Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-05-31 8:26 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL
Doug - where did you get the fist gloves.  I try to just swim with my hand in a fist but I bet they work a lot better.  I am amazed at TI.  The swim was truly my best part of my race and I can only attribute it to TI.  Glad you're enjoying it too!

2007-06-01 12:18 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I ordered them directly from TI, but via Amazon.com, if I remember correctly.  Unfortunately, I bought large but really need XL.  They run small.  They really work once you get a feel for switching.

I got in a short OWS tonight before dinner at our boat club.  I was much faster and more confident.  I did wear my wetsuit, mostly for buoyancy (safety), but I tried hard to breathe in the 5s and 4s, although I dropped to 3s whenever my irrational OW fears crept back in.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the swim.  I can't say that yet.

2007-06-01 7:09 AM
in reply to: #823755

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Doug, I agree with you 100% about the longer you go without breathing, the more efficient the stroke. I use the pull bouy quite a bit, because I find it mimicks the wetsuit feel and because I can go much longer without breathing which, I hope, improves form.
I find that the stroke on the breathing count is really inefficient. TI's rolling corrects it some, but when you roll to take a breath, the arm on the opposite side, at least with me, dips lower to compensate. Because it is lower, there is not as much water to catch, and the stroke is less efficient.
I like TI. I still do the side kicking drills. But, I find myself rolling less as my catch has gotten better. The only time I swam with my wetsuit I was almost rolling over 360 degrees with the added bouyancy.

Tara, as for the bike, I don't do nearly enough myself. But, I have heard lots of people say that is far easier to shave time off the overall race via the bike than the swim or the run, both of which are shorter and harder parts of the races.
2007-06-02 12:17 PM

Regular
Well, I'm finally "settled" in at the motel in Waynesville, MO that I'll be in until the wife and son come up for a house search the end of June.
I have not worked out much this week, but finally got a bike ride in this morning from the motel to the East gate at Ft. Leonard Wood and back. 18 miles in almost 90 minutes. Very hilly. Slow, but a good workout. I had my 10 Yr Old Iguana mountain bike serviced and it rides well, but I the whole time I was riding I was thinking that I need a road bike. I'll probably go ahead and ride my mountain bike in my first tri on June 23rd, but I'll eventually shop for a road bike before my second tri----hopefully sometime late this summer.
Anyway....it's good to be back on the training plan. I will take a swim in the indoor pool at Fort Leonardwood this evening.
Tony
2007-06-02 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Tony - must be nice to be "settled".  Hope the house hunting goes quickly.  As for riding the moutain bike, many people do.  I often use mine for training rides to break things up a bit.  My suggestion is to make sure your tire pressure is up around 85-90 psi.  That really makes life easier.  Changing the knobbies for either slicks or something with a smooth tread down the middle also really helps.
2007-06-03 8:27 PM
in reply to: #826725

Regular
Thanks Doug. I'll check on the slick tires. The ones I have on are new and the guy in the bike shop said 60 pounds was the right pressure. If I go up to 85-90psi, won't I risk a blowout?

2007-06-04 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I've never had one at that psi, which is what I routinely use.  If you do get a flat or two, then have your rim tape replaced.  This is the barrier between your spokes and innertube, which, if it's slipped or is "factory" is usually lame.  I recommend a cloth rim tape.  I've put it on all my active bikes and haven't flatted from that problem since.  I have picked up stickers and tacks, etc. and hope I just didn't jinx myself.

Well all, summertime's here and the livin' is easy?  Not for triathletes.  It's heating up here in Texas and I'm trying my best to embrace the heat and humidity with a positive attitude.  But being a Northwesterner by birth, it's still hard for me down here during the summer.  Anyway, keep up the good training.  Enter more races than you think you should.

2007-06-04 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Doug and Kirk - Please send us some rain!  You guys are hogging it all (and I'm sure sick of it by now).  We had a little brush with a tropical storm but its still critically dry here.  I feel the humidity though and it saps my strength more than anything.  Other than prehydrating and staying hydrated while you work out and afterwards, and running early in the morning or late at night, any other suggestions?

I'm thinking of riding my bike to work every day even though its a short distance, just to get some miles on my legs.  Doug, did you get the TI book for OWS for triathlons?  Just wondering if it has much more in it than Freestyle Made Easy. 

2007-06-04 10:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Bike to work!  It's a no brainer.

Yes, I think I have that TI book, too.  It's a good read after learning the basics.  He has some different ideas once you get past the initial TI lessons.

