BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fit, Fat (sort of), and Over 40 Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-01-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1935840

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Subject: RE: Fit, Fat (sort of), and Over 40 Group OPEN
Sure we have room for one more. I also grew up in competitive swimming. The run is the part where I always get passed. I also got a "real" bike after my first year and it really made me enjoy the bike portion a lot more. My students think it's cool too!

I looked at the comm. assn. series. Wow! You're lucky to have something like that so close. It should be a good source of support for you too. I'm constantly trying to find local people to train with. I live in a small (8000) community and I haven't yet found anyone else that does triathlons.

Let us know how else we can help you.

2009-01-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1936441

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
I've done several of the Danskin tris and they are really fun. I did one in the "Friends and Family" division with my sister and that was incredibly low key. Then I did the Seattle one (it was HUGE) and that was very well run as well. They do a good job of making EVERYONE feel welsome. It was a blast.
2009-01-30 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1936565

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
I think the hardest part is to just get started. If you only have 15 minutes at the beginning, start with that and just add a few minutes each day. Sounds like you'll have to carve out that time though. You'll have to figure out what time of day works best for you. I know I always have a better day if I work out before work but that just doesn't always fit the time I have available.
2009-01-30 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1936441

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Can you find someone to work out with you in the office workout room, even once a week would give you more options.
2009-01-30 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1937367

User image

Texas Hill Country
Running only. My outdoor bike rides are at a minimum 10 miler 30 or so minute out and back grinds.

I got a 'new to me' cervelo off ebay for tris for xmas. Its a tri specific frame and I have seen a speed increase compared to my old trusty (not rusty) steel roadie.

I incorporate calorie cycling in my diet - anyone else?
2009-01-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1937403

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Fit, Fat (sort of), and Over 40 Group
Thanks Chris. 

I'm trying to not overdo this first month and let myself get into the mind-set of some type of exercise every day.  I'm planning on using Michael's total sprint program unless anyone else has any other suggestions? 

I don't know how realistic it is but I'd like to take 30 min off my time at the Kirkland Tri this year.  It took me a really long time the first year and I also had to re-set the back tire on my bike (it wasn't tight enough and torqued sideways) so I figure that 30 min is reasonable (although I'd love to take off a whole hour since it took me 3 hours).

For those of you who have a subscription to this site, do you use the nutrition log?  What extra features does the subscription get you for that?  I'd like to enter recipes but don't think that's available for the free version.

I'm not doing any calorie cycling, basically I'm trying to listen to hunger signals, watch my minimum intake, and protein/fat/carb balance

Felice

(fixed spelling)

Edited by FeliceN 2009-01-31 1:23 AM

2009-01-30 8:38 PM
in reply to: #1937444

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
OK here's a quick question...I keep seeing references to "zone training", e.g. in the workout plans, training logs, etc.  But haven't stumbled accross a good A-B-C article that explains it.  I'll bet there's one here, somehwere...any suggestons?
Also do I need/shoudl I get a Garmin or other HRM, and/or does that eliminate the brain damage involved?
2009-02-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1937464

liverpool
ive picked the race i want to do its the liverpool tri on june 21st Im going to enter the sprint race so Im going to follow the 16 week sprint program given by BT ill just juggle the days around to suit the shifts Im on ill tri and follow it as close as possible.
karl
2009-02-04 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1945401

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
excellent!  Plenty of time to prepare, just take it one day and one week at a time...every step you take toward that goal gets better, and a little easier!
2009-02-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1938450

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Heart zone training information can be found many places. Here's one with a lot of resources. I like it because it's simple enough for me to use with my high school students but does a good job of explaining the benefits.

http://www.heartzones.com/resources/
2009-02-05 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1945401

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
One day at a time is the only way to get through it. If I look too far ahead in my training plan, I get discouraged. Also, you hear it all the time but it bears repeating: If you miss a day or a workout, don't try to go back and make it up. Just continue on with the plan. S*** happens and you just need to stay consistent. I've been sick this week and haven't been able to swim. I just do the bike and run (all I can manage when I feel like I'm drowing in snot!) and realize I've got five months to make the swim up.

2009-02-05 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1917648

User image

Subject: RE: Fit, Fat (sort of), and Over 40 Group FULL
Being stuck here in Michigan is getting depressing. I am tired of the treadmill and the bike stand. There is some hope for this weekend, the weather is supposed to warm up and I might be able to get outside.
2009-02-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1946919

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
excellent, thanks!
2009-02-07 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1946276

liverpool
to stmaas

ta mate the encouragment is most wellcome as soon as the temp gets above freezing ill get some milage under my belt
karl
2009-02-08 11:02 PM

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
I checked on training logs over the weekend. I know it really helps me to log workouts. Even just short ones. You'll see that the cumulative effort at the end of the week makes you feel better if individual days don't seem so great!

Let me know what else I can do to help. I feel like a pretty lame mentor at the moment.

