Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-04-15 4:00 AM
in reply to: #2083297

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's group OPEN
mck35 - 2009-04-14 11:45 AM David, hope you had a good weekend!  I think i will definitely try the 3x a week program.  Its not a question of time, because I want to make the time.  I dont want being busy to be an excuse, even if it means getting up at 5 in the morning.  Plus, last month I ran 3 x a week for th emonth to train for an 8k run, and I noticed a ton of improvement.  I want to keep that up.  Same thing with the swimming I'm doing now. 

Heart rate training:  I have a heart rate monitor, and ive tried using it for biking and running.  But i just think its limiting, since I dont really know my "zones" and i felt like i had to slow down soo much that I wasnt getting anything out of it.  Especially running.  But that was at the beginning of the year, when i could barely run 2 or 3 miles without dying.  Is there a test or anything like that I could do?

Goals:

1. Do a century ride.
2. 1:35 in the Batavia Triathlon
3. Under 3 hours in the Chicago Triathlon.

I had the same problems with heart rate monitors. I just wanted to run, and the thing kept beeping at me and telling me to slow down. But once I figured out the zones, and pacing, and started to see the real benefits of hard days and easy days, I became hooked.

Follow this link for a great thread on HR training. On page 1, you'll see how to determine your max heart rate:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

And this one for determining your heart rate zones:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html

If the links don't work, search the forums here for this title: "HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH!"

Good goals. And I see we now have 2 members gearing up for Chicago this summer. Awesome!

2009-04-15 4:06 AM
in reply to: #2083410

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
krystyna47 - 2009-04-14 12:14 PM My goals for the season include:

(1) Completing the HIM in July
(2) Doing several (at least 2) solo open water swims at my cottage, maybe 2000-3000m each, before the HIM
(3) I'm going away to Peru for 5 weeks the day after I do the HIM. I return Aug 14th, and I want to return to top form in time to complete the HIM in my hometown on Sept 12th.

I also want to get my left knee in decent shape so that it doesn't hurt on long-distance runs, but that isn't up to me. I also don't want to overstress any tendons or ligaments because it's the only left knee I've got.

Obviously, please be careful on your solo swims. Are you sure there isn't anyone nearby who can join you? Not even in a kayak just to keep an eye on you?

Great goals. Think of me when you visit Machu Picchu.
2009-04-15 4:30 AM
in reply to: #2084857

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Christen99 - 2009-04-14 9:13 PM

Name: Christen

Story: I'm a 37 year old mom of two boys, Tyler is 9 (almost 10) and Hunter just turned 5 last week. I've never been super athletic, but I was playing softball 4 nights a week on 5 teams when I got pregnant with my oldest (I played until I was 13 weeks pregnant). I'm competitive though, and I really enjoyed the competitive outlet of playing a sport. I did have horrible shin splints from playing in the outfield, all the running and stopping was horrible and tournaments where I was playing 5-7 games a day didn't help. I never went back to playing after my son was born because I spent 20 weeks on bedrest, and he had quite a few medical issues when he was born. Thankfully he's a very healthy, and incredibly intelligent kid!

I had my 4th surgery for endometriosis in June of 2008, and it was a very difficult recovery for me as they had to remove an ovarian tumor (thankfully benign), and my appendix along with extensive endometrial lesions on my uterus, ovaries, bladder, intestines, and the abdominal walls. During my surgery, they discovered severe bladder disease and I was shocked because I was symptomless. Sometime during the recovery, I decided I HAD to have my health back and I was going to be in charge from now on. My husband gave me a gym membership for my birthday (I begged him for it lol), and I started going as soon as I was cleared by my surgeon. I started walking on the treadmill, and lifting light weights as I gained strength back. I found out in October that I was going to have another surgery which was scheduled for December 2008. My goal was to be in the very best shape I could so that my recovery would be much easier. My friend talked me into going to spin class, and I completed HATED it because my butt hurt so bad afterwards lol. I was huffing and puffing and it wasn't fun...but the workout was awesome. I decided to give it a fair chance before quitting, and before I knew it I was going to spin class 4 days a week and I felt fantastic. I even went to spin class the night before surgery, and when the anesthesiologist had a hard time getting an IV in me I apologized because I hadn't been able to hydrate well enough after spin (he was a spinner too!). The recovery was a dream, I was off pain meds in 3 days, I was driving in 5 days, walking on the treadmill at 3 weeks, and back at spin class 5 weeks later. That's where things went wonky. I didn't have a goal, and it was hard to drag my butt to the gym and I was eating crapola because of the holidays. My friend approached me a couple of weeks ago and said she was doing her first triathlon, and it was a great beginner's tri because it was all women, the swim wasn't open water (they only let 20 swimmers enter at a time), and the distance was short. She asked if I wanted to do it and I totally laughed it off saying I'd probably drop dead. She planted a seed, and I couldn't stop thinking about it, actually dreaming of it, and finally wanting it. She and I started talking about goals, and I mentioned that I didn't have a goal to work towards so going to the gym wasn't happening and I hated it. I missed spin, but I wasn't motivated so right there on the spot I told her I'd commit to doing the triathlon with her. It's the Mermaid Series Triathlon, Fremont in June.

