Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1888103

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: cayrip's group - FULL
karen26.2 - 2009-01-05 6:41 PM

For training - I was looking at one of the 20 week training plans on the site (the free ones). And was deciding on which one to follow. I think since I have an OLY scheduled in May I will start a 20 week OLY plan, and then when the race is over start a 20 week HIM for the Oct HIM I plan to do. The timing is almost perfect. Does that sound good?

The plans I did look at show really low minutes of running, like 24 minutes to start. I rarely run less than 45 minutes, and almost always for an hour or more. Can I just keep the runs longer but stick with the listed times for the swim and bike?

Have you looked into a run focused training plan? I have several for different distances I could scan and email to you. The BT plans are balanced and geared towards beginners and not runners so the run time is short. You can extend the runs but be careful not to overtrain. Keep running what you are running and slowly add in the swimming and biking at 10-15% increases per week and don't forget to schedule some rest weeks.

2009-01-06 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1889204

User image

1) I have a Raleigh mountain bike.  My dream bike is any kind of bike that is meant to be ridden on the road.  Riding my mountain bike on the road seems to take a lot of effort.  I guess mainly because it's heavy and has fat tires.  If I complete my first tri and find that I really like them I'm going to upgrade to a road bike of some sort.

2) New Balance 992 right now.

3) 25 meters

4) No

5) No but I know that I should.

6) Generally I don't wear head phones.  I need a new iPod.  Mine is getting old and doesn't hold a charge for too long anymore.

2009-01-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1889417

User image

Expert
jedward12 - 2009-01-06 10:30 AM

1) I have a Raleigh mountain bike.  My dream bike is any kind of bike that is meant to be ridden on the road.  Riding my mountain bike on the road seems to take a lot of effort.  I guess mainly because it's heavy and has fat tires.  If I complete my first tri and find that I really like them I'm going to upgrade to a road bike of some sort.

2) New Balance 992 right now.

3) 25 meters

4) No

5) No but I know that I should.

6) Generally I don't wear head phones.  I need a new iPod.  Mine is getting old and doesn't hold a charge for too long anymore.

FAT tires make you strong. I have had my butt handed to me by mountain bikers many times. 6'4" is tough to fit. Have you been to a shop yet? Read this article posted on velonews just today.

http://www.velonews.com/article/86337/technical-qa-with-lennard-zin...
2009-01-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1861368

User image

Expert
We need a mentor group name....cayrip's group just isn't flashy enough.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
2009-01-06 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Here is an article we should all read. Plus it gives a link to a free planning spreadsheet. Have fun!

http://www.velonews.com/article/86341/designing-your-own-training-p...
2009-01-06 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
A blogging tip that will help streamline our Inspires.

Instead of hitting the reply button hit the blog button and it will put your response right in my training log so I can keep track of our conversation better. This way I don't have to keep going to your log to find out if you have responded to me. Just a shortcut.

Let me know if you have questions! Next we will have to pick avators for everyone!

2009-01-06 3:35 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I like this!

1) What bike are you riding now? What is your dream bike?

Currently have a Cannondale R600 road bike that I LOVE!!! Since I've gotten more into tri's, and all the cool tri bikes pass me, I'm saving up for a Cervelo. Really want a Cervelo bike.

2) What type of running shoes are you running in and how often do you switch them out (miles)?

Saucony something, first time in this brand. I like them ok, they feel a little heavy. I used to wear Nike Vomero's which were like running on clouds but they wear out too fast. I try to switch out by the time they hit 300 miles, otherwise I end up finding myself injured.

3) How long is your pool (25m, 25 yards, 50 m)?

25 Yards

4) Have you ever done an open water swim?

Yes

5) Do you alwasy ride with a helmet?

Always

6) Do you run with head phones or run in the nude (my way of describing my music-less runs)?

Got to have my tunes! Only time I don't wear my iPod is if I'm racing or running with a chatty friend.
2009-01-06 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
My answers:

Novara Team Trionfo (flews too much in the bottom bracket for my taste)
Dream bike = BMC Team Machine

2) What type of running shoes are you running in and how often do you switch them out (miles)?
Brooks Adreneline changed every 300 miles

25 meters
Yes--scariest one was the Gulf Coast HIM--0.5 mile straight out into the waves, 0.2 mile parallel to the shore, 0.5 mile back to the shore body surfing the last 20 meters.

