BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-04-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

I actually have had issues with AT.  Sure the doctor told you all of this but I will tell you what I did anyhow.

Stopped running for a couple of weeks.

Iced it much for the 2 weeks, never did use heat.

Aleve daily.

I have aprescriotion for Celebrex for an earlier tendonitis issue, so started taking that for a few days. 

I did swim a little and also continued to bike on the trainer.

If you miss the 2 - 3 weeks before the marathon, trust me, it really isn't going to hurt  you that much, enjoy the rest!  Of course, cut back on the eating or the extra 10 pounds will hurt you!!

2012-04-12 8:27 PM

User image

Expert

Don't even ask about all the empty white space in my previous post.Undecided

First long outdoor ride today, 60 miles, felt really good, except when I crashed!

Riding with my son n law, came to a road crossing, he was going when an old lady shot out into the intersection.  He couldn't get unclipped quick enough and fell,  then the domino effect kicked in and he took out Carmen and I.  No injuries, only minor cosmetic damage to Carmen.

2012-04-13 11:13 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Thanks, EC Bill.  I'll have to cut down on the calorie intake a bit.  I did a big swim and bike workout Wednesday, and it didn't aggravate it, so I'll keep hitting that. 

The Doc and PT were great.  They are both running the marathon as well, and reassured me that they'll get me to the start line.  I've a whole list of stretching and strengthening exercises to work on.  The hardest part is just not running - I miss it.

2012-04-13 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like you found a great doctor and PT.  It really helps when you find ones that does the same activities as you do and they understand what you are going thru.  

Taking the time off is extremely hard but just remind yourself if you don't the time off will be longer.  Trust me, I know all about oh it feels better so I am going to give it a try.  That was not the case, so listen to the doctor and take the time off.

Take the time to do the things you couldn't because you were training.  Smile

Enjoy the weekend of training!

Kathy

2012-04-13 8:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Irishod - take the time. The hay is in the barn. In other words, the training is done. Don't worry about getting all freaked out -that's called a taper. Have a GREAT 26.2. The rest will do you wonders. Be careful durin this three weeks.
2012-04-13 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4149758

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Thanks for the good thoughts and advice all.  I will take the time off and use it to work on my swimming stroke.  I've got a good Doc and PT, and they'll get me to the race.  The worst thing for me would be to lose an extended period of time, (I'd be a depressive wreck) so I'll take it easy. 

In the meantime good luck to all that will be racing this weekend and next.  I'll live vicariously through your race reports, so keep 'em coming. 

2012-04-14 6:16 PM

User image

Expert

Well, since no one else on our page seems to post anymore, I will.  Ran another race today, 15k.  First time in my life that I finished dead last!  Oh wait, I bet I have a good excuse, no wait a really good excuse!.  I pushed my grandson from can to can't for the entire 15K and enjoyed every single step of it.  How many people can say they are in good enough condition to push their grandson in a stroller for 15K?

Race was the Moving for Missions 6k, 10k, 15k, in Petal Ms.  As luck would have it, the race was raising money for the Belize Mission I am involved in.  How cool is that?

If you are a mother and or know a mother that has to train with a kid in a stroller, you are a beast.  That was the hardest 15k of my life.  Hard to push up the hills and hard to keep up with down the hills.

Grandpa Billy

2012-04-14 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go Billy! I agree about the stroller thing!

Rode for 2 1/2 hours this morning and I was in my aero bars for about half the time, I am slowly getting used to those things. Completed my first real brick, the run was not as bad as I thought it would be, but then again it was only for 15 minutes.

2012-04-14 9:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kathy - great job.

Billy ===> whining? You???? HTFU.
2012-04-16 8:52 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Way to go Billy.. that is way cool and you Rock... Heal up Iris... and howdy to all..

Long time no post due to travel/work/remodeling/blah blah blah...