I went back to the gym on Friday to spin class just because it was something I really liked before and I thought it would be a good way to get my feet wet since Friday's instructor is the easiest. I showed up, and she was gone and in her place was the very intense, techno music loving high energy instructor and I couldn't just walk out...it was a challenge for me to finish. He asked where I'd been, and I told him about my lack of goals, and signing up for my first tri. He was really great about encouraging me to push through during class, and afterwards he said I did awesome at keeping up with him. I wasn't going to quit, I had to keep up!

Saturday was a crazy day here, so I ended up going to the track on Sunday and I was totally huffing and puffing after each quarter mile (I did once around the track, and rested for 2 minutes, and then continued this again 4 times). I was really frustrated afterwards because I wasn't nearly as tired after spin class as I was from running, and I felt like I could have hopped on the treadmill after finishing spin on Friday. I was totally sore on Monday, but went to the gym and spun by myself for an hour and a half and then came home and soaked in epsom salts, downed an ibuprofen and I was fine today, very little soreness.

Direction? So far, I'm completely clueless as to what direction my training should go. My goal is just to finish the triathlon, although true to my competitive nature I'd love to beat my friend's time. I feel like I can bike for days, but I have no running endurance which totally baffles me because I would have thought I would have some cardio fitness left over from spin. I'm waiting for my goggles to arrive and they should arrive tomorrow (I ordered a couple of pair of Swedes because I've never had luck with regular old goggles) so I can hop in the pool and start swimming. I love swimming, but it's been a long time for me so I'm not sure what to expect. If nothing else, at least I'm finding out how much work I have ahead of me and I can only get better. Ideally, I'd like to be working out 6 days a week. For this week and next I'm going to be working on single rotating events, and then after that I'll start bricking my workouts. Eventually I'll have to move it outside, but since I'm training mostly during the day I find that it's convenient to have the boys go to childcare at the gym. My husband is supportive, but I don't feel good about walking out the door the minute he gets home since family time is important as well.

I'm excited to be here, and I hope I don't drive you guys crazy with all the questions!

You're in, but your competitive nature is going to hate my first words of advice. So -- and knowing that you will probably ignore these words -- slow down!

You can't afford to get hurt and burned out so early in the summer. And you have a lot of time between today and Fremont on June 7. If you're soaking in salts and popping ibuprofren now, your body is going to revolt in another month or so. Training takes time. You have to start out slow, even slower than you might feel necessary, to give your body time to build endurance. Don't rush into a brick workout, and don't ignore pain. After all, if triathlon was easy, everyone would do it.

But enough of that.

You have 7 weeks, which is a long time if you use it wisely. Have you picked a training plan? If not, see if there are any here that fit your schedule. Let us know which one you choose and tell us about your workouts.

In addition, I'd attend the training clinlics for your race, which begin next week. Learn the course, get to know some other participants, and ask a ton of questions.

And if I've done my math correctly, we've just picked your 3 goals: (1) the June 7 race; (2) start a training plan; and (3) attend a race clinic.

