BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-09 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - OPEN!
Hi!  I hope there is still room!!  I love your handle Wurkit_Gurl!!!

NAME: kmbhoya2000  Kathleen

STORY: I used to do show jumping all over, but had to stop after college; I walked 2 marathons for the Arthritis Foundation; my knees got sore, my doctor wasn't happy and so I decided to start training for triathlons.  I have had a rare rheumatoid disease since I was 15 (I am 31 now).  It affects the covering of all of the tendons and ligaments, so I get really sore & tight muscles.  But, with working out & good stretching, it's not too bad (of & lots of meds!!)

FAMILY STATUS: married with 2 boys, 3 & 1

CURRENT TRAINING:
Been training mostly indoors due to weather, but hoping to get outside soon.  Just did longest bike ride today, 45 min; I walk the run, but I walk at about a 14 minute pace, which I am hoping to get closer to 12.  Swimming, is okay, but I am super slow as I swim breaststroke.  I am trying to learn the crawl...

2009 RACES:
June 7 Keuka Lake (NY) Sprint; possibly one other depending how I come out of it

WEIGHTLOSS:
Mostly looking to tone up more, maybe lose a few more pounds, but nothing major.  Once I started training, it helped to get back to my pre-baby weight & to get some of the muscles back

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
I am very good at taking instruction (as long as it's constructive!!) I have been a life-long learner & I love to learn new ways to do things!!  And with tris I have TONS to learn.  I am getting more comfortable with the sport component, but am now worrying more about the transitions!!

2009-04-09 5:38 PM

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
Welcome, Adam and Kathleen! And you guys have officially rounded out my group, so we are closed. Let's get to training! I just came back from my PT, and need to finish dinner, and freshen up to head off to church cuz it's Maundy Thursday, so I will do a better intro later
2009-04-09 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
ooo a soccer player!
i play as a goalie for various teams although its more 5/side nowadays

i play cricket too as the season is just starting

Re swimming.
basically i'm currently at home for easter so i've paid very basic cheap gym membership until i get back to uni. at uni i have access to all the gyms and pools and all sports facilities owned by the council
2009-04-09 6:44 PM

User image

New user

Universal City, Texas
Hey SteveyD....I haven't played in a while but I was a goalkeeper as well.  I am looking for a team here to get involved with. 
2009-04-09 8:13 PM

User image

When anyone has a chance, could you please give me some advice on a wetsuit.  I am going to buy one, and I need a full wetsuit for cold water.  That being said, I also don't want to go completely broke...any advice on brands and sizing would be greatly appreciated!!!
2009-04-09 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone!  We have our group, I am excited. 

Wurkit_gurl: "I am running MCM this October, so I will let you know how it goes! If I end up liking it, I'd like to do Chicago sometime, since I've never been and I hear it's almost an entirely flat course "

My sister in law has run the MCM for the past 3 years and she loves it.  I would be doing that with her but then she decided to do Chicago again this year so this is where I am.  MCM is, from what I have heard, a powerful and wonderful race.  She says it is the best she has ever done.  It sounds like you liked it as well since you are going back for round two.

Well off to bed so I can get up at 4 and train.  G-night all!

2009-04-09 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2075116

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-09 9:13 PM When anyone has a chance, could you please give me some advice on a wetsuit.  I am going to buy one, and I need a full wetsuit for cold water.  That being said, I also don't want to go completely broke...any advice on brands and sizing would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wetsuits, on the whole, are pretty pricey. That being said, you CAN score some sweet deals online if you know what you're looking for. I think there is a brand that BT'ers get a discount on - the link is around here somewhere, I will try to find it. If you have a chance, though, go to a store or two and try on as many as you can. Make sure you are looking for TRIATHLON-specific wetsuits. NOT suits for diving or surfing - these are made out of different material and are not constructed for full range-of-motion swimming. A triathlon wetsuit will keep you warm, keep you buoyant (though it's NOT a flotation device), and make you faster in the water. WHen you go, make sure there is someone there who can help you try them on and determine if the fit is correct. They take a little getting used to, so don't be discouraged if you feel like you're fighting a bit to get it on. It should feel tight, but not like it's choking you.

