of 14

2008-12-18 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1860414

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - OPEN
KrazyLegs - 2008-12-18 2:43 AM

I'd like to join as well. Long bio later. Here's the short one.

I live in Vancouver, but originally from San Francisco.

Love the bike, Like the swim, and put up with the run.

Sufering from a NIGHTMARE of a broken collarbone (4months and counting) from a cycling crash and am scheduled for surgery January 8th.  

AND I have a slot for Escape from Alcatraz!

I promise to fill in the long bio later

OUCH!!!

Well, maybe we can give you some encouragement as you go through your surgery and rehab.

2008-12-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1860428

User image

Master
New Jersey
stewartt - 2008-12-18 3:49 AM

Hi Walt

I need a goal and have always wanted to tri!

Did a few duathlons a few years back (run/ride/run) and in 2005 did the New Orleans Marathon (ran a bit, walked a bit, but finished).

Since then my wife has had our first child (boy, Evan, and yes, he's gorgeous) this year and I put on pounds while she was pregnant and I am tring to focus on ways to lose the blubber and get back to feeling fit(ish).

I am originally from Australia but now live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have so many great places in Marin County to hike or even run but not the energy, or, so the excuse goes, the time, to enjoy them.

I was a registered surf life saver as a kid in Oz so I love swimming but have a lot of "drag" now around the belly and the board shorts that go with it. Have access to a great pool though.

I'd like to train for one or two Sprint events this spring/summer. 

Cheers

Tony

Welcome Tony. Amazing how your wife's eating habits affected you!

But you know, if you train consistently, that "drag" you talk of will fade away.
2008-12-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1860434

User image

Master
New Jersey
daisymouse - 2008-12-18 5:26 AM

Munchkin outside playing soccer with his Dad so I have time now, about 20mins until bedtime

NAME Daisy

STORY Ex-Scot now living in Australia. Challenged by some friends to do a short sprint almost three years ago.  Learned to swim for it and had a blast - it was a women's event and very supportive.  Wanted to train more but was sick with colds for about 18months as my rubbish immune system adapted to a whole new cohort of viruses.  Did a Tri Beginner's Training course in Sept/Oct leading up to another women's event which was again great fun.  Started immediately on another course and got through most of it but have damaged a lumber disc so not doing the tri which is on Sunday, sniff.

FAMILY STATUS Married, one little boy, 4 almost 5.  Incredibly supportive husband who is an academic working about 60 hours a week.  Early mornings are a problem (husband routinely works till about 1am) but gym has a good creche which my Munchkin adores and I usually manage an early morning cycle at the weekend.  Want to continue training while working part-time when Munchkin goes to school full-time in Feb.

CURRENT TRAINING  Unfortunately with the back problem I've been swimming only but hope to return to cycling and running soon.  

WEIGHT LOSS 25lbs over the last year with about 15 still to go. Member of Team Skinny

WHY I NEED A MENTOR the back problem(and a long-running hip bursitis) and the closure of my gym on 31st December are just providing excuses for me to ease off training.  I really need some encouragement, especially to get through my injuries.  I had to pull out of the training course I had lined up for Jan/Feb.  Need some good advice and wise words.

Sorry to hear about the back problems Daisy. I guess patience is what you need most right now. I've been through it alot. It just seems that we'll NEVER get better. Are you under a doctor's care right now? I know my physical therapist is constantly on me about doing core work - abs and back - as those will help strengthen the back.
2008-12-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1860493

User image

Master
New Jersey
lforce - 2008-12-18 7:59 AM

looks like you're still open so why not

lforce- mike 29 yrs, single

decided 2 months ago to do a sprint tri with 2 others from work, both beginners as well, work kind've long hours but decided to start training with a goal of doing first sprint in feb

background- bit of cross country in high school, haven't run much since, swam competitively for 13 yrs but nothing after high school again, little bit of mountain biking the last 5 years but no road biking, just bought my first road bike and got out on the streets last week

races- just the sprint in feb and will take it from there but so far enjoying it and would like to hopefully look ahead to longer distances

seem to get busier and busier but trying to keep up on the site and log training to have something to refer back to

So you'll be the first one among us to race during this time. Feb isn't far away, but you sound like you're already halfway through the training. HOpe it's all going well. I bet the swimming is no problem.
2008-12-18 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1860546

User image

Master
New Jersey
tri_jean - 2008-12-18 8:48 AM

I've been waiting for the mentoring programs to open up! I'd love to join.

