BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-04-18 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2092238

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - OPEN

AngelaP - 2009-04-17 2:06 PM Hi Karen,

I would like to join your group if i can, it says 5 people per group and looks like you have more than five so not sure if you're still taking people.

A little about me....

Well, none of my family is athletic at all, yet somehow I LOVE sports and running and being active no matter what it is. I have grown to love running and while not really a pro at it, I still love it! I love bike riding too, and actually trained for the MS 150 about 4 yrs ago, but got into a car accident right before the ride and haven't been on a bike since.

However, I plan to have my first Triathlon July 19, 2009 and am super excited about it! But have no idea what the 'right' way to train is. Which is why I am here :-)

I plan to run, swim and bike ride twice a week each, and include strength training somewhere in there.

Also, I am 24, soon to be 25 right before the race, and am engaged to be married in October 2009 so a little bit of weight loss would be nice too (when isn't it) :-)

I hope you can be that voice of reason and calm.

Angela

Hi, Angela.

We're going to be a big group, but I think it will work out fine.

Sounds like you have a lot of plans coming up. I think triathlon will actually help keep you organized and sane. Let me know how getting on the bike goes for you since it's been a while.

In the next day or so, I'll peek at your logs and offer some suggestions to help you reach your goals.

2009-04-18 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2093707

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

greenluv4evr - 2009-04-18 9:37 AM

Hi!!
I'm Christine and I'd also like to join this group.
There's only one problem though: I'm not yet 18 so I'm wondering whether this is allowed? However, I would love to become more fit and be able to do triathlons (I already run a bit). Weight loss is also a big motivation for me. I've recently gotten into working out and I really LOVE it!! (Not kidding here in the least.)
Anyway, if I'm allowed to join, please tell me?
Thanks!!

Welcome, Christine.

Age is not a problem. I think it's fun to have people of all different ages and backgrounds in a group. We can learn a lot from each other.

I'll take a look at your logs in the next day or so and offer some suggestions and ideas for your training.

This is going to be fun.

2009-04-18 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - CLOSED

Well, group, we are full!

It's a big group, but I think it will be fine.

So, let's get talking.

First, I apologize for all the posts in a row, but I wanted to welcome everyone individually in the forum (and I'll poke in and say hi on your logs, too).

How's everyone's weekend going? Any big training plans or races?

I ran a 5k this morning. My first standalone 5k in over a year. I had forgotten how much fun they can be. Just all out effort for 30 minutes. I felt like I was going to puke on one of the hills...and I loved it!

Yep. I'm a little odd.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

2009-04-18 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2094554

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-04-18 8:14 PM YEAH Karin, great to hear from you!!
I forgot to tell you what races I'm planning on doing.

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville (Triathlon)
6/14/2009 in Naperville , Illinois

Wauconda Sprint Triathlon (Triathlon)
7/26/2009 in Wauconda , Illinois

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint (Triathlon)
8/16/2009 in Pleasant Prairie , Wisconsin

Lake Geneva Triathlon - SuperSprint (Triathlon)
9/12/2009 in Fontana , Wisconsin

The only one I've even paid for is the Subaru (race for Ovarian Cancer Research) in Naperville.  The Wauconda Sprint I will probably do as a relay (swim of course).
I've heard great things about Pleasant Prairie and I'll probably sign my kids up for the kids tri.  And my parents live in Lake Geneva.  So there you have it.

Thanks for the encouragement on the run.  I definately need to change my thinking.  It will come with time.  I can see progress every time I go out there.

Excited to be part of you group!  Look forward to working with you.
~Marsha

Marsha,

That looks like a great schedule. I like having about one race a month, too.

Which race is your A race? That is, which one do you want to do the best at? It's a good idea to prioritize your races so you know how to focus your training so that you "peak" for the right one (you can't peak for all of them).

For example, my A race this year will be the Augusta 70.3 in September. I'll do several other races, but the half ironman is the one that I want to excel at, so my training will be geared around that distance and timing.

