General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-25 4:36 PM
in reply to: #856845

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal

I have done a few small races and usally place however I don' t do them just to place.  There is a running company in dallas that has a weekly 5K in the summer and usually only a few people in each ag so pretty much everyone gets an award.  I have a 1st and a 2nd in my 2 races but than have been against 5 & 9 people so I don't think too much about it.

I signed up for captex "First Tri" in austin last month and based on the previous years result should have been top 10 overall.  Unfortunately the race was rained out so I will never know plus there was no hardware anyways just finisher medals (this makes no since but who cares).  Anyways, I signed up for the first tri even though it was not my first tri (2 pool swims) soley for the OW practice since is was wetsuit legal and only 400 yds.  A top 10 finish would have been nice though.

As far as sprint and oly and heck, even HIM making the sport I call BS.  Does that mean that 5K's and half mary's are making running soft?  Even some marathoners or IMers complain that just finishing is running the longer distances.  IMO, compete if you want to compete.  If your time brings down some national average who cares.  At least you are excersing and keeping everyones insurance rates down.

2007-06-25 4:39 PM
in reply to: #858463

Elite
marmadaddy - 2007-06-25 8:13 AM

FWIW, the WSJ has a history of printing these kinds of articles about triathlon. A couple years ago it printed an article about how the existence of races shorter than IM distance proved that triathlon is going "soft".

I'll get my financial news from the WSJ, but when it comes to lifestyle stuff like triathlon, it's not much better than the NY Post.

haha - I had never seen that article before.

My favorite line - "The Olympic race can be completed in under two hours"

Gosh, only two hours racing? Well gosh what a bunch of wimps those triathletes are!

Edited to add: And the mile run can be completed in under 4 minutes. What a bunch of softies those mile runners have become.

Edited by ScottoNM 2007-06-25 4:48 PM
2007-06-25 5:02 PM
in reply to: #856845

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
well I do think its wrong using a noodle in a race though. Otherwise I really do not have a problem as long as they finish within the timelimits that the RD specifies and follow all the rules. Penguin race in Chicago (Chicago distance classic) has ballon cuties to are last. If you fall behind them you might be swept. Not sure how they exactly work. I think its cool because it really drives people to work hard and finish. You burn almost the same calories regardless of speed over a certain distance. Maybe a 10% difference at most.

My friend who lives in Russia says if I want to finish a marathon in russia I would ahve to finish in 5 hours, but very few people do them also. I think as a nation the more people can train for events the better it is. Either we can be a nation who embrassing exersice or one that lets out health decline.

besides how many people would be doing tris if IM was the only distance? not really a sport you can just go out and tri and see if you like it if that was the only distance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal Rss Feed  

of 2