NAME: tri_jean or EJ

STORY: I've been trying to be athletic for about 7 years now, but my knee always stops me. I had surgery on my knee (just so I can run) in November and won't be able to do serious training until February. I am doing the triathlon for multiple reasons. One, it sounds challenging and impressive. Two, I will be in better shape. Three, I teach high school freshmen and it is a class activity. I am trying to be a role model for them. We'll see!

FAMILY STATUS: single

CURRENT TRAINING: I just started in September and was working out everyday until my knee couldn't take it. I was running 3x a week, swimming . . . sometimes . . . and biking 2-3x/week. I have been off for a couple of months, except for physical therapy, but I started lifting again yesterday and I need to come up with some other workouts I can do now.

2009 RACES: 1 sprint

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost 25 pounds over the past few years and I am trying to lose about 35 more (to weigh 150).  

Ok, so we got a second HS teacher on board.

And I guess you too need to just have patience. One of the hardest things to do. What are you allowed to do these days? Will you have a specific rehab program to follow?

Knees are tricky. Cycling is good for them though. Builds up the supporting muscles, which then helps with your running.
2008-12-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1860559

User image

Master
New Jersey
kcarroll - 2008-12-18 8:59 AM

Hi Walt, I'd like to join your group as well.

Name:  kcarroll: kim

Story:  got serious about getting fit a few years ago.  did my first tri (sprint) 2 years ago.  Last year did 2 sprints.  I hadn't swam at all since I was a kid, so took a total immersion workshop and loved it.  I'm still quite a slow swimmer, but I really do enjoy practicing.  My strength is on the bike, but I don't do much on the trainer over the winter.  I'm just starting to run again (had a nasty round of plantar fasciitis) and am trying to build up endurance and speed.  Slow is an overarching theme here.  My job requires a lot of travel, mostly international.  Sounds glamorous, but not really.  The hardest part is hotels in EU rarely have gyms and pools are impossible to find.  Running becomes the only real option on those trips.

I've never logged my workouts on the site, so will have to try and figure that out. I've historically kept a log at home and do train with hrm.  Just got the garmin 305 for early x-mas present, so looking forward to figuring out how to use.

Family Status:  single

Current training:  masters swim 2x week, running 9-12 miles week, strength training (kettlebells) 3x week, would like to fit in a yoga session or two but can't seem to find the time.

2009 races:  April - More half maration NYC (my first road race over a 5k),  May - Wycoff sprint (forgot to mention, I'm in NJ too.), July - NJ State (my first oly), August - SheRox Philly, September - Danskin NY metro   Still looking for something in June

Weightloss:  maybe 10lbs, but not if it means giving up pizza and beer 

Looking forward to this! 

Excellent. Another Jerseyan.

Sounds like you got a good understanding of training. Are you doing any cycling now? Maybe spinning?

And btw, Wyckoff is usually in June. I've done it a few times. Very crowded start, but a nice race.

Lastly, love the weightloss goal! I may have to borrow that.

2008-12-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1860592

User image

Master
New Jersey
mrhighside - 2008-12-18 9:21 AM

I'm in.... :-)

NAME: MrHighSide - Andy

STORY: Competed in athletics of all sorts all my life. Was always the slowest fast guy or the fastest slow guy. But I haven't competed in a long time and I miss it... :-)

Total noob here, looking to do a few Sprints and a Oly this year, drop a few pounds, and just get out and compete in something. As well as do something to take my mind off my own marital issues. I have 2 kids (4 yo girl and 7 yo boy).

I'm looking for random advice and a lot of motivation.

-Andy

Welcome Andy. Good to have you aboard.

Tri's will be good to get your mind away from things. Feel free to vent any frustration on the forum, or Private Message. And this really goes for anyone...We're going to be a team here and we'll support each other in tri stuff, and anything else that you want.

But, I'm sure you'll get a decent amount of tri-advice from everyone. Are you following any specific plan? Just winging it?

2008-12-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1860614

User image

Master
New Jersey
Jayfoe - 2008-12-18 9:32 AM

Walt, if you are still open I could use all the motivation I can get.

