BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2008-05-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1364886

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed

Hi Everyone,

So I'm logging in from India and I am beginning to freak out because I am not getting training time in. Plus, the food is very good, so I keep eating. I'm afraid that after I finish my 2 weeks here, I'll be back to square one! Anyway, I'm trying to squeeze in little bits of exercise between flights and meetings, but it's hard!

Libby, I saw you'll be in Australia this summer? What are your plans for training while traveling? I was thinking of working some bike tours and hikes into excursions that we are doing, but my work colleagues aren't really up for it. 

Laura, thanks for the encouragement! It's cool that you were just here for Shamrock Shuffle.

Lou- it's great to see you're from Chicago, too! I'm in the Lakeview area, not too far from you. I've been doing private swim lessons at the DePaul fitness center. If you're interested, I could recommend an instructor and check to see if I can help you get a slot. (They've had a long wait list lately...)

Swim lessons have really helped me because before January I didn't swim anything but breast stroke (and even that poorly!) I had set a goal of re-learning to swim this year and that's really what led in to the tri stuff. When I talked to people about swimming they would often recommend going for the full tri. At first I totally shrugged it off as not something I would do. But now I am embracing it as just the next level of challenge.

2008-05-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1375784

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by FutureIronGirl17 2008-05-29 12:37 PM
2008-05-01 3:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Jennifer - Hope your swim class goes well tonight!  Looking forward to hearing about it! 

Lou - I think you might find your childhood swimming experience may actually translate more than you expect!  I never swam competitively as a kid but did take years of swim lessons (and was more than comfortable in open water, having grown up near the ocean and spending lots of time in a bay and lake), which I think gave me a good headstart when I got into swimming seriously last year.

Mitch - Thanks for the cycling advice!  I've prescribed to the time-in-the-saddle as being most important for improving my cycling, too.  I don't get as much of that as I'd like right now, but I'm hoping that may change when we move (better/more areas to ride in).  I also agree with training in each of the 3 disciplines 2-3 times a week.  That's been especially beneficial for me with swimming - I try to always do that 3 times a week.  I notice a big difference in how well I swim if I drop to only twice a week in the pool.

Marcy - Wow, India!  I bet that's interesting!  Good for you getting in whatever workouts you can!

Libby - That is great that you're studying abroad!  I had a few friends who did that (including one who studied in Australia) and I have to say I wish now that I had too!

2008-05-02 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1376112

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Hello Group,

Hope everyone has a great weekend...for those doing races, GOOD LUCK ON RACE DAY!!!!......for those training, TRAIN HARD...I hope the weather is nice and you enjoy whatever it is you are doing Smile

Edited by jsoza 2008-05-02 3:13 PM
2008-05-04 3:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had great weekends, whether you were training or racing....and I want to hear all about it!! 

2008-05-05 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1380745

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Good morning EVERYONE,

My training was not bad considering we took the family to grandma's house.  We left on Saturday so I ran before that and we got back Sunday afternoon so I ran in the dark.  I did discover some discouraging news. On the way out of town I checked the distance that I run with the car and found I was not running as far as I thought.  No big deal, I updated my logs with the new distance.  The good thing is I found it out now at the beginning of my training.

2008-05-05 10:11 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

Hope everyone had a great weekend..and i'm still alive from swim class. 

I am verry happy to say that swim class went well.  I learned countless things at class and am ready to get back in the water.  I know this is going to be hard but i am willing to do tons of work to help myself...so if anyone has words of wisdom in swimming..bring it!!!!...PLEASE!!!

I hope you guys got in somr good workouts this weekend, I was unable to do any training over the weekend, my mother is having some health problems and i had to stay with her all weekend, so I am excited to get to the gym today. 

Well everyone have a great week and keep up the good hard work!!

2008-05-05 10:19 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI
P.S. how do you add someone as ur friend?
2008-05-05 11:52 AM

Master
Had a good workout on Saturday. Best brick I've done with the best mile pace for a 3 mile run this year. Mowed the lawn on Sat and Sunday and didn't get to the gym as planned to swim on Sunday. Swam this morning and lifted. Maybe run this afternoon or for sure tomorrow.
2008-05-05 11:58 AM

2008-05-05 12:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Glad to hear that everyone survived the weekend and some even got some great training in!

John - Sorry you learned you were running a little less than you had thought!  But yes, definitely better to know now so you can readjust your running routes in the future.  Also, both BT's Route Tracker and www.mapmyrun.com are good ways to map out routes and find out more precise distances.  Also useful if you're running in an area you're not familiar with (when you're out of town, for example).

Jennifer - Glad to hear you survived swimming class!  Honestly, take each thing you've learned and work on one at a time.  Over time, you'll find you're able to put more of the pieces together at once.  Just putting the time in in the pool is all it takes to improve at this stage of the game.  Also, to add links to others' blogs to your training log page, go to the Control Panel under the Quick Links next to the May calendar on your training log page.  Then click on the Friends tab and enter in the names and click Apply at the bottom.  Hope that helps!

Libby - Studying IS a bummer of a way to spend the weekend, but you're almost done!  YAY!  I also can't wait for Friday even though it's only Monday.  Seems to be the usual situation.  haha

Mitch -  Great job with that brick!!

Lou - Looking forward to hearing about the half-marathon!

Sherist and Marcy - hope you had good weekends too!

Happy training this week, everyone!  I'll be around for questions/comments/advice/time-wasting banter.

2008-05-06 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1382396

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Thanks Everyone,

Wow...this is the most I have trainined in a long time.  This group is great place for motivation and support for me.  I trained alone last year and it was hard to keep up with the training.  It was very easy for me to find excuses not to train.  This year even though I will still train alone, I know I will not be alone.  I know that is soooo cheesy.  It sounds like those life alerts commericals.  

