BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-02-17 8:29 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I went to the gym today with my husband and had a horrible swim. I did not use any of the training aids that I have been working with. My breathing was really off. I have no problem UNDER the water, it is when I turn to grab a breath, I am not getting enough air. My husband swam in the next lane and patiently did drills with me. My legs got tired fast. I have not swam in a few days as I had a sinus thing going on. When I have swims like this it makes me feel like I should cross off any hopes of ever doing any kind of swim out of a pool and over 300 meters. I know I am expecting way to much out of myself as I just learned how to do the Freestyle last month. Lately the pool has had crazy hours because of the freak snow. I have another swim lesson booked with the swim coach that I hired last month. She only wanted me to work on certain drills and she wanted me to use my fins and snorkel for some of them. I love my snorkel as it lets me breathe and I don't struggle to get some air. She wants me to use my snorkel in my upcoming race. Snorkels ARE legal but I have only seen one person use one. I read on another forum here on BT that someone was also using a swim snorkel for training and wanted to also use it in their upcoming race.... someone responded that you DONT want to be *that guy* that has the snorkel. Its not cheating and if it was such a great advantage then EVERYONE would be using one. After my swim I did 30 min on the spin bike, my base building continues on the bike and heart rate stayed right where it should be.

Hope everyone has a great week! now back to the Olympics!

Stay postive, you are right it will come around and you have not been at it that long. Nothing great ever comes easy. As far as being THAT GUY, I say "screw that". If that is what it takes to get you through your first then that is what it takes and you hold your head high. If you want to take a bucket into transition, then do it. I get kind of tired of some of the elitist attitudes that come along with Triathletes. You are a grown women and are not breaking any rules so do what you think is best for you. Also most won't even notice if you don't broadcast it and likly no one will care if you are not on the podium and even if you are, once again it's not illegal.

2014-02-17 8:31 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: BACK ON TRACK TOMORROW
Originally posted by dwilling

Ha ha, Thank you!! :-)

We had a great time together, mother and daughter shopping, lunch together and a movie.

Back on track today.

You have a great week!!

Great to hear that you got to spend some quality time with the daughter.
2014-02-17 8:36 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hope I got to everyone's post and sorry if I missed one. I apologize for being MIA this weekend but work and family time took up the whole weekend. I am really happy that the group is now starting to pump up and it seems like we have a great group. I will tell yall that this time of the year is hard for everyone because of the cold weather, and lack of events to train and work towards. I just remind myself that any work I don't do now will be twice as hard later if I wait and try to cram it in. Let's have a great week and once again I'm sorry for my absence this past weekend.
2014-02-17 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Goals
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Lovey

I haven't swam all week due to weather and pool closings. Getting back on track starting with a short run this morning.
Even though I am still in my base building phase, I feel like I need a goal. Like a checkpoint in my journey.
I want to focus on my swimming more without my run suffering.

My duathlon and triathlon are not until August.
I have individual goals for each discipline.
I want to be able to swim a mile and from there swim that mile once a week to keep fit while doing drills and such on my master swim days.
I want my long runs to be an 8-10 mile standard run so I am always be ready for a short to mid distance race.
Become a stronger biker especially on the hills. I still cant stand and ride.

Want would be a good mini goal?
Should I focus on just getting each of those personal goals or should I throw in a race like a half marathon, 10miler, mini indoor tri or sprint triathlon or even PRing on a 10K?

Tracy only you can know what will keep you motivated or would be a goal properly suited for you. I know you know this but for others in the group, I really like to mix in tri's, group rides, and runs to keep things fresh and as a reward for my work. I also think that you may be getting to a point that you may need to set a race / distance standard and work towards that (whether individual or tri). You may just need to say I'm going to do an Olympic, take up a plan, and work to race day, blending in some shorter fun time / training races. I think some times we get hung up on trying to do / set to much as training alone goals. I can not go out right now and run 8 -10 miles easily and have a Half Ironman in an little over 7 weeks, but I'm not to worried about it.