Yes--I have three boys who want their daddy alive until I am very old and very, very crotchity.

6) Do you run with head phones or run in the nude (my way of describing my music-less runs)?

I do both. I enjoy my naked runs on trails where the wildlife abounds but I can be found with headphones most other times. Tempo runs are done naked so I can listen to my body and heart.
2009-01-06 4:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Survey Says......

1) What bike are you riding now?
Cervelo Dual
Cannondale R1000
Jamis Dakota
Fuji Comp Track - Rental

1.1) What is your dream bike?
R3

The kind that make my feet hurt, got them a couple of months ago.

25m

Y
Y
Y&Y

2009-01-06 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1889417

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
jedward12 - 2009-01-06 11:30 AM

1) I have a Raleigh mountain bike.  My dream bike is any kind of bike that is meant to be ridden on the road.  Riding my mountain bike on the road seems to take a lot of effort.  I guess mainly because it's heavy and has fat tires.  If I complete my first tri and find that I really like them I'm going to upgrade to a road bike of some sort.QUOTE]

I did my first couple of Tris on my Jamis Dakota,
Then borrowed a road bike
Then rented a road bike
Then bought a Tri Bike
Then bought a road bike
It's inevitable...

My wife thinks the only reason I am trying track cycling out is so I could buy a track bike. I have looked at them...........

2009-01-07 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1890519

User image

Expert
bvfrompc - 2009-01-06 3:51 PM

jedward12 - 2009-01-06 11:30 AM

I did my first couple of Tris on my Jamis Dakota,
Then borrowed a road bike
Then rented a road bike
Then bought a Tri Bike
Then bought a road bike
It's inevitable...

My wife thinks the only reason I am trying track cycling out is so I could buy a track bike. I have looked at them...........

I'm trying to buy my wife a new bike so I can get a new road frame and a tri bike (and a deep dish wheelset and a mountain bike and a cyclocross bike...you get the picture). I really don't need to get her a bike first but it may ease my guilt.

2009-01-07 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Interesting article that is very close to my heart. Yoyoing athlete.

http://www.rockymountainsports.com/training/avoiding-the-dreaded-ga...
2009-01-07 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1891597

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
cayrip - 2009-01-07 8:16 AM

I'm trying to buy my wife a new bike so I can get a new road frame and a tri bike (and a deep dish wheelset and a mountain bike and a cyclocross bike...you get the picture). I really don't need to get her a bike first but it may ease my guilt.

Funny how that works, I bought my wife a Road Bike (Felt F85) fall 07 and shortly after that InsideOutSports was blowing out 9sp Cervelo Duals for $999, and it was such a good deal.....

She used her road bike to do the Mile High Duathlon series this past summer and is hooked.

Win-Win
2009-01-07 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

1) What bike are you riding now? What is your dream bike? Diamondback Podium 2 w/ upgraded wheelset + aerobars.  Giant Boulder SE (mountain commuter bike).  DREAM: Cervelo P2C or a P4, i'd take either if they were free.

2) What type of running shoes are you running in and how often do you switch them out (miles)?  Adidas Supernova  - Best running shoes i've ever owned.

3) How long is your pool (25m, 25 yards, 50 m)? 25m Not long enough.  Used a 50m in college, was sooooo nice.

4) Have you ever done an open water swim? Yes, I prefer open water

5) Do you alwasy ride with a helmet? Yes, the only time i've been helmet less is when I make adjustments and need to ride around my apartment parking lot.

6) Do you run with head phones or run in the nude (my way of describing my music-less runs)? For indoor treadmill runs - absolutely.  Outdoor Trail runs - No.  Outdoor - Neighborhood runs - Yes.

----------

Cameron if you don't mind i'd like to poll the group to hear what music everyone listens to while they train.  I'm still using last years music and i'm slowly getting sick of it.  Any reccomendations are more than welcomed.

When i'm on the trainer i like to prop my ipod touch on my aerobars and watch clips from old road races / tours.   If i'm not in the mood for that i'll listen to my playlist which while extensive is mainly skipped to just a few artists:

The Vandals, Muse, Social Distortion, Orbital just to name a few.

