General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-06-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3589984

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

Time to kick it in gear.  July 1 was my official IM training start date but we really started last night.   Since Florida 70.3 then a sprint 2 weeks later, I have been traveling a lot which kills my trianing.  I did run most days while on the road but only swam twice in June, until last night. I did get a few bike rides in but not much.  I still worked out 5 days a week but not close the the intensity of IM training.

But, I needed the break.  I can't train hard year round.  I needed to be able to go out with my wife on a Sat afternoon, sleep in on Sunday, etc.  I also painted the house one weekend (most of it).  So I not only use the time to rest a bit but also to get stuff that that was neglected.   

But, it's now official.  We'll start slowly ramping up.   Time to get back to the weekly trainer rides (haven't been on in over a month), and the TT rides.  Ugh!  It hurts just thinking about it.

Have fun everyone, that's why we're doing this

Duane

2012-06-28 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4284517

User image

15step - 2012-06-28 9:07 AM To those with long rides/runs this weekend please be careful. Were hitting triple digits this weekend here in Atlanta and I am sure a lot of others training for Florida are going through the same thing. Hydrate, slow down a bit and start early. Be smart and don't let this race be derailed by some poor planning and carelessness.

Good call Daniel - Gonna be hitting the Silver Comet even earlier to avoid the heat!  We can sleep in December right?

2012-06-28 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4285386

Veteran
Vicksburg
pjcycles63 - 2012-06-28 2:41 PM

15step - 2012-06-28 9:07 AM To those with long rides/runs this weekend please be careful. Were hitting triple digits this weekend here in Atlanta and I am sure a lot of others training for Florida are going through the same thing. Hydrate, slow down a bit and start early. Be smart and don't let this race be derailed by some poor planning and carelessness.

Good call Daniel - Gonna be hitting the Silver Comet even earlier to avoid the heat!  We can sleep in December right?

Do you know of anyone who has ridden the Silver Comet the whole way to Addison, AL and back in one day?  We are thinking about bringing a group over and making a run at it.

2012-06-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4285640

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
peewee - 2012-06-28 5:26 PM

Do you know of anyone who has ridden the Silver Comet the whole way to Addison, AL and back in one day?  We are thinking about bringing a group over and making a run at it.

The furthest I made it is Rockmart, almost 80 miles round trip at 4 hours. Going all the way to Addison might require an overnight bag!
2012-06-29 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
peewee - 2012-06-28 5:26 PM

i've gone to the AL line and back once for my longest ride leading up to my first IM.  my favorite part of the coment is from rockmart to cedarton.  past rockmart the terrain completely changes and you really are out there by yourself. i've gone to cedarton or just short of a dozen or so times.  probably half of them i never saw another biker.  there's a nasty little climb by the landfill and it does nothing for you on the way back because it got a sharp turn in the middle of the hill and a stop sign at the bottom.

around cedartown you ride on sidewalks and the trail is poorly marked in some places.  also watch out for broken bottles and debris while going through town. 

bring a camera if you don't have one on your phone.  some good photo ops at the top of some of those hills. (yeah yeah.. i know we're supposed to be training not snapping pics but whatever

i haven't ridden out there in the fall yet, but i bet its pretty cool that time of year. post here or over in the GA forum when you're going and if you mind anyone tagging along. 

2012-06-29 9:52 AM

User image

When are you planning on going?  I'm planning on wheels down from the trail head (Nickajack Elementary) at about 7:00 am for about 70 miles.  If you're heading out about then, I always welcome some company. 

2012-06-29 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4286543

Veteran
Vicksburg

cfib - 2012-06-29 9:52 AM When are you planning on going?  I'm planning on wheels down from the trail head (Nickajack Elementary) at about 7:00 am for about 70 miles.  If you're heading out about then, I always welcome some company. 

We are from Mississippi but I have a friend that lives in Atlanta and racing IMFL with me this year so we are tossing the idea around and haven't confirmed anything yet.

2012-06-30 9:05 PM

Extreme Veteran

About to pull the trigger on Shores of Panama through bookthatcondo.com. Have read reviews about additional cleaning fees (although i show fees already listed in the price).. curious what others experiences were? Want to get this booked this weekend. Also, anyone have issues with the elevators being slow? Will affect what floor i stay on..

Thanks!

