BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-04-23 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1357226

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!
PirateGirl - 2008-04-23 11:53 AM

And with that, our group is full at 7! We've pulled away from the dock and the ship has sailed with our group.

The final roll call:

PirateGirl - Elaine
movingsouth - Cynthia
Big Mama - TJ
Schrup - Paul
wgraves7582 - Bill
Javamom - Lisa
azelizabeth - Elizabeth
nevergivin - Stuart

For those that didn't make it on the ship, don't worry. There are plenty of good mentors here on BT with openings still. They really are a great group of people.

And with that, our group can get rolling. This is exciting! First, it's easy to check on each other if you add each person in the group as a "friend" in you BT blog. If you've never done that before, just click on the Control Panel (the top Quick Link next to the calendar) and click the "Friends" tab and type everyone in on each line. Click "Apply" and you'll see them under your training summary in your blog. I'm also going to link this thread in my blog so that it's easy to find each day I open my blog.

There aren't any rules or anything in this thread. It's pretty much an open conversation. The thread will get long, so I usually try to use the "Quote" feature to keep track of where I'm replying, especially when I want to have multiple conversations. Sort of like the crazy Thread About Nothing (TAN) thread in Cup of Joe.

I want to encourage everyone to participate and offer advice. We can all learn from each other, which is why this is fun. It's helpful to keep this thread live with weekly updates, topics on just about anything, etc. Mentor groups tend to dwindle if no conversation is going on. So my goal is to keep the conversation going, even if I'm just talking to myself.

YAY!! I am SO excited!!! Thank you so much!!! I have been using my logs pretty diligently and would LOVE feedback from everyone when we are up and rolling! :>D I will do the same if others want it.

2008-04-23 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1356989

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - OPEN
PirateGirl - 2008-04-23 10:53 AM

Javamom - 2008-04-23 8:44 AM

I would love to be in your group!! I am also in Arizona. I just completed my second tri and I am currently training for Tempe International Olympic distance. After I complete Tempe International I plan to turn my focus to weight loss for a few months and then train for SOMA and PF Chang's in the fall. I am going to hit reply real quick to see if I got a spot. LOL

Welcome to our group Lisa!

You're in Chandler? Sweet! We'll have to meet sometime! Feels like I'm up in that neck of the woods for a race practically every month.

The Tempe International Oly is a great race. The women's waves are nice and small, and so you don't get kicked and beat up as much during the swim. It does get warm in the afternoon on race day, but hey, being a Zonie you're used to that.

I'm thinking about SOMA too. Last year it was 98 on race day which was freakishly warm. I need to beat that race down! But it's not until October, so I'll have time to think about it. October seems SOOO far away right now.

That makes 2 spots left. We're starting to hoist the main sail!

I heard that about SOMA last year. GULP! I am a little concerned about the heat at Tempe International but I hope to be acclimated by then. Even this mornings run felt warm to me. I am looking forward to our group!
2008-04-23 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1351583

User image

Master

I have a training plan re-arrange question...Don't snicker at my numbers (I know you wouldn't!), this is ~weeks 5-8 of a couch to sprint 11 week program; I'm in awe of swim workouts of thousands of yds in one session )

The middle part of the plan calls for, e.g.,

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
OFF
Run 30 min
Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds Run 40 mins
Bike 15 miles

My pool is open better hours on Tues/Thurs so my thought is to change things around this way...

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
OFF
Swim 400 Yds
BRICK  Swim 400 Yds Run 30 mins
 Bike 15 miles Run 40 mins

But is that too much 3 days in a row at the weekend? 

Make Friday the day off instead? 

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
Run 30 mins  Swim 400 Yds
BRICK  Swim 400 Yds OFF
Run 40 minsBike 15 miles

Or get up early and swim W/F as per the original plan?  or just shift the schedule one day earlier and make sunday the day off?  Did you follow all that??  argh! 

Am I thinking too much? 

2008-04-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1357620

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
movingsouth - 2008-04-23 1:44 PM

I have a training plan re-arrange question...Don't snicker at my numbers (I know you wouldn't!), this is ~weeks 5-8 of a couch to sprint 11 week program; I'm in awe of swim workouts of thousands of yds in one session )

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
OFF
Run 30 min
Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds Run 40 mins
Bike 15 miles

My pool is open better hours on Tues/Thurs so my thought is to change things around this way...

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
OFF
Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds Run 30 mins

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
Run 30 mins Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds OFF
Run 40 minsBike 15 miles

Or get up early and swim W/F as per the original plan? or just shift the schedule one day earlier and make sunday the day off? Did you follow all that?? argh!