2009-04-18 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2094576

User image

Lake Stevens, WA

Oh, my real name is Shirley.  I forgot to put that in! 

Glad to hear that someone else isn't an expert at fixing flats!  But I think I'll get together with my husband, and we'll practice.  Yesterday, we did chain cleaning and lubricating after watching that very helpful video here on BT.  Maybe there's a video about flat repair somewhere, too! Laughing

2009-04-19 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2094585

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Just a test post, for some reason I am not seeing all the threads and have attempted to post a couple times but it will not post.

2009-04-19 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2094585

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
2009-04-19 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2095221

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-19 11:12 AM test

Did you pass?

2009-04-19 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2095227

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
No, unfortunately.  I can not see the thread.  I can only see like the first 20 posts in the forum and it just stops.  The last post I can read is the one you posted on 4/28 at about 10 pm.  I have sent a message to the moderator.
2009-04-19 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2094564

User image

Prattville
Karen - 
  You're more than welcome to look at the logs, of course, but you'll only find today's long bike (90 min).  I'll put up a race report in about an hour.  It's under the SHAC Tri in St George Utah.

Question:  I've got a half marathon in early Aug and my Half Ironman in late October.  They're both A priority for me.  How should I divvy up the training between now and Aug?  Run focus with just a little bike and swim or just train for the Half Ironman and let the half marathon training come from that?

Thanks 
2009-04-19 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2094598

User image

Veteran
Barrington

Marsha,

Which race is your A race? That is, which one do you want to do the best at? It's a good idea to prioritize your races so you know how to focus your training so that you "peak" for the right one (you can't peak for all of them).

For example, my A race this year will be the Augusta 70.3 in September. I'll do several other races, but the half ironman is the one that I want to excel at, so my training will be geared around that distance and timing.

Karin,

Well, I haven't really prioritized my races.  Pleasant Prairie in Aug looks like it would be a good "A" race. 

I'm a little frustrated from no training this weekend.  My baby was sick and throwing up all weekend.  I just couldn't bear to leave her side.  I'm glad I didn't take my scheduled day off on Friday (that would have been 3 days in a row).

Hopefully, I will be up and out of here before she rises in the morning for a good strong and rested 5am swim workout with the Master's at the Y.

I noticed that you ran a 5k this weekend.  Do you recommend sprinkling a few "fun" races into your workout routine?  Or would that be too much for me considering this is my first year back and I already have 1 tri scheduled per month?
Appreciate your feedback.Cool
~Marsha

Edited by Mars11 2009-04-19 7:48 PM

2009-04-20 6:24 AM
in reply to: #2095855

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-04-19 6:54 PM Karen - 
  You're more than welcome to look at the logs, of course, but you'll only find today's long bike (90 min).  I'll put up a race report in about an hour.  It's under the SHAC Tri in St George Utah.

Question:  I've got a half marathon in early Aug and my Half Ironman in late October.  They're both A priority for me.  How should I divvy up the training between now and Aug?  Run focus with just a little bike and swim or just train for the Half Ironman and let the half marathon training come from that?

Thanks 

It kind of depends...which one is the most important to you? As I think you realize, you won't be able to train for both as priority races at the same time. If it were me, and I was most interested in PRing at the half marathon, I would have a run-focused schedule and probably cut back on biking and swimming to the bare minimum to get me through an HIM. Once the half marathon was over, I would then roll right into HIM training, but probably with a lighter running schedule for the first couple of weeks to allow recovery from the half marathon.

If the HIM is the most important, then, yes, focus training on the HIM. Depending on your schedule, you may want to consider switching either a swim or a bike for a fast-paced tempo run or speed workout geared toward your half marathon goal.

2009-04-20 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2095948

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-04-19 7:47 PM

Marsha,

Karin,

Well, I haven't really prioritized my races.  Pleasant Prairie in Aug looks like it would be a good "A" race. 

