BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-01-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1125982

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED
LOL...saw the weather report for you this a.m. Calgary is cool today but heading for a Chinook thursday. Hopefully the weather will have cleared up in your neck of the woods by Monday - I'm heading to the area for business and have a bit of driving to do.

Happy snowy trails to you~!

2008-01-01 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1110953

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Its finally 2008. Happy New Year all.   Lets start the year off with some great training and some questions.

Lets talk base training.  Most of your have probably finished up your season in Sept/Oct and have used the last 2 months as an off-season.  Some of you have planned to start your training in 2008.  The best way to start for everyone is base training.  Just putting in the distance.  You really need to build a good endurance base to be able to sustain an entire season of tri training/racing.  This is great to do in all 3 sports.  Use the 10% rule to increase distance.  So only increase a single workout by no more then 10% and never have your week go more then 10% of your previous weeks distance.  So for those who are looking at doing an Olympic tri at some point, increasing your long bike to 40miles is a good thing.  You are probably thinking well the bike in an Olympic is just under 25miles.  But you are gaining endurance.  A 40mile bike ride may take you around 2 1/2hrs, about the same time to 30mins shorter then your entire race will take.  Same theory with swimming and running.  If you can do a 40mile bike ride.  A 25 mile ride will seem easy. 

2008-01-01 8:39 PM

User image

New user

--I began my training log today, but couldn't find the friends tab on the control panel! It just had a place to change my password or edit my profile?

Happy New Years everyone :-)
2008-01-01 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1126853

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

WVUgirl10 - 2008-01-01 9:39 PM --I began my training log today, but couldn't find the friends tab on the control panel! It just had a place to change my password or edit my profile? Happy New Years everyone :-)

Its the control panel under the quick links.  Blue box with a spocket looking wheel.

2008-01-03 6:07 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Here is a list of everyone in our mentoring group.  Hope you are all having a great start to the New Year.

parrj/Jeff
mind over matter/Cat
HelenR/Helen
TryTryTry/Sue
WVUgirl10/Jamie
KBARROW/Kimberly
surfnturf/Dana

Sue, we need you to set your profile so that everyone can see it (public).

Kimberly, haven't heard from you.  Hope you are still on BT.

2008-01-04 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Oops, sorry about that...I think I fixed it. Sue

2008-01-04 5:35 PM

Veteran

Heh Jeff- would you know (or pehaps the other group members?)   how to set-up so that when a post is posted - I'm sent a message to my email indicating a message has been posted?? 

Thanks

Helen

2008-01-04 6:49 PM

Veteran

I think I may have answered my own question- fond under - toggle email notifcation 

-Helen

2008-01-04 7:45 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
It use to be done automaticly when you posted to a thread.  Now if you want email notification you have to click on the toogle email notification that you found.  Then you can do the same to stop notifications.  Great for the mentor group and any new threads that you post asking questions in any of the forums.
2008-01-06 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
So how is the group doing?  I'm surprised we haven't had any tri questions yet.  Ask away.  I will always try to get to you log and see how you are doing a couple times per week.
2008-01-06 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1137027

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
I have a question... I have a really tough time mixing up my workouts. I just go one speed most of the time.I know that a lot of the "building" comes through set work but I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to work out like that when I am by myself. I am assuming that my training program will get into that a bit more, but in the meantime....

Also, I am travelling for the next week with very limited time to work out and too many food related functions. Any suggestions for survival? Is it better to just run this week than to try and incorporate a less than satisfactory bike or swim workout?

Cat

2008-01-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1137165

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

mind over matter - 2008-01-06 2:16 PM I have a question... I have a really tough time mixing up my workouts. I just go one speed most of the time.I know that a lot of the "building" comes through set work but I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to work out like that when I am by myself. I am assuming that my training program will get into that a bit more, but in the meantime.... Also, I am travelling for the next week with very limited time to work out and too many food related functions. Any suggestions for survival? Is it better to just run this week than to try and incorporate a less than satisfactory bike or swim workout? Cat

WOW, way to start me off with a hard one Cat.

Ok, so first, I don't recall if you have any races coming up soon.  I would assume that in Canada your racing season is more in the summer.  This is the time for base training, so most of your workouts should be at a realitively slower pace.  Usually around 60% of your predicted max HR.  You like most people are probably going a lot harder then that on every workout.  Base training is good not just for putting miles on your legs and building up your endurance, it also allows your body to use fat as its main source of energy.  And I do recall that you had some minor weight chances that you wanted to make, so this is the perfect workout for you.  What I do is once a week add in a hard workout of intervals/tempo or something and have that be a shorter workout that is just harder.  You should do this in each discpline.