Also, what kind of problem are you having standing while cycling? Is the wreck in your head or is it something else?

Thanks. There is a half marathon on April 27th that I have on my watch list. I have done it before, the course is close to home. It is also the sister race to my triathlon in august. I was still contemplating if I can get to that distance safely. My runs lately have been good and I really feel like its because of the consistent tri training. My gym also have some mini indoor triathlons next month that I may do to test my swimming. I don't care if I come last, I just want to see how my swimming is coming. I like having a goal and it doesn't have to be a race. My running club has weekly races for $1 that goes from 2 miles to 15 miles.

June and July and club lacrosse main season. Between the boys, we will have tournaments almost every weekend and I can't miss those. I won't be able to do any events those months.

As for standing and riding, I have NEVER been able to do that. I have tried and slowed down tot he point of fallen over.
I will still try once I get out there. Maybe that's why I love standing in spin class.
2014-02-18 9:47 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Hey Lovey,

If you can stand in cycling class, I bet you can do it outdoors. When you try to stand, is there too much resistance or too little?

I love riding hills and this is what I've learned (any maybe these tips are obvious)

Too Little Resistance:
If you're riding a constant grade and want to go from a sitting to a standing position, you need to shift down once into a harder gear right before you stand. Otherwise there might not be enough resistance to carry you forward smoothly.

Too Much Resistance:
This usually happens not by choice, but simply because the grade has increased too much to remain sitting. Assuming you're sitting and you've already shifted up into your easiest gear, you will get to the point where you just have to stand or slow down to a stop. DON"T ever slow down to a stop - this is heartbreaking because it's so hard to start again, especially with clips. You just need to attack the transition, stand up, and never stop until you get to the top.

General Advice:
Hands should be on top of the handle bars over the gear shifters, not in the drops and not at the very top of the bars. Sometimes in cycling classes the instructors will have you stand straight up with hands at the very tops of the bars, and this balance doesn't work in reality. Elbows should also be tucked in and bent, just like when you're riding in the seat.

Hope that helps
2014-02-18 9:50 AM

User image

Subject: RE: 7 weeks and still going
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I LOVE my Aero bars. I feel like I am *resting* when I am laying down on them. It is such a relief to be able to get in the aero position and just rest your upper body instead of having to hold it up using the regular drop bars. I can also BLAZE through the wind when I use them. Just a word of caution that it takes some getting used to when it comes to the steering. I went from a heavy Cruiser/crossover bike to my Tri Bike and It is a entirely different feeling. They also make for some really cool photos! LOL seriously though I love them as it lets me have a rest!

That's good to know. I hate being down in my drop bars, it's bad for my back and uncomfortable to stay in for more than a minute. I just assumed that aerobars would be uncomfortable too.

2014-02-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by cassowary

Hey Lovey,

If you can stand in cycling class, I bet you can do it outdoors. When you try to stand, is there too much resistance or too little?

I love riding hills and this is what I've learned (any maybe these tips are obvious)

Too Little Resistance:
If you're riding a constant grade and want to go from a sitting to a standing position, you need to shift down once into a harder gear right before you stand. Otherwise there might not be enough resistance to carry you forward smoothly.

Too Much Resistance:
This usually happens not by choice, but simply because the grade has increased too much to remain sitting. Assuming you're sitting and you've already shifted up into your easiest gear, you will get to the point where you just have to stand or slow down to a stop. DON"T ever slow down to a stop - this is heartbreaking because it's so hard to start again, especially with clips. You just need to attack the transition, stand up, and never stop until you get to the top.

General Advice:
Hands should be on top of the handle bars over the gear shifters, not in the drops and not at the very top of the bars. Sometimes in cycling classes the instructors will have you stand straight up with hands at the very tops of the bars, and this balance doesn't work in reality. Elbows should also be tucked in and bent, just like when you're riding in the seat.