My story: I am 34 years old and have always enjoyed sports. I played basketball all through high school and rec. leagues followed, until i tore my ACL. I have had 2 knee surgeries (1992 and 2002) and pretty much gave up basketball after the second surgery. So i then took up cycling in 2005. I bought a nice road bike and rode a lot for 2yrs, then we had our first child and kind of gave that up also. Although I am a fairly strong swimmer I have never had to swim for distance so I know I need some work there, and running has never been fun for me. However, I have always wanted to compete in a tri, so this is the year I get motivated and actually do something about it.

Family: Married 6yrs, 1 toddler and 1 dog

Current training: pretty much just started. Run 2 miles twice a week (9 min pace), Ride trainer twice week  (30 mins) and joining the YMCA on 12/18 to start swimmig twice a week.

Weight loss: I weigh 207 and want to get below 200 for my first tri

2009 races: A couple of sprint tri's, hopefully the first one being Feb1st in Kentucky, just to see where I stand.

Thanks in advance:

Jay

Let me know if I can join 

Hi Jay and welcome.

If you have good form with your swimming, then the endurance aspect is the easy part. Running - we'll get through that.

And, we'll keep you motivated!!
2008-12-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #1861311

User image

New user

Yes sir another Jersey boy here exit 137. 

the 2 days a week run now is just to keep me moving, come Feb I'd like to modify Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training program making sure I keep the speedwork and long runs on Sunday and then add in one other run as a tempo/slightly harder than recovery. For now at 200LBS+ Im trying to save my shins/knees/feet until I can lose a few pounds. 

But this is why I joined as a mentee, I'm making this up as I go along- somewaht planned but no real direction just listening to my body as to what I can handle. 

Walt- 

I read part of your blog... P2C nice ride I got mine in Aug from Brielle and love it. Do you have the spacers on the handlebar stem? how many? I think I'm going to start taking ming out while I work on the trainer over the winter. Currently I have 4- maybe 1 every 2 weeks? 

Also love my sonic wing.. You just need to be flexable to hop on w/ the wing on. which wheelset did you get the Shimanos or the easton? 

2008-12-18 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1861678

User image

Master
New Jersey
bm1981 - 2008-12-18 3:05 PM

Yes sir another Jersey boy here exit 137. 

the 2 days a week run now is just to keep me moving, come Feb I'd like to modify Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training program making sure I keep the speedwork and long runs on Sunday and then add in one other run as a tempo/slightly harder than recovery. For now at 200LBS+ Im trying to save my shins/knees/feet until I can lose a few pounds. 

But this is why I joined as a mentee, I'm making this up as I go along- somewaht planned but no real direction just listening to my body as to what I can handle. 

Walt- 

I read part of your blog... P2C nice ride I got mine in Aug from Brielle and love it. Do you have the spacers on the handlebar stem? how many? I think I'm going to start taking ming out while I work on the trainer over the winter. Currently I have 4- maybe 1 every 2 weeks? 

Also love my sonic wing.. You just need to be flexable to hop on w/ the wing on. which wheelset did you get the Shimanos or the easton? 

Then you're not very far from me- maybe we can a ride in at some point.

I haven't been fitted yet for the bike. But, I sure am not going to take it out anytime soon with all the snow/grit that'll be on the ground. I was fitted alot more aggressively when I got my last bike, but I just never really felt comfortable. I'm hoping to ride more this winter - i prefer the outside to a trainer any day. As for the wheels, i just took the shimano's because I bought a pair of Hed's from a friend recently. Still have to switch them out.
2008-12-18 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1856606

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - CLOSED

Ok. Here's the long version as promised.

Name: KrazyLegs(given to me by BT Buddies)/ Jeni

Story: 26 years old doing my PhD in youth media in Vancouver.  Got into triathlons after I tore my ACL downhill skiing and after a few months of not being able to run all I wanted to do was run.  Bought a road bike as part of the rehab and fell in LOVE.  I swam competitiely as a kid and it has come right back.  