I'm a little frustrated from no training this weekend.  My baby was sick and throwing up all weekend.  I just couldn't bear to leave her side.  I'm glad I didn't take my scheduled day off on Friday (that would have been 3 days in a row).

Hopefully, I will be up and out of here before she rises in the morning for a good strong and rested 5am swim workout with the Master's at the Y.

I noticed that you ran a 5k this weekend.  Do you recommend sprinkling a few "fun" races into your workout routine?  Or would that be too much for me considering this is my first year back and I already have 1 tri scheduled per month?
Appreciate your feedback.Cool
~Marsha

First, don't let the parenting responsibilities (the most important thing right now) worry you about your training. It's going to happen. It happens to everyone who has kids. As time goes on, you will probably find creative ways to get short, alternative workouts in when you are unable to do the workouts on your schedule.

Focusing on a race in August is probably a good plan. That gives you time to put together a decent, focused schedule, but it's not too far out to make it feel like forever just getting there. So, what you'll want to do is build a schedule around that race and then use the other races as either tests of where you are or integrate them as long workouts.

I enjoy standalone running races...I was a runner before I was a triathlete. My focus this winter has been on running (training for an Ironman gave me great endurance but taught me to run slow, so I am trying to run my version of "fast"), so I am trying to get into a few running races before triathlon season kicks off for me (not until June).  5ks are great because I can go to an 8:00 a.m. race and be home by 9:00 a.m. if need be. They also let me work on really runnning fast. I would say they are good training tools for everyone (if not overdone), but it really depends on your schedule. Triathlon training is fairly intense on its own, so you don't want to put any unneccessary additional stressors on you or your family. If it fits in, I say go for it. If not, it's no big deal.

2009-04-20 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Hi Karen, I think I have my issues worked out with my browser to where I can see the entire thread now.  I was hoping that whenever you have a chance, can you look at my training logs, I have kept them fairly well, and offer me some advice on what I can do, add, change in order to really start pushing my endurance and my distances.  I don't want to blow up or burn out seeing how this is my first season, but I have hopes of attempting my first HIM next year and feel that I really need to ramp up my intensity.

Also, I would like to attempt my first 1/2 marry this year sometime, any ideas as to which one would be a good first race?  I was thinking maybe the Cell South in Nov/Dec.

Thanks,

Todd
2009-04-21 5:09 PM
in reply to: #2096718

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-20 9:05 AM Hi Karen, I think I have my issues worked out with my browser to where I can see the entire thread now.  I was hoping that whenever you have a chance, can you look at my training logs, I have kept them fairly well, and offer me some advice on what I can do, add, change in order to really start pushing my endurance and my distances.  I don't want to blow up or burn out seeing how this is my first season, but I have hopes of attempting my first HIM next year and feel that I really need to ramp up my intensity.

Also, I would like to attempt my first 1/2 marry this year sometime, any ideas as to which one would be a good first race?  I was thinking maybe the Cell South in Nov/Dec.

Thanks,

Todd

Hey, Todd.

Sorry it's taken a bit to get back to you. I seem to have developed bronchitis and spent yesterday and most of today feeling sorry for myself. No training for me for the next several days.

Anyway, I did look at you logs, and it looks like you have a nice balance of training. One thing that's helpful when you record your training (for you as much as for anyone else offering suggestions) to also regularly record what the objective of the training was (speed, endurance, etc.) and how it went (how did you feel, was it a good day or a bad day, do you feel like you're making progress?). 

Question: Are you doing speedwork in all three sports, such as intervals, tempo, steady state, etc.?

For running, I also recommend doing hill repeats and stuff like running drills or plyometrics once a week or alternating weeks. These help build strength and balance.

Along with that, you may want to incorporate some basic core/strength training, if you aren't already. Trust me when I say it's critical to making a long, tough day easier.

I've run the Cellular South Half Marathon (early December, I believe). Mississippi Track Club always puts on a good race. It's kind of a boring course, though...just out and back on Highland Colony Parkway.  There's also Mississippi Blues in January, and if you are willing to travel, St. Jude in Memphis in December. I hope to do one of those full marathons. Maybe we can do some long runs together.

