BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2008-12-23 9:52 PM
in reply to: #1859239

User image

New user

Washington State
Subject: RE: Opiejoe's Group-Full

Question #1 - My first race will most likely be the Cascades Edge Tri (Sprint) . 6/20/09  The water temp here in Washington doesn't leave many late spring / early summer options. As it is, I'll be swimming in 55-60 degree water in June.

Question #2 - By far, my biggest struggle is the run. Followed by the bike.

Question #3 - I exercise now because I have to for health reasons. That is really the true excuse I "use" to make myself set aside work and our 4 kids for an hour every day. The truth is that I feel better physically and emotionally when I workout. I am insanely motivated by the fact that the only thing that will get me across the finish line is relying on myself and seeing how much I can make my body do. There is no one who is going to finish for me. I either have it in me or I don't. And I'd rather die than not finish.

-Danna

Edited by DannaT 2008-12-23 10:01 PM

2008-12-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1870615

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
#1 First Race - Got the Nerve Tri (sprint) May 23rd

#2 Where can I make the most improvement? To be honest, I haven't done any focused training for months so I better improve across the board. I think the bike is where I can make up the most time.

#3 Motivation? To many to list. A defined goal. The feeling you get when you do something you weren't sure you were capable of. The memory of getting passed by the _____ (grandmother, guy with the prostetic leg) and knowing my "limitations" are too often self-imposed.

Merry Christmas to all,
Art
2008-12-25 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran

MERRY CHRISTMAS & GOD BLESS YOU & YOUR FAMILY

2008-12-25 7:22 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Ricky

Same to you and the rest of the group. Merry Christmas !!!

Please be safe out there and remember 10% of all drivers on the road after 9pm on Holidays and weekends are Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants. Next time you are out driving after 9pm on the weekend or holiday count 10 cars and statistically one of those was drunk or drugged. Don't want to scare anyone just a reality of my profession.

2008-12-27 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran

OK-time to start getting ready!!! Only a few days left til I start holding everyone accountable for their workouts. Remember, if it's not posted in your training log-you didn't do it!!! I'm off to go see Marley & Me with my girls-hope the lights are low while I'm crying Cry (I have a 6yo yellow lab "opie" who I consider a member of our family.

Enjoy your last weekend of eating crap & being stretched out on the sofa-Surprised

2008-12-30 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran

There sure isn't much talk in here. Everyone must be really getting ready for 2009. I'll be off work til Sat, so I plan to get in some bike miles if the weather stays moderate. Thank goodness my pool re-opens on Fri. Never thought I would miss a pool!

So, to pass some time today: tell everyone what type of bike you will dominate your AG on in 2009

Myself- Quintana Roo Seduza (Black/Red) was forced to buy a new bike last year. I ran over my old Trek while I was unpacking from Florida 70.3 . No, really I did Embarassed

Wife-Felt S32 (red) lovely little bike that came at a insane low price for a tri specific bike.

I will usually check our board several times daily, but I am also available for questions 24/7 (please no late,late night ones) If any of you need a quick response just email me at [email protected]

2008-12-30 2:12 PM

User image

New user

Washington State

Last year, I trained for my first tri on my husband's old mountain bike. A week before the race, he bought me a new Trek 1.2 in white/silver/blue. Great starter bike. The components could be better, but it beats the 40 pound mountain bike. The new equipment took 17 minutes off my practice times. I'm so lucky to have it.

I'm looking for a trainer so I can ride indoors. Today, there is still 2 feet of snow on the ground and I went snowshoeing for the first time just to get away from the elliptical machine. Anyone have a trainer they can recommend? And what about rollers vs. a trainer??

For the record, I have no idea what AG is. ;-)

2008-12-30 3:52 PM

User image

Veteran
AG= age group
2008-12-30 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Danna - Don't feel bad, the "AG" thing took me a minute to figure out too.

As far as the trainer goes, I just bought a Giant magnetic the other day. It only took a minute to set it up. I've only been on it twice so I can't give you any long term feedback but I like it so far.... It was $240 at my local bike shop.

Which brings me to my bike. Right now I have a Giant OCR 2 road bike with clip on aero bars. I didn't want to jump right into a tri bike before I knew what I was doing so I thought it was a good first step.

Art

"There is nothing more certain than the defeat of a man who gives up. And, I might add, the victory of one who will not."
-George Sheehan-
2008-12-30 4:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Ricky - I've got a question. Where did Opiejoe come from?