Still been working on training... have let swim slip a bit as i have been trying to up my bike and run times/distances.  Could feel the lack of pool time in my form, but was still able to swim 1:40 for 300/500/800 splits, so hopefully general endurance is carrying across. (Don't know what will REALLY happen until first race, but have 2:00/100's as goal so feel good here so far)

Have pretty much abandoned my Couch to Sprint plan except for trying to meet the daily workouts.  Missing some daily workouts, but increasing in most regards in prep for the "maybe" races/distances later this year.

Road my first 50 mile bike ever yesterday.... wow... did i/do i feel that!!  Props out to all you studs that have done or do this regularly...makes me realize just how far you have to go in training to be able to put those longer distances together... HIM/IM... Ugh!!.... time to question ultimate goals!@! LOL

Did  put some aero bars and a 78* seat post on Demi to change geometry a bit... wow... huge difference... in comfort and in economy it seemed... Don't think i could have made the ride without the ability to spend a lot of time down... Not to mention getting my body out of that wind (according to readouts... practically picked up 1mph just going from up to down against wind with same effort... Does this seem reasonable?)

Great Job everyone on the Finish Lines...Promise I will add some in the near future..

Monte

2012-04-16 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
I spent the weekend with 15 military veterans as they learned all about the sport of triathlon.  Some came to the tri camp with triathlon experience, but some were brand new.  It was awesome to watch them go from getting fitted on their bike Thursday and learning how to get clipped in and out, to watching them ride in a 2 person pace line on the shoulder of the road on Saturday.  BIG gains over the weekend.  Very inspirational.  Also got to learn some good tips on how to improve my swim from one of the pros who was at the camp.  Really enjoyed it.  

2012-04-16 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4153275

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Billy - Sorry to hear Carmin was 'sniff' I can't even say the word.  Is this your first scratch together. Oh I went and said it.   oooooh no.  Cry

2012-04-16 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4153674

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens

Billy - I'm half serious - While changing wheels I placed Rinny on the floor, wheels up and saddle down.  I found my first scratches.  There it was., boo, two small chips in the paint on the lawyer tabs on the ends of the forks.  It's not that I have never crashed.  I have three times, but I've always managed to sacrifice my body and save the shiny parts.  Skin grows back, Paint scratches are forever and Chicks dig scars.  You heard that on BT so it must be true. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend of training, racing and getting the job done.

2012-04-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4151097

Uxbridge

Billy I think Bryan needs to push a kid or two for even 10K!!!!!

Glad Carmen is Ok and of course you too Billy!!!!

Brianna...the tri camp experience sounds great. 30 weeks begins next week!IMAZ awaits us. I just secured a condo rental overlooking Tempe Lake 2 blocks from transition SO PSYCHED!!!! Bryan...Al and you can have a drink or two in between bike loops

Today I ran my first ever sub 9 minute mile(8:57)...it was only one ...but I will take it!!!!

2012-04-17 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4154196

Uxbridge
Fit4Infinity - 2012-04-16 4:35 PM

Billy - I'm half serious - While changing wheels I placed Rinny on the floor, wheels up and saddle down.  I found my first scratches.  There it was., boo, two small chips in the paint on the lawyer tabs on the ends of the forks.  It's not that I have never crashed.  I have three times, but I've always managed to sacrifice my body and save the shiny parts.  Skin grows back, Paint scratches are forever and Chicks dig scars.  You heard that on BT so it must be true. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend of training, racing and getting the job done.

Mark...I was LMAO at this post!!!!

30 weeks til IMAZ!!!!!

2012-04-17 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4155869

User image

Expert
mav - 2012-04-17 11:54 AM

Billy I think Bryan needs to push a kid or two for even 10K!!!!!

Glad Carmen is Ok and of course you too Billy!!!!

Brianna...the tri camp experience sounds great. 30 weeks begins next week!IMAZ awaits us. I just secured a condo rental overlooking Tempe Lake 2 blocks from transition SO PSYCHED!!!! Bryan...Al and you can have a drink or two in between bike loops

Today I ran my first ever sub 9 minute mile(8:57)...it was only one ...but I will take it!!!!

