BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-12-15 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2556063

User image

Toronto
Subject: RE: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED)
Ok forgive me but I am lost. I can't seem to figure out how to add everyone to my BT friend list. Can you send me the link to do so please?

If I am allowed, I would like some direction on starting a training plan. I run 2 or 3 times a week but have been doing so outside since it's been mild. Now it's cold and I have to hit the treadmill (yuck) I have a trainer for my mountain bike and do a slow 30 minute ride maybe 2 times a week. I am not keen on the pool. I am a morning person and the pool opens at 6:30am which is too late. My gym opens at 5am but they don't have a pool. I am hoping to maybe do a duathlon in the summer and maybe a try a tri as well.

2009-12-15 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
this is the link from my blog to add friends http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/profile/controlpanel.a... I will try to post everyone's links into this blog as well. Instructions are as follows: in the bottom left of your training blog you should have a friends box. In the right coroner of that box is a + sign. If you click on that + sign it should take you directly to the friends section. From there click on the "..." box and input each person's user name and it will search for them and you can add them one at a time (a pain I know). From there at the bottom of the screen click the update friends. When you go back to your blog you should have everyone in your friends section. To view other people's training logs, just click on their link from the friends section of your blog. I hope that helps and makes sense.
2009-12-15 11:23 AM

User image

Toronto
That totally helps, thanks Molly! Any thoughts on the training programs?
2009-12-15 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I am still having a difficult time buying things I need for training. Everything seems so expensive. Anyone have good places to go online to find good deals? I am in desperate need of running pants of some sort but $50 seems like a lot of money to spend. Or will I have to suck it up?
2009-12-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2560209

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington

It is an expensive sport isn’t it? I’m not sure about where to find good deals on running clothes, you can always check reioutlet.com and backcountryoutlet.com (these tend to be my go-to sites for gear).  For cycling, I have built up my collection of stuff through realcyclist.com, bonktown.com (that is a great one deal at a time website), rei and by watching for sales at local stores. Sadly, right now is the most popular time to buy cold weather things, so finding deals is always tough. 

When it comes to exercising in cold weather, I swear by my underamour cold gear tights.  I’m self-concious about running in tights, so I usually throw shorts or lightweight pants over the top of them.

Oh and I usually check everything through Nextag.com to make sure it’s not being sold somewhere else online for less!

2009-12-15 1:34 PM

User image

Toronto
This may sound corny but Walmart is a great place for workout gear. Not high tech but I have found some nice stuff, at least on the woman's side, not sure about men's but it's worth looking into! Good luck!

2009-12-15 1:45 PM

User image

Regular

Target is my #1 stop for workout gear. bonktown.com is a good place to checkout daily for deals. Also checkout the clearance area at brand name websites for wetsuits, bikes, etc. I got my xterra wetsuit halfprice last winter. of course its still hanging up unused, but I got a great deal

Edited by blockertri 2009-12-15 1:48 PM
2009-12-15 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Utah
I second most of the suggestions above. I also use sierratradingpost.com  I have found some great deals there, and you can get some good coupon codes as well. Also, check target if there's one near you, or use their online shopping. They carry a line of champion "C9" products that are decent and not as expensive. My favorite running capris are from there. 
Since you're just building your collection, try to buy things that can do double duty--like running tights that you can also layer with bike shorts for colder weather bike rides in the spring and fall (i.e. no flare legs on your pants on the bike. I made that mistake once, LOL....). I also have a lightweight cycling jacket that I bought on clearance last winter that I also wear when I run in that in-between cold and warm weather. 

Oh, and don't skimp on the shoes. Seriously. Get fit at a local running store if at all possible. They will watch your run, and can reccomend the right shoe for you. Then you can buy subsequent pairs of shoes online or at other stores. 
2009-12-15 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2560415

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

givemashot - 2009-12-15 1:55 PM .....
Oh, and don't skimp on the shoes. Seriously. Get fit at a local running store if at all possible. They will watch your run, and can reccomend the right shoe for you. Then you can buy subsequent pairs of shoes online or at other stores....... 

x2!!!  Priority #1 in my book.  If there are no quality running shoe stores in your area, you can look at some of the online stores.  http://www.runningwarehouse.com/  and  http://www.roadrunnersports.com/ are both great online stores.