2012-07-01 6:01 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
I stayed at shores of panama for last years race and had no problems at all. Nice for the kids to go to the beach and a short walk to expo and start line. I would stay there again.
2012-07-01 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4238212

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
LSUfan4444 - 2012-05-31 8:12 PM

S:  14550.00 Yd
B:  324.47 M
R:  65.28 Mi
Str:  1h 05m

May totals -Starting to pick up now.

And here are my June totals:

S:  18950.00 Yd - 30% increase in swim yards
B:  399.64 Mi - 23% increase on bike mileage
R:  79.99 Mi - 15% increase on running mileage

July will be another month of endurance capacity training, then August and September I focus more on endurance development and strength on the miles I have been adding to my base.

2012-07-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4288904

User image

Expert

Miker1818 - 2012-07-01 6:01 AM I stayed at shores of panama for last years race and had no problems at all. Nice for the kids to go to the beach and a short walk to expo and start line. I would stay there again.

x2 and I am booked there again this year.  It is close enough but also far enough away to be out of the action.  Cleaning is included in my rate.

enjoy,

Duane

2012-07-01 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I'll be volunteering this year and registering for 2013 the day after the race. I look forward to coming out and supporting all of you racing this year.
2012-07-03 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Speaking from the perspective of someone who volunteered to get their spot for 2012, I can honestly say it is an enjoyable experience.

If you want the best (in my opinion) volunteer job, try and get a position in the 2013 registration tent (the day after the race). I lucked into doing that assignment, and you get to skip the LONG line that builds in signing up for the following year, and instead of waiting in line for the registration, you are doing your volunteer assignment in the registration tent and already have signed up (talk about killing two birds with one stone). This also allowed me to hang out around the race site, and really get some mental images (and actual photographs) to reflect upon later in the training year to keep yourself accountable, and on track as to what you are training for.

Also, thanks in advance for volunteering. It is definitely a great way to pay-it-forward...

2012-07-03 9:43 AM

User image

I'm staying at Legends Edge Mariott which is about 7 miles from the start (mapquest says 15 min or so). It's a free place to stay so I couldn't turn it down just to get closer. But I do want to make sure there are no issues with being a little further out that anyone knows of. This will be my first time in PCB so I'm not familiar w/ the area at all.

2012-07-03 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
So I did my first "long" run yesterday for the build up to November: 15 miles in about 2:20. Not too fast (for my goal race time at least) but I am blaming the heat on my slower pace.

I am hoping that by the time November rolls around I will be able to run a bit faster if the weather cools down some.
2012-07-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4292350

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
DCT76 - 2012-07-03 9:43 AM

I'm staying at Legends Edge Mariott which is about 7 miles from the start (mapquest says 15 min or so). It's a free place to stay so I couldn't turn it down just to get closer. But I do want to make sure there are no issues with being a little further out that anyone knows of. This will be my first time in PCB so I'm not familiar w/ the area at all.

You should be fine except for the inconvenience of not being within walking distance. Considering you have to travel to the race site on Wed/Thurs for registration, Thur night for the dinner (if you deice to attend), Fri for bike drop off, early Sat for the race, and back on Sun if you want finisher's gear, it can be a lot of time driving and trying to find parking.

If you have spectators staying with you it might be a little hectic for them trying to get back and forth from hotel to race site on race day, but they should be able to park at the Wal-Mart and take the shuttle.

2012-07-05 6:57 PM

User image

Regular

Since IMFL will be my ‘A’ race this year, I’m treating myself to renting some race wheels.  It looks like TBT race wheels will be on site and convenient and only offers Zipp wheels.  If you guys could pick any Zipp wheel combo for this race, which one would it be?  I’m leaning toward a sub-9 disc and 808 combo but would like to hear what some of you that have more experience with carbon wheels and this race would choose. 

2012-07-06 5:13 AM
in reply to: #4296332

Veteran
Vicksburg
atlTri4Food - 2012-07-05 6:57 PM

Since IMFL will be my ‘A’ race this year, I’m treating myself to renting some race wheels.  It looks like TBT race wheels will be on site and convenient and only offers Zipp wheels.  If you guys could pick any Zipp wheel combo for this race, which one would it be?  I’m leaning toward a sub-9 disc and 808 combo but would like to hear what some of you that have more experience with carbon wheels and this race would choose. 