Last year I did a sprint tri, and was well on  my way to an olympic until I sprained a hip abductor in a 10km run.  So I focused on the swimming and got into road racing.  Won my age group in a 3km open water race and became a series winner in our local weekly criteriums.  I had started running and was well on my way to a 2:30 ish olympic when I went to go watch my BT friends compete in Iron Man Canada.  The day before I left them to go on a ride and joined up with a local roadie saturday ride.  At the end of an amazing ride with the boys the guy in front of me lost control as we were pacelining down a hill at 50kph.  I hit him and launched over the bars, loosing my negotiations with gravity and breaking my collar bone.  The ER doctor literally told me to "suck it up, princess" when I asked him what I should do, so that's what I did.  The next day I was cheering my friends on and rested for 2 weeks and stated being active again.  I was not referred to an orthopedic surgeon until a month after my injury which at that point the surgeon said we should play the odds and see if it will heal on its own since I was already a month into healing.  2 months later and there wasn't much sign of healing but I had range of motion back so the doctor was hesitant to do surgery and wanted to give it another month. And gave me clearence to ride-- just not fall over.   A month later there was signs of a non-union forming but the surgeon wanted to be sure so she ordered a CT scan.  A few weeks later and hindsight is 20/20- I didn't rest it long enough it has never healed forming a non-union.  So surgery is scheduled for January. I get a lovely plate put in. I am REALLY sick of waiting.  Although I am not in "pain" I am in a pretty constant state of discomfort right now.

Doctors should really never tell stubborn athletes to suck it up- we tend to follow their advice.  And yes, I have been on my bike :-p

Family: My family lives near Sacramento and I'm up here by myself but live in a reallyl cool graduate student residence we often call paradise.  It's hard to describe but we have a mansion as our common space and our own 4 star chef. I've landed a job as a breakfast baker here to help pay for school so my days are packed (although I am taking 2 months off to properly heal this time around!)

Current Training: I have been so frustrated for the last week I haven't done anything.  But before that I was on the trainer 3-4 days, and trying to run but my shouler aches after 2 miles. I was back on the road and did a couple very long rides.  Lots of easy workouts since hitting threshold tend to hurt right now.

RACES: So I entered for alcatraz and that's my big race.  I would also really like to improve my running and do a half mary this year and possibly a marathon(injury free of course!).  I am hoping to road race more and complete a stage race. We also have a open water relay swim across the bay hear in vanouer (its 10km) that I would like to do with some friends. But first I want to get my shoulder back to 100% as soon as possible!!!

Weight: With my ACL injury I gained 30 pounds.  I lost half of that, but also put on a lot of muscle, but with my shoulder I've put 10lbs back on so I will loose that... although being a baker with a sweet tooth really doesn't help.  I too want to loose weight without loosing the things we love... in my case Beer and chocolate!

2008-12-18 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1861511

Slidell/Pearl River
lol umm i dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, i think i read somewhere that i can make my training log public to "friends", if so i will try, maybe you could take a look at it.. up until a few weeks ago i was only doing weights with a mindset of putting on weight, blood pressure was a bit high, doc said try more cardio, or go on meds,  don't think he meant tri but that's where i ended up and so far so good, but 1 problem- had sore shoulder from working out a few months back, thought i was out of the woods then a few days ago came back to haunt me, now laying off of weights for 2 weeks ( i have been trying to keep up with the weights at the same time im training for tri even though i guess the extra pounds won't make things any easier) and thinking about a visit to doc to see if he thinks an mri would be a good idea.  doesnt affect any tri training except the swim, but a 400y swim shouldn't be an issue if i have to cut back for a bit...
2008-12-19 6:35 AM
in reply to: #1861495

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
runnerx - 2008-12-19 4:15 AM
daisymouse - 2008-12-18 5:26 AM

Munchkin outside playing soccer with his Dad so I have time now, about 20mins until bedtime

NAME Daisy

STORY Ex-Scot now living in Australia. Challenged by some friends to do a short sprint almost three years ago.  Learned to swim for it and had a blast - it was a women's event and very supportive.  Wanted to train more but was sick with colds for about 18months as my rubbish immune system adapted to a whole new cohort of viruses.  Did a Tri Beginner's Training course in Sept/Oct leading up to another women's event which was again great fun.  Started immediately on another course and got through most of it but have damaged a lumber disc so not doing the tri which is on Sunday, sniff.

FAMILY STATUS Married, one little boy, 4 almost 5.  Incredibly supportive husband who is an academic working about 60 hours a week.  Early mornings are a problem (husband routinely works till about 1am) but gym has a good creche which my Munchkin adores and I usually manage an early morning cycle at the weekend.  Want to continue training while working part-time when Munchkin goes to school full-time in Feb.