2007-06-06 6:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Question - what does everyone do in terms of prehydrating prior to a run? Every time I go out there I totally tap out at the two mile mark - energy drop, breathing problems, the whole nine yards. I'm sure part of that is due to the temperatures heating up here, but I know part of it's due to the fact that I'm not getting enough water before the run. Is there an amount that you make sure you drink? Is there a time before a run where you stop taking in fluids (i.e., ten minutes before you start)? I know it's different for everyone, but I need some ideas on where to start and then tweak it from there.

Another question - does anyone use a Camelbak or hydration backpack when they're biking as opposed to using squeeze bottles? If so, how is that working out? I'm considering doing that as opposed to the bottles as I'm concerned about maintaining speed and balance on the bike.

46 days until my first tri. Getting a little nervous. I know I'll finish it, barring an unforseen accident or mechanical breakdown, but that isn't doing anything to calm me.
2007-06-06 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

I don't really keep track of what I drink prior to a run, especially if it's in the morning.  Then it's a cup of coffee, a glass of OJ and maybe a small bit of gatorade.  If it's a short (for me) run of less than about 5-6 miles, I generally don't carry water with me, although now that it's hot and humid, I might.  Longer runs, I carry a fuel belt with water and gatorade, and sometimes a squeeze bottle, too.  I had to force some down my hard-headed running buddy the other morning as he refused during the run until he bonked in the 8th mile.  I took small sips throughout and was fine.  On any normal work day, it's a couple cups o' joe, some apple juice and some ice water.  I probably should drink more water, but just don't do it often enough.

As for camelback, I used to use one and am considering going back to it for long training rides.  On my 38 mile ride Saturday, I only had 2 bottles and no ability to refill.  I underestimated.  When doing a sprint tri, I only use the bike bottles.  My wife uses her camelback even when competing.  It's an extra step in T1, but she doesn't like reaching for a bottle.  You've gotta go with whatever makes you most comfortable on the bike.  No one likes to crash.

2007-06-06 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi Everyone,

This is what I learned from an earlier mentor group that disbanded: Sports Nutrition for Endurance athletes recommends 24 ounces an hour before exercise, with an additional 8-16 ounces 30 minutes before.  They also recommend 60-80 ounces total in a day. 

I was getting bad cramps in my calves when I swam and my mentor told me it was likely due to lack of proper hydration.  Now, when I get up in the morning I get out a bike bottle and I make sure I drink 4 (and now that its getting hot, probably 5) of them a day. 

I like the idea of the camelback thingy's.  Give a report on 'em if you use one.  I hate having to slow down and have dropped my water bottle in the past and its a hassle! 

2007-06-06 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I just reached for my cup of ice water.
2007-06-06 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I just got one of the Aerodrink systems that go in between the aerobars on the bike. Itworks pretty well, but splashes around a bit. I drink fairly regular on the bike, refilling it from bottles from the frame when i stop at lights. My plan is to hydrate heavy prior to a race and during the ride, but go lean during th run.
On training runs, I don't carry anything, but changed my route to go past a water fountain at the 1/2 way point. It is getting so hot I should probably stash a bottle on the route, I don't like to carry anything with me.
2007-06-07 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's a tip about that aerobottle - Aaron (JeepFleeb) stuffs a shower skoochie thingy in the top of the bottle which apparently minimizes the splash out and allows for direct refilling from his waterbottles.
2007-06-08 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Any one racing or getting in some good, hard workouts this weekend?  Be safe....have fun!

Can any one recommend a good HR monitor?  (I think I asked this before but forgot) - Are the ones I see people using on bikes that have a GPS the same ones that people wear on their wrists? (they do HR and tracking)  I'm sort of confused about all the technology but really feel like a good HRM would help boost my fitness level and decrease my times.  THANKS!

2007-06-08 7:24 PM
in reply to: #836769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I use a Timex Ironman with the HRm. I was cheap and works well. I also like the watch for eing a watch, especially for tracking swimming. There are better ones with more features, but on ebay, there are none that are better at being cheap, a watch, and a HRM. I like it.
2007-06-08 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

I have a Timex Ironman watch but it's not a HRM, and, in fact, I've never figured out how to use it for laps for swimming or to differentiate between my swim, bike and run times.  I suppose reading a manual would be helpful (my husband would nod in agreement if he were reading this).

