BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-12-29 11:21 PM
in reply to: #1864322

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - CLOSED

Hughe;

If you want to search for local events in 2009, have a look at:
http://www.bcathletics.org/eventcal_rr09.htm

2008-12-30 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1877050

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

hrose77 - 2008-12-29 10:17 PM Hey Steve do you train on Lake Michigan? I'm from Vancouver BC, Canada

Only now can i train "ON" it as it is frozen.  But yes, i live a mile from the beach and often run on the multi-use path and do several open water swims during the summer.  Last year it was really cold (56F) most of June, so we found a smaller inland lake to swim in.

2008-12-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1876354

User image

Tucson, Arizona
got2run - 2008-12-29 2:37 PM

Where are you all from?  I live in Racine, WI

I'm way down in Tucson, AZ. It looked like most everyone else was much more north.

And I need to fix my profile so my name comes up, but it's Kristi.

2008-12-30 10:30 AM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Marinus,

I live around the Main Street and king Edward area.  

Thanks Hughe

2008-12-30 7:10 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Another one in the VR area is the Historic Half on Feb 15th in Fort Langely. Details at http://www.historichalf.ca I've heard good things about it.
2008-12-30 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Thanks Kristi. Being further south sound slike a good thing right now. We've been hit with quite a bit of snow. I'd trade you right about now. I've been looking at a few Iron Camps, and one is down your way.

2008-12-31 6:23 AM
in reply to: #1875896

User image

New user

Kuusisto, Finland

July 18th, Joroinen HIM (Finland), so a loooooong way to go. I liked a phrase in a book I am reading, that stated this phase is the "patience" phase. I underatand exactly what is meant. We are now in Finland in Winter, so biking is on the home trainer (boring!), and running often in the dark. I try to concentrate on learning to swim. Very interesesting!

I plan a second "A" for 2009 in October, my first full Marathon.

Btw, I do not know why my data are not shown correctly, I need to check my profile...

Edited by Folkert 2008-12-31 6:25 AM
2008-12-31 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
If anyone has looked at any of my race reports, you can see that the swim is by far my weakest event.

I have posted a short video of me swimming a few laps in my backyard pool in the album section of my log. The video was shot last summer, so I think I have improved a little since then.

Here is the link:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albu...

Any feedback from the group would be appreciated.
2008-12-31 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1878639

User image

Tucson, Arizona
marinusw - 2008-12-30 6:14 PM

Thanks Kristi. Being further south sound slike a good thing right now. We've been hit with quite a bit of snow. I'd trade you right about now. I've been looking at a few Iron Camps, and one is down your way.

They just finished the Ironman in Tempe last month. That was great to follow. There were live links online so I could follow all day. It was very inspiring. 

Good luck at training in the cold. I'm a wimp and even though I know it's warmer here, I'm still training in a gym most of the time. I am going on a bike ride (road) tomorrow. And I'll hit the trails another day this weekend. Hopefully it stays sunny.

2008-12-31 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1880126

User image

Vancouver, BC

Hey Bob, that is a great idea to video tape your self and then look at it.  You asked for advice on your stroke.  I am no coach by any means!!!!  I swam competatively for 9 and played waterpolo for another 3 years.  The water is my strong area.  

One thing I noticed was your pull.  When you start your pull you want to almost start the same way as you would in breast stroke (obviously with only one arm at a time).  Above your head you want to make a heart shaped-reaching as far forward as possible (be sure you have cupped hand, this will cause more resistance, which in turn will move you faster through the water) pull and extend your arm fully all the way back to your knees.  Follow through.    It is tough explaining it through words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-vSqlWmgs 

Here they explain it a lot better:

Reach forward

With each stroke, make sure you are extending your arm to its maximum length. Many swimmers place their hand in the water in front of their head and begin their underwater pull. Instead, concentrate on placing your hand in the water about 15 inches in front of you, and then reach forward an additional 6 inches by extending your arm from your shoulder. That little movement involving your shoulder (imagine you are standing and trying to reach for a ceiling just beyond your reach) can lengthen and smooth out your stroke for maximum efficiency.

"Hourglass" pull

When you are pulling your body through the water with your arms, you want to maximize the amount of water pulled. Since the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, the last thing you want to do when swimming is pull your arm through the water in a straight line. Instead, practice an ?S? shape (a longer way of completing each stroke), so that if you were to pull both arms together simultaneously, the resulting path would resemble an ?hourglass? silhouette (this ?simultaneous silhouette? should also diagram your butterfly underwater pull). At the beginning of the stroke, the hand extends out, away from your body. Keep your elbows high. As you catch the water, curve your hand back inward toward your belly button, then out again by your hip as your hand exits the water.

Finish the stroke

Even some of the world?s best swimmers end up shortening their strokes when they get tired, pulling their hands out of the water prematurely at their waist area rather than by their upper thigh. As your arms complete their underwater ?hourglass? pull, they should fully extend behind you, by your sides, so that your thumbs graze the side of your thighs below your suit-line. Many swimmers begin bending their elbows toward the end of their stroke and pull their arms out of the water before allowing them to finish their path. By shortening their stroke, these swimmers lose efficiency while actually expending more energy, because they are taking more strokes per lap (essentially ?spinning their wheels?).