CURRENT TRAINING  Unfortunately with the back problem I've been swimming only but hope to return to cycling and running soon.  

WEIGHT LOSS 25lbs over the last year with about 15 still to go. Member of Team Skinny

WHY I NEED A MENTOR the back problem(and a long-running hip bursitis) and the closure of my gym on 31st December are just providing excuses for me to ease off training.  I really need some encouragement, especially to get through my injuries.  I had to pull out of the training course I had lined up for Jan/Feb.  Need some good advice and wise words.

Sorry to hear about the back problems Daisy. I guess patience is what you need most right now. I've been through it alot. It just seems that we'll NEVER get better. Are you under a doctor's care right now? I know my physical therapist is constantly on me about doing core work - abs and back - as those will help strengthen the back.

That's it, the fear that it'll never get better, when this disc problem started, I was in so much pain, I just couldn't move.  I've always been very active, mainly ballet (up until me early 20s) then running, biking, sailing and sport climbing so the thought of having a back injury scares the hell out of me.  I had this great plan all mapped out about how my first year 'serious' tri training was going to go and it's now stalled.  At the moment, no doctors involved, I was lucky to have an appointment with my PT scheduled the day after it happened so got in there immediately and the pain is fast receeding but my back feels very fragile.  She's a diamond, deals mainly with sports injuries and prevention but attached to a hospital so knows exactly who to turn to if the medicos need to be involved.  So glad that US immigration knocked her back due to her qualifications not quite 'matching'.  I get to keep her for a bit longer :-)

2008-12-19 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1862841

User image

Master
New Jersey
daisymouse - 2008-12-19 7:35 AM

That's it, the fear that it'll never get better, when this disc problem started, I was in so much pain, I just couldn't move.  I've always been very active, mainly ballet (up until me early 20s) then running, biking, sailing and sport climbing so the thought of having a back injury scares the hell out of me.  I had this great plan all mapped out about how my first year 'serious' tri training was going to go and it's now stalled.  At the moment, no doctors involved, I was lucky to have an appointment with my PT scheduled the day after it happened so got in there immediately and the pain is fast receeding but my back feels very fragile.  She's a diamond, deals mainly with sports injuries and prevention but attached to a hospital so knows exactly who to turn to if the medicos need to be involved.  So glad that US immigration knocked her back due to her qualifications not quite 'matching'.  I get to keep her for a bit longer :-)

It's all temporary. it'll get better. Once you heal up, start to think about doing more core work. I used to hurt my back alot doing stupid little things. Finally, I started incorporating more regular core work and things have been so much better. I still tweak my back every so often, but then I can look back in my log and see that I've been neglecting the core exercises. It's not about six-pack abs - the best benefits are hidden.

With all the debate that goes on in these threads about whether lifting is beneficial or not, everyone agrees that core work is vital!!

2008-12-19 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1862253

User image

Master
New Jersey
lforce - 2008-12-18 7:46 PM

lol umm i dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, i think i read somewhere that i can make my training log public to "friends", if so i will try, maybe you could take a look at it.. up until a few weeks ago i was only doing weights with a mindset of putting on weight, blood pressure was a bit high, doc said try more cardio, or go on meds,  don't think he meant tri but that's where i ended up and so far so good, but 1 problem- had sore shoulder from working out a few months back, thought i was out of the woods then a few days ago came back to haunt me, now laying off of weights for 2 weeks ( i have been trying to keep up with the weights at the same time im training for tri even though i guess the extra pounds won't make things any easier) and thinking about a visit to doc to see if he thinks an mri would be a good idea.  doesnt affect any tri training except the swim, but a 400y swim shouldn't be an issue if i have to cut back for a bit...

Mike - when you say "putting on weight", do you mean body weight, or going up in lbs that you lift?

There's so much debate about lifting or not. My personal feeling is, if it makes you feel good, then do it. But, you said it yourself....you really don't want bulk. Even the shortest run-only race, a 5k, is still an endurance event. If you lift, don't try to max out. Besides, if you got your race in a couple months, you should be at the point of just maintaining strength right now.
2008-12-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1862246

User image

Master
New Jersey
KrazyLegs - 2008-12-18 7:43 PM

Ok. Here's the long version as promised.