Final thoughts: I would suggest throwing in the occasional brick workout. You don't need to replicate actual triathlon distances, but a 15-20 minute transition run off the bike once a week is great for getting you used to the feeling of running on bike legs.

2009-04-22 11:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Karen, sorry for the daily in responding.  I am on the road for the next couple weeks and training from a suitcase.  But I was able to bring the bike along!

Thanks for all the advice.  I am doing some interval training, but not exactly sure if I am doing it correctly or in the right amount.  I basically push the pace for a specified distance and/or period of time and then back the pace off a bit to recover and bring my breathing under control for a period of time and then push again.  I repeat this over the length of the workout.  For example, in swimming, I may swim 400 m at race pace, then 400 m focusing on form, recovery and breathing  then pick back up to race pace.  I try to recover while still in motion because I won't be able to stop during the race.  Same in running and cycling.  I am doing some core and strength training but nearly as much as I would like to do.

I have considered working with a running coach to get more into the strength and speed aspect and do some track work...just haven't made it to that point yet.

2009-04-23 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Does anyone have an opinion on weight lifting as a part of tri-training?

I finally feel as though I have a solid base to build on and would like to take it to the next level, but don't want to be counter productive.

How much, how often, how many reps, how many minutes, what muscles to focus on.....

Finally getting back into it today, now that everyone at my house is healthy.  It really sucks when you can't workout because someone else is sick!!  I had a GREAT BRICK workout this morning (although I ran BEFORE my spin class)  That still counts doesn't it?  I plan on getting in the water this evening to stretch it all out.  It's going to feel so good!

Happy training!!
~Marsha

Edited by Mars11 2009-04-23 2:39 PM
2009-04-23 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2104410

User image

Veteran
Barrington
msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-22 11:56 PM Karen, sorry for the daily in responding.  I am on the road for the next couple weeks and training from a suitcase.  But I was able to bring the bike along!

Thanks for all the advice.  I am doing some interval training, but not exactly sure if I am doing it correctly or in the right amount.  I basically push the pace for a specified distance and/or period of time and then back the pace off a bit to recover and bring my breathing under control for a period of time and then push again.  I repeat this over the length of the workout.  For example, in swimming, I may swim 400 m at race pace, then 400 m focusing on form, recovery and breathing  then pick back up to race pace.  I try to recover while still in motion because I won't be able to stop during the race.  Same in running and cycling.  I am doing some core and strength training but nearly as much as I would like to do.

I have considered working with a running coach to get more into the strength and speed aspect and do some track work...just haven't made it to that point yet.

Todd,
Hope you don't mind if I reply about your interval training.  My opinion as a swimmer is to definately change it up a bit.  It's important to get your rest and there is a time and place for active recovery.  Sprinting is also an important part of Tri-training.
  This is a great set for anyone that is interval training in the water: Sprint a 100 then taking 30 sec rest (catch your breath) sprint another 100 trying to keep pace.  Do that as many times as you can until your pace reduces by more than 5 sec per 100.  You really need to push yourself on each 100 to do the set properly otherwise you'll go on forever.  Get your heartrate up!
  You're correct in stating that you are not going to be able to rest during the race, but your muscles also need to be taught how to sprint.  For example at the start of the race, to get around a buoy or just to get out of a pack of other swimmers.  You don't want that to be the first time you attempt to get out of your comfort zone.
If you try it, let me know how it goes.
~Marsha

Edited by Mars11 2009-04-23 2:41 PM
2009-04-23 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2106022

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-04-23 2:29 PM Does anyone have an opinion on weight lifting as a part of tri-training?

I finally feel as though I have a solid base to build on and would like to take it to the next level, but don't want to be counter productive.

How much, how often, how many reps, how many minutes, what muscles to focus on.....