Also my suggestion for a group name: "Working Stiffs"

2009-01-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1892042

User image

Expert
jtaddei - 2009-01-07 9:17 AM

Cameron if you don't mind i'd like to poll the group to hear what music everyone listens to while they train.  I'm still using last years music and i'm slowly getting sick of it.  Any reccomendations are more than welcomed.

Poll away!
2009-01-07 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1888273

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
jedward12 - 2009-01-05 8:38 PM

No cool gifts for me.  But I'm brand new to this so it will probably take me a while to figure out what is cool and what isn't. 

I need someone to please tell me that swimming gets easier and better in time.  I'm just starting swimming and I didn't quite expect it to be so difficult.  I've always felt as though I was in pretty decent shape.  I run often, play basketball, and have ridden my bike when I can.  So I guess I was a little shocked on my first lap down the pool when I could hardly breathe by the time I swam 25 meters.  I only swam a total of 300 meters my first time and there's no telling how long it took me.  Yesterday was my second time in the pool.  I pushed myself to 750 meters but I did it all in 50 meter increments.  I had to rest after every 50 meters.  Again I didn't time myself but I'm sure it took forever.  Tonight was my third time in the pool and I was able to "crank out" 100 meters on my first 4 laps without resting.  After that I did the final 400 meters in 50 meter increments again.  I finally timed myself tonight and it took me 18:31 to swim only 500 meters.  Please tell me it will get better!!

Those that posted before me are correct.  Always keep in mind that your form and technique are vital to a good swim workout.  You may notice those in lanes near you making it look so easy like they are just going for an afternoon walk in the park... only in water.  Well a lot of though has gone in to their form (and likely a lot of practice) and when it comes to swimming laps the more relaxed you are with your stroke the easier it will be for you.  If you are tensed up and struggling down the lane you are not swimming very efficiently. 

At this point in your swim training don't try to put yourself out of breath by busting your down the lane.  The fitness you have from your other sports will help you endure the swim once you are able to relax and once that happens you will notice that your hydrodynamics will improve, your hips will stay elevated, your head will stay in a "looking down" neutral position, your hands scraping the top of the water and gently entering the water... all of these things will contribute to an easier workout overall.

2009-01-07 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1892097

User image

Expert
cayrip - 2009-01-07 9:36 AM

jtaddei - 2009-01-07 9:17 AM

Poll away!

Aerosmith, Guns & Roses, Metallica, Tom Petty, Alice Cooper, Justin Timberlake (no laughing), Pink, Bon Jovi are all on my (wife's) Ipod right now.
2009-01-07 10:46 AM

User image

New user

Apologies for not being in touch, I am really excited about this group though!  Seems quite active and friendly!

'd like to pool everyone so I can get to know you all a bit better.

Once the weather permits, I'm riding an oldschool, maybe 86 cannondale road bike.  And I'm too broke and young to start thinking about a dream bike, but I'll definately check it out and get back to you ; )

I just got a new pair of asics, probably switch them out every 5 0r 6 months, don't know how that equates to miiles, too many I'm sure.

25 yards

yes-lake michigan along the bike path

ahh, no.  I know.  That will change this year.  I'm done being too cool... 

I can do either, if my ipod decides it would like to work this week then yes.  When I'm on a treadmill usually but if I'm running outside, no.

Hope everyone's training is going well and that 2009 is off to a great start!

Stephanie

2009-01-07 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1892109

User image

Expert
jtaddei - 2009-01-07 9:38 AM

No cool gifts for me.  But I'm brand new to this so it will probably take me a while to figure out what is cool and what isn't. 

I need someone to please tell me that swimming gets easier and better in time.  I'm just starting swimming and I didn't quite expect it to be so difficult.  I've always felt as though I was in pretty decent shape.  I run often, play basketball, and have ridden my bike when I can.  So I guess I was a little shocked on my first lap down the pool when I could hardly breathe by the time I swam 25 meters.  I only swam a total of 300 meters my first time and there's no telling how long it took me.  Yesterday was my second time in the pool.  I pushed myself to 750 meters but I did it all in 50 meter increments.  I had to rest after every 50 meters.  Again I didn't time myself but I'm sure it took forever.  Tonight was my third time in the pool and I was able to "crank out" 100 meters on my first 4 laps without resting.  After that I did the final 400 meters in 50 meter increments again.  I finally timed myself tonight and it took me 18:31 to swim only 500 meters.  Please tell me it will get better!!