Am I thinking too much?

I think you would be fine to move it! I constantly shuffle my days around...I just try to get it all in before the week is over. The most important thing for me is to not run on back to back days. I am not sure if I am right though..but I thought I would throw an answer out to start the discussion. :>D
2008-04-23 3:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-23 3:07 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Elaine, One of the things I am most anxious about right now is the wetsuit situation. I do not own one. What are your feelings about me needing one for Tempe International Tri? I didn't want to buy one if I was only going to use it once or twice a year but my DH said to go ahead if it was going to be a better experience for me. So any advice would be helpful. If you feel I really need one then I don't even know where to start shopping for one.

2008-04-23 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1357286

Elite
Tucson, AZ

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-23 10:11 AM

Alright let me pose this question that I am contemplating:

My ultimate goal is to do Umstead 100 - 100 mile trail run in Virginia next year or 2010. So I have been training since January 2007 and am doing the Buffalo Marathon May 25th. There is an endurance race this sunday where you run as far as you can in 6 hours and I was contemplating 10 laps = 32.5 miles at a slow pace (zone 2 (upper level only)).

How do you feel about being recovered come Marathon time? I believe I have the base to do it if I go slow and just utilize it as a real long run but I don't want to be dead come May 25th either. Thoughts (besides I am nuts!)?

I think it all depends on how disciplined you would be during Sunday's race, and how important the Marathon in May is. If you get out there Sunday and decide on the fly during the race to go faster or do more laps, you'll impact your recovery. If your marathon in May is a key one (like your A race or something), then you may want to do less and make sure you're really recovered. You'd have 4 weeks to recover, and there are folks that do marathons every month. You know your body best, and if you think that you can recover in that time, then what the heck. You could always treat this as a high mileage week and then taper down from there.

Wow! 100 mile trail run. I can't imagine!

2008-04-23 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1357643

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Javamom - 2008-04-23 11:53 AM
movingsouth - 2008-04-23 1:44 PM

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
OFF
Run 30 min
Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds Run 40 mins
Bike 15 miles

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
OFF
Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds Run 30 mins

MonTue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
Run 30 mins Swim 400 Yds
BRICK Swim 400 Yds OFF
Run 40 minsBike 15 miles

Or get up early and swim W/F as per the original plan? or just shift the schedule one day earlier and make sunday the day off? Did you follow all that?? argh!

Am I thinking too much?

I think you would be fine to move it! I constantly shuffle my days around...I just try to get it all in before the week is over. The most important thing for me is to not run on back to back days. I am not sure if I am right though..but I thought I would throw an answer out to start the discussion. :>D

X2! I shuffle my planned workouts around all the time. I don't think I've ever followed a weekly BT plan as it's laid out in the plan. You have to schedule around pools being open, work, home life, etc. I just try to keep from piling big workouts back-to-back, like 2 run days in a row.

If you made Friday the day off, you're keeping about the same amount of time in between the 2 runs. The Monday off one has a run, bike, run, and you may be more tired on Monday. But if you can swing it, go for it. I like having Mondays off. Those are the days I recover from the weekend, plan my week, and re-shuffle workouts.

2008-04-23 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1357702

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Javamom - 2008-04-23 12:07 PM

Elaine, One of the things I am most anxious about right now is the wetsuit situation. I do not own one. What are your feelings about me needing one for Tempe International Tri? I didn't want to buy one if I was only going to use it once or twice a year but my DH said to go ahead if it was going to be a better experience for me. So any advice would be helpful. If you feel I really need one then I don't even know where to start shopping for one.

When I did Tempe, the water was too warm for a wetsuit. The cutoff is 78 degrees, and today the lake was up to 69. Keep an eye on this link: http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Water/ "Current Lake Status" in green down below has the daily water temp.

Have you done open water swims without a wetsuit before? They do offer some flotation, but you gotta get used to the constricting feeling they give. Some folks freak out over the constriction around the neck and can't swim with them on for awhile, until they get used to it. So if you get one, do it soon to start getting used to it. That way you can also figure out where it might chafe you and where you'll need BodyGlide.

People with wetsuits are usually faster than those without. Sometimes I see distance swimmers in races that race in bathing suits, but they are fish people that have been swimming a long time. So if the race is wetsuit legal and you have one, it's usually best to wear it. There are lots of OW swim tris in AZ, so if you keep racing, you'll get your use out of it.