Name: KrazyLegs(given to me by BT Buddies)/ Jeni

Story: 26 years old doing my PhD in youth media in Vancouver.  Got into triathlons after I tore my ACL downhill skiing and after a few months of not being able to run all I wanted to do was run.  Bought a road bike as part of the rehab and fell in LOVE.  I swam competitiely as a kid and it has come right back.  

Last year I did a sprint tri, and was well on  my way to an olympic until I sprained a hip abductor in a 10km run.  So I focused on the swimming and got into road racing.  Won my age group in a 3km open water race and became a series winner in our local weekly criteriums.  I had started running and was well on my way to a 2:30 ish olympic when I went to go watch my BT friends compete in Iron Man Canada.  The day before I left them to go on a ride and joined up with a local roadie saturday ride.  At the end of an amazing ride with the boys the guy in front of me lost control as we were pacelining down a hill at 50kph.  I hit him and launched over the bars, loosing my negotiations with gravity and breaking my collar bone.  The ER doctor literally told me to "suck it up, princess" when I asked him what I should do, so that's what I did.  The next day I was cheering my friends on and rested for 2 weeks and stated being active again.  I was not referred to an orthopedic surgeon until a month after my injury which at that point the surgeon said we should play the odds and see if it will heal on its own since I was already a month into healing.  2 months later and there wasn't much sign of healing but I had range of motion back so the doctor was hesitant to do surgery and wanted to give it another month. And gave me clearence to ride-- just not fall over.   A month later there was signs of a non-union forming but the surgeon wanted to be sure so she ordered a CT scan.  A few weeks later and hindsight is 20/20- I didn't rest it long enough it has never healed forming a non-union.  So surgery is scheduled for January. I get a lovely plate put in. I am REALLY sick of waiting.  Although I am not in "pain" I am in a pretty constant state of discomfort right now.

Doctors should really never tell stubborn athletes to suck it up- we tend to follow their advice.  And yes, I have been on my bike :-p

Family: My family lives near Sacramento and I'm up here by myself but live in a reallyl cool graduate student residence we often call paradise.  It's hard to describe but we have a mansion as our common space and our own 4 star chef. I've landed a job as a breakfast baker here to help pay for school so my days are packed (although I am taking 2 months off to properly heal this time around!)

Current Training: I have been so frustrated for the last week I haven't done anything.  But before that I was on the trainer 3-4 days, and trying to run but my shouler aches after 2 miles. I was back on the road and did a couple very long rides.  Lots of easy workouts since hitting threshold tend to hurt right now.

RACES: So I entered for alcatraz and that's my big race.  I would also really like to improve my running and do a half mary this year and possibly a marathon(injury free of course!).  I am hoping to road race more and complete a stage race. We also have a open water relay swim across the bay hear in vanouer (its 10km) that I would like to do with some friends. But first I want to get my shoulder back to 100% as soon as possible!!!

Weight: With my ACL injury I gained 30 pounds.  I lost half of that, but also put on a lot of muscle, but with my shoulder I've put 10lbs back on so I will loose that... although being a baker with a sweet tooth really doesn't help.  I too want to loose weight without loosing the things we love... in my case Beer and chocolate!

Jeni - I think you win as far as most "impressive" story to tell. Wow!

I hate the waiting game. It's so frustrating. But sometimes things seem to happen for a reason. (You got a few years to go before you start thinking this way.) you got alot ahead of you. Treat that injury well - otherwise you'll be feeling it forever. I know you're a cyclist, but can you run pain free these days? If so, then maybe like you said, you can focus on running for a while. Your cycling will come back quickly, and your tri's will improve alot.

(And my question is...how do I apply for that graduate school? Oh to be 26 again! )

2008-12-19 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1860241

User image

Master
New Jersey
CPT K - 2008-12-17 10:32 PM
  I ran the 400 hurdles in college,(20 years ago),

Forgot to mention that I ran hurdles in college too - 400 and 110HH. Also about 20 years ago. The high hurdles were just too high for me (my parents forget to give me longer legs when I was born). And the intermediates...well, I just wish they were the 300m hurdles - that last 100 was always my issue.