I hope this helps.  Hughe 

2008-12-31 4:33 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC

I need help with riding!! Whenever I get out on the bike and train I just pedal consistently.  Should I be doing sprints, hills etc.??  I am new at biking and want to get the most out of my training.  Today I biked for 1 hour and 20 minutes and I just kept it steady the whole time.  Is this good or can I be getting more out of it???

How often should you fuel up when training?  Is and hour to long to go without eating a gel or some sort of bar?

Thanks Hughe

2008-12-31 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

hrose - depending on when your 'season' officially starts, i would say that just steady riding is good.  You want to build a solid base before you try and do sprints or faster spins.  Same in running, build the foundation before intervall work and such. 

If you are riding for 60-90min indoors, i would drink sports drink (Hammer HEED, my preference) about every 10 -15 min.  that would be about 3-5 miles on road.  A gel is good at about 40-45 min.   When i race Half iron (56M bike) i drink at that interval, use gel every 45 min and chew some bites of power bar every hour.

2008-12-31 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
First... Happy New Year to everyone. I know this will be a great year full of accomplishment for all of us! Here is a link worth having a look at:
http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Flexibility_training__Swimming_stretches.htm?act=EMC-Active&Vehicle=Triathlon&Date=12_28_08&Edition=4&Sections=Articles&Creative=flexibility_swimming_stretches&TextName=Read_The_Full_Article_On_Active&ArtText=Txt&Placement=3&Dy=Mon

Also, another good site with swim info is: http:www.goswim.com Here you can find some excellent videos showing technique including catch, roll, etc. Look around and you’ll find some good stuff.

Bob:
Thanks for posting that video. Something like this here is a GREAT idea. I’d welcome everyone to share things like this. If I may, I’ll offer two comments. First, I’d suggest you consider your catch. Search some videos at the above side for catch. I like:
http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5484/freestyle---practice-the-catch.html
In particular watch the break at the elbow. “Catch Up” drills are good. These are the ones where you delay your stoke and both hands are at the forefront position before the next stroke. A second thought is that I see you crossing over on your stoke. For example, your left hand should not cross over your body centerline to the right side of your body. When you stoke, especially in a catch-up drill, watch your hands and finger tips. Are they crossing over. REACH when you extend. That will help you not cross over, and it will help your roll too.

I hope this helps.

Hughe:
For your question, a long steady ride has a good place in your training. This is like your long slow runs. I’d suggest that you use these are a good part of your workouts. But depending on the time of year in your training schedule, I’d suggest that technique and skill drills are important too. Mix in some intense but shorter sessions into your workouts. I use Spinervals, but there are a number of good products. Even if you do your own pyramid session that could work. It depends somewhat on your current level and phase of training, but combine hard intervals with rest periods. To start with, you might want to consider 1 part hard with 1 part recovery (ex: 5 minutes at race pace / 5 minutes at long ride pace) and then slowly increase the amounts, and then the ratio.

For fueling, the average racer needs to take in the equivalent of a gel of sports drink about every 45 minutes depending on the total distance / time, intensity and conditions. While I do not endorse any particular product. The following links might be useful:
http://www.powerbar.com/calculators/fiber.aspx and
http://ironman.com/training/nutrition/fueling-during-training-how-much

In general, I’d say you should be fueling for any event over 1 hour. You can store a max of 2000 useable cal in your body total. You don’t want to get close to using that, as it is not realistic to use 100% of your available. So you should be fueling at 45 minutes AT LEAST and then continue fueling, preferable in small in bits, every 15 minutes. That can be a combination of sports drink, gels, and bars, depending on your hydration needs.

Again, happy New Year everyone!

Marinus

Edited by marinusw 2009-01-01 1:18 AM
2009-01-01 1:28 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!   Laughing

2009-01-01 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Thank you.  Happy New Year to everyone too.  Fresh start to a great year to come!!
2009-01-01 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1874193

New user

Burlington
Subject: RE: Marinus Waterberg Group - OPEN

Happy new year Marinus! 

My short term goal is to be back in good running shape for a running cruise that I am taking at Feb 1st.  As for races...I plan to do the Robbie Burns 8K on Jan 25th, the Chilly Half on Mar.1st and the Around the bay on Mar 29th.

My medium term goals ...Muskoka Long course in June

Longer term... the Niagara Falls Marathon in October.

I think my biggest challenge will be getting back in the pool.  I find it really hard to talk myself into swimming when the weather is so cold!

I agree with you completely about finding balance in life.  This is my resolution for 2009...finding more balance in life.

Cheers!

2009-01-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1880728

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Marius, Hughe, and the Group...

