Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-01-12 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3662

New user
Rome, GA
Subject: RE: Indoor workouts?
Jim,
Send your schedule to me and I take a look at it and let you know what I think that you can and should do. Don't let yourself believe that you can't run a 1:30-1:40 time, it really isn't all that hard. When your body tells you that you need to slow down or stop push that much harder to keep going. You body will shut up and follow what you ask it to do, it's called the zone and few people ever get their because they don't believe in themselves. The hard thing is to keep mentally motivated espically for the longer races. Some times our minds will start telling us that we can't do something when we really can.
I had a girlfriend a number of years ago who had run a half marathon for three years and had never run faster than 1:50. We had three weeks before the half was to come up when we first started dating. I told her that I could have her running at least 5 min faster than her PR. Granted she had been running but had never done any kind of work outs. I don't suggest this for anyone by the way but I put her through some tough workouts up until the week of the race and then paced her through the race. I had to keep on lying to her to keep her going especially around 8,9, and 10 mile marks because she was fading. I kept telling her that she was not going to break the goals that we had set forth and she kept pushing never walking a step. We crossed the 11 mile mark and I told her that we had to pick it up because the last mile that we had run was a 8:30 mile when it was actually 6:55. She would have kept on running just as hard too if the guy that was beside us for that mile diddn't tell her any different. She let up at that point but continued to push fairly well through the end and ran a 1:28. Much fast than she had ever though that she could do and finished fourth in her age group.
I believe that you can peak easily for both the mini and by Aug. 1. It will take me a couple of days it work on your schedule but I will get it back to you by no later than Wednesday.
Tate

2004-01-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3666

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I will send it to you this evening when I get home.
Thank you!
2004-01-12 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3517

Veteran
Keller, TX
Joel Friel in the Triatlon Training Bible recommends a weight program. It's broken into segments to match how the rest of your training should be. Lots of light reps at the beginning, heavy weights (factor * body weight - 1.9*BW as target for squats for example) with few reps while building, then back to more reps, lighter weight (40-60% of max single rep). He doesn't have you do a lot of exercises, though, everything is tri-specific (squats, step ups, standing lat pull down, etc.). It's not a big program and doesn't take a great deal of time. I'm trying to follow it now, but my problem is having enough weight - I haven't joined a gym and am working primarily with dumbells at home.
2004-01-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3669

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I have a home gym that allows me to do just about any exercise. I got the Cap Barbell rack system from Play It Again Sports for ~ $250 (great product for the price) with upper and lower pulleys, bench (decline, flat and incline) and leg attachments. You won't be able to do a high squat amount because your wrists probably can't hold that much weight in dumbbells while doing squats.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor workouts? Rss Feed  

of 2