Edwin Moses...he was the man! And Renaldo Nehemiah. They were so impressive to watch.
2008-12-19 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1862965

Slidell/Pearl River
both, im in transition from a lift only mentality to adding in more cardio but when you were trying for a while to gain bulk, last 3 years lifted heavy, its hard to just give it up and watch it melt away while you do all the cardio, so just trying to find a happy medium right now.. will be off the weights for good except maybe legs and core right now due to shoulder anyway so we will see,  is it possible to open up training log for others to view?  wouldn't mind somebody looking at that to see what they think... its all new to me
2008-12-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1863008

User image

Master
New Jersey
lforce - 2008-12-19 9:35 AM

both, im in transition from a lift only mentality to adding in more cardio but when you were trying for a while to gain bulk, last 3 years lifted heavy, its hard to just give it up and watch it melt away while you do all the cardio, so just trying to find a happy medium right now.. will be off the weights for good except maybe legs and core right now due to shoulder anyway so we will see,  is it possible to open up training log for others to view?  wouldn't mind somebody looking at that to see what they think... its all new to me

All I have to do is click on your "logs" button and I see what you've put in there.
2008-12-19 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1863081

Slidell/Pearl River
ok tried it with yours...  just learning my way around the site...  thanks
2008-12-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: #1863081

User image

Master
New Jersey
Mike -

Well, you're getting some consistent swimming in. that's good. My immediate reaction though is if you want cardio, you have plenty of room for improvement. I can see you're 'transitioning' into it, so that's good.

Some thoughts:
1) Put a little more structure to what you do, so each week you know what you'll be doing each day. "If it's Tuesday, then I must be doing x"
2) Secondly, get the workouts up to about an hour. At least once/week for both the bike and the run. Especially the bike. And no need to push the pace with anything. Maybe one workout a week, for each discipline - do something faster. Otherwise, go easy.
3) If you want to lift - do the leg work after cycling. Do the upper body on another day - not just before swimming.

If you just want to do one sport each day, then something like this:
Monday - Rest day
Tuesday - Run - faster pace - easy warmup, harder (not too hard) middle part, cool down. 45 mins total.
Wed - Bike - easy paced - get this up to 60-90 mins
Thu - Swim - 30 mins - whatever workout you want to do
Fri - Run - "long" - very easy pace - an hour+. Take walk breaks if you want.
Sat - Bike - put in some fast intervals in the middle. At least an hour total. Add in a brick run immediately after. Just 5-10 minutes. You want to get used to those "jelly legs".
Sun - swim - 30 mins - whatever workout you want

That's just an idea - you can change up your week as it fits you.

Overall, the key is not so much WHAT you do, but that you stay consistent, you don't overdo things, and you include a little bit of harder paced stuff. And work your way up to this, don't just jump into it. Rest & Recovery is very important, so if you feel like your body is rebelling, listen to it. Every 3-4 weeks, make it an easy week and back off.

2008-12-19 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1863149

Slidell/Pearl River
thanks for the info, usually my days are like this, if i swim i go before work, only gives me about 25-30 min of swim time, then have been lifting after work followed by the run or bike, just lately i've been trying to do intervals with bike and run once a week and a long bike and run once a week, im just getting into the long bike rides and by that i mean the 18-20 mile rides...  and i gotta say wish i had gotten a road bike earlier, its a fun ride,  i've only done a transition run once and jelly legs definately describes it (was after 18 miles on bike)...  i will also need to up my swimming length and start a transition to bike
2008-12-19 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Hey everyone!  I made up a team link with most everyone's log link.  You can see it on my log and I can send you the code if you'd like.  Also, if your name is not right or not on here, let me know and I'll add it. 

Slow day here in MN.  We left the house early in a snowstorm only to get to the gym and find out that school was canceled.  Now I'm sitting in an empty school using their bandwidth on BT.  Good times.  It's almost time to go to lunch. 

Pattie

2008-12-19 10:19 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey

thanks Pattie!

There's probably a much easier way, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I figured this out correctly.

You can cut and paste THE CODE into your log by:

Control Panel  > Edit Training Settings > Goals

And paste THE CODE in there.

But you can just copy the table itself and paste it in the Goals section if you first:

Control Panel > down near the bottom in the SEttings section where it says "Use Rich edit box when composing messages > choose the option "Tiny MCE Editor (experimental)"

2008-12-19 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1863183

User image

I'd like the code. Thanks. I have no idea how to do that stuff. Hahaha.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14