Those that posted before me are correct.  Always keep in mind that your form and technique are vital to a good swim workout.  You may notice those in lanes near you making it look so easy like they are just going for an afternoon walk in the park... only in water.  Well a lot of though has gone in to their form (and likely a lot of practice) and when it comes to swimming laps the more relaxed you are with your stroke the easier it will be for you.  If you are tensed up and struggling down the lane you are not swimming very efficiently. 

At this point in your swim training don't try to put yourself out of breath by busting your down the lane.  The fitness you have from your other sports will help you endure the swim once you are able to relax and once that happens you will notice that your hydrodynamics will improve, your hips will stay elevated, your head will stay in a "looking down" neutral position, your hands scraping the top of the water and gently entering the water... all of these things will contribute to an easier workout overall.

Nicely said about the relaxing. That is key to a good swim. Tiem in the water will make us all that more comfortable. We have the fitness to swim an Ironman once we relax.
2009-01-07 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1892109

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
jtaddei - 2009-01-07 10:38 AM

The only things I can add is to try and go as slow as possible, get in the pool 3-4 times a week, and don't compare yourself to anybody but yourself. I learned to swim in my late 20s to rehab a shoulder surgery and I start with one lap, then 2, and worked slowly up to an hour by swimming almost every day for a couple of months, slow and steady. Now, going slow enough, I feel like I could go all day. Its getting faster that is a whole nother issue.

Advice that is valuable and you will find often on Tri sites: When your first starting out, just take some lessons, learn to swim right and don't learn all the bad habits that will hold you back when trying to get faster.
2009-01-07 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1892110

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
, Justin Timberlake , Pink, Bon Jovi "giggle, giggle"

are all on my (wife's) Ipod right now.

Nice save with the attribution to the wife.

Then again I have everything from Green Day (full Bullet in a Bible recording) to the Three Tenors with U2, George Straight, Aimee Mann, The Replacements, Jeff Buckley, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Clannad, and The Nadas on mine. I likes what I like.

2009-01-07 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

anybody ever try making their own energy/protein bars?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe/index.html

Saw this episode from Alton brown last night and i just went and bought all the stuff so I can have something really filling for a post workout snack.  Anyone tried this have any insight to how they taste?  i'll be baking these in a few hours so i'll come back with my opinion.

2009-01-07 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1893017

User image

Expert
jtaddei - 2009-01-07 2:21 PM

Saw this episode from Alton brown last night and i just went and bought all the stuff so I can have something really filling for a post workout snack.  Anyone tried this have any insight to how they taste?  i'll be baking these in a few hours so i'll come back with my opinion.

LEt us know...I'm interested. I make my own recovery drink. Vanilla protein powder and gatorade for a 4:1 carb to protein ratio. It tastes like creamsicle and really works (at least my mind tricks my body into thinking it works).

Edited by cayrip 2009-01-07 3:28 PM
2009-01-07 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1893017

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
jtaddei - 2009-01-07 4:21 PM

Yes, please let us know how they turn out. I'm always trying to think of something I can to for a living that would allow me to workout whenever I want, and energy bars were something my friend and I thought about. Look at Clif Bar...

Alton Brown is awesome, I bet they turn out great.
2009-01-07 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

they turned out great!  I added a little bit of honey and I think that gave the bars a bit more of a brownie texture.  Also I was nearly out of protein powder so i used 3/4 cup powder and then 1/4 cup soy protein flour.

I noticed ALL of the flavor was derived from the dried fruits and the honey.  Instead of following the plan and buying a ton of separate dried fruit packets, i just bought a mixed dried fruit bag and threw that in.

Overall, I loved them.  I wish i could have given them a little more of a drier clif bar texture but they wound up being more like a batch of brownies... thus making them very easy to eat a lot of.  I'd highly reccomend using the proteins/flours as a base to add whatever flavoring you'd like.  My next batch i'm going to add chocolate/peanut butter chips to flavor to make some healthy energy brownies.  Also may add some sliced almonds for texture.

(label.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
label.jpg (77KB - 20 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's sufferers- FULL Rss Feed  

of 9