BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-05-21 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3510877

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

JEFF -

Your race reflection is a gem, and I will give it the attention it deserves. There are some wonderful lessons in there for all of us. So, for the first time but not the last time I will say this - thank you for it!

2011-05-21 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3435045

New user

Louisville

Jeff:  Great debrief. I really appreciate your candor and introspection.  I can relate to many of your learnings and hope to learn from them.

Mandy:  Welcome to the team.  Tough swimming conditions but you seem disciplined and determined...two very good characteristics for all of us to immulate in our pursuit of Tri Nirvana!

Steve:  Great looking times on your race.  I look forward to your race report.

I finally got my bike back from the bike shop after getting fitted, adding areo bars and had to have a new stem added as well.  I took it out this morning for a 26 mile ride.  Not too bad, front end seems pretty comfortable.  Since this is a road bike with as many tri adjustments as possible, the seat appears to be a potential concern.  As the fitter describes it, my sit bones are what I should be focusing on.  In the upright position, the seat supports me fairly well but once I go into areo position,  my 'sit bones' aren't really supporting me and the pressure is on my perinium.  I didn't feel any real pain this morning and want to keep riding before doing anything else to get a better feel.  Additionally,  the fitter says I may need to go to a zero degree offset post to get as close as possible.  I am scheduled to ride a century on the 4th and 50 miles on the 5th.  My desire is to get as used to areo before and during as possible but don't want to add another variable in the mix prematurely.  Any thoughts?

I have a very old helmet and the felt pieces inside keep falling out. I need to get a real one.  I know there are cooler models and I know I don't need to step up to one of the nifty areo models just yet. Any recommendations?

Have a great Sunday!

2011-05-21 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3507007

User image

Champion

JK -

For the plan, follow it as is. I believe it's B2b you're looking at, and I think that's about Oct 30 this year. That's 5+ months to start thinking about distance versus time, but for now it's probably more appropriate to aim for "saddle time", as opposed to some assigned distance. A probelem with the latter is that many people view those as almost "time trial" efforts -- which is NOT a strategy that most of us can employ on an iron, or even a half-iron. I guess one can still do 2 hours as a time trial effort, but for me time is not as conducive as is distance for those.

FWIW, each of my two irons saw me do only two century rides, and I wondering now if those were assigned as 5- or 6-hour rides, as opposed to "do 100 miles". Gotta think about that for a while!

On to the calf!

First, no lunges while it's in crisis, and no calf lifts, either. A problem with calf issues is that they can morph into problems with plantatr fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis, and you sure don't want to go there! In fact, if you go to the www.tptherapy.com, you'll see that all of their modalities for dealing with plantar fasciitis (which is heel and arch) concern the calf. Now, they may mention golf balls and frozen water bottles as ancillary therapies, but their real bread-and-butter stuff, with their special tools, is geared to the calf.

I digressed there, but the message is to allow it time to heal, and strength work and heavy stretching will slow down that process. Those are great things to do eventually, when it is fully pain-free, but don't subject it to any rough stuff until then!

About a week ago I posted to Jeff about some other calf thoughts; maybe it was even earleir this week? It can't be much more than four pages back, so see if you can track it down. I also mention my own calf problem from a few years ago, along with a timeline as to my recovery. And speaking of which , you did the right thing in given it that initial break.

Finally, I stretch only rarely after a run. Never before. In fact, about the only thing I DO stretch for is tha calves, and that's only when
they've developed some soreness during the run.

Finally-finally, you might benefit from a pair of those geeky calf compression guards. I'm not saying you should be running in them, but they are good for recovery, and you can wear them under your professional clothes, or even during the night. I have three pairs (don't ask....) -- 2XU, Zensah, DeSoto -- and when the clves get ache-y they get outfitted in calf guards. I like them in the reverse order I wrote them, and have only had the ones that stop above the ankles. I also have never run in them, although many, many, amny poeple do, and swear it eliminates problems during the run. I can believe it....but just done't want to mess with my tan line down there!

