Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2361909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: RE: Running Speed Work

Today I got my proof that it is possible to get faster without doing any speedwork.

I started from zero running after an injury on Jan 1st this year, started with 6miles per week and gradually build my distance to finish a HIM on August 9th this year (highest running weeks were 25miles).

I have not done any speedwork at all this year and all my training runs were rather on the slower side, focused more on distance than speed.

Today I decided to try and see if I actually have some speed in me at all and race a 10K and although I thought it was impossible I was able to break 1 hour for the 10K which has been a goal of mine for 7 years now. I also got a PB by 2 minutes.

I was also very close of beating my stand-alone Half-Marathon time during the HIM (was only off by 2 minutes).

So for me it was true, you will get faster by running more without speed work.

Another thing that helps with speed is loosing weight. The more you loose, the faster you get

Edited by Joblin 2009-08-22 4:57 PM

2009-08-22 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2364255

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
The year I trained for my first IM (ie all base, endurance stuff - just longer and longer) was the year I PRd in a 5k too!
Base is king
Having said that to mix it up, you can safely do a few strides/ fartleks  by just picking up the pace a bit (not sprint) for 20-30 seconds/ to the next landmark with full recovery between. You don't have to, it's just something to keep you fresh mentally when you are starting to put some mileage in. 
2009-08-22 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2362762

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Just put in miles, there's no secret, run easy, put in lots of miles, maybe 1 or 2 tempo days, you will get faster.  Speedwork is for people who have plateaued after they've ran alot of miles. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Speed Work Rss Feed  

of 2