BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amyro's group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-25 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1867950

Subject: RE: Amyro's group- Open

Hi!

I'm really new to BT, and have never done a triathlon before, but I'm already registered for the Big Fish sprint Tri (500m, 20k, 5k) in June and was hoping I could join your group, since I'm only 19 and you've had experience with sprint triathlons, plus I'm pretty much a beginner.

I've been on a swim team and have been swimming around 2000m three to four times a week and running at least 5k 4 times a week. I just need a lot of help with equipment, especially anything pertaining to bikes, and training

I'm really really excited!

Nathalie

2009-01-26 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1928006

User image

Expert
Computerland
Spartannat12 - 2009-01-25 4:29 PM

Hi!

I'm really new to BT, and have never done a triathlon before, but I'm already registered for the Big Fish sprint Tri (500m, 20k, 5k) in June and was hoping I could join your group, since I'm only 19 and you've had experience with sprint triathlons, plus I'm pretty much a beginner.

I've been on a swim team and have been swimming around 2000m three to four times a week and running at least 5k 4 times a week. I just need a lot of help with equipment, especially anything pertaining to bikes, and training

Nathalie

Welcome to the group!

We definitly have a lot of the same background, being about the same age and both on swim teams. Whatever you need to know about equipment, feel free to ask.

One huge piece of advice I can give you: get a road bike. It makes such a huge difference in speed and comfort. You don't have to get one right away, but if you really start enjoying triathlons, a road bike is a must. It does so much for your speed and comfort. Entry level bikes (usally in the $600 range) are the best to start off with. I own a Trek Pilot 1.2 and love it!

Good luck on your triathlon!
2009-01-26 2:39 PM

Hi ))

I'd really love to join your training team, if you still have open spots. I am a 20 yo female from San Francisco and I am signed up for the San francisco/ Treasure Island Triathlon coming this fall ( in the sprint section).

I have a strong swimming background- I've been on the national synchronized swimming team for my country. Other than the gym though- I've never had a strong bond with bikes and I'm an ok runner.

To help you understand where I'm at, I copied this from Jonathan_ellenor ( I hope that's ok with you, Jonathan.)

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Name: Niya Wolff

Date of Birth:Aug 11. 1988
Height: 5 ft 5
Weight: 150

Write your three season goals below.

Finish the TI Triathlon

Medical History (Note: All medical questions must be completed)

Have you ever experienced chest, shoulder, neck or arm pain after exercise? Explain NO

Have you ever felt lightheaded, dizzy or fainted after exercise?Sometimes, when I over-train

Have you been diagnosed with Asthma, Diabetes, Heart Trouble, High Blood Pressure? No

Do you have any medical conditions that would be adversely affected by exercise? Explain NO

Do you have any injuries, past or present, that would be adversely affected by exercise? Have had ankle surgery to replace torn ligaments. 

Are you currently using any medications? Explain NO

Does your doctor recommend that you DO NOT exert yourself or perform strenuous exercise FOR ANY REASON? NO

When was your last physical examination? yestreday

TRAINING & RACING HISTORY & Goals

Emphasis: Triathlon, Duathlon, Running ? TRIATHLON

How many hours a week are available for training? 8

which day(s) are preferable for rest days? Monday/ Wednesday

Describe your typical weekly training schedule (swim, bike, run, weights, etc):
Right now I'm training at the gym for an hour every evening, I swim 2 miles/ week and I swim 1 mile in open water.
Describe any additional training:

Average hours per week for training last year:
Swim: hrs 20
Bike: hrs 5

Run: hrs 2

Average distance per week last year:
Swim: 5-10
Bike: miles 10
Run: miles 6-12

Goals for the season (indicate all that apply):

1st Triathlon or Duathlon - Yes
First Olympic distance

First ½ Ironman
First Ironman
Be competitive for my age group
Compete for IMQ slot

Favorite distance: To be discovered, i think I can handle the sprint pretty well

Best race to date:
Distance:
Times: Swim: Bike: Run:

Goal Races for 2008:
Race #1:
Importance: A Race B Race C Race 

Date: Race: Distance: Overall Goal Time: OLYMPIC
Goal Swim Time: Goal Bike Time: Goal Run Time: NO TIME GOAL - FINISH ONLY
Have you done this race before? Year? Time? NO, but I am intimately familiar with the course

(Copy and paste for any additional races)

SPORT SPECIFIC TRAINING

SWIM
How long have you been swimming? 12years

Do you swim with a Master’s Program? NO
The pool you swim in is in Meters or Yards?METERS
What is your best time for:

800M (or yards): 14 minutes, 13 sec
1,500M (or yards):
1.2 miles:
2.4 miles:
What pace do you swim 100s in the pool?
Do you have access to: Pull buoy, Paddles or Fins? YES, but I never like using any of those

BIKE
How long have you been cycling? on and off for the last couple of years

During a race, what is your avg mph? N\A DON'T RACE 
What heart rate does that correlate to? around 90
During training, what is your avg mph? 15 comfortably
What hear rate does that correlate to?

20k (12.5 miles):
40k (25 miles):
56 miles:
112 miles?:
Do you bike with training partners? NO
Do you have access to a bike trainer? no

Does your computer have a cadence feature?
Do you own a Compu Trainer TM ?
If no, would you like more information?

RUN
How long have you been running? 10 years

During a race, what is your avg pace per mi?never measured, ive been running as warm-up for swimming

What heart rate does that correlate to?

5k (3.1 miles):
10k (6.2 miles):
½ marathon (13.1 mi):

Marathon (26.2 mi):
Do you run with training partners? no

Do you have access to a track? YES

NUTRITION/OTHER

Do you have your nutrition zeroed in during a race? N/A
Describe a typical pre-race meal: N/A
Describe a typical race day nutrition: N/A
Describe a typical post-race meal: N/A
Describe a typical day’s meals, be accurate and realistic as possible:
Breakfast:fruit+tea and a medium mocha, light whip later on

Lunch: Vega whole food meal replacement + banana+milk, or soup+salad, maybe noodles

Dinner: Chicken / pork steak + side of steamed veggies or potato with a pat of butter, bread

Snacks:apples, cheese. sometimes a can of diet code, baby carrots
Do you currently strength train? yes

Do you own a heart rate monitor? yes

If yes, do you use it? yes
What has been your highest heart rate recorded during exercise? 97

Has your Lactate Threshold (LT) been tested? Results: NO
Has your Vo2max been tested? Results: NO
What are your average hours of sleep per night? usually less than 6

BARRIERS TO ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS

Indicate 'YES' to or BOLD ONE statement below for each sport that best describes what is standing between you and success in achieving your goals?

Swim
I find it difficult to finish the swim portion of a race. no

In choppy open water swims I lose more time than others in my race category no
My swim technique is poor no

My swimming gets slower as the race progresses. no
If I start the swim fast I start gasping for air and must slow down more than others in my race category. no
At the end of the swim portion I'm unable to speed up to catch those slightly ahead of me. no

Bike
Just finishing the bike leg of a race is difficult for me. yes
I am passed by lots of other triathletes on hills.
I'm a "masher"--I push big gears slowly.

Even on flat courses my bike speed decreases near the end. yes
As the bike portion of a race gets shorter I do worse relative to those in my category.
In short races, I struggle to get over short "power" hills. YES

Run
I usually find it difficult to finish long runs. yes
I run up hills slower than most in my race category.
I bounce up and down more than others when I run. no

My running gets slower as the race progresses. yes
In shorter races, if I go anaerobic I'm forced to slow down. YES
I almost never win a sprint to the finish line.

2009-01-27 12:42 PM

New user

I too would like to join your group. I am currently training to do a half marathon on Feb. 15th. I run 3 days a week and bike or spin classes 2 days a week. I am trying to get some swim sessions in as well. I have picked out some sprint tri's this summer the first one May 16th. then July and August. My plan is to get more serious about training for my tri after the half marathon. 