Art
2008-12-30 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Art

I believe the Opie comes from his dogs name but the Joe???

I will be riding a Cervelo Dual all year. I just got some spinergy wheels for it and had my first ride on them today. Our snow is just clearing so I was riding in all of the sand the sanders put down on the road so it was a bit slippery, but better than being indoors on a trainer.

As for trainers I use a Kurt Kinetic and have had it for about 3 years now and really like it. I haven't used any others so I can't compare but I've never had any reason to change.

I blew my diet a bit over the Christmas week. I didn't gain any weight but I had set a goal to lose 3 pounds and that didn't happen, I just broke even for the week. Hopefully this week will be better.

Happy New Year!!!

2008-12-30 11:57 PM

User image

New user

Washington State

Greg - Glad to hear someone else "blew it" over Christmas week. I'm just looking to lose 1 pound a week and felt fortunate to break even this week also! Here's to next week and better food choices!

Happy New Year to All!

-Danna

2008-12-31 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran

Opie=Dogs name

Joe=nic name for dog

Opiejoe=this said together in a loud tone means he's done something REALLY bad!

2008-12-31 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran

OK, last day of 08. Reflecion time. Overall it's been a great year. My family and job are awesome. I went from a mop (middle of pack)finisher to a fop(front of pack) finisher this year. How did I do this:

1. Hired a swim instructor. I thought I could swim-I couldn't! I now have a little bit of technique. And I swim ATLEAST 2 tmes a week, mostly three. Best $$$ you can spend starting out.

2. Learned to control my nerves pre-race. Best advice I ever got was "you think everyone is watching you? heck, nobody could care less what you are doing during a race. They're  just trying to survive theirselves!!" Think about that one. I treat each swim start like a practice day. Next time your at the pool share a lane with a buddy & swim side by side. After a while a little kick or nudge won't even faze you.

3.Made a decision to eat healthy & stuck to it. Give yourself that ONE DAY each week to splurge, but starting tomorrow, eat right & include your family. After a month of a proper diet, you can eat one bite of a Mcdonalds burger & you'll spit it out-I promise. If you have food that you just can't live without. Use it as a reward. After every race, I have a HUGE serving of key lime pie (my fav all-time treat). You would be amazed if you knew how many times I thought about that stupid pie during a race.

4. Learned somedays it's not gonna happen. It's normal to push through a tough workout and break walls down. But sometimes your body will just say NO & that's when to shut it down, go home, rest & figure out what went wrong(sleep,diet,mind is somewhere else,eyc..) I have added 20 miles to a 40 mile bike workout while feeling great, but I also have turned around at mile 2 before.

4B. If something starts hurting-STOP the workout!!!!!!!! See ITBS Surprised

5.Made new tri friends. Your NORMAL friends do not understand us-lol. It's great to meet people in your area that share this sickness. And also, participate in a mentor program. Don't be afraid to ask anything. It sure helped me. If this mentor group isn't right for you that's ok-but a daily accountablity will sure get you out of that bed at 5am sometimes.

2008-12-31 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran

Man i'm long winded today.

OK, everyone list their #1 goal to achieve in the first 4 months of 2009. Think long and hard before you post-because I will probably remind you of it many, many times.

Opiejoe #1 Goal for Spring 2009= Sub 5:45 finish at New Orleans 70.3 on April 5thSurprised

2008-12-31 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Wait a minute....5 a.m.????? That's really early!

A serious question. If you are working out in the morning, how long does it take to get going and get your workout/cooldown in? I get up between 5:30 and 6:00 now so I've always done most of my training in the afternoon/evening (except for long runs on weekends). How long did it take you to adjust to doing it in the morning?

Art

2008-12-31 9:45 AM

User image

Hi all and happy new year to you all!

Here in the UK its new years eve and I have just checked in with log and filled in my training over festive period.

As for the questions here goes

Question #1-What will be your first race of the season?
Taunton Deane sprint Triathlon ( My local race organised by my club and held at the sports centre where I run the gym, its on may 20th

Question #2-In triathlon, where can you gain the most improvment in the coming 3-4 months?

Even split between Bike and run but I guess most time will be the bike as proportionally you cover more distance on the bike

Question #3-What motivates YOU. I mean really motivates YOU to set a goal & follow through with it?

What motivates me?? I guess honestly I like being competetive, there are markers in my club that I want to beat, last year I finished 20th with a time of 1 hour 6 minutes, the winner did it in 1 hour and the first local male was 1 hour 5.29 so i was pretty close that would be my best start to the season winning first local male or even ranking in my age group!