2009-04-15 4:35 AM
in reply to: #2084886

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
krystyna47 - 2009-04-14 9:28 PM
mck35 - 2009-04-14 12:22 PM

I went through the same thing in college; I tore my right ACL, and spent the next three years wearing a knee brace for the tennis team.  Its only recently gotten to the point where I can run long distances without pain, and that's only because I started very slowly with distance running.  If i pushed at all too hard, it would hurt for a day.  So you can definitely do it, just make sure you take it easy

Ooooh, 3 years in a knee brace. I don't know how you did it! The minute I could get out of mine, I did. Here's a question for you: do you take Advil (ibuprofen) before, during, or after runs? It is mighty beneficial to me post-run, to ensure that my knee doesn't swell. I, however, have heard many long distance triathletes swearing by Advil to prevent inflammation of any and all joints. I worry, though, that by taking an Advil during a triathlon event, or even when just training, that I'd be masking pain that might be signalling to me that I should stop...

What are your thoughts?

Good question.

I've never taken anything in shorter races, but I did pop a Motrin during my Ironman, as I knew my back would be aching at the end of the bike.

If you know the difference between good pain and bad pain, you're probably okay.

What's everyone else think?

Edited by prof40 2009-04-15 4:37 AM
2009-04-15 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2084005

New user

Central MO
"A life without cable or satellite dish, and mornings spent squeezing into a Speedo? I'm impressed. You're in.

You picked a challenge for your first race. And believe me, August will come quickly. Are you following a training plan? How many days are you working out?

I looked at your logs and saw your swim frustration. Since goal 1 is to do Austin, maybe one of your other 2 should be to spend some time with a swim coach for a few lessons. I have a feeling you're doing all the right movements but your rhythm is off. And as in dancing, if you don't have rhythm, it's not a pretty sight.

Next time you're at the pool, ask the guard if the Y offers adult lessons. I bet someone there is willing to spend time with you when you tell them you're training for a 1/2 Ironman."

I actually have a sprint im doing May 31st (Kansas City Tri) and I am probably going to do some running events in between. I have been looking for a swim coach. I thought about getting a video that they advertise on here, but I didnt know if that would work out ot well. I had never "swam laps" before, I can swim just fine, just not right evidently. I had to learn how to breathe, and then once I do that I focus so much on it that I dont get my stroke right, then if I try and do drills ( I have been trying "thumb dragging on my side" and dragging my fingers in the water to help with my elbow position) then I end up forgetting to breathe.... feel kind of stupid swimming didnt seem that hard when I was a kid. I do beleive alot of my issues are conditioning, I am getting better fast in the run, and bike, but im frustrated about not getting along faster in the swim. BUT, I will get it. 

On a side note I got my biking pain/numbness firgured out with a new seat and a tweak in position and rode for 12 miles and walked a mile afterward with no issues. That made me pretty happy because I seem to enjoy the bike quite a bit, and it felt good to walk/jog after I got of the bike.

As far as my goals go, I WILL.

1.enjoy/complete and 1 mile OWS this summer at the lake
2.RUN a half marathon in Sept with my wife
3.Complete Austin 70.3

Any help you have will be greatly appreciated. I will work on the coach thing.

kris
2009-04-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2085229

User image

Regular
prof40 - 2009-04-15 4:35 AM
krystyna47 - 2009-04-14 9:28 PM
mck35 - 2009-04-14 12:22 PM

I went through the same thing in college; I tore my right ACL, and spent the next three years wearing a knee brace for the tennis team.  Its only recently gotten to the point where I can run long distances without pain, and that's only because I started very slowly with distance running.  If i pushed at all too hard, it would hurt for a day.  So you can definitely do it, just make sure you take it easy

Ooooh, 3 years in a knee brace. I don't know how you did it! The minute I could get out of mine, I did. Here's a question for you: do you take Advil (ibuprofen) before, during, or after runs? It is mighty beneficial to me post-run, to ensure that my knee doesn't swell. I, however, have heard many long distance triathletes swearing by Advil to prevent inflammation of any and all joints. I worry, though, that by taking an Advil during a triathlon event, or even when just training, that I'd be masking pain that might be signalling to me that I should stop...

What are your thoughts?

Good question.

I've never taken anything in shorter races, but I did pop a Motrin during my Ironman, as I knew my back would be aching at the end of the bike.

If you know the difference between good pain and bad pain, you're probably okay.

What's everyone else think?

I've had just about any injury you can think of, and there were days that I couldn't do anything sports wise without taking 2-4 aleve.  I don't think there is anything wrong with taking ibuprofin or something like that if you know youll be sore, but try to ween yourself off it.  Once you start taking it as a habit, you just have to take more.  Plus, there are lots of athletes I know that swear it affects their performance. 

