BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-06-18 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2929634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-06-18 8:23 AM

CELTICS FANS -

Watching the second half last noight was somewhere between being on The Rack and experiencing waterboarding. And that's that.

Yes, you are correct Steve! And we shall speak of it no more...

(Except to say, the disappointment seems to cut that much more deeply when you stay up late to watch a game like that...) It was painful to watch though, wasn't it? They tried so hard... And I felt so bad for Perkins!

Edited by thall0672 2010-06-18 8:57 AM

2010-06-18 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2929742

User image

Champion

MANDY -

You might not have been aero becasue the photos were taking on a climb -- either the one leading up to 302, or the Tennant Hill Road slog (the one right after the turn off 302). At least for my photos, I think both sequences were on climbs.

Unless a climb is steep, I will stay aero. I can make that work for me, and if I come out of aero on the gradualler climbs, it's just to spin, or to do something different for a few moments.

As an aside, if you look at the 3 or 4 photos of me on the bike from the front, tere is a guy behind me in green. He was 28, and he was a big, strong lad -- I would say 220-230, that range. I was able to pass him heading up to 302, but it was tough. I then kept ahead of him on the long downhill of 302, but on that nasty slog on Tennant Hill he passed me with authority and I never saw him again (until we talked post-race).

Anyhow, I mention that because he blows away the idea that bigger, heavier people have troubles with climbs. I'm not sure how he did it.....other than he told me that he used to race mountain bikes professionally. I guess that might be enough to be able to do that, eh? For whatever reason, he was real impressive on that Tennant hill climb. Zoom!

2010-06-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2929845

User image

Champion

MANDY and TRACEY -

Full atttention now gets riveted on the Sox, who again won last night while both NY and TB again lost. Does that put them just 2 games out now??

What kind of reception will Manny receive tonight? Whatever it is, it wil be less friendly than if the Celtics had beat the Lakers!

Will Pats fans forgive and forget Tom Brady for schmoozing and cuddling with Kobe last week? I'm miffed about that, and I think the decent thing to do was keep it private and not so obvious to the rest of the Boston universe!

2010-06-18 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2929856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-06-18 10:02 AM

MANDY and TRACEY -

Full atttention now gets riveted on the Sox, who again won last night while both NY and TB again lost. Does that put them just 2 games out now??

What kind of reception will Manny receive tonight? Whatever it is, it wil be less friendly than if the Celtics had beat the Lakers!

Will Pats fans forgive and forget Tom Brady for schmoozing and cuddling with Kobe last week? I'm miffed about that, and I think the decent thing to do was keep it private and not so obvious to the rest of the Boston universe!

Ya, about the Brady thing... there's no loyalty in professional sports anymore. It's all about where the $$$ is. Not that I'm opposed to athletes hanging with members of rival teams, but ya, do it in private for the fans!

Remember a few years ago when Brady was seen out wearing a Yankees cap??

Edited by thall0672 2010-06-18 9:10 AM
2010-06-18 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2929658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-06-18 8:38 AM

GANG!

Race photos are up from last week's races. Both are at www.capstonephoto.com. For Escape the Cape I was 264, and for Pirate I was 282. I'm very pleased with the bikemones at Escape, less so the run ons. For Pirate, if anything it's the reverse.

TRACEY and MANDY -- found your photos yet, and if so, ya like 'em? I think they're pretty fine!!

Great photos Steve!

I like my bike ones. Too bad there are none of me coming out the water. But my husband snapped a couple of me then.

I think my favorite pic from the race is the one of me running down the sidewalk on the little bridge with the two people behind me (the one where I actually look like I'm running and not walking!) With the two people behind me it actually looks like I'm a faster runner! Except those patches of dried salt water on my legs are quite unsightly...

2010-06-18 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2929884

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
thall0672 - 2010-06-18 10:10 AM
stevebradley - 2010-06-18 10:02 AM MANDY and TRACEY - Full atttention now gets riveted on the Sox, who again won last night while both NY and TB again lost. Does that put them just 2 games out now?? What kind of reception will Manny receive tonight? Whatever it is, it wil be less friendly than if the Celtics had beat the Lakers! Will Pats fans forgive and forget Tom Brady for schmoozing and cuddling with Kobe last week? I'm miffed about that, and I think the decent thing to do was keep it private and not so obvious to the rest of the Boston universe!
Ya, about the Brady thing... there's no loyalty in professional sports anymore. It's all about where the $$$ is. Not that I'm opposed to athletes hanging with members of rival teams, but ya, do it in private for the fans! Remember a few years ago when Brady was seen out wearing a Yankees cap??