2008-05-06 11:37 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

I have another swim class tonight...yeah!  It is not as bad as i thought it was going to be so i'm pretty happy about that.  More things to learn and remember. 

John - i too am training by myself.  Its very easy to talk yourslef of not going to the gym, but at the same time i keep telling myself summer is right around the block!! i dont have a hard time going to the gym, lately i am having a hard time eating right.  I am not a junk food eater at all, but you would never know that after the past few weeks

Hope everyone has a great week this week

2008-05-06 10:13 PM

Chicago, IL

Hi all,

Just logged on after being in Cincy until yesterday. There was a lot to catch up on! The half marathon on Sunday was awesome. I set a new PR, 2:31:58 (8 minutes faster than my last half). And on a hilly course too! I would recommend the Flying Pig to anyone -- so well organized, beautiful course, lots of fun. It really got me pumped up for my upcoming races.

Today officially began my triathlon training. And, I got in a pool for the first time in forever today! I swam 300 meters. Not bad. I feel stronger than I thought I would stroke-wise, but I was completely out of breath. I am going to look into those swim classes at DePaul I think (thanks for the info Marcy). Also did a 15 minute run after my swim (on the treadmill). The run was slow, my legs are still a little tired from the race, but I was able to bike home (5 miles). Does that count as a triathlon? Smile Tomorrow the schedule calls for 6 miles of biking and I'll probably meet with my trainer for an hour. I'll probably count the ride to work as the training.

Have a great Wednesday all!

2008-05-07 9:00 AM

Master
Lou - Great job on the half-marathon! Sounds like you had a great time. Double congrats on getting back into the pool. I find swimming to be the most challenging but hopefully easier the more I do it.

I'm pretty pumped today as last night I ran over 6 miles for the first time in my life. Here's a question - how do you slow yourself down. I was trying to run slower to keep my heart rate a bit lower but I can never maintain a slower pace....maybe ultimately I'm too competitive with myself...but I really struggle to run slower paces (not that my normal pace is fast....)

Edited by dangremond 2008-05-07 9:01 AM
2008-05-07 10:58 AM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Lou- CONGRATS!!! on your half-marathon PR!  That's fantastic!  And way to get right into the tri training this week!  Sounds like you're off to a good start - small and gradual progress in the swim and bike is definitely a good idea.  You'll get there!

Mitch- I don't have the BEST answer, as I often struggle with holding myself back while running, too.  Partly because I'm also competitive with myself, and partly because I solely run based on feel (I don't use a HR monitor).  I generally figure if I FEEL okay, then whatever pace my body is telling me to run must be okay.  But I know that's not necessarily always true, since we often don't feel the effects of a too-hard workout til later.  So if I feel myself running faster than I know I should, I'll take a couple seconds to re-group mentally and remember the purpose of whatever run I'm doing.  Is it recovery?  Long slow distance?  I re-focus my mind on that and initially slow down my pace by shortening my stride a little.

How's everyone else doing?  Don't forget to check in here as well as log your training in your training log!

2008-05-07 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1387097

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Laura,

I didn't get to train yesterday.....traveled out of town to see my daughter's last soccer game of the season....THEY WON!!!!....I think the day off was good....now my body is well rested and ready to train...hoping the weather holds up....it rained a little already but it stopped

2008-05-07 11:32 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

Congtars Lou - you have to be pretty ecxited about ur new record!!  I know that we'er all excited for you!! That's great motivation for yoruslef and others! 

Hope everyone's workout is going good as well

2008-05-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1387097

Master
I watch my heart rate but don't really train off of it. I guess I pretty much follow RPE. I can run a much higher heart rate than I cycle and feel fine. I was slowing down at the end of the run but felt like I could have gone on for a few more miles if necessary. Over time I'll just have to force myself to slow down, etc.
2008-05-07 8:23 PM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Hi Everybody,

Can anyone tell me what they have heard about Total Imerrsion?  Or would going to swim classes produce the same results

2008-05-07 10:18 PM

Regular
Chicago

Hi everybody,

Its good to read what everyone is doing! I can't wait to get back to the States on Monday and resume my routine! Until then, I am trying to grab any few minutes I can just to keep in shape. Its not much, but the upside is that I am getting used to swimming in many different pools. Hopefully it makes me more adaptable on race day!

Lou, the pig sounds like it was really fun!

Laura, I like your new pic!

Marcy

2008-05-07 11:12 PM

2008-05-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1388502

Master
I've bought and read the total immersion book. I've done about 50% of the drills and have since been working on building a swimming base. I was torn between spending time doing drills or swimming laps. Anyway....I think the concepts are very good and the drills are worth doing. The ones I completed definitely helped. I have heard that the DVD is very essential and maybe even better than getting the book.
2008-05-08 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1389273

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

Mitch,

Thanks for the information.  A DVD would be so much easier for me if the material is the same or even better.

2008-05-08 9:38 AM

Chicago, IL

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

Marcy, This morning I opened my inbox and had an email from Chicago Endurance Sports about swim classes at UIC. I have trained with CES for a few half marathons and last year's Chicago Marathon (which I DNF due to the course closure). Anyway, I figured it was a sign (from the email gods ???) and decided to go for it. So I'll be taking swim class there for the next six weeks. I'm excited!

Also, I don't know how many people check each other's training logs, but I'm just starting to get the hang of this site, so I'll start filling my info in as much as possible. This week's training is going to be a little spotty because I had the opportunity to transition my job responsibilities a bit at work (which is a good thing), and now I have a bunch of unforeseen meetings and dinners and all sorts of extra crap I really don't want to spend my time doing this week. I'll get back on track though.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Edited by loufromthepark 2008-05-08 9:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 12