2011-05-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3509196

User image

Champion

JK again -

I see that Canon mentioned Accelerade and Endurox, and the keys to both of those is protein. Accelerade is about the only "energy drink" that has protein, and it is formuated on a 4:1 carb/protein ratio (their gel, AccelGel, has the same ratio). They say they have the science to support this, and I tend to agree with it for longer stuff when the potential for the body to cannibalize itself is greater.

That said, if one like its taste and if it agrees with them, they can use it whenever. The protein won't hurt, and will at least serve to start stockpiling the protein that the muscles can use post-workout.

And that's where Endurox comes in, as a specially-formulated recovery drink (in powder from) with higher levels of protein and added amino acids. Most endurance nutrition companies have a similar product, such as Recoverite, from Hammer, and Interphase, from Carb-Pro. I think these are great products and I fully support adding protein within an hour of completing a workout, but they can be pricey. If you can find a chocolate milk with decent protein in its profile, then that will work as well as a vat of any of the above, which come at a pretty steep price.

2011-05-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3511816

User image

Champion

TRINA -

A bully is a coward with a plan, and you faced a car full of them. Why exactly they did this, I do not know, and how far they might have gone to keep pestering you is anybody's guess. I'm sure they wanted to see you respond in full, and it's probably really good that you didn't. In fact, it sounds like you did everything really wisely, and managed to keep your options several steps ahead of them. Thet say that desperate times call for desperate measures, and while pepper spray might fit that bill, your visible response doesn't seem to suggest desperation. You did really well with that awful ordeal, and it's atribute to your level-headedness that nothing worse happened.

Did you get a licence number, perchance?

2011-05-21 9:31 PM

User image

Champion

LISA -

My physio on Wednesday seemed to be positive, but the hip/groin thing has deteriorated since then. Ack! It was not too good today at the du, and I wish i had another session scheduled before next Wednesday. He "cranked" on it alot, and I hope he subjects me to more punishment in four days!

2011-05-21 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3511699

User image

Champion

MICHAEL -

For me, the perinium problems will be in the form of numbness, and usually a short stint of out-of-the-saddle will restore full circulation -- which might not be a problem again that ride. And I can never predict when it will be a problem; it is when it is, is all.

Being way out on the saddle is an acquired taste, and I tend to migrate there late in olys when I'm feeling especially aggressive. I get the impression it's my optimal "power" position, but for comfort's sake I cannot sustain it forever.

As for getting used to aero before those rides, well, every bit will help. You don't want to think about doing too much of those rides in aero, though, unless you find it is the perfect spot for you. Most people need quite some tiem to get used to maintaining that position, and once it's comfortable it is just really sweet. But view those rides on the 4th and 5th as part of the ease-in process, and juts go in and out of them as comfort allows.

I've used Rudy Project helmets for years, although there are lots of players in the helmet market who make good lids. As for a pointy aero helmet, wait on that. To work optimally they need to be on a person who (a) has a great riding position, and (b) can keep their head in the optimal place so that the pointy tip isn't sticking up and creating more dag than it's saving. And seeing as how you're just getting used to being aero, you likely won't benefit yet from anaero helmet.

FWIW, I got my first one only last August. I had finally strung together enough fast race-rides to feel i was "worthy", so I'm now an official helmet geek. Ta-da!

2011-05-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3511589

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Welcome Mandy.  I look forward to reading about your ramp up to the Quassy HIM and IM Lake Placid.

manfarr1974 - 2011-05-21 6:22 PM

Hi there everyone, Steve invited me to join the group and I am super excited to be part.  Here is a little introduction.

PS - Steve Bradley is the BEST MENTOR EVER.  Just had to get that out there.

NAME: Mandy Farrar/manfarr1974

STORY: I am heading into my 3rd year of triathlon.  I started triathlon after 3 years of running marathons (I have done 5 to date).  I was kind of burned out on running and decided to try a sprint triathlon.  I didn't train at all, I almost drowned on the swim, but I loved it.  That year I did a few more sprints (that I trained for) and ended the year with an Oly distance.  Last year I did my first Half Ironman, along with a marathon and a bunch of sprint distance and one Oly distance Tri.