I am a big Pats fan, and Brady is good. Off the field, I think he is a punk-a$$ed chump.

2010-06-18 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2929895

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

I found one of me emerging from the water on page 9 of Lost and Found, so you might be there, too. They are arranged in order of waves, but my machine stalled on page 11 of L&F with the white cap crowd -- the ones before you pinkies - so you might be on 12, 13, 0r 14. There are also some photos of the march down to the swim start, and I didn't find you there; they might've been around page 4.

Happy hunting!

2010-06-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark,

We will miss you - I'm so glad I got a chance to meet you.  Maybe I'll see you at Albert Lea in the future.

Denise
2010-06-18 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Anne,

Have a great race - come back revitalized.

Denise
2010-06-18 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2929628

User image

stevebradley - 2010-06-18 5:19 AM STEVE - Getting more and more comfortable being uncomfortable on the bike --- that sounds good! A goal inexorably being moved towards! As for finishing a brick run at 8:12 pace, it sure sounds like you were really running when you were running. You know, that's a part of my own pacing that I'm never sure of -- the first x-amount of distance/time off of the bike. The only way I'm even remotely sure of it is when I bring it right down to something deliberately slow, but anything that seems moderate just might end up being a shade or two quicker. At Escape last week I didn't feel I was bursting out of T2, but when my breath was still labored after about 1/2-3/4 of a mile, I began to suspect something! So.....how did last night's brick go? Ddid you manage to "reverse" it, with the shorter ride and longer run? Finally, it sounds like your motivation has returned fully. Yes?

Hey Steve,

I hear you on all points.  I have a section of road about a half-mile long with a slight uphill grade that I'm using as the start of my bricks.  I've been trying to come off the bike as strong as possible, thinking Cadence and Form the whole way, and doing my best to ignore the legs at the same time.  HR has been way up there (high 160's/low 170's) during this stretch.  Once I get to that corner, I'm dialing it back to whatever "feels" sustainable for the next 15 - 30 minutes depending on what my goal is that day. 

A couple weeks ago, I was able to get about 1/4 mile before having to slow, and now I'm up to the full 1/2 mile.  My next goal is to see what I can do about that "sustainable pace" as I'm still having to stop and walk to "regroup" at some point during the rest of the run. 

I'm not entirely sure why I feel compelled to come off the bike hard other than the fact the workout is primarily a bike workout and since I'm only running for 15 - 30 minutes, I feel I'll get the most out of it by pushing the tempo.  As a counter to this, when I'm doing a "run day", I'll spin for 15-20 minutes at a pretty hard clip and then come off the bike at a much slower pace, thinking LSD. 

ANYWAY, yesterday was a good day.  Did 15 on the bike, then did a 50-minute run, covering 6.25 miles at an 8:00 pace.  I was definitely laboring for the last mile - the legs felt very disconnected the last mile and HR started to climb, finishing around 172.  Legs didn't hurt so much as much as it was just that "out of body" sensation with them - something that used to happen around mile 15 earlier in the season.  I guess that's just a fact of recovery at this point and will get better.

Yes, motivation is high right now.  Not quite to the point where I'm getting out of bed to work out before work, but I'm thinking about my workouts all day long and looking forward to them.  My biggest challenge right now is that my mental "want" is bigger than my physical "can" right now. But I just keep telling myself it's about the process right now - and am slowly getting better at pushing through. 

Onward and upward!!!  30 days till Vineman!  
2010-06-18 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2929634

User image

stevebradley - 2010-06-18 5:23 AM CELTICS FANS - Watching the second half last noight was somewhere between being on The Rack and experiencing waterboarding. And that's that.

Wow - that was hard to watch.  BUT, it was a good game, and both teams played like champions.  Credit the Lakers - they made some great defensive adjustments. 

I mean, I still hate the Lakers and all....