Awesome job on the sub 9 minute mile!!!

Where did you find the condo?  I have a hotel reserved, but the people I'm going with would prefer a condo.  We've looked on vrbo, but either the place is taken already or the owners don't respond to our requests.  We'll keep checking.

2012-04-18 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island

I have been too busy to post but trying to keep up with all of you rock stars and your adventures.  Work and out of town conferences have limited my computer time, not to mention my training time.

Irishod, I hope your AT is getting better. Sounds like you have a good plan of action.  Hope you are enjoying the time to do other things like some one else said.

Billy, I'm two races behind. Awesome on your HM with your daughter and double kudos on your 15k with your grandchild!!  You are an insiration Grandpa!!  Sorry to hear about you and Carmen.  Sounds minor tho.

Ladies, Pam, adding kick boxing?  Really?  Where do you find the time????

There are so many others I would love to refer to but I am at work and my brain is mush with a headache, with little relief with 8oo mg of Motirn.

As for me, I did get a race in this weekend, More Magazine HM.  In Central Park, a bit hilly.  I stayed with a pregnant colleaugue for a while.  She normally does 9 min miles but suffice to say she was challenged and I left her when she needed to keep walking on the down hill.  I was fine to walk the up hills with her but I would have been walking the whole race if I walked the down hills too!  We did 4:1 for a while together.   I am trying to put in a race report which I did do once but I can't figure it out this time.  How do I enter infO??  I'll post the details there but here is my ongoing issue.

I am not a fast runner, 11-12 min miles doing Galloway or not.  Can't really go much slower or I am walking the whole way.  My heart rate is continuing to be the limiter.  My legs can go faster but I can't breathe cuz my HR is 160's-170's  Avge HR for the race was 168.  I have a follow up with the cardiologist this month.  Last Aug he did a stress echo and it was normal.  I am not overwieght and I am on BP meds.  I feel I have sufficient base and should have a lower HR.  Resting morning HR is 55.  Look in my logs.  Except for recently, I have quite a bit of cardio time, plus the HIM training from last year.  I am so frustrated!!!  Did the race in 2:40.  Billy, would love to race with your daughter!!  Does anyone have any ideas??

2012-04-18 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
I found the edit key and put in my race report.  Cool
2012-04-18 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi  Everyone!  I am not liking this work thing as it keeps me busy to do other things that I want to do like chat with my friends on BT.  Smile

Been doing short brick workouts and I hate to say it but they haven't been so bad.  I know that will change when I increase the distance and time.

This weekend is my hubby's 2nd HM and he hasn't been running since his first one last month.  I have begged him not to run but he said that he wants to do it.  Oh how I can already hear the pain he will be in.

2012-04-19 10:48 AM

Regular

All right I need some help.  I have increased my training in the last few weeks and it just seems I am hitting a wall and getting slower and slower in all 3 areas.  Today I was supposed to do a 7.8 mile run and I had to walk after 1 mile which is something I almost never do.  I barely made it to 4 miles including a fair amount of walking.  And I am getting morose.

My diet is heavily protein based and my BF suggested I am bonking and need to increase my complex carbohydrate intake.  I am actually not really sure how to do that.  Carbs usually make me feel sluggish so I tend to not eat too many of them.  I typically eat a baggie of instant oatmeal (I add a scoop of protein powder) or Kashi cereal for breakfast, eat a special K protein bar for morning snack, eat some vegetables for lunch and then a pretty routine dinner of veggies and a lean meat or fish.  I do not necessarily shy away from french fries or my fair share of daily chocolate.  Plus in the afternoon I eat some protein chips from Kay's naturals.

Thoughts?

2012-04-19 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

I would agree with your friend that you could benefit from increasing your carbs.  The body needs fuel, and if you increased your training without increasing your carb intake, I would think it would eventually catch up to you.  Have you lost weight since you increased the training?  I was in a cycle last summer where I increased my workouts significantly, and focused on eating mostly protein.  I lost weight, but felt really tired and rundown after a couple weeks.  Now I make sure to take in carbs before and after a big workout, and if its a real long one I'll have a bar high in carbs during.  It makes a big difference in my energy level.