I went with a sleeveless suit instead of a full sleeved suit. I get warm and for those races that are barely below the cutoff temp I'm glad I have it as I would overheat in a full suit. I don't notice my arms being chilly in cold water once I get going. I've swam in 55 degree water in my wetsuit and been fine. It's all personal preference.

I'm not sure about the tri shops in the PHX area, but if you're ever down here in Tucson, definitely hit TriSports.com. They have an endless pool in the store where you can try on all sorts of different wetsuits and actually swim in them to see what works and what fits best.

2008-04-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1357702

Veteran
Tacoma
Javamom - 2008-04-23 1:07 PM
If you feel I really need one then I don't even know where to start shopping for one.

I have no idea if you can get by without one. I'm just chiming in that I was patient & waited for the right deal to come along & got a great deal on a brand new full Blue Seventy Reaction for $140 last Feb. I found this suit through one of the gear threads on this board while asking for advise. Someone posted a link to a vender that had a clearance sale going on. I ordered last year's model & got a call the next day saying they were out, but that if I wanted to wait a few weeks they would give me an 08 model at the same price.

Money is tight for me, so I'm trying to slowly aquire everything I need. Yesterday I snagged a pair of Vision TT clip ons for my bike that retail for $119. I had been looking for about a month.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=22022531922...

I got these shoes & they looked brand new & work perfect. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=18022534327...

I'm a bargain hunter & have found that patience is the key, especially on ebay. People post great deals on the main board all the time, I've seen some for wetsuits lately.

Now I'm stalking seats & wheelsets.
2008-04-24 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1358164

2008-04-24 10:33 AM

Veteran
Tacoma
Are Xterras crashfests? I've read a couple of race reports from local Xterras & it kinda sounded that way. I have a decent hardtail MTB that I converted (solid fork & slicks) for street. There are several Xterra events around here, but I have no MTB experience. I don't mind being a BoPer, I'm wondering if I need a shock on the forks & how brutal one of these events would be for me with no MTB experience. I really don't want to buy a fork for my MTB & the old one is unuseable.
2008-04-24 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1359288

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Schrup - 2008-04-24 7:33 AM

Are Xterras crashfests? I've read a couple of race reports from local Xterras & it kinda sounded that way. I have a decent hardtail MTB that I converted (solid fork & slicks) for street. There are several Xterra events around here, but I have no MTB experience. I don't mind being a BoPer, I'm wondering if I need a shock on the forks & how brutal one of these events would be for me with no MTB experience. I really don't want to buy a fork for my MTB & the old one is unuseable.

The Xterra courses are usually "intermediate" level mountain bike courses. I definitely don't recommend doing one without solid skills on a MTB. There will be hills, which is where beginners usually have trouble, especially downhills. MTBing requires different body english than road biking, and there's a lot more standing and moving your weight around to make the bike respond. So I think the reason they are known as crashfests is because folks jump in without knowing how to really ride a MTB.

A hardtail is fine to learn on, but you'll definitely want a good suspension fork. Folks can ride fully rigid (no suspension front or rear) on some courses, but they usually have good skills and know how to move the bike around under them to get over stuff that you can plow over with suspension.

I would recommend that if you want to try one in the future, put a suspension fork on your MTB and start to hit some trails. I think there are some Xterra "Sport" races in your area, which are shorter and easier and geared more towards those new to Xterra. Definitely jump into one of those first before a full Xterra.

The Xterra courses I've ridden in AZ, the course layout folks pride themselves on putting "interesting" things in the course. One course has a ton of deep sand washes to ride through, and a technical, steep hill climb up ATV trails that even the pros have to walk. The other has a long downhill descent down a rutted Jeep hill (I hit 34 mph on that one), and log crossings that you have to hike a bike over and under. There's also a log garden where you pretty much have to ride over a bunch of 6 - 8" diameter logs to make it through the fastest. Slower folks walk it, but it's a LONG way to walk.

Anyways, you'll have more fun in Xterra and won't crash as much the better you know how to ride a MTB. Some jump in and do one and walk a lot of the bike course after multiple crashes and never  want to do another Xterra again. We don't want that.

2008-04-24 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1359358

Elite
Tucson, AZ
PirateGirl - 2008-04-24 7:49 AM

The other has a long downhill descent down a rutted Jeep hill (I hit 34 mph on that one), and log crossings that you have to hike a bike over and under.

I found a pic of the log course with the mandatory hike-a-bike. All in the spirit of Xterra!