Popular brands include Orca, XTerra (online only), DeSoto (also online only, I believe, though they are known for amazing customer service), Quintana Roo, 2XU, Blue Seventy and Zoot. Those are by no means exhaustive. They all fit differently, so you really do have to try them on. There is also a bit of a range in price and design. The "entry level" wetsuits are usually a little bit thicker, with less special paneling, etc, but they will work just fine.

If you can, rent one for your first few races - it's a good way to try them out without committing to one right off the bat.

2009-04-09 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2075136

amkaz - 2009-04-09 9:26 PM Hi everyone!  We have our group, I am excited. 

Wurkit_gurl: "I am running MCM this October, so I will let you know how it goes! If I end up liking it, I'd like to do Chicago sometime, since I've never been and I hear it's almost an entirely flat course "

My sister in law has run the MCM for the past 3 years and she loves it.  I would be doing that with her but then she decided to do Chicago again this year so this is where I am.  MCM is, from what I have heard, a powerful and wonderful race.  She says it is the best she has ever done.  It sounds like you liked it as well since you are going back for round two.

Well off to bed so I can get up at 4 and train.  G-night all!

I actually haven't run it yet - I was supposed to last year, but had to back out 4 weeks prior due to what I thought at the time was an injury. It will be my first marathon, so I am really excited!

2009-04-09 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2074659

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-09 4:58 PM Hi!  I hope there is still room!!  I love your handle Wurkit_Gurl!!!

NAME: kmbhoya2000  Kathleen

STORY: I used to do show jumping all over, but had to stop after college; I walked 2 marathons for the Arthritis Foundation; my knees got sore, my doctor wasn't happy and so I decided to start training for triathlons.  I have had a rare rheumatoid disease since I was 15 (I am 31 now).  It affects the covering of all of the tendons and ligaments, so I get really sore & tight muscles.  But, with working out & good stretching, it's not too bad (of & lots of meds!!)

FAMILY STATUS: married with 2 boys, 3 & 1

CURRENT TRAINING:
Been training mostly indoors due to weather, but hoping to get outside soon.  Just did longest bike ride today, 45 min; I walk the run, but I walk at about a 14 minute pace, which I am hoping to get closer to 12.  Swimming, is okay, but I am super slow as I swim breaststroke.  I am trying to learn the crawl...

2009 RACES:
June 7 Keuka Lake (NY) Sprint; possibly one other depending how I come out of it

WEIGHTLOSS:
Mostly looking to tone up more, maybe lose a few more pounds, but nothing major.  Once I started training, it helped to get back to my pre-baby weight & to get some of the muscles back

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
I am very good at taking instruction (as long as it's constructive!!) I have been a life-long learner & I love to learn new ways to do things!!  And with tris I have TONS to learn.  I am getting more comfortable with the sport component, but am now worrying more about the transitions!!

Hi Kathleen - where in NY are you? I grew up in UPstate NY, near the Albany area. I'd like to go and do a race up there some time, as my parents still live up there (I'm 28 and haven't live there since I was 18). If it makes you feel any bettter, the weather here in DC hasn't warmed up all that much either! And I'm guessing since you have "hoya" in your name, you went to Georgetown?

RE: swimming. Have you considered taking lessons? Sometimes it's really helpful to have an outside eye to tell you what you're doing wrong. You can teach yourself using methods like Total IMmersion, but even with that, I'd suggest having someone videotape you. It will make a world of difference and give you more confidence in teh water if you can master it, at least that's what I believe. The swim portion of triathlon has never freaked me out, since I learned to swim as a child and am comfortable in the water, which is something I had over a lot of the other newbies when I started.

2009-04-09 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2074641

payneadam - 2009-04-09 4:48 PM Howdy...if there is room available still, I would like to join this group. 

NAME: payneadam, aka Adam (very original...I know)

STORY: Always been athletic through highschool and college, but always team sports (soccer was the main focus).  I was commissioned as an officer in the Army out of college so that served as my motivation to stay fit.  I recently left the Army and needed some motivation to start getting up in the mornings again.  I went to my first triathlon last weekend in Galveston, Texas and was blown away.  It looks like a ton of fun and I figured what better motivation than setting a mark on a calendar for a triathlon. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my wife (coming up on 5 years).  No kids yet. 2 dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been working out off and on with weights and cardio since leaving the Army.  I just started a training plan to get me ready for a sprint triathlon in late may.