Finally getting back into it today, now that everyone at my house is healthy.  It really sucks when you can't workout because someone else is sick!!  I had a GREAT BRICK workout this morning (although I ran BEFORE my spin class)  That still counts doesn't it?  I plan on getting in the water this evening to stretch it all out.  It's going to feel so good!

Happy training!!
~Marsha

Marsha,

Weight training is an excellent supplement to triathlon training. I am more of the mind that you want to do lighter weights with more reps, rather than heavy weights, low reps. Also, I would not do it more than twice a week during the season. Off season is a good time to focus on strength, but during the season, you want your focus to be more race specific. That's my philosophy, anyway. I work all muscle groups. I might skip leg work if I have a heavy bike/run week.

Lately, I haven't had time to add an extra trip to the gym for weight training; however, I do core work two or three times a week, even if it's only 10 minutes of pushups, crunches, planks, etc. Having a strong core is vital to not only being able to compete well, but also staying healthy and uninjured.

Good job with that brick (and of course it counts)! 

Karen

2009-04-23 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2106050

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-04-23 2:38 PM
msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-22 11:56 PM Karen, sorry for the daily in responding.  I am on the road for the next couple weeks and training from a suitcase.  But I was able to bring the bike along!

Todd,
Hope you don't mind if I reply about your interval training.  My opinion as a swimmer is to definately change it up a bit.  It's important to get your rest and there is a time and place for active recovery.  Sprinting is also an important part of Tri-training.
  This is a great set for anyone that is interval training in the water: Sprint a 100 then taking 30 sec rest (catch your breath) sprint another 100 trying to keep pace.  Do that as many times as you can until your pace reduces by more than 5 sec per 100.  You really need to push yourself on each 100 to do the set properly otherwise you'll go on forever.  Get your heartrate up!
  You're correct in stating that you are not going to be able to rest during the race, but your muscles also need to be taught how to sprint.  For example at the start of the race, to get around a buoy or just to get out of a pack of other swimmers.  You don't want that to be the first time you attempt to get out of your comfort zone.
~Marsha

My thoughts exactly.

I mix up my swim workouts, too. I'll do sprints (50s, 100s) and then another day some steady state, 3/4 speed longer swims (300-500), and then the occasional straight-through timed mile or something. I also do other strokes (25 free + 25 alternate stroke) and will throw in some IMs.

I have a similar approach to speedwork for running. For example, one week, I did 4x400 with 400 recovery and the 4x800 with 400 recovery. The next week, I did a timed mile, and the 8x400 at a pace faster than the timed mile with a 2-minute recovery. I like to do tempo runs, too. These are usually my medium long or long runs, and the tempo portion may be 10 - 30 minutes. Pace for the shorter tempos is usually my 5k pace and the longer tempos, my 10k or half marathon pace. I also run hill repeats. (BTW, I haven't done any of this on a track. I just find a flat stretch of road.

And of course, you can do the same on the bike. One of my favorite killer workouts is 6x6 minutes at threshold pace with 2-minute recovery. 

The key is you want to do most of these workouts below a full-out, 100% speed. There is the occasion (usually for testing purposes) that you want to go all out.

2009-04-25 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Subject: Nutrition help
Any suggestions on before or after protein:carb drinks, foods, etc?

I know every one has their own favorite routines.  What are your thoughts?

~Marsha

2009-04-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2106609

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-04-23 6:19 PM

Mars11 - 2009-04-23 2:38 PM

Todd,
~Marsha

My thoughts exactly.

I mix up my swim workouts, too. I'll do sprints (50s, 100s) and then another day some steady state, 3/4 speed longer swims (300-500), and then the occasional straight-through timed mile or something. I also do other strokes (25 free + 25 alternate stroke) and will throw in some IMs.