2010-06-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2929658

User image

stevebradley - 2010-06-18 5:38 AM GANG! Race photos are up from last week's races. Both are at www.capstonephoto.com. For Escape the Cape I was 264, and for Pirate I was 282. I'm very pleased with the bikemones at Escape, less so the run ons. For Pirate, if anything it's the reverse. TRACEY and MANDY -- found your photos yet, and if so, ya like 'em? I think they're pretty fine!!

Some GREAT bike photos there - especially the Escape photos.
2010-06-18 5:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Race pics:

SteveB - The muscle definition in your arms looks way cool in the Escape bike pics.  Are your shoes GREEN and ORANGE?  Goes great with the red top - I see what you mean about not being a fashionista.

Mandy - Very nice smile on the bike - looks like you're enjoying yourself.  Run pics are very good - looks like you're sprinting.

Tracey - what's your bib #?

Denise
2010-06-18 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2931098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
LadyNorth - 2010-06-18 6:55 PM

Race pics:

SteveB - The muscle definition in your arms looks way cool in the Escape bike pics.  Are your shoes GREEN and ORANGE?  Goes great with the red top - I see what you mean about not being a fashionista.

Mandy - Very nice smile on the bike - looks like you're enjoying yourself.  Run pics are very good - looks like you're sprinting.

Tracey - what's your bib #?

Denise

I was trying to keep that a secret but since you asked...! It's 393.

2010-06-18 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2931098

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-06-18 6:55 PM
Race pics:

SteveB - The muscle definition in your arms looks way cool in the Escape bike pics. 

Denise

x 2!!!   
2010-06-19 7:32 AM

Master
Kitchener
TRACEY AND MANDY,

What great race photos you both have.   I am SO envious of people who are photogenic (sp?).    And there are so many of them!    You both look fresh and full of energy and best of all, happy.   I bet it will be hard to pick which ones you would like to purchase.  

The photographer for tomorrow's race does good pictures but not nearly as many shots as you guys have.   They are expensive too, but I don't have to worry because I won't have any to be tempted to purchase.        I have to get Ken to take a picture or two before the race, when I am not looking bedraggled.     

2010-06-19 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2931496

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
ANNE! Thanks - Tracey and Steve have awesome photos - Steve has some pipes, huh?    They both look awesome.

I am rarely happy with my race photos - I haven't purchased any to date.  I don't really like the ones from Pirate, but maybe we are always harder on ourselves.  I didn't send those photos to anyone but you guys! HA!  I want some good ones for Timberman though. Dang it.

Good luck, you are going to do awesome tomorrow!

Mandy
2010-06-19 7:53 AM

Master
Kitchener

I finally used STEVEA's  recommendation for the wetsuit removal (thank you STEVE), and made a 50/50 mixture of the shampoo conditioner and water.   Got my suit off in record time yesterday - 17 seconds.   Mind you that is from the hips waist down.   I had the top part off by the time I got to my 'transition'.   

I want to wear my watch tomorrow, but I have to put it on top of my sleeve because my sleeves go right down to my wrist bones and a couple of times I have forgotten to take it off before getting my arms out - doesn't work.      So then I have to waste time and put the sleeves back on.   If I forget tomorrow, at least I have about 300 meters before I get to the bike to get things in order.

I forgot to mention iit is a mass start of over 800 people and you can only get about 20-30 people wide.   Not sure why they don't spread out more; maybe because they would have further to swim to the buoy?    It kind of freaked me out last year so I stayed at the VERY back and it was like 1.5 minutes before I could get my feet into the water.    I plan to be at the back again this year.    This year they have people predicting their finish time and you can choose your own cap colour.

STEVEB - I am not going to wear my HR monitor - remembering to take 2 watches off my arms is just too much remembering.   Plus, I think sometimes when I see my my HR in the 150's I panic and maybe slow down too much, so will just go by feel, but I AM scared about burning my legs out before the end of the course.   But Ken says what you do - experiment and go harder than normal and if I burn out, so what.   I will learn how far I can push.  

Hope everyone has a great weekend planned.  
2010-06-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2931502

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I guess you all know that I no longer train with a HRM (not ruling it out for the furture, might well return to it at some point), but I have never raced with it. Reasons:
(1) Don't trust it to be accurate, period.
(2) Don't trust it to accurately reflect how I'm feeling at any given point.
(3) I trust myself to know how I'm feeling.
(4) It's another piece of something I have to fuss about, when I'm looking for LESS stuff to fuss about.