2009 RACES:  I will be reserving a spot in my first tri this weekend.  It is a first timer sprint triathlon on memorial day in Austin, Texas (Capital of Texas Triathlon - Sprint Distance)I hope to complete one more triathlon at the end of the season around September (There is another one in Galveston that looks promising).  My main goal is to be ready for an olympic length by the beginning of next season.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am about 210 currently and would like to be down to 190.  More than that I just want to be in better shape.

Overall, I am decent with the run and the bike.  I need a lot of help in the swim.  I can stay floating and move forward but it is neither fast nor pretty.  I am really excited about starting the workouts and cannot wait for my first.

Okay, finally a real "hello"  Oh, the swim angst - y'all have come to the right place! Swimming is something I ACTUALLY knew a lot about coming into triathlon. And I will say, as I just posted to Kathleen, that being confident in the water is really important. YEs, the swim is the shortest part of triathlon, but it's the part that seems to freak people out the most. And if you can walk into that water on race day with even just a little bit of confidence, that will put you above the rest of the newbies who are nervous and shaking all around you Have you had anyone look at your stroke? Taken any lessons? An outside eye, esp. a trained one, is always a good thing. But if you have any questions, please toss them out here, and I can try to explain, at least. There are lots of links out there to good videos of proper technique. SOme people learn visually before they can internalize something; different ways of explaining thing.

And yes, nothing lights a fire under your a$$ to train than actually registering for a race!

2009-04-09 8:53 PM

User image

New user

Universal City, Texas
Thanks for the advice Chrissy.   I havent had anyone look at my stroke yet, but I will try to set that up...I have a few friends that are good swimmers.   Also, I have read a few articles and the next time I hit the pool I am going to spend the majority of the time doing some drills to help my problem areas.  

From what I read, my issues are 1) that I am trying to exhale and inhale at the same time and end up taking up water.  2) and that I am swimming with my forehead up looking in front of me making my feet sink in the water.  As you can imagine this makes for a difficult swim.  

I will let you know if the drills help.

-Adam

PS - Ive noticed that you call your workouts PT...are you in the military?

2009-04-09 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2075195

payneadam - 2009-04-09 9:53 PM Thanks for the advice Chrissy.   I havent had anyone look at my stroke yet, but I will try to set that up...I have a few friends that are good swimmers.   Also, I have read a few articles and the next time I hit the pool I am going to spend the majority of the time doing some drills to help my problem areas.  

From what I read, my issues are 1) that I am trying to exhale and inhale at the same time and end up taking up water.  2) and that I am swimming with my forehead up looking in front of me making my feet sink in the water.  As you can imagine this makes for a difficult swim.  

I will let you know if the drills help.

-Adam

PS - Ive noticed that you call your workouts PT...are you in the military?

Nah, my workouts are just workouts - my PT is my physical therapist That's generally what PT refers to here in BT-land, physical therapist, or physical therapy, such as "My PT is going to help me fix my killer IT Band problems" or "holy carp, I have to do 30 minutes of PT (exercises) every single morning!".

RE: your swim issues. Yes, if you lift your head, your hips sink. For now, try looking basically straight at the bottom of the pool. This is a little exaggerated, but it tends to work for newbies, since it usually feels like you're looking straighter than you actually are, if that makes any sense. With the breathing - it takes some time to figure out what works for you. Generally I breathe in through my mouth and out through BOTH my nose and mouth - if you aren't doing the latter, try that and see if that helps at all. Make sure you're not holding your breath at all, though you don't want to breathe out so much that you run out of air before you can come up for more It just some takes practice and patience.

2009-04-10 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2075156

User image

Hi Kathleen - where in NY are you? I grew up in UPstate NY, near the Albany area. I'd like to go and do a race up there some time, as my parents still live up there (I'm 28 and haven't live there since I was 18). If it makes you feel any bettter, the weather here in DC hasn't warmed up all that much either! And I'm guessing since you have "hoya" in your name, you went to Georgetown?