Chris
2009-02-09 9:11 AM
in reply to: #1951919

User image

Texas Hill Country
Thanks for the reminder! I track everything in Fitday, Sporttracks, and my own spreadsheet. I'll be sure to update my on-line log here.

2009-02-10 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1951919

User image

New user

I'll update my log to.  I have kept it on my paper calendar but have been behind with entering it online.  I'm also interested to see my elavation changes for the 10k walk I did on Saturday.

Gotta go an get some biking in now (in the rain) I spend SEVEN HOURS today trying to register for the Danskin SheROX Seattle Tri (Aug 16th) and finally made it in.

Which leads me to the question: How far apart should I space events?  I've only done one Tri before and that was in September.  Now I'm on deck for an Aug 16th and Sept 20th event.

2009-02-10 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1955454

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
The Seattle Danskin is great! I did it three years ago and was totally overwhelmed with the # of women. Just don't expect an incredible time. Parts of the bike were so crowded you just had to tool along. That was okay with me though.

My first year I did 6 tris, the first 4 were all sprints and 2-4 weeks apart, which was fine. Often enough to keep me motivated, not so often I got sick of it. But it's an individual thing. Do you have someone to do them with or are you on your own? I only had to do Seattle on my own (my sister backed out). But two of my sisters went with so it was still fun.

How did the walk go?

Chris
2009-02-12 3:25 AM
in reply to: #1946276

liverpool
hi ive now bought a treadmill and bike turbo so now i dont have to rely on the weather
so today starts the journey off .........new me here i come

karl
2009-02-12 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1958255

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Good for you! That does take away the chance to use the weather as an excuse. I just quit thinking about my workouts and that helps. As much as I hate to use it, the Nike motto is true, "Just do it!"
2009-02-14 11:37 PM

Subject: lots of beginner questions

my first tri is in 20 weeks and i've planned my training around the Michael Pates Total Sprint with a few modifications - hoping you guys can give me some thoughts on it -

the training time available to me consists of MWF from 8:30 to 11:30 while my daughter is in pre-K plus one swim session on the weekends.  (last week i swam 700 yds in 30 minutes)

in theory it seems simple enough, that I could just stack a bike and a run together every training day and do only one of the two swim sessions.  i've tried to make sure I don't have a long run and a long bike on the same day.  also, i can often but not always manage an additional 30 ride on T and TH. 

i have been doing weights since last october, and i know they have helped me immensely - and don't want to give them up -  legs/chest/bis/shoulders/back/tris/abs.

Q1.  Is there any reason I should not do a bike/run brick every time I train (MWF)?

Q2.  As my biking distance increases per the MPTS plan, is there more additional benefit to riding the extra 30 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday if that's all I can work in or would I be better off to give my legs the day to recover from the MWF workouts?

Q3.  I'd like to continue doing the weights, but i didnt' know if trying to do 2 of the 6 areas each session would work, or if that would be too too much, or if I should stick to weights just 2 days per week - and if not, would I do them before or after the bike/run brick?  Is this just totally unrealistic? would I need to scale back on the number of repetitions or the amount of weight?

Q4.  The running concerns me a lot.  I have generally bad knees, last fall had terrible plantar fasciitis (which is what put me on this whole physical therapy-weight training-going to the gym-tackling the triathlon kick), and I have not run since the 5th grade.  I'm 40.  I'm just starting the walk-to-run transition and I'm not even sure on the treadmill how fast I should be walking and how fast I should run during the walk28/run2 or walk26 run4 weeks.  I have the treadmill on a 2% incline.   My feet seem to slap more on the treadmill than is normal. I don't have a clue biomechanically what to do when I run.  My PT suggested I look into chi running.  The people at my gym tell me just to go ahead and do what's natural and it will feel more normal in a few weeks.  Are they right?

So that's my first round of questions

2009-02-16 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1962839

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
Subject: RE: lots of beginner questions
Okay...please remember that I am a softball/swim coach, not a triathlon coach, I've just done a lot of training...but if it were me, the first month I would do a run or bike on M, a brick on W (doing it on Friday might kill you for the swim), and then whichever you didn't do on Monday on Friday. You could also rest between the bike and run on brick days since you have three hours. That way you're splitting your workouts up but still getting a brick in. If that seems easy enough, then you can play with adding a second brick. Don't overdo it too soon or you get frustrated. Don't underdo it or you don't improve. Does that make sense. Just don't leave out that swim. You need to be comfortable in the water, especially if you're looking at an open water swim. Any time you can get in 30 minutes (unless it's a rest da), DO IT! Do something simple, like drills or 30-60 second sprints followed by 2-3 minutes of slow work.

If your legs are REALLLY tired, by all means, take a day off. Only you know how you feel. But if you're just tired, not TIRED, at least get in an easy spin on the bike, or a relaxed jogged. You'll actually feel better, not worse.