2009-04-15 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2085368

User image

Regular
kris09 - 2009-04-15 7:17 AM I have been looking for a swim coach. I thought about getting a video that they advertise on here, but I didnt know if that would work out ot well. I had never "swam laps" before, I can swim just fine, just not right evidently. I had to learn how to breathe, and then once I do that I focus so much on it that I dont get my stroke right, then if I try and do drills ( I have been trying "thumb dragging on my side" and dragging my fingers in the water to help with my elbow position) then I end up forgetting to breathe.... feel kind of stupid swimming didnt seem that hard when I was a kid. I do beleive alot of my issues are conditioning, I am getting better fast in the run, and bike, but im frustrated about not getting along faster in the swim. BUT, I will get it. 

That's a good attitude .  However, videos might help, but the video can't tell you what youre doing wrong.  Is there anyway you can get someone to take some video of you swimming, from the side, head on, that type of thing?  i know CVS sells little disposable video cams now, so it might be worth doing just so some of the swim gurus on BT can give you some pointers. 

Edited by mck35 2009-04-15 8:53 AM
2009-04-15 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2085221

User image

Regular
prof40 - 2009-04-15 4:00 AM I had the same problems with heart rate monitors. I just wanted to run, and the thing kept beeping at me and telling me to slow down. But once I figured out the zones, and pacing, and started to see the real benefits of hard days and easy days, I became hooked.

Follow this link for a great thread on HR training. On page 1, you'll see how to determine your max heart rate:

I don't think my heart rate monitor has a lap button.  And I don't trust it to give me any accurate numbers over a time period like that.  Its so windy here where I ride, that sometimes the monitor will just give me 0 to 280 randomly.  Any monitors, not too expensive, you would recommend? 
2009-04-15 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2085368

kris09 - 2009-04-15 7:17 AM
I actually have a sprint im doing May 31st (Kansas City Tri) and I am probably going to do some running events in between. I have been looking for a swim coach. I thought about getting a video that they advertise on here, but I didnt know if that would work out ot well. I had never "swam laps" before, I can swim just fine, just not right evidently. I had to learn how to breathe, and then once I do that I focus so much on it that I dont get my stroke right, then if I try and do drills ( I have been trying "thumb dragging on my side" and dragging my fingers in the water to help with my elbow position) then I end up forgetting to breathe.... feel kind of stupid swimming didnt seem that hard when I was a kid. I do beleive alot of my issues are conditioning, I am getting better fast in the run, and bike, but im frustrated about not getting along faster in the swim. BUT, I will get it.

I know there are a lot of people on this site who aren't fans of it, but I got started right away with Total Immersion thanks to a friend who is a Masters swimmer and it's been a big help for me. You can work on drills and stroke side by side if need be (I do drills to warm up, then swim). The book is fairly helpful and I have a vid on my computer at home I could email or burn and ship if you're interested. I know how frustrating it is to be in the pool and not go anywhere, but it just seems to take time and patience.
2009-04-15 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2085646

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
mck35 - 2009-04-15 9:59 AM
prof40 - 2009-04-15 4:00 AM I had the same problems with heart rate monitors. I just wanted to run, and the thing kept beeping at me and telling me to slow down. But once I figured out the zones, and pacing, and started to see the real benefits of hard days and easy days, I became hooked.

I don't think my heart rate monitor has a lap button.  And I don't trust it to give me any accurate numbers over a time period like that.  Its so windy here where I ride, that sometimes the monitor will just give me 0 to 280 randomly.  Any monitors, not too expensive, you would recommend? 

Good question.

I spent about $100 on mine. It's a Timex Ironman HRM with 100-lap function. I love it.

Picking a watch is a personal decision, as you're going to wear it every day. Some swear by Garmin, others by Polar. I'd read some gear reviews on this site and then start looking around at what's available at stores near you. You might want to take a look at this catalog, too:

http://www.trisports.com/

It's a great company, and BT members get a discount on price and shipping.

2009-04-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2085770

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
casaubon - 2009-04-15 10:39 AM
kris09 - 2009-04-15 7:17 AM

I know there are a lot of people on this site who aren't fans of it, but I got started right away with Total Immersion thanks to a friend who is a Masters swimmer and it's been a big help for me. You can work on drills and stroke side by side if need be (I do drills to warm up, then swim). The book is fairly helpful and I have a vid on my computer at home I could email or burn and ship if you're interested. I know how frustrating it is to be in the pool and not go anywhere, but it just seems to take time and patience.