This year I am doing my first Ironman - Ironman Lake Placid - on July 24th.  I have a HIM (Quassy) in a few weeks.  I haven't really planned anything post IM, but have my eye on Pumpkinman HIM in Sept and maybe a fall marathon.  

I really like longer distance events, but I am not speedy. I call myself a back of middle of packer for the most part.  Sometimes I am in the middle of the middle pack, and on a good day when the fast people don't show up, I am in the front of the middle of the pack. 

FAMILY: I live in a small town in Maine called Caratunk (population 60).  I love where I live, in the summer, it is the epicenter of whitewater rafting in Maine, in the winter, it is very quiet and snowy.  I live there with my man John & some transient raft guide friends who pass through town. We very much miss our 10 year old Bernese Mountain Dog, Bailey, who we had to say goodbye to this week.  I mention this because he is & always will be part of our family.   We miss him so much.

CURRENT TRAINING: Ironman Lake Placid BABY!! That is my A+++ race this year.  I am going to scout it out in June.  On June 6 I am doing Rev3 Quassy Half, it should be a good test of where my fitness is.  I live 75 minutes from the closest pool and have made the drive weekly all winter to try to improve.  In the summer, I have a lot of lakes I can swim in, but right now the water is 47 degrees.  BRR  SO I make the drive. Hopefully the sun will come out and I will get into the open water before my first triathlon. Undecided

WEIGHTLOSS: This winter I have dropped about 15lbs. I would like to get down about 5 more to really be at ideal race weight, but am not as committed to it as I probably should be. I like ice cream, pizza, and beer. 

SO that is me in a nutshell.  Um, I am short and spunky too.

Mandy

2011-05-22 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3512150

User image

Champion

MANDY -

You made it! Finally!

I will respond to your PM very soon, to be sure.

2011-05-22 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3511464

User image

Champion

JEFF -

I'm crafting a big response to yours at the top of this page, but first I am following a brainwave. Stay tuned!

2011-05-22 6:33 PM

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

How much of a voyeur are you? I'm not much of one --- until it comes to race results, that is. So, when you mentioned your swim times last year versus last week, that juts didn't seem kosher to me. I mean, there are lots of reasons why one's swim times can change from one year to the next, but fairly large changes usually hit me right between the eyes with MIS-MEASURED.

So, I went to the results of both years, and picked through several male age groups to find peole who had done FIT both years, and came up with a sample of 21 who met those lofty standards. And as you maybe already know --- swim times this year were much slower than last year. This ranged from 1:24 to 14:29, and three guys were in double-digit deficits. YOU WERE NOT ALONE! None of the double-dippers did better this year than last....and I wonder how far I would've had to search to find someone who accomplished that feat.

Swim courses are notoriously poorly measured. I guess soemtimes it's drifting buoys, and certainly there is an absence of otherwise stable features, but in this day and age of cross-referenced global and satellite tracking systems, I usually expect more accuracy.

My HIM last season was in a spot where races have been held by this same organization for years, with several rraces a year in the same spot. I expected something as close to accurate as could be.....and ended up with a course that was measured SHORT, to the tune of 3-6 minutes. I was swimming petty well that day and at that stage in the season, but there's no way I can swim 1.2 miles in 34 minutes, I think it was. Silliness all around!

Back to you, though, your time drop was right around the middle of the 21 drops I saw. That is maybe just cold comfort for you, but it should mean that you can stop beating up on yourself just a little bit sooner than you'd figured on!

2011-05-22 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3512663

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Your not a voyeur.  You are just very methodical and analytical with your approach to triathlon.  What you said gives even more credence to one of my points about setting PR's.  Sometimes the conditions (weather, course length, etc.) are such that it's just not possible to PR despite the status of your fitness. 

In my particular case for FIT the surf was much rougher which accounted for some of the time loss.  I also made some strategic errors (staying right of the pack) which hurt me.  Finally I have to be totally honest with myself about the condition of my swim fitness.  It wasn't what it was a year ago and I knew that going into the race.  However, my bike fitness and run fitness (before the calf injury) were much stronger. 

