General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Swimmer is FRUSTRATED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-25 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2368901

User image

Singapore
Subject: RE: New Swimmer is FRUSTRATED!!!
Hornsfan, excellent advice! You're a natural!

You don't realize it but its exactly that rolling that is helping you swim better. By rolling your body you're keeping your profile very narrow and hydrodynamic in the water. In addition to this your stroke initiates from the roll and so you have a longer, more powerful stroke. Excellent!

Guys, I just stumbled across this site:

http://swimsmooth.com/

Might be helpful to all of you. They've actually animated the correct process of swimming with a 3D swimmer! Awesome stuff! Wish I could animate like that!

2009-08-25 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2366595

User image

Veteran
Arvada
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-24 10:12 AM

smknj0e - 2009-08-24 8:56 AM Hey everyone!

This is my first post, so bear with me...

First off, let me tell you about myself.  I'm a 29 year old, 5'9" 170 pounds.  I've ran the LA Marathon and the Disney Half Marathon. I've also participated in various other events like Muddy Buddy.

I've been training for a triathlon for the past month.  I've been doing really well on the run and bike, but am still very winded when it comes to the swim.  My brother and I are training together and we've been swimming at least 3 times per week.  We have consulted with a triathlon coach which has helped us with our form and breathing.

So now, we're on week 4 of the training and I still get very winded when I'm doing a 100 yard swim.  I breath every 3 strokes, but feel very tired by the end of the 100 yards.  I feel that by now I should be doing much more swimming without getting so tired all of the time.  Is this normal???  When will I overcome this obstacle?  I'm so frustrated with myself because I know that physically I can do this.  I mean, my cardiovascular system isn't bad and I can run and bike with no problems. What's the deal?

I just want to get past this so I can do some longer swims.  Can I please get some feedback?

Thanks!

Ok, it's good that you are working with a coach. I'm hoping that it is someone that is decent at diagnosing swim problems.

My first question would be - Do you feel physically exhausted? Or dizzy? What feels tired? (Ok so that was 3.)

Without seeing your stroke, I would guess that you aren't that efficient in the water, and/or your breathing is hold/gasp, hold/gasp, which is common in beginner swimmers. The hold/gasp will basically hyperventilate you, and you get dizzy and run out of steam after a few 100m. If your stroke is inefficient, then you are probably flailing your legs quite a bit and using up more resources to kick than you should.

If your coach doesn't have a swim background, I would recommend a stroke coach as a supplement to iron out the kinks in your stroke.

John

This is what I was doing and when my coach finally told me to blow out as hard as I could I finally got the hang of it. Made a huge difference!
2009-08-25 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2368334

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
triharder12 - 2009-08-24 9:56 PM Wow I"m surprised that a former competitive swimmer would recommend breathing every stroke! I would definitely NOT recommend this as this will create an imbalance in your stroke that will be very difficult to work out.

So far it's 3 to 1 for breathing every stroke. Nobody says that it always has to be on the same side. You can swim down one way breathing only on the right, and then only on the left coming back.

I agree that beginner swimmers need to learn HOW to breath bilaterally, but for harder efforts and especially racing, breathing every stroke is more important than a slightly off balance stroke.

John
2009-08-26 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2366533

Ok... so I did the following this morning after reading all of your helpful suggestions:

1. Extended further on every stroke (which caused me to relax).
2. Over rotated (and noticed that my head was in a better position).
3. Exhaled fully and inhaled every other stroke.
4. Took it very slow (I actually timed one lap and it was approximately 43 seconds per lap).

It worked like a charm!  I didn't feel exhausted after doing a 200, which was the first time ever being able to do a 200 (and I did it 4 times!!!). I felt great!  I didn't feel out of breath and I actually felt like i could go another 100 yards or so.  

Thank you all so much for your helpful recommendations!  I hope that with my newly learned skills I will be able to further improve my distance.  I will be going to bet my stroke analysed this weekend to see where I am least efficient and am hoping that I improve even more. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Another thing that really helped was hearing from many of you that also went through this.  It made me feel like I was not alone in this.  I'll keep you all updated further on my progress as well.
2009-08-26 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2371719

Houston
smknj0e - 2009-08-26 11:04 AM Ok... so I did the following this morning after reading all of your helpful suggestions:

4. Took it very slow (I actually timed one lap and it was approximately 43 seconds per lap).

It worked like a charm!  I didn't feel exhausted after doing a 200, which was the first time ever being able to do a 200 (and I did it 4 times!!!). I felt great!  I didn't feel out of breath and I actually felt like i could go another 100 yards or so.  

Thank you all so much for your helpful recommendations!  I hope that with my newly learned skills I will be able to further improve my distance.  I will be going to bet my stroke analysed this weekend to see where I am least efficient and am hoping that I improve even more. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Another thing that really helped was hearing from many of you that also went through this.  It made me feel like I was not alone in this.  I'll keep you all updated further on my progress as well.

Great to hear!
2009-08-26 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
smknj0e - 2009-08-26 9:04 AM Ok... so I did the following this morning after reading all of your helpful suggestions:

Excellent!!! Great to hear!

And EVERYONE goes through this, some were just younger when they did it. :D

John

2009-08-26 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2366533

User image

Master
Small Town
As has been described here already, it takes time.  I'm a self taught swimmer.  I'm not fast... yet.  But think about how long you've been running.  It takes months of training to run a full marathon.  Consider that it will also take a while to get the form and endurance of swimming under control.

You're not alone.  BT is a great place to find articles about swimming and video links for swimming help.
2009-08-27 9:02 PM

User image

Singapore
smknj0e - 2009-08-27 12:04 AM

Ok... so I did the following this morning after reading all of your helpful suggestions:

Thats really so great to hear buddy! Just keep swimming swimming swimming swimming ( ) and you'll get it right

Let us know if you need any more support or tips. You know we're here to help!
Brian
2009-08-27 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2366633

User image

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
smknj0e - 2009-08-24 12:20 PM Yeah, I feel physically exhausted. I also feel winded.  I am exhaling whenever I look down, through my nose, and inhaling through my mouth on every third stroke. 

The coach we've been seeing regularly does Iron Man Triathlons and seems proficient in swimming, but we only get to see him once every couple of months because he charges a lot.

I am no expert BUT i was also breathing out of my nose and my coach made me switch to breathing out of mt mouth nice and slowly and that has actually helped me alot, you should try this. I went from barely swimming 25 meters to 1/2 mile without feeling totally winded.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Swimmer is FRUSTRATED!!! Rss Feed  

of 2