Hope all you guys had a great christmas and good new years, I will celebrate tonight and then crack on with my training, there has been some tense moments with work already in this limbo period and hence I have been sent out to train by my wife, she has learnt that me training is a very happy well balanced me but me not training is not nice or well balanced so she sends me out now!!

Well guys look forward to getting to know you all and I see since last I looked we have grown some more, brilliant we have good mix of distances and walks of life will be great way to train for 2009!
2008-12-31 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1879288

User image

Veteran

reid15 - 2008-12-31 7:01 AM Wait a minute....5 a.m.????? That's really early! A serious question. If you are working out in the morning, how long does it take to get going and get your workout/cooldown in? I get up between 5:30 and 6:00 now so I've always done most of my training in the afternoon/evening (except for long runs on weekends). How long did it take you to adjust to doing it in the morning? Art

I try to do all my workouts that fall under the 2 hour range early in the AM. This really helps on race day. Think about it...especially the swim. I find it helps me simulate real race day conditions. I have a sensitive stomach, so I have to really dial  in my pre-swim intake. It took my body about 2-3 months to adapt. Now, I can get out of bed & be swimming or running within 30 minutes with no problem. For those of you with kids, you can have the days workout (except long bike) done before they finish their first bowl of fruit loops.

2008-12-31 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Thanks. I think the pool opens at 5:00. I'm going to try swimming and see how it goes.

On another note; I signed up for the Timberman 70.3. A moment of determination followed by....terror and "What was I thinking"???? Is "survive" a valid race goal?

Art
2008-12-31 4:27 PM

User image

New user

Washington State

I have a similar question. It's time to sign up for the spring/summer tris. I'm looking over the schedules and wondering. Is it all about pushing yourself and crossing the finish line or getting a good time? For example, I can work on Sprints and work on better times, but I'm wondering if I should be pushing on to Olympic and HIM distances. Is it just a difference in philosophies?

-Danna

2008-12-31 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran

Art-you rock bro !!! Add another Opiejoe groupie to the 70.3 list !!!!

Danna-It's what you want it to be. Your finish time is all about what you want to achieve. Does that make sense? That is why we rate our season in A,B,&C races. I think everyone should have a Spring & Summer A race. For these races we pour our heart/soul into achieving a finish that warrants our 110% effort. Then for your b & c races sometimes just having fun is enough. Maybe do a race with a friend who is just starting out & support them throughout the race. I would love to see you sign up for an Oly race. I'll be doing an Oly distance 2 weeks after my 70.3 in April. This will be my wifes 1st Oly distance. I really could care less where I finish. I'll be there to share the weekend with her. As for her goal of that race-FINISH !!! (and there is nothing wrong with that mentality in my book) Plus this will be her first ocean swim race & she is convinced that there is an above average chance that SHE will be eaten by a shark Laughing

2009-01-01 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Opiejoe - Good advice on the "A-C" race strategy. I will be working on improving my times in shorter races while building up endurance for my late summer HIM where my goal right now will be just to finish.

Do you (or anyone else) have any good beginner HIM training programs you have used that you can recommend?

Happy New Year!
Art

Edited by reid15 2009-01-01 4:00 PM
2009-01-02 6:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Try looking at the free plan here on BT. I think it's a 20 week program. If you're looking to just finish (and there is nothing wrong with that) it should work. I would probably add a little mileage on the bike sessions. You will spend an average of 50% of the race on your bike. The bike needs to be dialed in.
2009-01-02 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Opiejoe - Looks good. I'll take your advice on the bike. I was planning on working harder on that anyway.

Understanding most plans have both distance and times listed, is either more important? I'm planning to work on my speed this year but I've always been on the slow side (though I'm sure some would consider that an understatement). In your opinion, is it "better" to work harder for a specific time period or not as hard and complete a distance?

Art
-----

me to my father (after a marathon training run) - "I'm a little sore, I ran 10 miles this morning."
my father (never a big fan of exercise. only half kidding) - "Was someone chasing you?"
2009-01-03 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
I aim for time. Somedays are faster than others (terrain,weather,etc..) I just set a time frame when I set out and try my best to accomplish or exceed my set goal. If your out there struggling for last 30 minutes or so it kinda builds up your confidence. You might need that come race day!! You can always go farther than you think.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!! Rss Feed  

of 9