2012-04-19 1:11 PM

User image

Expert

I'm not nutritional expert either, but I was also agree that you need some carbs to fuel the body.

Also, not sure where you are located, but if it has recently started to warm up, it may take your body a little bit to get heat acclimated.

Or it could just be your body saying "you're working me hard and I'm trying to keep up".  Make sure to plan some recovery days in your training.

2012-04-19 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I have some catching up to do here, sorry for being MIA.. but i wanted to share my quick news :

40 Day Fast compete! 34 lbs and 6 inches off my waist are gone (I hope forever).

I can't say I had any kind of a spiritual experience through this, but it was definitely an exercise of will and one of the bigger endurance events I've gone through. An Ironman of sorts?

Having the weight gone is fantastic (and was one of my top reasons this time around), but honestly, the health benefits are so clearly felt there is no doubt in my mind it's one of the best things I can do to take care of the body God gave me..
2012-04-19 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4160459

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
pedmpa - 2012-04-19 8:48 AM

All right I need some help.  I have increased my training in the last few weeks and it just seems I am hitting a wall and getting slower and slower in all 3 areas.  Today I was supposed to do a 7.8 mile run and I had to walk after 1 mile which is something I almost never do.  I barely made it to 4 miles including a fair amount of walking.  And I am getting morose.

My diet is heavily protein based and my BF suggested I am bonking and need to increase my complex carbohydrate intake.  I am actually not really sure how to do that.  Carbs usually make me feel sluggish so I tend to not eat too many of them.  I typically eat a baggie of instant oatmeal (I add a scoop of protein powder) or Kashi cereal for breakfast, eat a special K protein bar for morning snack, eat some vegetables for lunch and then a pretty routine dinner of veggies and a lean meat or fish.  I do not necessarily shy away from french fries or my fair share of daily chocolate.  Plus in the afternoon I eat some protein chips from Kay's naturals.

Thoughts?

You may be feeling the accumulated fatigue from the past few weeks of hard work.

The plans that have been most successful for me, usually have a recurring theme of 3 weeks gradually increasing either distance or intensity.  Followed by a week that is less demanding.  After the 3 hard weeks my body has a difficult time managing the 'accumulated stress and fatigue' and needs the recovery weeks to consolidate the gains and prepare for the next cycle.

The other thought has to do with hydration and nutrition during long workouts.

2012-04-19 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4160459

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
pedmpa - 2012-04-19 8:48 AM

Thoughts?

Carbs make you feel sluggish for two reasons.  The insulin response to increase sugar in the blood and resulting energy spike and crash.  Second inorder to digest carbohydrates the body shunts additional water into the GI to add in digestion.

During intense exersize the body processes sugars differently.  A different hormones are involved.  One that directs the glucose to the muscles and does not direct the glucose to the liver and fat cells.

Suggest you learn how to 'eat on the run'.  The challange to eating is the blood nessicary to digest food has been diverted away from GI to the muscles.  If you consume to much you'll have stomach problems too lttle and you'll not be able to reach your performance goals.

You have two choices liquid or solid.  My energy solution is still a work in process.  I started using a liquid fuel.  Different powders mixed at different concentrations but found that it complicated my hydration problems.  So I shifted over to the products like Shot Blocks and honey stingers chews.  The blocks worked well at the sprint, oly and half marathon distances.  Anything longer and I needed to carry alot of blocks.  I was eating 1 block every mile or so, for 26.2 miles or 70.3 HIM thats too much to carry.  Currently I fuel with Hammer Gel or GU mixed with water carried in a flask on my belt/bike.  Gel and GU must be taken with water. <edited to keep this short> What will I use at IM distance?

Infinite is a popular solution for keeping your energy levels up during long training runs and races.  I know several of my LRR friends speak highly of Infinite.  I may gave this a go.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57