Great idea! A lot of folks swear by the TI method. It is definitely worth checking out.

2009-04-15 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2085223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
prof40 - 2009-04-15 5:06 AM

Obviously, please be careful on your solo swims. Are you sure there isn't anyone nearby who can join you? Not even in a kayak just to keep an eye on you?

Great goals. Think of me when you visit Machu Picchu.

Oh no! Don't worry, I'll be getting relatives or friends to go kayaking or canoeing at the same time that I go swimming. I would never go swimming alone!
2009-04-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2070143

Hi David,

Do you have room for one more?

Name: Jerry

Story: Started running around my 45th birthday last May, clocking in around 205 lbs (I'm 5'8") and barely able to get around the corner (out of sight of my wife) before stopping to walk. Ran 5-6 times a week for a few months and it was pretty much torture... bagan to wear me down... so I started thinking about cross-training. Around the same time, a friend of mine who had just done IM FL told me about sprint tri's (I had never heard of them) and encouraged me to try one. I couldn't believe an Ironman type guy would be so encouraging to a slacker like myself! I've always thought Ironman Hawaii was about the coolest thing I've ever seen so I started thinking about it... got in the pool shortly after that and started learning to swim.

I thought swimming wouldn't be that hard, since I had dropped a few lbs and was doing long runs of 12 miles on the weekends. Also, I've surfed my whole life and have spent a lot of time in the water. Boy was I wrong. At the end of my first 25 yd "lap" (I later learned that was only half a lap) I thought I was gonna die! Literally. My heart was pounding in my chest so hard I probably looked like one of those old cartoon characters. Or Roger Rabbit or something... my first swim workout was 600 yards, 25 at a time!

I've been biking a bit (a friend, the same IM guy, gave me one of his old bikes) but the mid-Atlantic weather has been really bad this winter so I haven't gotten many miles in. I have a training log here, but haven't entered anything on BT yet. I haven't actually done a tri yet, but signed up for the Nations Triathlon in September and hope to do a sprint next month. I've done a 5k, and 1/2 marathon, and a 10-miler so far this year.

(If I'm in the group... I'll post my goals)

Thanks,

Jerry 
2009-04-15 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2086932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
cunninghamjerry - 2009-04-15 4:02 PM Hi David,

I thought swimming wouldn't be that hard, since I had dropped a few lbs and was doing long runs of 12 miles on the weekends. Also, I've surfed my whole life and have spent a lot of time in the water. Boy was I wrong. At the end of my first 25 yd "lap" (I later learned that was only half a lap) I thought I was gonna die! Literally. My heart was pounding in my chest so hard I probably looked like one of those old cartoon characters. Or Roger Rabbit or something... my first swim workout was 600 yards, 25 at a time!

Ha, SO TRUE. I didn't realize how hard swimming was until I got in the water and tried to actually swim! My first time, 1yr and 2months ago,  after over 8 yrs of not swimming (I stopped all the kiddy lessons at age 12), I felt exhausted after only 20 minutes. But, improvements come in swimming very quickly, I find. One day you're barely finishing 100m free swim non-stop, the next you can do it in under 1min30sec without breaking a sweat, so to speak!
2009-04-15 6:52 PM

User image

Regular
So this is for everyone... I'm supposed to do 20 x 50 tomorrow as part of my swim.  Does anyone have any tips for keeping track of what set I'm on?  I'm worried I'm gonna keep forgetting and end up doing 30 sets or something.
2009-04-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2087430

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
mck35 - 2009-04-15 7:52 PM So this is for everyone... I'm supposed to do 20 x 50 tomorrow as part of my swim.  Does anyone have any tips for keeping track of what set I'm on?  I'm worried I'm gonna keep forgetting and end up doing 30 sets or something.

I'm not sure if you're doing the 20 sets continuous, but I always mentally stop (or physically, but not for more than 5-10 seconds) at every set of 5, and then begin counting anew. If you aren't too keen on that, I can also suggest making sentences in your head with the number of laps you've just completed in the sentence. (Yes, I am 5 yrs old!)