Hope that helps

That does make sense. I have a hybrid/flat bar road bike. I did add bar ends because it seemed to give me a better grip on hills even sitting down and it was a way to shift my hands to a different position when they got tired. I am going to print this so I can have it when I hit the roads.
2014-02-18 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: A Laugh while running
Just though I would share something with yall that made me laugh this morning. So I get up around 5:30 have my cup of coffee, take the dog out, and then head out for my run around 6:15. I start out in lite fog, see 6 deer a couple of feet away and think man this is nice I should run early more often (don't really like running when it's dark, due to bad drivers in the area). Fast forward ten minutes and a mile or so in and I am pouring down with sweat and the humidity is out of this world. By the way I'm wearing thin shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Just then I start to laugh because so many are fighting the cold and several feet of snow, and I'm sweating and hot in the middle of February. It is amazing how different things are geographically, but I will always take my Texas Heat over most of yall's snow and cold.
2014-02-18 8:38 PM

User image

Subject: RE: 7 weeks and still going
Hi Darcie

We're planning on touring around the North East of USA in December. At this stage we haven't worked out our itenary but New York & Boston will be included for sure.

I'm glad you enjoyed North Queensland. There are some great beaches and rain forests in the region. Unfortunately you can't swim at a lot of the beaches due to salt water crocodiles and poisonous jelly fish. I'm planning on spending 2 - 3 months there to get away from the Melbourne winter. We've recently joined the "grey nomads" (baby boomers who travel around the country when they can). Winter in North Queensland consist of blue skies and 70 - 80 degrees (F). I'm currently looking at how I can take my bike to do some training and exploring while we're away.

Rod
2014-02-19 8:20 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Turtles
I hope that everyone is having a great week so far and getting the workouts in.
2014-02-20 8:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Turtles
Got in a nice 3 mile run this A.m. and was able to get a negative split for Mile 3. Hope everyone has a great day today.

2014-02-20 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Where is everybody?
Are yall paying me back for not be able to get on this past weekend? Man, I feel like I'm talking to myself, Hello, Hello, Hello, is that an echo
2014-02-20 8:21 PM

User image

Hi Todd,

I was starting to think the same thing. Maybe we need another challenge to get the banter going?

On a personal note I'm pleased to say that my ankle is recovering nicely although it's not 100%. I managed 6km on the bike at the gym last night and pulled up ok. I'm looking forward to a ride on my road bike at the weekend to test it further. Not sure if I'll use the bike shoes / clipless pedals though.

What is everybody else up to for the weekend?

Rod
2014-02-20 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

I tend to run negative splits toward the end too. It's weird because it always feels like I'm starting faster.

Tomorrow night I've got my first 5k of the year! My goal is 25 minutes.
2014-02-21 4:16 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Good luck for the 5km run! 

I had a short brick session with the club yesterday, and a nice 2k swim this morning. It's hot and humid here in Brisbane at the moment, and the pool is one of the few places to cool off. I'm hoping to manage a 7km run tomorrow and a long bike the day after-we'll see. I hope everyone else's weekends are going well too!

2014-02-21 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Todd,

I was starting to think the same thing. Maybe we need another challenge to get the banter going?

On a personal note I'm pleased to say that my ankle is recovering nicely although it's not 100%. I managed 6km on the bike at the gym last night and pulled up ok. I'm looking forward to a ride on my road bike at the weekend to test it further. Not sure if I'll use the bike shoes / clipless pedals though.

What is everybody else up to for the weekend?

Rod

Hey Rod,

Great to hear that the ankle is healing up nicely for you. In reference to the pedals I am an always clipless kind of guy, but with your ankle recovering and unless you are 100% confident in your bike handling skills and with clipless pedals I would probably go standard pedal this weekend. Let me add though that if something is going to happen it would likely happen with either on. Enjoy your ride.

Since you brought up the challenge, YOU CALL ONE FOR THIS WEEKEND!!!!! So what's the challenge?

2014-02-21 7:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I tend to run negative splits toward the end too. It's weird because it always feels like I'm starting faster.

Tomorrow night I've got my first 5k of the year! My goal is 25 minutes.

I never do and was just caught off guard yesterday because I felt much slower the last mile.