Number 2, as for travelling it really depends on what options you have with your travel.  If you are staying at a hotel that has a nice workout room, take advantage of that.  Maybe the hotel will even have a pool, just be sure to get there before all the little kids.  If you have no other choice besides running, its not a bad thing to make your week run focused.  Remember you can do core exercises in your room.  A stationary bike may not be your bike, but will still get the legs moving in circles, so don't be affraid to use one if you have the chance.  As for the food, try to stay away from things that are high calorie/high fat.  Choose foods that are brightly colored and take it as a chance to try new things.  Remember that porition size is the most important thing.  Don't overeat, the best way to avoid this is to eat slow so that your body tells you when you are full. 

Hope I answered all you questions satisfactory.  If you have anymore questions, shot them this way.

2008-01-08 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
So we are just over a week into the New Year.  How are everyone's resolutions holding up???  Finding it hard to do those workouts, job and family!
2008-01-08 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1137252

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Thanks Jeff...so...do different colours of chocolate count? I am on a sales trip and doing chocolate and wine tastings....MUCH easier said than done. Seriously though, I did get in a gym workout at the hotel today - it's just tough when you feel like you are off schedule.

Thanks for the words of advice

C
2008-01-08 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1143525

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

mind over matter - 2008-01-08 6:37 PM Thanks Jeff...so...do different colours of chocolate count? I am on a sales trip and doing chocolate and wine tastings....MUCH easier said than done. Seriously though, I did get in a gym workout at the hotel today - it's just tough when you feel like you are off schedule. Thanks for the words of advice C

Both wine and the cocoa bean have great antioxidants, so in moderation they can be good for you.   Dark chocolate is a little better then lighter milk.  Being off schedule is hard, but use it as a time to try something different or just have fun.

2008-01-09 12:27 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

I've had a couple of you ask me about my foot so here is the story.

I ran my first marathon back in Feb 07.  After that turned my training to St A's Oly in the end of April.  Took about a 2wk recovery from that before starting a 16wk training plan of the HIM i was suppose to do in Aug.  Well, in June I started having some pain in my foot on the area of the base of the 5th metatarsal (outside of foot).  Knowing this is a common area for stress fractures I decided it would be a good idea if I just kept running.   I did a sprint race at the end of June and the foot was really hurting by now.  Had a few times when I would step in a hole on the beach or do something stupid and had sharp sharp pain.  So the beginning of July I decided I would stop running, let the stress Fx heal and train swim and bike and the run would take care of itself for the HIM.  I mean I did run a mary within the last 6 months.  July 9th I was working a football camp and was looking at 2 seperate fields, turned to check the one behind me, my foot rolled up underneath me and I felt it crack.  Pretty much cracked the stress Fx wide open.  X-ray was not pretty.  Had a little gap between the bone.  Did the hole crutches and walking boot for 6 wks.  Went back for x-rays, the gap had gotten bigger, but I wasn't having any pain.  So we started therapy/running.  And if the foot started to hurt again or if i had anymore problems I would end up going back for surgery.  By the middle of Oct I was back to running normal.  Did a sprint tri in the beginning of Nov.  Ran over Thanksgiving break, 24miles with a long run of 7.5 on Thanksgiving morning.  No pain no problem.  On Dec 2nd I was playing ultimate frisbee and had to stop, turn and try to grab a frisbee that was thrown behind me and my foot rolled underneath me again, felt it crack.  Got up, walked off the field and told everyone I broke my foot again.  No one believe me because I wasn't crying in pain and walked off the field, but I could feel the same pain, bone pain, in my foot again.  On Dec 12th had a screw 55mm (~2" put in my 5th metatarsal to hold it together and hopefully never break again.  I am 4wks post-surgery today and feeling great.  Suppose to still be on crutches, but its to hard to get around campus and do everything I need to.  I still wear the boot and have 2 more weeks of no running.

Edited by parrj 2008-01-09 12:27 PM

2008-01-09 9:07 PM

Veteran

Jeff-  what a story!! Darn that ultimate fresbee stuff.... 

-and Cat- gee wine and choclate tasting - hmmmm..- sounds pretty good to me!  

- well my NY " good nutrition" (aka- dieting)- "aint currently working". Was ill with some stomach issues I get time to time,  however can't sem to get focused on the "proper nutrition"components of the triathlon world!! 

-anyway- as well my husband and are are going on a holiday in 2.5 weeks - sure would like to at least drop a few lbs (because I know I'll be putting on a few lbs while away!!!)  

-hello to all!

-Helen

2008-01-11 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Subject: workouts when your body's "tired"
Hey Jeffrey,

I have a question about taking time off from a workout. While I am not currently following any specific training plan, I do try to get out running several times per week interspersed with biking and swimming when possible. Said running takes place in the evenings after work. Last night I just couldn't muster up the energy to go. I wasn't sick, just really exhausted with no energy. I kept trying to talk myself into something short but in the end, I just went to bed early.