RE: swimming. Have you considered taking lessons? Sometimes it's really helpful to have an outside eye to tell you what you're doing wrong. You can teach yourself using methods like Total IMmersion, but even with that, I'd suggest having someone videotape you. It will make a world of difference and give you more confidence in teh water if you can master it, at least that's what I believe. The swim portion of triathlon has never freaked me out, since I learned to swim as a child and am comfortable in the water, which is something I had over a lot of the other newbies when I started.

I did go to Georgetown!!!  Go Hoyas!!! (ok, basketball was sad this year, maybe next year!!)  I miss DC!!  Anyway, I am in Elmira, which is 3 hours west of Albany (1 hour west of Binghamton).  We are right in the Finger Lakes area, and my parent's have a place on Keuka, so that naturally was where I decided to start this!

So, I have the Total Immersion book, and DVD; but I have spoken with people about lessons, and am hoping to start in the next week or two.  At the very least I know I can swim the whole thing in breaststroke without getting too tired, but it is so slow!! 

Thanks for the advice about the wetsuits!!

OK, I'm off to go swimming with my boys!!
2009-04-10 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2075533

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (ssshh...we're training)

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-10 7:47 AM
I did go to Georgetown!!!  Go Hoyas!!! (ok, basketball was sad this year, maybe next year!!)  I miss DC!!  Anyway, I am in Elmira, which is 3 hours west of Albany (1 hour west of Binghamton).  We are right in the Finger Lakes area, and my parent's have a place on Keuka, so that naturally was where I decided to start this!

So, I have the Total Immersion book, and DVD; but I have spoken with people about lessons, and am hoping to start in the next week or two.  At the very least I know I can swim the whole thing in breaststroke without getting too tired, but it is so slow!! 

Thanks for the advice about the wetsuits!!

OK, I'm off to go swimming with my boys!!

I know exactly where Elmira is, because I have relatives out there! I like DC - I've been here almost 5 years now; lived in Northern Virginia (Arlington first, then Fairfax, and now Falls Church) since I moved here, but I went to grad school at American University.

Great job being proactive about the swimming - for your first race, just do whatever you feel comfortable with. But it'll be good to get your freestyle down solid since breaststroke uses a lot of leg strength, which you want to save for the bike/run. You'll learn (if you didn't know already) that triathlon swimming is SLIGHTLy different than watching Michael Phelps et al kicking out a sprint. We don't kick as much or as hard, unless we're trying to pass someone, or surging towards the end. Mostly, your kick is an easy flutter to keep you afloat - most of the propulsion forward comes from your upper body. That way, your legs aren't trashed when you get on the bike.  Have fun swimming with your kids

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-04-10 7:23 AM
2009-04-10 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Okay, I may be entering the dumb question of the day contest here but oh well.  People are leaving me inspirational comments on my training log.  Thank you!  That is so cool.  I didn't know this was possible.  So how do I view others and do the same thing.  If ther are directions somewhere just point me there.  I think I have newbie-itis.

Thanks all! Have an awesome day!

Amy
2009-04-10 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2075987

amkaz - 2009-04-10 10:52 AM Okay, I may be entering the dumb question of the day contest here but oh well.  People are leaving me inspirational comments on my training log.  Thank you!  That is so cool.  I didn't know this was possible.  So how do I view others and do the same thing.  If ther are directions somewhere just point me there.  I think I have newbie-itis.

Thanks all! Have an awesome day!

Amy

YOu can view others' logs simply by clicking on their username on here - then it will bring you to a mini profile where there is a box called logs. Click there. You can also add people to your friends list in your log - then you can click their avatar, and it'll go straight to their log.

To leave an inspire, click "inspire me" in their log for the day and just add the comment. To reply to something that someone has left you, click the "Blog" button in their message, NOT the "Reply" button (for some reason, the reply button dumps the message into your own log). YOu can add people to your log by going to the top and clicking "Settings" - then click the tab that says "Training Blog", then the tab that says 'Friends" and enter the name of the friend and save. You can also search for friends to enter, by clicking the button (marked with ellipses) next to each empty field.