So, thanks for digging up that data about the race.  Very interesting stuff and it means that my results year to year were not alone.

BTW:  When the course length measurements favors me I don't say anything!!  Actually I did the FIT bike course in 1:13:36.  They say it was 26 miles so that means I was doing 21.2mph.  My Garmin says it was 25.32 miles so that comes to 20.6mph.  So you know that means my Garmin wasn't measuring properly that day!!  At least that's the story I'm going with. 

stevebradley - 2011-05-22 7:33 PM JEFF again - How much of a voyeur are you? I'm not much of one --- until it comes to race results, that is. So, when you mentioned your swim times last year versus last week, that juts didn't seem kosher to me. I mean, there are lots of reasons why one's swim times can change from one year to the next, but fairly large changes usually hit me right between the eyes with MIS-MEASURED. So, I went to the results of both years, and picked through several male age groups to find peole who had done FIT both years, and came up with a sample of 21 who met those lofty standards. And as you maybe already know --- swim times this year were much slower than last year. This ranged from 1:24 to 14:29, and three guys were in double-digit deficits. YOU WERE NOT ALONE! None of the double-dippers did better this year than last....and I wonder how far I would've had to search to find someone who accomplished that feat. Swim courses are notoriously poorly measured. I guess soemtimes it's drifting buoys, and certainly there is an absence of otherwise stable features, but in this day and age of cross-referenced global and satellite tracking systems, I usually expect more accuracy. My HIM last season was in a spot where races have been held by this same organization for years, with several rraces a year in the same spot. I expected something as close to accurate as could be.....and ended up with a course that was measured SHORT, to the tune of 3-6 minutes. I was swimming petty well that day and at that stage in the season, but there's no way I can swim 1.2 miles in 34 minutes, I think it was. Silliness all around! Back to you, though, your time drop was right around the middle of the 21 drops I saw. That is maybe just cold comfort for you, but it should mean that you can stop beating up on yourself just a little bit sooner than you'd figured on!

2011-05-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3512646

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

stevebradley - 2011-05-22 7:16 PM MANDY - You made it! Finally! I will respond to your PM very soon, to be sure.

I told you guys I was slow in my intro!

2011-05-22 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Someone once told me to wrap my Forerunner 305 in two plastic sandwich bags and stick it under my swim cap if I wanted to measure my swim distance/time accurately.
2011-05-23 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3512935

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

kickitinok - 2011-05-22 10:52 PM Someone once told me to wrap my Forerunner 305 in two plastic sandwich bags and stick it under my swim cap if I wanted to measure my swim distance/time accurately.

That works.  Have you checked out DC Rainmaker's Blog?  He has done very in-depth product reviews on all the Garmin watches, and talks about how to use them to track your swim distance.  I haven't tried it yet as the water is still too cold for me (I heard 46 degrees, not 50.  I guess I was rounding up) but will try it with my 310XT.  

Mandy

2011-05-23 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
"Albert Lea Triathlon Coverage - Lots of folks avoided this year's race, assuming that Fountain Lake would be too goshdarn cold. The 100-or-so who did accept the challenge were greeted by semi-balmy 65-degree water and no one complained. Some, but not many, even eschewed their wetsuits.

It's not that there wasn't other stuff to complain about, though. Like fierce winds and occasional rain. Acts of God stuff; not bad race management stuff. Stuff that triathletes accept as part of the deal. Thus, complaints were few and half-hearted."

I finished 87/94 - I knew I'd be really, really back-of-the-pack with such a small field.  But got 1st place age group award again - haha - my record holds.

Denise

2011-05-23 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hi Mandy

2011-05-23 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Steve,

Thanks for your insights and I am now in the market for compression guards.  You and Canon mention post work out nutrition which I have ignored since my lifting days  so thanks for the reminder and I will get that back into my routine especially on my long workouts.  I was a fan of Whey protein and nonfat milk for post work-outs which equated to about 200 cals/36 grams protein/15 grams carbs.  Comparing this to Hammer Recoverite which is 170 cals/31g carbs and 10 grams protein I was surprised to see the variance between carbs and protein between the two drinks.  I assume the emphasis should still be on protein for post workout drinks vice carbs. 