There are maybe a few more reasons, but those are the main ones. Of the ones above, I think 2 and 3 are the most important. For 2, I worry that it might tell me I'm at a zone I don't feel I should be at, and so I back off because the HRM is suggesting I do that. And that connects to 3, because mostly I think I know how I'm feeling before the HRM tells me how I SHOULD be feeling.

Ultimately, the problem is the same -- what to do and how to respond when I'm feeling lousy, in trouble, taxed, tanked. That's info the HRM won't give me, beyond what I know -- that I'm feeling lousy....etc.

So I say, go without it and let your body-mind connection work their direct-line magic to tell you what to do!

2010-06-19 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2931584

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

I'm not sure I fully understand where your watch-wetsuit problem develops. Is it that your watch is under the wetsuiyt, or slightly beyond the edge of the wetsuit. Mine is always beyond it, out there in the open, and I just yank the sleeve over it. Granted, this takes its toll on the sleeve and of the wetsuit's left arm, but I don't think that affecets performance much.

I like my watch tight on the swim and run, but looser on the bike, so I will often take a moment a few miles into the bike to just adjust it by one notch, and then again on the run to tighten it back. But it helps a bit getting the wetsuit over it that it is as tight on my arm as it can be -- less loose watch-edge to catch on, or something?

2010-06-19 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2931588

User image

Champion

ANNE once more -

Mass start at Guelph, eh? Don't think I knew that. That's a lotta bodies to fit into a plain old average-sized lake! At least at IMLP, Mirror Lake allows looooooads of room to spread out sideways, plus they have the start line about 100 yards from the edge of the beach, so there's all that room, too. Well, if it play it right, you should get a nice drraft effect tomorrow, with all those other bodies creating a tsunamai of sorts that you can latch onto!

2010-06-19 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2931176

User image

Champion

Ack! Lynn just told me we have to leave now so she can do some library errands before we head to some Fringe Fetsival performances, so I'm outta here. I'll be back later!

Happy training or domesticizing or lazing!

2010-06-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2931584

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Anne!

What Steve B said on the HR monitor - ME TOO!

Actually, to be honest, I have one sitting in my closet that I bought in Feb because I was going to start using it.  But really, I have enough stuff to mess with before I SBR, besides just fitting SBR in.  So yeah, it was probably a waste of money for me - although I understand and respect the value of it, I just don't want to take the time to deal with it.  That might change, who knows?

Again, good luck tomorrow!

Mandy
2010-06-19 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2931588

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-06-19 10:55 AM ANNE again - I'm not sure I fully understand where your watch-wetsuit problem develops. Is it that your watch is under the wetsuiyt, or slightly beyond the edge of the wetsuit. Mine is always beyond it, out there in the open, and I just yank the sleeve over it. Granted, this takes its toll on the sleeve and of the wetsuit's left arm, but I don't think that affecets performance much. I like my watch tight on the swim and run, but looser on the bike, so I will often take a moment a few miles into the bike to just adjust it by one notch, and then again on the run to tighten it back. But it helps a bit getting the wetsuit over it that it is as tight on my arm as it can be -- less loose watch-edge to catch on, or something?

The problem is that I have VERY short arms and my wetsuit sleeve, even when pulled up goes right over my wrist bone, so the watch which is REALLY big, cannot be beyond it.    It is on top of the wetsuit.   I don't like it under the wetsuit because it is too tight and hurts.  Ken wears his under and just presses the button through the wetsuit. 

But you got me thinking, and I remembered I still have my old watch which is half the size, so I put it on and then tried pulling the wetsuit sleeve up a bit more and I was able to make room for the watch.   The sleeve pulled off, over the watch pretty easily, actually.    I had stopped using this watch because you can't store multiple workouts but that won't matter tomorrow.

One problem solved.  
2010-06-19 11:20 AM

Master
Kitchener

STEVEA, STEVEB, SHAUN, anyone else....

Do you guys do a bike w/u at your races?   I see lots of people doing them and Ken thinks it is important but I have never done it.  I just figured the swim would warm me up enough.   I do know how important the swim w/u is for me, so maybe I should be doing it for the bike as well.  

What do you think? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276