Such as: 7, I just finished lap 7; there are 7 days in the week. 8, I just finished lap 8, some scientists think that everyone should drink 8 glasses of water a day. And so forth. They end up getting ridiculous like: 11, I just finished lap 11, thank god I don't have 11 toes.

Hope that helps.

2009-04-15 8:39 PM

"mck35 - 2009-04-15 7:52 PM So this is for everyone... I'm supposed to do 20 x 50 tomorrow as part of my swim.  Does anyone have any tips for keeping track of what set I'm on?  I'm worried I'm gonna keep forgetting and end up doing 30 sets or something."

I just keep repeating in my head what lap I'm on... but it gets confusing when I try to count other things at the same time (like my stroke count).

Also... this is silly... but this is what I do sometimes. My pool has rows of tiles going away from the edge of the pool. I put something on the first row (my watch, a flip flop, etc) and I move it one tile for each interval I do. I go out to the tenth row and then work back towards the edge of the pool (that's 20). I try to do this nonchalant-ly so I don't look like a geek. Please don't tell anybody... :)

They also make little clicker things that you can put on your finger like a ring.

Jerry

Edited by cunninghamjerry 2009-04-15 8:41 PM
2009-04-16 5:45 AM
in reply to: #2086932

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
cunninghamjerry - 2009-04-15 4:02 PM Hi David,

Do you have room for one more?

Name: Jerry

Story: Started running around my 45th birthday last May, clocking in around 205 lbs (I'm 5'8") and barely able to get around the corner (out of sight of my wife) before stopping to walk. Ran 5-6 times a week for a few months and it was pretty much torture... bagan to wear me down... so I started thinking about cross-training. Around the same time, a friend of mine who had just done IM FL told me about sprint tri's (I had never heard of them) and encouraged me to try one. I couldn't believe an Ironman type guy would be so encouraging to a slacker like myself! I've always thought Ironman Hawaii was about the coolest thing I've ever seen so I started thinking about it... got in the pool shortly after that and started learning to swim.

I've been biking a bit (a friend, the same IM guy, gave me one of his old bikes) but the mid-Atlantic weather has been really bad this winter so I haven't gotten many miles in. I have a training log here, but haven't entered anything on BT yet. I haven't actually done a tri yet, but signed up for the Nations Triathlon in September and hope to do a sprint next month. I've done a 5k, and 1/2 marathon, and a 10-miler so far this year.

(If I'm in the group... I'll post my goals)

Thanks,

Jerry 

You're in. Old guys have to stick together.

Start logging your workouts so the group can take a peek at what you're doing.

And what a great race to do! I've looked at it for 2 years now, but  September is just a tough month for me. The course looks great, and a weekend in Washington is always fun.
2009-04-16 5:48 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

Good ideas on counting laps.

If you spring for that new watch, you can use the lap button.

2009-04-16 11:49 AM

User image

Woodbridge, VA
still taking applications?

I am James. I am 27, married, no kids, work full-time, and go to law school at night. Last year I completed three sprint triathlons. This year is the year of the ODT and maybe end with a HIM. I generally average 4 hrs/wk right now, but will bump it up as the summer arrives. I like to talk tri and am interested in gaining other's insight.

Best Regards,

-James
2009-04-16 2:17 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver

Name: Greg

Story: I am a 40 year old Advanced Placement teacher (AP Gov/Pol and AP US History) and I volunteer as a youth pastor (70 hrs a week for both). I played baseball, football and basketball in high school, and a little college baseball. For 20 years I've been a recreational athlete at best. I am an outdoorsman, camping and working on our property (40 acres). A friend of mine is doing Ironman China Saturday. He runs a mission in the Philippines with his wife. They take girls out of abusive situations and the sex-slave industry and reabilitate them, school them and love them. He's raising money for his mission and talked me into doing a 1/2 iron to raise money, too. That's why I started. I've been training 7 weeks; I'm up to 10 hours a week, more or less. My 1/2 IM event is in Spokane, WA on August 2nd. The best thing about me tri-wise--I'm driven and dedicated. The worst, 20 years of limited exercise, and no swimming experience. On the positive side, I've gone from 100 meters to 2500 meters in the pool in 7 weeks and my best friend is the high school swim coach and was a college swimmer at UW.

