BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-05-20 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3276373

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL
Nicely done wushnut! Thanks for the encouragement y'all got my race packet today so it's all set for tomorrow. Drove the course as well looks super flat and decent road condition. Will post as soon as I'm able, have a great weekend.Jeanie I'd say you should be fine for 10 miles

2011-05-21 10:06 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Will post a full race report later but just letting y'all know 1 hour 21 minutes was my time and I had a blast, gotta work on my run a bit more... Headed to the beach have a good weekend y'all!
2011-05-21 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3511208

Extreme Veteran

Tripopo - 2011-05-21 10:06 AM Will post a full race report later but just letting y'all know 1 hour 21 minutes was my time and I had a blast, gotta work on my run a bit more... Headed to the beach have a good weekend y'all!

Congrats! Looking forward to reading all about it!

2011-05-21 2:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Went on a long ride today. 40 miles.  It was hot and humid.  Started out pretty strong but faded really badly the last 10miles.  There were some sections I was barely going 10mph.  Still I was able to average about 18.45mph over the whole ride.
2011-05-22 8:46 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Here is the race report link figure it would be too large to put it in here, gotta work on that run time...  rank was 40 in swim, 52 on the bike and 121 on the run  haha.  Ended up 91 out of 155 males and around 8th in my age group I think, the results doesn't tell who was in the open/novice category

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=253224

2011-05-22 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Very nice Tripopo and gratz on completing it which I think is a great thing in itself!

I made it out for training finally after Pneumonia. Did 27.5 mile bike ride. It wasn't fast but some pretty tough hill climbs were involved and my lungs felt those for sure but overall I felt pretty good when it was all said and done. On tap, 4 mile run in the morning. Happy Training everyone and Congratz again Tripopo!!!

2011-05-22 3:23 PM

Extreme Veteran

Congrats Tripopo!

Just read your race report!  Looks like a strong effort!

2011-05-23 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa

Mary

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I was told to strenghen my VMO because I have a knee tracking issue. 

I did these stretches 2 times a day to strengthen my knee. Now I do them 3 times a week.

1. Single-leg squats (front): Stand on one leg (the bad one), with your other knee bent and held out in front of you. Bend the leg you’re standing on to do a partial squat, and come back up. Do about 10 reps, then switch positions.

2. Single-leg squats (side): Perform same motion as above, only with your good leg held out to the side. Do 10 reps.

3. Single-leg squats (back): Perform the same motion as above, only with your good leg held out behind you, knee bent. Do 10 reps.

I also do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYM3KWwrGY

2011-05-23 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3512094

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
Great job.  It was fun to read your race report.  Makes me excited to run my tri.
2011-05-23 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Well 4 mile run this morning did nothing but scream "HELLO LUNGS!" Wow yea still enough congestion to cause me to have such shallow breathing that I couldn't get enough oxygen therefore ran out of juice quick. Legs were fine and could have done 4 more miles, but just can't breath 100% yet. More cough syrup today Surprised yay! Happy training everyone! Oh and Tripopo I read your race report again, I'm still jealous, that just sounded awesome! Smile
2011-05-23 8:42 AM

Extreme Veteran

I'm still jealous of Tripopo's race report too.  Gives me motivation to HTFU and get to it.

huntnjerm - I'm jealous that you can run 4 miles on a half set of lungs.  Hope you get to 100% before your race!

3.5 mile run today.  Slowly whittling my min/mile time down.  Started running in February at about an 11min/mile.  Finished todays run at a 9.16 min/mile.  Progress. Progress.

Have my swim today.  Gonna try the 3x500 again that I didn't finish last week.

Edited by wushunut 2011-05-23 8:42 AM

2011-05-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3512094

Lexington OH
Tripopo - 2011-05-22 9:46 AM

Here is the race report link figure it would be too large to put it in here, gotta work on that run time...  rank was 40 in swim, 52 on the bike and 121 on the run  haha.  Ended up 91 out of 155 males and around 8th in my age group I think, the results doesn't tell who was in the open/novice category

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=253224

GREAT JOB!  Have my first 5k coming up this weekend (unplanned, but supporting a mission team from the church). 

2011-05-23 11:59 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana

Tripopo....congrats on a great race.....I can only hope to do half as well.

I did have a great training day Sunday......I essentially trained my sprint, just not all together. Got off work at 7am and hit the pool.....did my 750 straight thru again. Not getting easier, but at least I know I can complete the distance. Headed home to get the bike and got a 13 mile road ride in....pace kind of suffered because I took to the street as opposed to the bike path....more time waiting for and dodging traffic. Then gathered up my son and did a 2 mile run. Ran at a 9:52 pace....not my best, but I still want to take it easy on the legs. Will continue at 2 miles for this week then bump up to 2.5 next week and so on. All in all was mostly pain free.