Thanks,

Emory Mclaughlin

44 yr male

2009-01-27 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1929690

I'm getting a job to pay for a new bike, and trying to do some research now just so I know what I should get once I save up enough. This might be too vague a question, but what size should I be looking at? I'm about 5'2" and I'm not sure what to even look for as far as height or frames or anything really etc.

Thanks

2009-01-27 2:21 PM
in reply to: #1929690

amyro1234 - 2009-01-26 2:38 PM
Spartannat12 - 2009-01-25 4:29 PM

Hi!

Nathalie

Welcome to the group! We definitly have a lot of the same background, being about the same age and both on swim teams. Whatever you need to know about equipment, feel free to ask. One huge piece of advice I can give you: get a road bike. It makes such a huge difference in speed and comfort. You don't have to get one right away, but if you really start enjoying triathlons, a road bike is a must. It does so much for your speed and comfort. Entry level bikes (usally in the $600 range) are the best to start off with. I own a Trek Pilot 1.2 and love it! Good luck on your triathlon!

I'm getting a job to pay for a new bike, and trying to do some research now just so I know what I should get once I save up enough. This might be too vague a question, but what size should I be looking at? I'm about 5'2" and I'm not sure what to even look for as far as height or frames or anything really etc.

Thanks

2009-01-31 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1929701

User image

Expert
Computerland
niyawolf - 2009-01-26 3:39 PM

Hi ))

I'd really love to join your training team, if you still have open spots. I am a 20 yo female from San Francisco and I am signed up for the San francisco/ Treasure Island Triathlon coming this fall ( in the sprint section).

I have a strong swimming background- I've been on the national synchronized swimming team for my country. Other than the gym though- I've never had a strong bond with bikes and I'm an ok runner.

To help you understand where I'm at, I copied this from Jonathan_ellenor ( I hope that's ok with you, Jonathan.)

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Name: Niya Wolff

Date of Birth:Aug 11. 1988
Height: 5 ft 5
Weight: 150

Write your three season goals below.

Finish the TI Triathlon

Medical History (Note: All medical questions must be completed)

Have you ever experienced chest, shoulder, neck or arm pain after exercise? Explain NO

Have you ever felt lightheaded, dizzy or fainted after exercise?Sometimes, when I over-train

Have you been diagnosed with Asthma, Diabetes, Heart Trouble, High Blood Pressure? No

Do you have any medical conditions that would be adversely affected by exercise? Explain NO

Do you have any injuries, past or present, that would be adversely affected by exercise? Have had ankle surgery to replace torn ligaments. 

Are you currently using any medications? Explain NO

Does your doctor recommend that you DO NOT exert yourself or perform strenuous exercise FOR ANY REASON? NO

When was your last physical examination? yestreday

TRAINING & RACING HISTORY & Goals

Emphasis: Triathlon, Duathlon, Running ? TRIATHLON

How many hours a week are available for training? 8

which day(s) are preferable for rest days? Monday/ Wednesday

Describe your typical weekly training schedule (swim, bike, run, weights, etc):
Right now I'm training at the gym for an hour every evening, I swim 2 miles/ week and I swim 1 mile in open water.
Describe any additional training:

Average hours per week for training last year:
Swim: hrs 20
Bike: hrs 5

Run: hrs 2

Average distance per week last year:
Swim: 5-10
Bike: miles 10
Run: miles 6-12

Goals for the season (indicate all that apply):

1st Triathlon or Duathlon - Yes
First Olympic distance

First ½ Ironman
First Ironman
Be competitive for my age group
Compete for IMQ slot

Favorite distance: To be discovered, i think I can handle the sprint pretty well

Best race to date:
Distance:
Times: Swim: Bike: Run:

Goal Races for 2008:
Race #1:
Importance: A Race B Race C Race 

Date: Race: Distance: Overall Goal Time: OLYMPIC
Goal Swim Time: Goal Bike Time: Goal Run Time: NO TIME GOAL - FINISH ONLY
Have you done this race before? Year? Time? NO, but I am intimately familiar with the course

(Copy and paste for any additional races)