Current training: 8-12 hrs a week; 3 swims, 3 bikes, 4 runs. I bike and/or run M,W,F,Sat and Swim T,TH, Sat. Not much BRICKing yet. I average 50 minutes in pool, 90 minute bikes, 60 minute runs.

This year's races: Cascade Edge Olympic, June 20, Trioka 1/2 Iron Aug 2, perhaps Grand Columbian 1/2 Iron, Sept 16. I'll probably throw in a Sprint and open water swim in May. We've had a wet, cold winter in the Northwest. I saw the sun today. It was last out in October (only a slight exageration).

Weightloss: I started at 6'2, 202, I'm 188 now, hoping to race at 180.

Married 17 years, High school sweetheart; one 8 yr. old daughter. 

Thanks. I hope I get in. I'm very alone in my training so far.  

Edited by gplitt 2009-05-11 4:59 PM

2009-04-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2089470

User image

Regular
Vancouver

Goals for this old man:
1). Finish a 1/2 IM, in under 6 hours if I can do it (August 2). My goal 6 weeks a go was finish--now it's under 6.

2). Not get injured. I'm dealing with lots of aches but no injuries so far.

3). Maintain everything else going on in life, especially my relationship with my wife and my job. This sport is getting addictive and expensive.

One question. As I've moved up to 7-9 mile runs, my left hip is hurting. I can get through it, but the pain lasts all day. Is this common? Am I overtraining? I'm training six days a week right now. My 1/2 is 16 weeks away, but that is all too close for me. I didn't have any pain when I was running 3-6 miles a time.

A thought on the Advil. I have a good friend who is a nurse who is always telling me to stop taking Advil as it is bad on the liver. I've taken it for 20 years as I get headaches a lot. He says for pain yes, but not more than a few times a week.

Edited by gplitt 2009-04-16 5:32 PM
2009-04-16 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys, Thanks for the swim tips!  Went really well, what I ended up doing, instead of counting my stroke, I counted my leave time and lap, so instead of 1,2,3,breathe, I did 1,10,1,breathe... 2,20,2,breathe.  At least I didnt lose count, lol.

About the advil/liver thing.  I've heard that too, but I've heard you would have to take a lot, or have a pre-existing liver condition, due to drinking or disease, for the effect to be noticeable.  I think like anything else, in moderation, its okay.

2009-04-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2089655

User image

Regular
gplitt - 2009-04-16 3:23 PM One question. As I've moved up to 7-9 mile runs, my left hip is hurting. I can get through it, but the pain lasts all day. Is this common? Am I overtraining? I'm training six days a week right now. My 1/2 is 16 weeks away, but that is all too close for me. I didn't have any pain when I was running 3-6 miles a time. 

Did you make a big jump in terms of running time?  The 10% rule is pretty good, so if you jumped up more than 10% in time running, either total per week, or individual runs, that could be it.  I think you said your running 4x a week, so maybe cut back to 3, and make sure you have an off day between runs, that might help. 
2009-04-16 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
David,
Thanks for doing this!
Seems like I'll be grandpa here! I'm Jaime 43 years old. Married and 2 kids. I've always been doing some sort of athletic activity. Played tennis for the last 7 years. Before that I did a bit of distance running.  Finally put on my running shoes this year again -love it! My knees hurt a little though    This year I've ran Tybee Island 5 mile, Hunter Army Air Field 10k and the Beaufort Twilight Run 5 mile.  (If I become king for a day ALL races will be in the evening!)
Also have been swiming about twice a week.  My kids 5 and 6 swim, so instead of playing with the blackberry decided to jump in the pool.  Doing about an hour -2000m- per session trying to get some endurance - the pool is still kicking my rear.
No kdding always wanted to start training for triathlon but ........................... excuses.
Now, tomorrow my first ever tri-bike arrives on the mail, a Cervelo P2 2008, and it feels like Christmas in April!!!  What I'm gonna do with it?????????  Have no idea yet!!!!!
Thought about going with the 2x balance training program, what do you think?
Goals....................
1. Start training for a triathlon........... almost there
2. Run my first spring (and many others)Triathlon safely and without embarrasing myself.  When? When ready. Savannah Sprint Series June 7h might be too soon.
3. Virginia Beach Rock 'n Roll half - New York 26.2

Question.
What kind of rides/training should I start doing on the bike? Should I join a group or go solo at my own pace?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18