I have a similar approach to speedwork for running. For example, one week, I did 4x400 with 400 recovery and the 4x800 with 400 recovery. The next week, I did a timed mile, and the 8x400 at a pace faster than the timed mile with a 2-minute recovery. I like to do tempo runs, too. These are usually my medium long or long runs, and the tempo portion may be 10 - 30 minutes. Pace for the shorter tempos is usually my 5k pace and the longer tempos, my 10k or half marathon pace. I also run hill repeats. (BTW, I haven't done any of this on a track. I just find a flat stretch of road.

And of course, you can do the same on the bike. One of my favorite killer workouts is 6x6 minutes at threshold pace with 2-minute recovery. 

The key is you want to do most of these workouts below a full-out, 100% speed. There is the occasion (usually for testing purposes) that you want to go all out.

Great advice, so I will starting working in more sprints and intervals.  I think I will do this on my shorter workouts.  I have just been concerned with building my distance, especially on the run.  Seems like the more I run the more sluggish I feel.
2009-04-25 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2109517

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Nutrition help

Mars11 - 2009-04-25 8:17 AM Any suggestions on before or after protein:carb drinks, foods, etc?

I know every one has their own favorite routines.  What are your thoughts?

~Marsha

You're right, Marsha. This is something you will need to play around with to see what works best for you. I would, however, avoid too much protein before. For example, I will do fine if I have a lowfat yogurt as part of my before meal, but I wouldn't have a turkey sandwich. For after, because I am not usually interested in real food, I will have an Endurox (and usually only after longer or harder efforts...I don't worry much about it for shorter, easy workouts). That's only because I like Endurox. I even use it as an in-ride drink for long rides. Some people swear by chocoloate milk, and some people can actually eat something real and wholesome (like a turkey sandwich).

Karen

2009-04-25 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2109698

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Great advice, so I will starting working in more sprints and intervals.  I think I will do this on my shorter workouts.  I have just been concerned with building my distance, especially on the run.  Seems like the more I run the more sluggish I feel.

Hmm...the more you run, the more sluggish you feel? Do you mean, the more days a week you run, the more volume, or the more miles in a single run? And by sluggish, what do you mean? Legs start to give out? Breathing is labored? Or just plain tired?

Hopefully, we can figure out some strategies that will help you move beyond the sluggishness.

Karen

Edited by kvesey 2009-04-25 2:10 PM
2009-04-25 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

So, as I was sitting here sniffling and feeling sorry for myself because I can't work out this weekend, I thought it might be a good topic to make a quick post about...Dealing with Being Sick.

A week ago, I woke up with a scratchy throat, but otherwise, felt fine. Ran a race in the morning and felt great. The next day, the scratchy throat was no worse, but I felt kind of headachy and fatigued. Took a nap. Didn't work out. By Monday, I was feeling pretty whooped, and the scratchy throat was starting to develop into a cough, but I went for a run after work, and that seemed to be the tipping point. Since then, I've been pretty sick with bronchitis or the flu or something that is just kicking my a$$. I have not put on my running shoes or sat on the bike or jumped in the pool since Monday. And it's so hard.

So, what are the rules of thumb for when you're sick? When do you train? When do you not train? I have found that if I only have a head cold and no fever that I can work out just fine (I'm usually just snotty). I will ease up on intensity and distance. I don't want to push my system over the edge, but I have found that a quick run will often help me feel better for a little while. Did you know that exercise is a natural antihistamine?

On the other hand, if I've got chest congestion or a cough or a fever, I will usually not work out. I probably should not have run on Monday. My experience has been that it almost always makes me feel worse.

The reason I think I may have had the flu (I rarely go to the doctor...I have to be really sick or injured) is it's taking an awful long time for the general feeling of malaise to leave my body. As long as I don't move, I actually feel okay. Once I move around, I start feeling pretty rotten again. As much as I would like to try a run or swim or ride, I know that, one, I won't be able to get through it, and, two, it just may make me worse.

I think as athletes, managing and recovering from illness or injury is often harder than the actual training we do. I don't know about you, but I get so worried about lost fitness.

What do you guys do to cope with illness or injury that won't let you train?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11