As far as weights go, since you've been doing them, continue. But always do them BEFORE a workout if possible. If you try to do them after, your form will suffer and it will be a useless exercise. If done before the run/bike/swim, it as if you have already been running/biking/swimming and it just adds endurance to your strengths. I feel that two days of weights is enough once you've gotten a routine, at least for triathlon. I do light weights and 15-20 reps SLOWLY. Then I add as much core as I can stand. There are a ton of good core programs out there and several have links on this site. I do 30 minutes of weights/core, 2-3 times a week.

Okay, as for the running, take this as advice from someone who feels your pain. I am not a runner. My son did an Olympic tri with me a few years back (he was 24) and I spanked him in the swim and bike. About 2 miles into the run, he caught up and said "I'll run with you a bit." After 30 seconds, "Are you going to go this slow the whole time?" "Yep," I gasped. Off he went. I also had knee surger 18 months ago which doesn't make it any better. My advice: start whereever you are. If that is all walking now, then walk. Just walk faster each day. Or longer. Add any jogging in you can. Keep track and increase the time you jog each day. Go for 1/10 of your run time jogging to 1/9, then to 1/8, then 1/7. Whatever you can do. It will get better. I started with a 12 minuted run/walk (mostly walk) and in 20 weeks was able to jog a 10k at the end of an Oly tri.

As to the treadmill incline: I've been told repeatedly that a 1.0 incline is close to the average outdoor run. So, unless I'm on a recovery run (at 0.5 inclince) I do everything at 1.0 incline. Anything more and my knees begin to ache unless I walk. I will say that I consistently run much faster outdoors than on the treadmill. It's probably psychological. All those numbers flashing in front of me are intimidating.

So, I hope some of that helps. Anyone else have anything to add? Listen to everyone, try what seems reasonable, pick what works for you.

Chris

2009-02-16 9:21 PM

Thanks for the help   I've been doing the bike 30 min/walk-run 30 min on MWF for a few weeks now, but I was wondering as far as physiological improvement, whether it was bad to always do them together or not. 

I've been shopping for a bike this week and I had to laugh - the dealer was explaining that the main difference between a particular $900 bike and a $1200 bike was about 8 oz.  I mean, I know for the speedy people that 8 oz could be a make it or break it number - but I've been biking on an old cheap (read: heavy) slightly rusty mountain bike that is a little bit too small, towing a trailer bike that converts us into a tandem bke, carrying my 40 lb 5-year old daughter and our full water bottles and her snacks, and now she wants a basket for the front of her bike so  she can bring along some stuffed animals.  Plus I'm an athena.  So I had a hard time listening to the 8 oz discussion with the requisite gravitas, but I tried. 

I've been looking for a used road bike on craigslist, but most of the bikes for sale are mtn bikes, so i think i'll most likely end up going with a new cheaper bike, unless I luck into one. I'm going to advertise in the locals gyms too, thought maybe someone there might be upgrading and have an old one they want to sell.

The best thing I've done for myself for training was to let my daughter know what my training schedule is.  It's posted in her room.  At night I check her chores and give her a sticker and her allowance and she checks my exercise plan and gives me a sticker and tells me she's proud of me.  So knowing that she is watching has made me go to the gym on a few days when I would have slacked.

Edited by kJuly 2009-02-16 10:07 PM
2009-02-17 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1965556

User image

Texas Hill Country
8oz. for $300? Interesting. I would say that as cost goes up on a bike the components and material improve. That sometimes means that the weight can go down. Did you visit more that one bike shop? Some shops have bulletin boards with 'for sales'. I bought used and got some good stuff for relatively little $.

You may consider a cross bike if you have any concerns about durability. These are essentially beefy road bikes designed for cyclocross. Some are really nice and typically built tough and lightweight with high end components.

Ben

edit: that is really cool what you do with your kid! My daughter is 2 1/2 and just wants to go all the time. She has collected 2 race bibs of her own so far!

Edited by h3hound 2009-02-17 10:52 AM
2009-02-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1965556

User image

Regular
Sweet Home, Oregon
I had the same experience when I went to look at bikes. The extra seconds saved don't really mean a thing to me when my goal is to finish with as good a time as I had last year. If you have many garage sales in your area, you will be amazed at bikes people put out and as 10-15 dollars. We pick them up once in a while and use them for short rides around town or to put on the trainer. If there is a local college, check there too. I rode an OLD Puegot for my first year.

If you can get a lighter bike however, I will say that it makes a psychological difference. Also, knowing that my components are going to work during a race is really nice.

That said, if you are going to stick with sprints mostly, used and heavier won't make much of a difference. Hey, it will already seem light when you take the trailer and daughter off!

THe other thing you might try is put an ad for Wanted on Craigslist. I check it periodically to see if I have something sitting around that someone might want. Who knows, you might get lucky!

Chris
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fit, Fat (sort of), and Over 40 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 5