BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-01-02 11:58 PM
in reply to: #639939

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: RE: CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL
shallowsaltwater - 2007-01-02 6:30 PM

Knee issues seem to be a common theme for our group. I increased my bike volume too quickly and didn't get refitted after buying clipless pedals. The result is a tender right knee.

I'm planning on taking a week or two off from the bike, ice it at least once per day, and take advil. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks,
Tod

You got that right. I was told to ice your knees immediately after a workout or race. Ice if twice a day. I am very bad in this -- I need to ice more often. I, now, also run in the pool for some low impact core workout. I found this helps my run overall and strenghten my knees.

Make sure you stretch daily when you are healing. Pre and post stretching is very important. Also make sure you have proper clothing to protect you knee from the cold weather. All these should help you avoid silly injuries. And Motrin is my wonder drug.... LOL...

Hope this helps....

Alan

2007-01-03 9:06 AM
in reply to: #625462

Regular
Very good tips, thanks Alan!
2007-01-03 9:17 AM

Newville, PA
How's everyone doing today?

I have so many questions and I really need some assistance.

Let's start with something that may seem elementary to all of you, but I need some help.

What in the heck should be my heart rate as I'm running? Where can I find information about the proper HR zone, lactic HR zone, things like that? Does the HR training zone charts on this site provide benefits?

I figured that I will just get started with those questions and that will lead me into the many other questions/advice that I need. Thanks everyone!

Paul
2007-01-03 9:41 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
I am not going to lie, I personally run by effort. Easy days, easy and hard days hard. But I have helped people with HR training before and here are the formulas I use. There is some math involved here...

Target Zones
For the sake of simplicity, we will talk about the three key zones:

60-70% Builds endurance, recommended for recovery
70-80% Good for tempo workouts
80+ Interval workouts and AT training

First use the formula:
220 minus your age (A)= estimated max hr (HRMx)
Then shortly after waking in the morning check your resting HR (MRHR). You should check it a few days to be sure it is accurate.

HRMx minus MRHR= (C)

Now find your personal target zones

(C) X .60 = (D) D + MRHR = ( ) 60% limit number
(C) X .70 = (E) E + MRHR = ( ) 70% limit number

Example:
Jeff is 40 years old and his morning resting hr is 38.
220 minus 40 = 180
180 minus 38 = 142

142 X .60 = 85 85 + 38 = (123)
142 X .70 = 99 99 + 38 = (137)
For Jeff's Long Workouts his target zone is 123-137

Make sense? Hopefully that helps, but if you are confused, just say so.

Dan
2007-01-11 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
For some reason, my heart rate tend to spike really high when I run -- so I tend not to follow it. I have not trained with my HRM now since the battery died....... Now I am running faster without it.

Just wanted to check in with folks here .... I must confess that I focus too much on my runs this month. I need to have a serious 1-on-1 chat with myself now. The positive is that my run pace is improving and a lot og knee icing.

I finally bought a freestyle swim technique DVD -- Go Swim Freestyle with Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen. She has an interesting style. I hope to test out her techniques soon. This might mean I will be in the pool more often -- this is a solely needed motivation.

The weather in Georgia is HOT for winter -- great training outdoors.

How's the group doing?

Alan
2007-01-12 9:30 AM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Well, running does tend to get the heart rate up there. But hopefully not on your easy runs.

I am pleased with my training lately on a couple of fronts. First, my venture into actual swim workouts. My gym has swim team style workouts, which I have always been intimidated by. I jumped in last week, struggled through it, but ended up really enjoying it. So, two weeks in a row so far, let's see if I can make it a regualr thing. I definitely feel it will help a lot.

Second, I just started running again after two months off due to tendinitis in my knee. It is still a bit sore, but I had this once before and time off did not really help. So, I am slowly getting back in the groove. And just when I decide that, the NY Times publishes this articel saying recent evidence is that you SHOULD run through these things, albeit at a lower level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/fashion/11FITNESS.html?_r=1&ref=h...

Things are starting to look up!

Dan

2007-01-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: #651995

Newville, PA
I like to read all of your posts and logs to get some great advice.

I seem to be progressing nicely. My first ever triathlon is in June 2007. I do have a lot of time, but it seems that my progress is going very slowly. I do know one thing for sure - if I am to get better at running, I have to run more. That is something that I must overcome. I haven't run all week do to the fact that I pulled my lower back and it's healing nicely.

Now that you mentioned something about heart rate monitors, how much do you recommend spending on a heart rate monitor? Are there any ones that I should look at OR NOT look at?

Thanks!

Have a great weekend.

Paul
2007-01-12 1:44 PM

Regular
Paul -
My first tri is in June also. I'm really enjoying the training and have become engrossed with the sport in general. I just finished the Triathlete Training Bible and found it very helpful.

Any info on a starter HRM would be very useful for me as well.

Dan -
The swim drills look good, I need to start incorporating them into my workouts instead of mostly swimming a main set. Do you use fins for any of the drills?

Thanks,
Tod

Edited by shallowsaltwater 2007-01-12 1:51 PM
2007-01-12 3:32 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Tod -

I don't use fins at all. That is just what the coach of these sessions chooses though. We swim some kick laps and let me tell you, they are tough with no fins. I believe fins would give me a false sense of my kicking ability, which is poor. Now I know that and I hope to see it improve.

It definitely helps to have a group to do these types of workouts. When I was swimmign on my own, I did a pseudo workout occasionally, but this really pushes me a lot.

Dan
2007-02-24 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Looks like I am not racing Powerman Alabama due to lack of training. There's always next year.

Good news is that I am a new proud owner of Orbea Ora -- just put a down payment today and will pick up my baby next week. It is a sweet sweet ride!

How's everyone's training? I have not been working out enough due to work. I have a 10k next weekend. If thing goes well, I might run ING Half IM before tri season begins.

Have some fun for me....

Cheers!

2007-02-27 3:47 PM

Regular
Santa Monica, CA
Wow, I had just about given up on this forum. Well, that and I thought maybe I was supposed to be doing something different (I have not gotten the hang of blogs, vieiwing others logs, etc.)

My training is not going well. I can not seem to get any real consistency. Injury and illness seem to keep popping up and hindering my progress. Even icy conditions have interfered. I don't mind running in freezing temps, but when the roads get icy, I am not willing to risk it. But I have not given up hope just yet. I just keep adjusting my somewhat amorphous training plan in my mind.

2007-02-27 7:03 PM

Regular
I'm really enjoying this whole triathlon thing and I haven't even done a tri yet. I'm looking forward to my biggest volume month in March.
2007-02-27 7:06 PM

Regular
I'm really enjoying this whole triathlon thing and I haven't even done a tri yet. I'm looking forward to my biggest volume month in March.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CalgaryRunner's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 2