Thanks for the great feedback on my swim video clip. Looking at it now, I see exactly what you mean on my catch/pull. Did my swim workout this morning and tried to incorporate some catchup drills and just tried to extend my reach on each stroke. Also tried to be aware of crossing over. I think I start to do it more as I get tired during my workout. Again ... thanks for the advice, videos, and drill suggestions ... that was definately the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Also ... I did my usual 5K race on New Year's day. I really enjoy kicking the year off with a race. They haven't posted the official results yet, but I think my watch time and placing were pretty close.

I have already posted the race report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

For those who are new to BT, I think the race reports are my favorite feature of the site. Some members really give detailed accounts of their race experience with some very interesting and insightful accounts of their race experience.

Bob
2009-01-02 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great job Bob!  New Year's Day takes a commitment to get up earlyLaughing  My first 5 k of the year is at the end of the month.  It is good to kick of the season with a good 5k time!  I also enjoy the race repots and enjoyed reading yours.  I always read them a couple times prior to a big race.  There is good information to be had from the detailed ones. Chet
2009-01-02 11:40 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi again group. As seen by your comments, there is always a lot of questions about swimming and swim drills. As I said earlier, my recommendation is normally to seek out a master's swim group. But as an addition resource, I'll offer up other material here for you. Please understand that since this is not used under supervision, you agree to use it on your own authority.

Having said the usual qualifying conditions, I have uploaded onto my web site a few drills and a 6 week set of drill. This is taken from a good resource and provides some good basic help, but it is quite generic. So some individual modification is likely necessary. if you have any specific questions or need, please just let me know.

To access it, go to my web site at http://www.tri-coach.ca. On the left side index under the "Contact Us" bar you'll see a blank box. Click on that box to get to the page. I've left it a bit hidden as it's meant just for this group. The Drills and Weeks link to scanned JPG images from the original source. Do a "Save Target As" to download it for viewing.

Enjoy!

2009-01-03 1:02 AM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Marinus,

Thanks a lot for putting the swimming work out plan up on your web page.  I am going to try it out.  

Hughe

2009-01-03 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1883762

New user

Burlington

Thanks Marinus

2009-01-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1883762

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Yes ... thank you for the swim training info. Definately needed here.

How is everyone's training going? The group has been really quiet.

I started to ramp up my training intensity over the weekend with some fast intervals on the bike. Running the 5K race on New Year's Day gave me a good indication of where I was at with regard to my race fitness starting the year and a baseline to plan my training accordingly. It also did a lot to get my competitiveness ramped up. Felt great holding off a couple of runners over the last 100 meters.

Anyway, I plan to start posting the graphs from my polar HRM in my training log. I Would appreciate any feedback on training intensity, etc.

I was able to register over the weekend for two races that normally sellout on the first day - White Lake Sprint (May) and the Lake Norman YMCA Sprint (Aug). Both are very popular and well run events. Looking forward to competing in them this year for the first time.

Hope everyone is off to a good start in 2009.
2009-01-05 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Now that all the holiday excuses are behind us, it's time to get down to work. I know that goes for both myself and my wife. We both were on the trainer Saturday letting Coach Troy turn our legs to jelly. And Sunday was a nice 14km run along the snow lined streets of Richmond BC. Did I mention I am tired of the snow already?!? I will mention that she is now training for her first Ironman. We'll be doing IMC together this year.

I'd like to post an article with some good strength training information. I know I've offered a bit on this already, but I still think you'll find this interesting.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Strength_Exercises.htm

I also thought I'd put up what my weeks worth of training look slike. This fits my commitments and other obligations.

Monday:
AM: Optional swim - steady 1500 - 2000m
PM: Pilates class

Tuesday:
AM: Strength
PM: 10km pace run

Wednesday:
AM: Masters swim group
PM: Spin class

Thursday:
AM: Noon time 8 - 10KM run.
PM: Until March I am in an evening Curling league.

Friday:
AM: Masters swim

Saturday:
Bike: Either spin indoor or ride outdoor, depending on weather. Occasional short 20 minutes run to get in a brick.

Sunday:
Long run. Right now 16 - 20km

2009-01-05 4:34 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Marinus,

I second that notion about being tired of all the snow.  Removing it all has become a part of my daily workout.   

I am super pumped, I had a crazy long night at work last night but stuck to going to the pool this morning (not gonna lie but I almost bailed on the swim this morning but then I thought about how I would explain why I skipped on my swim, couldn't do it). Glad I went, for once I had the pool to my self, guess everyone was scared to go out in the snow.  Did my first swim today off the new swim plan you put up Marinus.  It was great, not a long distance by any means but a great starting point to build up on.

This group is great, even though I don't know anyone of you, I feel like I can't let the team down.  

Train hard everyone.

2009-01-06 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Pool workout today - agreed having a lane or pool to yourself is great.  It is my day off of work, so i didn't have to fight the early morning crowds.   Nothing special, no drills, just 1000yd steady swim in 24:43.   I was consistently around 2:30/100 after a 2:04 start.  For me that is good.   Just trying to get solid workouts in and mix it up everyday.  Rest the muscles that i worked the day before.

Steve 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  

of 11