2009-04-10 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2076009

User image

Regular
2009-04-10 10:41 AM

On this note, feel free to add each other (not just me) to your friends list as well, so you can all check in on each other.

What's everyone got on tap for today? This weekend?

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-04-10 10:58 AM
2009-04-10 11:23 AM

User image

New user

Universal City, Texas
I will be riding 45 min on the bike this evening after work, 30 minutes in the pool on Saturday morning before I leave town, and 30 minute run Sunday evening after I get back. 

I am going to visit family for Easter.  It should be a good time.  My nieces are doing an easter egg hunt after church, so I am sure that will be entertaining .

-Adam
2009-04-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2076245

payneadam - 2009-04-10 12:23 PM I will be riding 45 min on the bike this evening after work, 30 minutes in the pool on Saturday morning before I leave town, and 30 minute run Sunday evening after I get back. 

I am going to visit family for Easter.  It should be a good time.  My nieces are doing an easter egg hunt after church, so I am sure that will be entertaining .

-Adam

Nice! The Easter egg hunt should be cute  I'm going to either bike tonight on the trainer, or just do some yoga, got an 8-mile run tomorrow morning and the swim practice on Sunday night.

2009-04-10 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
well good news for me. this morning was my 2 month doctors visit post partial knee replacement. i have been cleared to do almost anything-a slow jog is ok. my range of motion is at 90% of normal. now i just need to work on my strength since my quads were cut to access my knee. everyday week i am making progress-walking normally, and being able to swim and bike, and maybe do a lot more walking starting tomorrow. i hope everyone has a great weekend.

2009-04-10 1:06 PM

This weekend: 
10K run, Burnaby Lake Revenge... Last time I ran this trail, it defeated me. Today, I fight back and win.

40K bike ride.
2009-04-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2076460

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City

wplummer - 2009-04-10 12:21 PM well good news for me. this morning was my 2 month doctors visit post partial knee replacement. i have been cleared to do almost anything-a slow jog is ok. my range of motion is at 90% of normal. now i just need to work on my strength since my quads were cut to access my knee. everyday week i am making progress-walking normally, and being able to swim and bike, and maybe do a lot more walking starting tomorrow. i hope everyone has a great weekend.

Wow! That sounds like fantastic news.

Today, I am taking off. It's my birthday, and I have a hot date. My husband is taking me to a movie. Is there anything good out? Tomorrow I am riding with some friends and doing a short run afterwards. I'm not sure about Sunday. Since it's Easter and the Y is closed.

2009-04-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2076460

wplummer - 2009-04-10 1:21 PM well good news for me. this morning was my 2 month doctors visit post partial knee replacement. i have been cleared to do almost anything-a slow jog is ok. my range of motion is at 90% of normal. now i just need to work on my strength since my quads were cut to access my knee. everyday week i am making progress-walking normally, and being able to swim and bike, and maybe do a lot more walking starting tomorrow. i hope everyone has a great weekend.

Congrats!! Just make sure to take it nice and slooooooooow with the running, getting back into it, which I'm sure they've told you   

2009-04-10 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2076594

steph94483 - 2009-04-10 2:23 PM

wplummer - 2009-04-10 12:21 PM well good news for me. this morning was my 2 month doctors visit post partial knee replacement. i have been cleared to do almost anything-a slow jog is ok. my range of motion is at 90% of normal. now i just need to work on my strength since my quads were cut to access my knee. everyday week i am making progress-walking normally, and being able to swim and bike, and maybe do a lot more walking starting tomorrow. i hope everyone has a great weekend.

Wow! That sounds like fantastic news.

Today, I am taking off. It's my birthday, and I have a hot date. My husband is taking me to a movie. Is there anything good out? Tomorrow I am riding with some friends and doing a short run afterwards. I'm not sure about Sunday. Since it's Easter and the Y is closed.

Happy Birthday! Have fun with your hubbie (can't remember the last time I was on a date)! Not sure what movies are out there, though. Since I don't have a boyfriend, I never pay attention

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29