That is what I would choose.
2012-07-06 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4292350

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
DCT76 - 2012-07-03 9:43 AM

I stayed about 4 miles away in 2010 and loved it.  The place I stayed was totally empty so I have the hot tub all to myself, no hoopla of athletes in their compression, etc.

There was alot of construction so parking for packet pick up was bit of a hassle, but that has been quite improved since then.  After the race, you will likely have to walk to or near Wal Mart to your car, but it isn't all that bad.  You just did 140.6, whats about .75??

2012-07-06 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

Have you ridden deep dish wheels before?  Do you have a vertical aero bottle catching wind as well?  Are you 200 or 145 lbs?

The set up you mentioned is fast, but not if it is too much for you.  I ride a 80mm front and a disc back, but I wouldn't show up on race day, on a course that is famous for winds and ride that set up if I have no experience on them.

2012-07-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4297027

User image

Regular
Good advice.  I am 6ft...184 lbs.  I also have an aero drink bottle mounted.  Never rode any race wheels let alone a disc before.  I have concerns about my lack of experience riding a disc and the winds on the course.  However, I would put my bike handling skills at above average.  I may try to borrow a disc from a friend and see how I feel on it before race day.

2012-07-06 11:28 AM

User image

Since you are renting you have the benefit of waiting until right before the race to decide. I would check the weather a few days out and see what the winds will be doing. If the winds are steady then an 808 would be fine, gusty and you may want to go with a 404.
2012-07-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4297058

User image

Veteran
Mandeville

atlTri4Food - 2012-07-06 9:46 AM Good advice.  I am 6ft...184 lbs.  I also have an aero drink bottle mounted.  Never rode any race wheels let alone a disc before.  I have concerns about my lack of experience riding a disc and the winds on the course.  However, I would put my bike handling skills at above average.  I may try to borrow a disc from a friend and see how I feel on it before race day.

I definitely think you can handle it, the issue might only come in with how it effects your ride. Hell, I'm 5'7", 150lbs and I rade a disc, but I am used to it and know how my wheels feel and react to gusts, headwinds, etc.

Using extra strength, clinching fists, feeling like you can't stay aero etc. all will cancel out the effect you might get from having the wheels in the first place.  I have to be vague, but the proper answer is ride the deepest wheels you can ride without affecting your handling in a big way, but on;y you from experience can really answer that.  A vertcal aero bottle will catch alot of additional wind, so ditchig that for a horiztonal (torpedo type) set up would help some, but if you have access to some wheels to try, I recommend it.

The rear wheels isn't really the concern because you have so much weight back there, most of the issues come in the front where you have less weight on the bike.

All in all, I think the set up you are inquiring about should be fine, but I would at least try and arrive early and take them for a spin because if you can't ride them comfortable for 15 miles three days before the race, you might have some issues with 112 on race day.

2012-07-06 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4297806

"A vertcal aero bottle will catch alot of additional wind, so ditchig that for a horiztonal (torpedo type) set up would help some, but if you have access to some wheels to try, I recommend it."

That is right about the bottles, but you can't ruin your race by being 1 sec faster or slower per km, but definitively you can ruin it by not fueling properly. IMO, I prefer a vertical aero bottle with the straw right in your mouth all the time, than getting the bottle every time you want to drink 

2012-07-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4298476

User image

Veteran
Mandeville
imiranda - 2012-07-06 8:49 PM

"A vertcal aero bottle will catch alot of additional wind, so ditchig that for a horiztonal (torpedo type) set up would help some, but if you have access to some wheels to try, I recommend it."

That is right about the bottles, but you can't ruin your race by being 1 sec faster or slower per km, but definitively you can ruin it by not fueling properly. IMO, I prefer a vertical aero bottle with the straw right in your mouth all the time, than getting the bottle every time you want to drink 

Everything is a trade off when it comes to chosing your hydration and ultimately each person needs to decide based on a balance of comfort and speed.  What tests fastest in the wind tunnel, might not be faster for everyone.  For me, I like the horizontal bottle because I don't have to sit up and pour anything into another bottle.  Simply ditch my bottle before the aid station and replace with on course supplies.  No worries about any splashing on me and when I drink I can keep my eyes on the roadm not down near my stem.

But, my recommendation was more for someone who wants to ride a deep dish aero wheel.  If the deep dish aero wheel and the profile design/torhans set up is too much to handle on the front end, you might be able to handle the wheel by going to a different front end hydration set up.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 64