SPORT SPECIFIC TRAINING

SWIM
How long have you been swimming? 12years

Do you swim with a Master’s Program? NO
The pool you swim in is in Meters or Yards?METERS

800M (or yards): 14 minutes, 13 sec
1,500M (or yards):
1.2 miles:
2.4 miles:
What pace do you swim 100s in the pool?
Do you have access to: Pull buoy, Paddles or Fins? YES, but I never like using any of those

BIKE
How long have you been cycling? on and off for the last couple of years

During a race, what is your avg mph? N\A DON'T RACE 
What heart rate does that correlate to? around 90
During training, what is your avg mph? 15 comfortably
What hear rate does that correlate to?

20k (12.5 miles):
40k (25 miles):
56 miles:
112 miles?:
Do you bike with training partners? NO
Do you have access to a bike trainer? no

Does your computer have a cadence feature?
Do you own a Compu Trainer TM ?
If no, would you like more information?

RUN
How long have you been running? 10 years

During a race, what is your avg pace per mi?never measured, ive been running as warm-up for swimming

What heart rate does that correlate to?

5k (3.1 miles):
10k (6.2 miles):
½ marathon (13.1 mi):

Marathon (26.2 mi):
Do you run with training partners? no

Do you have access to a track? YES

NUTRITION/OTHER

Do you have your nutrition zeroed in during a race? N/A
Describe a typical pre-race meal: N/A
Describe a typical race day nutrition: N/A
Describe a typical post-race meal: N/A
Describe a typical day’s meals, be accurate and realistic as possible:
Breakfast:fruit+tea and a medium mocha, light whip later on

Lunch: Vega whole food meal replacement + banana+milk, or soup+salad, maybe noodles

Dinner: Chicken / pork steak + side of steamed veggies or potato with a pat of butter, bread

Snacks:apples, cheese. sometimes a can of diet code, baby carrots
Do you currently strength train? yes

Do you own a heart rate monitor? yes

If yes, do you use it? yes
What has been your highest heart rate recorded during exercise? 97

Has your Lactate Threshold (LT) been tested? Results: NO
Has your Vo2max been tested? Results: NO
What are your average hours of sleep per night? usually less than 6

BARRIERS TO ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS

Indicate 'YES' to or BOLD ONE statement below for each sport that best describes what is standing between you and success in achieving your goals?

Swim
I find it difficult to finish the swim portion of a race. no

In choppy open water swims I lose more time than others in my race category no
My swim technique is poor no

My swimming gets slower as the race progresses. no
If I start the swim fast I start gasping for air and must slow down more than others in my race category. no
At the end of the swim portion I'm unable to speed up to catch those slightly ahead of me. no

Bike
Just finishing the bike leg of a race is difficult for me. yes
I am passed by lots of other triathletes on hills.
I'm a "masher"--I push big gears slowly.

Even on flat courses my bike speed decreases near the end. yes
As the bike portion of a race gets shorter I do worse relative to those in my category.
In short races, I struggle to get over short "power" hills. YES

Run
I usually find it difficult to finish long runs. yes
I run up hills slower than most in my race category.
I bounce up and down more than others when I run. no

My running gets slower as the race progresses. yes
In shorter races, if I go anaerobic I'm forced to slow down. YES
I almost never win a sprint to the finish line.

Welcome to the group! It looks like you already have a really strong swim background, and are really famillar with all the three sports. Good luck on your first triathlon this year Keep training and you will get all the endurance you need to finish those long races. My endurace increased so much during my first year of training and yours will too.
2009-01-31 9:27 AM
in reply to: #1931733

User image

Expert
Computerland
emorym - 2009-01-27 1:42 PM

I too would like to join your group. I am currently training to do a half marathon on Feb. 15th. I run 3 days a week and bike or spin classes 2 days a week. I am trying to get some swim sessions in as well. I have picked out some sprint tri's this summer the first one May 16th. then July and August. My plan is to get more serious about training for my tri after the half marathon. 

