM

User image

Cincinnati

Yeah I definitely need to work on transitions.  I would love to be able to put my bike shoes on the bike and do a flying start or whatever.  Have to admit that I am a bit anxious about practicing, dont want to drop my bike 10 times.  Any tips on practicing that? 

The transitions were a bit longer than normal for me b/c last year I didnt do any clothing changes.  Just wore a one piece tri suit, but it was way too cold to do that so i added a fleece during T1 and kept it on for the run as well.  Dont wear socks, but i did add some arch supports to my running shoes this winter.  These gave me trouble in T2.  They kept moving around when I was trying to get my shoes on.  I plan on getting a new pair before the next race that dont require the added support. 
Thanks for the tips.  

2011-04-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3458637

User image

On your right

Ok, to expand on the trainsistions advice, I am linking to a blog.  This blog is written by another BT member, Experior (who also does mentor groups) and apart from being a really great resource with information, is fast, and very helpful.

He covers plenty of stuff in depth here, and has some videos and detailed explanations on all aspects of transitions.  If you find this info useful, please let him know with an 'inspire' or with a PM.

http://mdickson.net/tri_articles/transitions.html

2011-04-28 11:10 AM

Out on the bike today, 5.75 miles and realizing just how much more work I need to put into my cycling!!  Not too terrible, though, considering that the wind was making it hard to control the bike and stay out of traffic.  If I could just get a good allergy med that wouldn't leave me spacey or tired, it might help improve my rides and my running...

2011-04-28 2:55 PM

User image

On your right
You just need more time to perfect the snot-rocket.
2011-05-03 4:42 PM

Finally just bit the bullet and went out for a run today despite the rain that seems like it is never going to stop.  And managed to run 2 miles at a pace of 10:07.  Not the fastest mile time I have ever managed, but the fastest that I have been able to maintain for more than one mile.  It always feels good to see that type of improvement when you least expect it!

2011-05-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3480524

User image

On your right
Running in the rain is fun, as long as you can keep your glasses marginally clear.  Plus all the people that are driving think that you're one hardcore runner-person.
2011-05-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3481985

User image

On your right

Ok, how is everyone doing lately?  Weather should hopefully be getting nicer, and outdoor riding should be much more fun. 

Is swim progression happening still?  People that have been taking lessons, how have they been helping?  Have you learned anything that just made swimming "click"?

2011-05-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3484965

User image

Pittsburgh
Things are going well.  I am less than a week away from running the Pittsburgh Marathon.  My swimming and biking have suffered some over the last few weeks, but I intend on picking them back up after the race.  I want to swim a couple times this week to give the legs a little rest.
2011-05-10 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3489097

User image

On your right

Good luck with the marathon.  I'd give my legs a bit of a rest too leading up to a marathon.  One day I'll go for that, but I fear that it will just make me want to go longer.  50K, 50mile, 100mile, etc.  I already have the allure of Badwater bopping around in the back of my brain.

2011-05-12 10:35 AM

Made it out for a 10 mile bike ride today, definitely feeling a bit more confident about the duathlon in a couple of weeks.  Also really looking forward to getting a pair of bike shorts or tri shorts.  Just getting out a couple times in the last two or three weeks I'm noticing improvement.  My speed in increasing, even on the days I add distance.

Next goal- figure out the combination to my bike lock (or just gice up and buy a new one) and start riding to work!

2011-05-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3495506

User image

On your right
While bike shorts/tri shorts will be a big help in the comfort department, you can get away with wearing a compression short under some other shorts or yoga type pants for the short term.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19