2008-04-24 12:08 PM

Kansas
Oh, man! I went out to run today thinking that it would be a good run and I thought I was gonna die. Guess it was one of those days that it just wasn't gonna be. I had the heart to but the body wasn't going to. I ran a little over two miles in 25 minutes and my plan was to go 50 minutes today. Maybe I'll wait a day and try it again on Saturday.  The past two weeks previous to this were so incredibly busy for me because I was helping with the 5K race that I didn't get in a lot of training.  I'm probably just going to have to do some catching up to where I was.  Making me a tad nervous as I'm exactly 7 weeks out from my tri. 
2008-04-24 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1359609

Master

Big Mama - 2008-04-24 10:08 AM  I'm exactly 7 weeks out from my tri.

Ack!  when you put it that way I see I'm 8 weeks from mine!

It's good to have your heart in it!  lately I've felt like my body is willing but my spirit lacking as I'm TIRED of caregiving to myself and the rest of the sick family members.  Can the colds just stop? 

I see your logs you have been low on recent training.  don't be too hard on yourself for today's run!   25 mins is good for little recent training!  Are you doing run/walk repeats?  My plan had me start at 1/1 minutes of run/walk, now I'm at 5/1 run/walks.  My MPH has increased slightly, but my breathlessness and fatigue is waaaay better.

2008-04-24 1:26 PM

Veteran
Tacoma
Thanks Elaine, I've got enough to learn for now. I think I'll wait a bit before I try the MTB thing. I just got to where I'm not crashing anymore on the street, tired of the healing proccess.

TJ, it's always good to listen to your body, I didn't last year & seemed to be injuried half the time.

Edited by Schrup 2008-04-24 1:26 PM
2008-04-24 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1359822

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-04-24 10:12 AM

Big Mama - 2008-04-24 10:08 AM  I'm exactly 7 weeks out from my tri.

Ack!  when you put it that way I see I'm 8 weeks from mine!

Just think...you guys have about another 2 months to train. No need to freak out yet. Save that for the 2 week mark.

TJ - I'm guessing you're feeling the effects of the break. I have a feeling that if you keep at it, in a few days you'll feel much better. Just try to get good solid training in over those next 7 weeks. Try to stay "in the pink."

2008-04-24 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1359876

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Schrup - 2008-04-24 10:26 AM

Thanks Elaine, I've got enough to learn for now. I think I'll wait a bit before I try the MTB thing. I just got to where I'm not crashing anymore on the street, tired of the healing proccess.

Yeah, unfortunately crashing is inevitable when learning the MTB. But I can tell you dirt is softer than asphalt.

2008-04-24 2:14 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Does anyone have a big, hairy goal in the sky? You know those ones that you're afraid to even think about because they are so big and scary, but yet it's tucked in the back of your mind? And you think "It's stupid to even think about doing this!"

I just had one hit me today. I'm looking into what it takes to qualify for the Xterra world championships in a few years. EEEKKK! See, it's scary to even write. I haven't done a full Xterra in years, and when I did I was really slow. Like DFL slow. Oh yeah, they were picking up the aid stations behind me that day. But now I'm seeing an improvement in fitness, and I have quite a few Xterras on the plan for this year. So we'll see how it goes. This is a several-year goal, not one I'm going to do tomorrow. Maybe I'll get the guts to put it in my "long term goals" in my blog. Not yet though. I know there's a lottery, but first I want to try to qualify. The lottery is Plan B. Maybe.

Anyone else want to confess a crazy pie in the sky goal? I can't be the only insane one.

2008-04-24 2:23 PM

Edited by wgraves7582 2008-04-24 2:38 PM

2008-04-24 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1358198

Master
Wisteria Lane
PirateGirl - 2008-04-23 5:07 PM

Javamom - 2008-04-23 12:07 PM

When I did Tempe, the water was too warm for a wetsuit. The cutoff is 78 degrees, and today the lake was up to 69. Keep an eye on this link: http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Water/ "Current Lake Status" in green down below has the daily water temp.

Have you done open water swims without a wetsuit before? They do offer some flotation, but you gotta get used to the constricting feeling they give. Some folks freak out over the constriction around the neck and can't swim with them on for awhile, until they get used to it. So if you get one, do it soon to start getting used to it. That way you can also figure out where it might chafe you and where you'll need BodyGlide.

People with wetsuits are usually faster than those without. Sometimes I see distance swimmers in races that race in bathing suits, but they are fish people that have been swimming a long time. So if the race is wetsuit legal and you have one, it's usually best to wear it. There are lots of OW swim tris in AZ, so if you keep racing, you'll get your use out of it.