Thanks,

Emory Mclaughlin

44 yr male

Welcome to the group, and good luck on your first triathlon and half marathon this year! I too am hoping to run a half marathon this year (if I can ever heal my injured foot!) It sounds like you already have a nice plan for your training. Just by having a plan and getting out there and training, you are already being serious about it
2009-01-31 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1931980

User image

Expert
Computerland
Spartannat12 - 2009-01-27 3:19 PM

Thanks

I'm only an inch shorter then you (at 5'1") and I ride a 47 cm frame. My mom is 5'3" and she rides a 51 cm frame. You would probably be somewhere in between (depending on the type of bike and your body proportions). If you go to a bike shop, they will let you test ride different frames and you will be able to see what works for you.

Just remember: if you don't feel in control of the bike, the frame is probably too big for you. The first bike I tried was a 51 cm frame and I felt like I was going to fall over. Just trust the bike shop person and your own body and you will find a bike size that works for you.
2009-02-01 8:21 PM

New user
Subject: RE: Amyro's group- Closed

With all this talk about bikes, now's probably the time to ask about using my mountain bike.  I'm not too big a fan of buying a new bike since I don't have the funds, nor do I see myself doing enough races to justify the purchase.    Any suggestions on how I can "spruce" up what I have?  I'm considering clips on my pedals and possibly arm bars/rests

2009-02-02 5:47 PM

New user
Well for the first time since the fall, I finally managed to take advantage of the nicer weather we're having in Southwestern Ontario and went for a run OUTSIDE!!  Definately much better than the boring tredmill.  Bring on spring

2009-02-03 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1940418

User image

Expert
Computerland
blue_stars01 - 2009-02-01 9:21 PM

With all this talk about bikes, now's probably the time to ask about using my mountain bike.  I'm not too big a fan of buying a new bike since I don't have the funds, nor do I see myself doing enough races to justify the purchase.    Any suggestions on how I can "spruce" up what I have?  I'm considering clips on my pedals and possibly arm bars/rests

Clip on petals and arm rests would be good for your mountain bike. You can also try putting on "slicks". Those are road bike tires that give you the feel of riding on a road bike, with out actually being on one. Another suggestion is a bike computer, if you want to know your speed and distance.
2009-02-03 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1942091

User image

Expert
Computerland
blue_stars01 - 2009-02-02 6:47 PM

Well for the first time since the fall, I finally managed to take advantage of the nicer weather we're having in Southwestern Ontario and went for a run OUTSIDE!!  Definately much better than the boring tredmill.  Bring on spring

Nicer weather and spring would be SO great right now. It is about 20 degrees and lightly snowing in Ohio right now.

How is the weather and training everywhere else right now?
2009-02-19 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Hi! This group has been dead for a while. Sorry about that!

Since most people in this group are doing their first triathlon this spring/summer, I was wondering if anybody had any questions about what to expect from their first race (i.e. what a triathlon is like, equipment to bring, what to do once you arrive, etc.). I'll be glad to answer them. I know I had a lot of questions before my first triathlon!
2009-04-01 4:06 AM

Hi everyone,

This thread has been dead for over a month!!! How's everyone doing?

A little bit of update on myself, i have done 2 biathlons (swim + run) in sunny Singapore. Swim timing is decent (around 30 minutes for 1.5km swim, Amyro any advise on how to improve this? is this my stroke or open water swim technique? my pool timing is still around 4:30 for 250 metre), run timing is a disaster.

I'm still constantly falling behind while cycling with my group. But the good thing is i have finally changed to spinning on smaller chain ring on a straight road instead of bashing on bigger chain ring. Something that i need to really improve on is going upslope, because that's where the gap between me and the group increases. Any suggestion or recommended exercise?

I know it's kinda obvious that it's probably my training wheels being dumb-bell-ish crazy. But i do not have the $$$ to get more decent wheels now and i would like to think that it's not the ride, it's the rider! I'm going to keep imagining the day when i climb so fast with my current set up that cost less than 20% of their ride and the look of shock on their faces.

That's about all for now. Update us on yourself and give me some training ideas.

Cheers.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amyro's group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 2