Good luck in your run tomorrow, based off your runs I would say that your goal is well within reach. Go Get'um, Turtle Time!
2014-02-21 7:29 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Good luck for the 5km run! 

I had a short brick session with the club yesterday, and a nice 2k swim this morning. It's hot and humid here in Brisbane at the moment, and the pool is one of the few places to cool off. I'm hoping to manage a 7km run tomorrow and a long bike the day after-we'll see. I hope everyone else's weekends are going well too!

Great swim, just know that you have ticked off most people here when you speak of having to swim because it's too hot
2014-02-21 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In reference to what's being done this weekend,

Tonight, plan to time trial a 1.2 mile swim tonight to see where I stand for my upcoming Half.

Saturday - Long bike, no less than an hour and thirty minutes.

Sunday - 4.5 - 6 mile run
2014-02-21 7:44 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
After not swimming for a week and 2 days with absolutely no exercise, I finally got two workouts yesterday.

Yesterday morning, I did a short swim in the morning. Spent half the time trying to talk my way out of even leaving my house.
I swam my workout at a 3:45 per 100. That's a 15 second improvement. I did some kicking drills with the kick board and OMG my legs were on fire! I only did 3x25. Surprisingly, I kept pace on the rest of my workout even with tired legs.

Then last night, my running partner and I did a 3.25 mile run. Funny thing is I felt great during the run and right after. Within an hour, my legs felt so tired and weak. I had to skip my morning workout. Maybe I overdid it.
2014-02-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4953089

User image

It's 7 pm, it's dark, raining, and windy... and my race starts in 30 minutes. Bring it!

2014-02-21 8:17 PM

User image

Subject: NEW CHALLENGE
It's Saturday afternoon (in Oz) so it's a bit late to issue a challenge for the weekend so the challenge for next week (Monday - Sunday) is for each Turtle to complete each Tri discipline during the week. IE Swim, T1, Bike, T2 & Run. It's up to you if you want to do some or all disciplines together or separately.

If bad weather is keeping you indoors you can complete the disciplines on an exercise bike or treadmill or simulate a transition

I thought I'd include the transitions as they are not often practiced. T1 should include a run to the bike, change to bike gear, running with the bike and then mounting the bike. T2 should include dismounting the bike, running with the bike and and change to run gear.

Have Fun

Aussie Turtle
2014-02-21 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

After not swimming for a week and 2 days with absolutely no exercise, I finally got two workouts yesterday.

Yesterday morning, I did a short swim in the morning. Spent half the time trying to talk my way out of even leaving my house.
I swam my workout at a 3:45 per 100. That's a 15 second improvement. I did some kicking drills with the kick board and OMG my legs were on fire! I only did 3x25. Surprisingly, I kept pace on the rest of my workout even with tired legs.

Then last night, my running partner and I did a 3.25 mile run. Funny thing is I felt great during the run and right after. Within an hour, my legs felt so tired and weak. I had to skip my morning workout. Maybe I overdid it.

Great improvement on the swim time. I hope that what you felt after the run is just soreness that hit you suddenly.
2014-02-21 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's 7 pm, it's dark, raining, and windy... and my race starts in 30 minutes. Bring it!

Heck ya, others likely wimped out, and you I beat killed it with that shell to protect you and ended up top three for your age group. (Just calling it ahead of time)
2014-02-21 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: NEW CHALLENGE
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

It's Saturday afternoon (in Oz) so it's a bit late to issue a challenge for the weekend so the challenge for next week (Monday - Sunday) is for each Turtle to complete each Tri discipline during the week. IE Swim, T1, Bike, T2 & Run. It's up to you if you want to do some or all disciplines together or separately.

If bad weather is keeping you indoors you can complete the disciplines on an exercise bike or treadmill or simulate a transition

I thought I'd include the transitions as they are not often practiced. T1 should include a run to the bike, change to bike gear, running with the bike and then mounting the bike. T2 should include dismounting the bike, running with the bike and and change to run gear.

Have Fun

Aussie Turtle

Awesome challenge and thought. I accept the challenge.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.