Interesting website you referenced which I am still going through. I was a bit surprised that you do not adhere to a traditional stretching routine post workout.  I was planning to get a regular (every 2 weeks) sports massage until everything calms down and I can get back to keeping up wih my running plan on a regular basis.  Hopefully that will help since this is almost a repeat of last year when I had a calf issue in the last part of the year (same leg) and then I took 3 weeks off but of course I then tried to make up for loss time and started incorporating speed work 2x/week. As you probably guessed, other problems erupted in the form of a shin splint in the other leg which I continued to run on for a week and even attempted an 8k local race.  That is when I found myself in a soft boot and on crutches for a month with no running for the next 3.  So after that saga, I really do not mind making a fashion statement with compression guards  and I will to stick to the plan.

JK

2011-05-23 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3514971

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Glad you survived and did not freeze. RDs never get the breaks in the terms of criticisms, whereas Acts of God are accorded full respect. Huh.

Was Mark there this year, or did the forecast keep him down in Iowa?

Any specific details (asks he who is now two race reports behind!)?

2011-05-23 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3515086

User image

Champion

JK -

The absence of stretching might be one of the weaknesses in my game......but I dod it so seldom it is now hard to tell how I would perform if I did it regularly!

I have been doing Yoga intensively for about two months -- like, over 50 classes, each ~90 minutes long (recent Tuesdays I have done three classes!!!). We'll see if this helps any, but thats;' aside from the fact that I am working (?) my way through a tricky groin injury that seems nerve-based, and which also affects the hip and inner knee at times. So, any Yoga-stretch results will be kinda skewed, at least for a while!

I have in front of me a few recovery products:
Recoverite -- 49g of powder has 32g carbs and 10g protein
Interphase -- 50g powder has 10g carbs and 34g protein
Hammer Whey -- 52g has 40mg carbs and 36g protein
Hammer Soy -- 57g has 60mg carbs and 50g protein

As I think I said in the other post, Interphase is my go-to one nowadays -- partly for the higher protein, partly for taste. And I will say that I definitely prefer Interphase when the work has been long and/or hard, and I want maximum protein (well, within limits). For more run-of-the-mill work, I am content with Recoverite. I understand the need for carbohydrates, but in general I do better with those than with protein, especially when I use gels and drinks quite well on workouts.

I guess you know that a high-quality whey product will work best if taken just before bed, as that's the time when HGH can best be assimilated in the system. Have you heard the same?

2011-05-24 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3514914

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
LadyNorth - 2011-05-23 9:45 PM

Hi Mandy

Hi Denise!

2011-05-24 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Mark was registered but didn't show up. (Good memory, Steve)

2011-05-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3514909

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

So the steak continues.  Congrat's Denise.

LadyNorth - 2011-05-23 9:45 PM

But got 1st place age group award again - haha - my record holds.

Denise

2011-05-24 2:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Haha Right.  But I know it won't last the season.  There's a speedy 59 yo who moved up to the 60+ this year who'll beat me for sure in August (if I don't get beat before that).

Denise

2011-05-24 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hi Everyone-

Had a nice 24 mile ride followed by a 3 mile run today.  Finally picking up some speed again after last years calf injury.  Avg bike speed was 17.8 (there is a significant 2 mile climb on this ride) and my run was 8:40 average pace.  Getting back to where I was pre-injury, but it sure was a long time coming.

Tomorrow I head to eastern Maine for work, so I have a quick 1hr ride followed by a 2 mile run in the AM. Doing some bricks to kind of get ready for the race.  I do at least 1 brick a week right now.

AND - on Monday I am braving the cold water.  I might not last long, but I have a friend to safety boat to keep an eye on me.  I want to get into open water at least once before my race. 

Have a great night all,

Mandy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57