2011-05-23 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3513879

User image

Regular
London, AR
Good news SFD156 on the pain free run! Good to hear and hopefully you can increase some mileage Wink
2011-05-23 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
On today's run I remembered how hard it is to train in the heat and humidity.  Is spring over and we have moved on to summer?
2011-05-24 7:42 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

JeannieW - I agree with you there, it has really got humid and quick. It definitely makes outdoor activity tough to endure.

Workout this morning, just P90X AB Ripper. Yoga on tap for tonight. Happy Training all!

2011-05-24 8:13 AM

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa

Do you stop your watch when running (or biking) and you come to a stop light? 

I just realized my watch can have auto pause that pauses when you stop.  That sort of seems like cheating to me, but  I am slightly obsesses with my pace.  Last night my pace was slow cause of all the minute stop lights in DC.  Might have to give it a try.  I used to stop my watch sometimes on bike and run, but often forgot to turn it back on, so I stopped doing that.

Where is everyone?  Not much chatter these days. Everyone must be out training which is where I should be.  Off to the pool I go.

2011-05-24 8:34 AM

Extreme Veteran

You all should train in Florida with me where it's been hot and humid for a few months now!

I do stop my stop watch at lights but I only have one light to deal with so I'm fine with that.  I usually get my bike workouts in on trails with very little stops too so it doesn't bother me too much.

Jeannie, have you tried riding in Rock Creek Park?  I grew up in Rockville, MD so I pretty familar with the area.  Rock Creek Park has a nice paved hike/bike trail that I used to ride on.  My buddies and I would start out in Lake Needwood up in Rockville and bike into DC.  It was 63miles round trip.  The Canal Trail in to Alexandria is decent as is the Capital Crescent Trail in Bethesda (though that can get crowded).  The Capital Crescent Trail drops you right under White Hearst Freeway in Georgetown.

2011-05-24 9:26 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
I don't want to hear any whining about hot, humid weatherTongue out.....I'm still training in long sleeves at times here.....we still had nights in the 40's last week! I need to move south!!!
2011-05-24 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
My iPhone Runmeter stops automatically if I stop movement for more then a few seconds and then my cycle computer stops as well if bike isn't moving. I had read in a runner's etiquette book one time about this very subject. They said something to the effect of sharks die if they stop moving but runners don't! So at a red light don't jog in place or move about, just stop and wait. It won't effect your training for those mere seconds of waiting on a light and it cause you to cool down too quickly. So I probably wouldn't worry if I forgot to stop my watch anyway. I think sometimes we as athletes analyze our training times too much and should focus more on the just completing it and feeling good about it Laughing Though even I have a hard time with that because progress is always exciting to see and of course makes us feel good about ourselves. Just my 2 cents worth
2011-05-25 8:04 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Well I hope everyone fairs better than I did this morning. Sheesh that was rough! The humidity was awful and I ran out of water which didn't help. Got close to overheating and actually had to slow to a fast walk at mile 4.5. Finished with 6 miles and boy am I happy that is over with! Not looking forward to the deep summer months at all Cool Happy training all!

2011-05-25 8:59 AM

Extreme Veteran

Had a 'meh' run but a pretty strong bike yesterday.

Not a scheduled run but I've decided that running more often (even short, easy runs) can only help me at this point.  It was hot and humid which made for a slow slogging run, even if it was only for 1.5 miles. Blech.

I kind of surprised myself after yesterday evening's ride.  This is the first time back on the bike since my 40miler this past weekend (you know, the one where I just about died at the end).  Did a 17mile route, started out saying I would go "moderate" and ended the ride pushing hard.  Passed quite  few riders out there and proud to say I average about close to 21mph over the 17mile ride.

Have a swim scheduled at lunch today and will probably do a run in the evening.

2011-05-25 9:30 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Nice pace Wushunut!
2011-05-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3515544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
wushunut - 2011-05-24 8:34 AM

You all should train in Florida with me where it's been hot and humid for a few months now!

Hi all -

Sorry that I have been MIA. I was on vacation in FL but did manage to get a little training in.  Wow was it hot and humid!  I ran for about 30 min on the beach and felt like I had been out there for hours. Of course the lack of training this year with a newborn at home probably didn't help either. Ok back to playing catch up on all of the posts. Hope that everyone is having a great week!

2011-05-25 11:13 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Folks....I'm still having trouble working up a bunch of sympathy for training in the heatCry......After work yesterday as I was getting ready for my ride I looked at the house thermometer.....46 degrees! This is one of the coldest, greyest, rainiest springs I can recall.....might as well go live with the weirdos in SeattleUndecided......I would LOVE some hot days to train in. Of course I'm sure someone will remind me of this post in August when I'm crying like a little girl about the heat....Yell
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29