When faced with that, (because this will invariably happen again!) should we listen to our bodies and take a rest day or exercise as usual? I guess my rationalization in taking a day off was that I figured even if I did push myself to get out there, I would only go through the motions and not really push myself, so it wouldn't really be worth it.

Any thoughts??
Thanks!
~Sue
2008-01-11 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1150377

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: workouts when your body's "tired"

TryTryTry - 2008-01-11 12:47 PM Hey Jeffrey, I have a question about taking time off from a workout. While I am not currently following any specific training plan, I do try to get out running several times per week interspersed with biking and swimming when possible. Said running takes place in the evenings after work. Last night I just couldn't muster up the energy to go. I wasn't sick, just really exhausted with no energy. I kept trying to talk myself into something short but in the end, I just went to bed early. When faced with that, (because this will invariably happen again!) should we listen to our bodies and take a rest day or exercise as usual? I guess my rationalization in taking a day off was that I figured even if I did push myself to get out there, I would only go through the motions and not really push myself, so it wouldn't really be worth it. Any thoughts?? Thanks! ~Sue

Well Sue, this is a double edged sword.  Sometimes it is good to push our body further then we want it to go.  Sometimes the body has been pushed and needs that extra rest.  As you can see, there is no easy answer.  The way I do it is, 1. am I sick or do I feel I am getting sick.  If so, take the day off. 2. Am I just tired from a long day of work.  If so, you should probably go out for a run or at least something short. 3. Am I doing this often or will this be the first workout I've missed in awhile.  If I find myself doing it often, I probably need to push my body so long as its not realated to #1.  It is not a major problem to miss a workout ever once in a while.  But if every week you are finding excuses to miss workouts.  Then something needs to change.  Hopefully I answered your question.  Let me know if you have anymore or need some clarity.

2008-01-11 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Yes, that makes a lot of sense to me and will help keep me honest about whether I'm missing a workout for a legitimate reason!
2008-01-12 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
I have a question...

What about fatigue? I have dealing with some fatigue issues for the last week. I am still getting my workouts done but later in the day I feel really fatigued. The kind of fatigue that I normally feel during allergy season. Since it has been so warm (in Florida) lately it IS possible that it is allergy related but can it also be nutrition related? I am wondering if I am missing some "KEY" nutrient or something. I have started back to regular office hours recently after being a work-from-home mom for the last four years so that may have something to do with it too.

Any other thoughts on how to combat fatigue? Any magic potion I can try? ha ha ha

2008-01-12 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1152348

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

surfnturf - 2008-01-12 6:36 PM I have a question... What about fatigue? I have dealing with some fatigue issues for the last week. I am still getting my workouts done but later in the day I feel really fatigued. The kind of fatigue that I normally feel during allergy season. Since it has been so warm (in Florida) lately it IS possible that it is allergy related but can it also be nutrition related? I am wondering if I am missing some "KEY" nutrient or something. I have started back to regular office hours recently after being a work-from-home mom for the last four years so that may have something to do with it too. Any other thoughts on how to combat fatigue? Any magic potion I can try? ha ha ha

Well Dana.  Part of it could definitely be adjusting to a new schedule.  The allergies have been pretty bad down here due to the drastic weather changes.  Make sure you are getting enough calories, and make sure they are good calories.  If you are getting a well balanced diet, you should be okay, but I always have and usually recommend anyone doing regular exercise should take a multi-vitamin.  Just to make sure that you are getting all your nutrients.  Also, make sure you are getting enough sleep every night. 

2008-01-14 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Lets talk a little nutrition

When workouts last less then 60mins, you probably don't need to worry about anything.  If it is extremely hot and humid, fluids would be a good idea.
When workouts last between 1-2hrs.  Replacing fluids is a must.  A good mix of water and/or sports drinks would be ideal.
When workouts last 2+hrs.  You now need to start worrying about replacing carbohydrates.  Sports drinks are good because not only do they give you the carbs, but also electrolytes and water.  Good ideas are also to take in something like a gel.  Some people like energy bars cut up into pieces.  I still find it hard to eat and exercise if I don't have to.  On some longer bike rides I have taken solid foods.

My nutrtion for exercise 2+hrs:
Running: Gatorade and gels
Cycling: Gatorade, M&M's (because they melt in your mouth, not in your hand)  But they do melt in the bag, so freeze them if its going to be hot outside. Banana's, oranges, apples and peanut butter.  go easy on the PB or else your mouth will stick together.
Swimming: I've never have or probably never will swim 2+hrs without a break.

2008-01-15 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Here is a great website that has podcast.  I listen to them everyday at work.

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/

2008-01-15 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1391

Here is a great article thats on BT about base training.  Something I talked about earlier on this thread.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5