I went with a sleeveless suit instead of a full sleeved suit. I get warm and for those races that are barely below the cutoff temp I'm glad I have it as I would overheat in a full suit. I don't notice my arms being chilly in cold water once I get going. I've swam in 55 degree water in my wetsuit and been fine. It's all personal preference.

I'm not sure about the tri shops in the PHX area, but if you're ever down here in Tucson, definitely hit TriSports.com. They have an endless pool in the store where you can try on all sorts of different wetsuits and actually swim in them to see what works and what fits best.

Thank you for all of the help. I am going OWS tonight for the first time. It's my first time going out so my goal is just to get in and swim a bit. I am going to try to do it even if it's freezing. I will definitely buy a wetsuit eventually but if I am not worried about my time then it sounds like I will be ok at this race without it. Then I would have time to shop around and find a deal on one? If not I am thinking I might rent one for that weekend. Thoughts?
2008-04-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #1358203

Master
Wisteria Lane
Schrup - 2008-04-23 5:10 PM

Javamom - 2008-04-23 1:07 PM
If you feel I really need one then I don't even know where to start shopping for one.

I have no idea if you can get by without one. I'm just chiming in that I was patient & waited for the right deal to come along & got a great deal on a brand new full Blue Seventy Reaction for $140 last Feb. I found this suit through one of the gear threads on this board while asking for advise. Someone posted a link to a vender that had a clearance sale going on. I ordered last year's model & got a call the next day saying they were out, but that if I wanted to wait a few weeks they would give me an 08 model at the same price.

Money is tight for me, so I'm trying to slowly aquire everything I need. Yesterday I snagged a pair of Vision TT clip ons for my bike that retail for $119. I had been looking for about a month.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=22022531922...

I got these shoes & they looked brand new & work perfect. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=18022534327...

I'm a bargain hunter & have found that patience is the key, especially on ebay. People post great deals on the main board all the time, I've seen some for wetsuits lately.

Now I'm stalking seats & wheelsets.

Thank you!! I am a bargain kind of person myself. Other then my bike I have gotten some great deals. So I will be watching ebay and the forums for a wetsuit. Thanks!!
2008-04-24 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1359994

Master
Wisteria Lane
PirateGirl - 2008-04-24 1:14 PM

Does anyone have a big, hairy goal in the sky? You know those ones that you're afraid to even think about because they are so big and scary, but yet it's tucked in the back of your mind? And you think "It's stupid to even think about doing this!"

I just had one hit me today. I'm looking into what it takes to qualify for the Xterra world championships in a few years. EEEKKK! See, it's scary to even write. I haven't done a full Xterra in years, and when I did I was really slow. Like DFL slow. Oh yeah, they were picking up the aid stations behind me that day. But now I'm seeing an improvement in fitness, and I have quite a few Xterras on the plan for this year. So we'll see how it goes. This is a several-year goal, not one I'm going to do tomorrow. Maybe I'll get the guts to put it in my "long term goals" in my blog. Not yet though. I know there's a lottery, but first I want to try to qualify. The lottery is Plan B. Maybe.

Anyone else want to confess a crazy pie in the sky goal? I can't be the only insane one.

IMAZ before 2011!!!!!!! I am thinking this is the year of the Olympic distance, next year HIM, and then hopefully 2010 IMAZ. Oh a girl can dream..right? LOL

Speaking of freaking out, my OLY is less then a month away? I haven't registered yet because I am so nervous...about what I don't know. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! :>D

That would be so awesome about the Xterra championship, Elaine!! Awesome goal!!
2008-04-24 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1360012

Elite
Tucson, AZ

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-24 11:23 AM

Don't laugh - you guys are only the 2nd or 3rd person('s) to know about my GDR goal. My SO would kick me out of the house if I brought it up to her so I slowly train as much as I can trying to get a level of endurance close to even being able to muster up the b***s to sign up, much less get to the start line!

Don't worry Bill, your secret is safe with us. I need to break the news to my hubby about the Xterra WC one. He survived me training for IMAZ (twice) so maybe this will be just another drop in the bucket of "Elaine's insanity."

I can totally see how IM would be more "realistic" over GDR. Yes, they are both crazy, but a different level of crazy. There's more folks doing IMs now, so it helps to see people finish and think "hey, they did it, I can too". And there's a lot more support for IM. Training plans, coaches, nutrition, etc. it's all available for doing an IM. Race day has a ton of support in IM. But GDR is a whole other level. There's a lot more fear of the unknown for a race like that. But that's part of the allure. What an accomplishment that would be!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's palms are sweating when typing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15