I have another question.  My first and only tri time was 1:33:44.  I dilydallied a little cuz I didn't want to use up all my energy and burn out before I ran and didn't know what to expect.  I've been looking at the "winning" times in my age group and there's a lady who runs the local races who finishes in the 1:08:+ time catagory.  What is a realistic time I can expect to improve to considering I'm 50 and, although althletic and competitive, have limited ability to improve considering my "advanced age?" )  I need something realistic or I'll kill myself trying, and I need something challenging or I'll be bored.  (I know, I'm complex....)  Are there ratios you can expect to improve in????  Maybe getting my HRM will help in this area...

2007-06-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #836936

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Wow Tara, that's a tough question. All of us are trying to shave time off our races. A few minutes off the swim, maybe a mile per minute faster on the run, that is what all of us strive for. Genetics and injuries limit our runs, time in the pool and technique limits our swims. But for all of us, getting out on the bike is where we make the biggest difference. How much, who knows. Two extra miles per hour seems attainable for most of us, maybe more. How much that adds up to, it all depends on the day. That's what we do, get out and try to see what we've got that day. Where do you think you can do better in your time splits?
Getting a HRM helps keep training measured. You work out and try not to go over a certain HR. To me, it takes some of the fun out, because i don't psuh myself every time out. But, pushing every time out leads to injury. No one every advocates that. I do have to say the HR training has helped me get more fit. i read somewhere almost everyone goes too hard on most days and not hard enough on the few we should. The HRM helps there too.
2007-06-09 7:32 PM

Regular
Just thought I'd say hi to everyone and let you know that tomorrow (Sunday, June 10th) I'm driving down to Forsyth, Missouri to watch and cheer for everyone in the "Back A Child Sprint Triathlon" at Bull Shoals Lake. I think it will be a good prep for my first triathlon on June 23rd. I wonder if I will be overcome by the moment, change my mind and decide to register at the last minute and participate????
I will tell everyone the outcome Sunday nite.
Tony
PS - My 55th birthday is Tuesday, June 12th. It might be nice to get a Sprint under my belt before then.
2007-06-09 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hey Frank.  Thanks for the info.  I do believe I have the biggest potential for improvement on my bike.  I overconfidently thought it would be the best part of my race and it was my worst as far as time compared to others in my age group.  Once I can get back on my ankle again and start running I hope to shave some time there too as well as the swim.  Since I am so prone to overdoing it and wind up injured, maybe the HRM would be a good thing for me.  I'm gonna keep investigating it.

Tony - have fun this weekend no matter what you do!  We'll all be excited to hear what you did....

2007-06-11 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey y'all, I'm heading to the beach and limited computer access.  Y'all have a great week and keep working toward your goals.  I hope to run a few times on the shore and either figure out a way to do an OWS or just some fly-fishing for red drum and trout.
2007-06-13 8:24 AM
in reply to: #837439

Regular
All,
I spent over an hour Sunday night plugging in the info from my first tri, but the power went out at the motel just before I saved, so I lost most of the input. Anyway, I finished with a smile on my first tri on Sunday. In summary, it was tough but it was fun. I have a lot that I can improve on, and I've learned that I need to buy a wetsuit and a race bike.
My times were slow: 14:07 for the 400m swim, 50:00 for the 12.5m bike ride, and 35:35 for the 5K run. I thought I would freeze, cramp, and drown on the swim. My T1 time was horrendous. It took me at least 5-7 minutes to get from the finish point of the swim (at the bottom of a boat ramp) uphill 100 yards and then a quarter mile jog (in flipflops) to the transition point. I took my time (another 3-5 minutes) to catch my breath as I put on socks, shoes, shirt, and helmet before I ran my bike to be scanned in for the bike ride. I've determined that I need a wetsuit.
The bike route was uphill out and down hill back. It was a tough, slow ride on my mountain bike.
The run course was pretty flat, but I was so tired by that time that I did not run well. In fact, I walked 3 or 4 times up some short inclines.
My next tri is June 23rd. I hope to have a wetsuit by then. I'll shop for one this weekend. I will use my mountain bike again, and this time it will be 18 mile instead of 12.5m.
I plan to finish with a smile again.
TW
2007-06-13 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Congrats Tony!  Considering your lack of a wetsuit and road bike - you did awesome!  You've got the right attitude - now that you have a time established you know what it is you have to beat.  The smile is the best part of the whole race - Keep enjoying!
2007-06-13 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Congratulations Tony. It must be great to get the first one under your belt. I think getting more/better gear is part of the eternal quest that is this sport. Would you have done anything differently knowing what you know now?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26