---

Wes

2009-12-15 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto
Although it's true that gear is stupid expensive sometimes, the pieces that I've worn for years and still wear are pieces that I invested a bit of money in. I have these Sugoi winter running tights and hooded winter top (with built in hand covers) that I bought about seven years ago. I run in them, then use them on my bike for my commute with a pair of bike shorts either under or over them. They wash great and are still my favourite things ever...but they were kind of pricey. However, if you amortize the cost over seven years - they weren't, really...I'm sure they still have years of wear left in them, too, since they show no sign of breaking down.

http://www.sugoi.com/can/eng/

I also have one really good pair of tri shorts - again Sugoi - that I also spent some money on, but they're perfect for races and for brick workouts.

Stuff that I've bought on discount sites, or bought because it was cheap tends to sit in the back of my drawer. You don't really need a lot of stuff - just good stuff that can take lots of washing. That's just my two cents.
2009-12-15 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
I echo everyone's comments about gear and the cost. A couple of suggestions here, and I promise I will spend some time on gear and stuff this week since it seems the discussion is going this way. (Also, next week I will work on training programs.)

To give a few suggestions, right now is the perfect time to buy and also the perfect time to make your Christmas wish lists. It is the end of the season and almost every tri-specific website is having a sale on 2009 gear. A couple of tri sites are nytro.com, trisports.com and all3sports.com. They have some pretty good deals at this time of year and usually after Christmas they tend to have end of year blow outs. Also, check out the classifieds section of BT. Sometimes you can find some pretty good gear at the end of the season and even though it is used or gently worn, it's usually lots cheaper than buying new. Also, for those of you just entering the world of triathlon sometimes it is better to get something that has been used 1-2 times than to pay tons of money for new gear only to find out after a few uses that it doesn't fit or doesn't work for you.

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2009-12-15 4:09 PM

2009-12-15 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
On the gear topic, can everyone list what type of bike they are riding? Road vs. Tri and make and model...Mine is a trek madone (I do not have a tribike, but plan to get one shortly after the new year.)
2009-12-15 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
I agree with the Christmas list!  I asked for a bike trainer for Christmas (so I hope I get it!).  I also asked for tri shorts and a few other things I've needed.  I've ordered some things from Sierra Trading post, and have been happy with the quality of them.  The tights I have are from either Lands End or LL Bean, so not tri specific, but they were a good price on the overstocks/clearance section.   I run mostly on a treadmill, so I wear regular running/workout shorts all year around. 

Since I'm so new at this tri thing, I'm still riding my mountain bike (I wanted to make sure I liked it first before I put too much $$$ into upgrades, and now I'm hooked ).  It's a Trek Mountain Sport 800 that I put road tires on before my tri in the summer.   I'm hoping to upgrade to a road bike in the spring, and will probably look at buying a used one.  I'm trying to do this on a fairly tight budget, but want to get a decent ride.

Edited by jenmel 2009-12-15 5:03 PM
2009-12-15 5:43 PM

User image

Toronto
Molly, I saw your post regarding bikes. I have an old mountain bike, tarantula. I am currently on the hunt for a road bike, not a tri bike. Also, can anyone offer some guidance on a starting training plan? Finally, is there a way to subscribe to just our post?

Edited by striving 2009-12-15 5:44 PM
2009-12-15 6:07 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Gotta love Target for the casual running gear.  I bought some decent running tops to workout in the gym and it didn't cost a lot.  I think I'm going to treat myself to a tri suit after Christmas.  I definetely will use the online stores such as TriSports.com which has some good clearance items.  I'm hoping to upgrade my bike this summer.  I have a Specialized Sirrus road bike that has treated me well over the years.  I'm considering having aero bars placed on my bike, but still not sure.  Also clips vs. clipless.  I've tried both and currently my bike has clipless pedals.  What are your thoughts on clips vs clipless?   
2009-12-15 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Some thoughts on clips v. clipless - personally, I have the clipless pedals and LOVE them. They are the speedplay mid-level pedals. I had clip pedals before and after 100 miles in them, they really bothered my feet. I also had a pretty bad ankle sprain last year and found that the "float" offered by the clipless pedals really helped my ankle from becoming too stiff after super long rides. On the downside, they can be expensive - I think mine were $250. Also, if you are heavier (like my husband) the speedplays will not work. He has the Look pedals which he really likes.

2009-12-15 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Ok - 2 questions on starting a training plan, so I will include this topic this week and probably next week for discussion as well. I will post some links and research and articles throughout the week. However, my initial recommendations are as follows:

Remember that most on-line training programs are designed for the masses and are not individually tailored to your needs. Consider your fitness level, time commitment and goals when picking a plan. For example, if you have never run before and your goal is to finish a marathon (not win, just finish), picking the advanced marathon training program is probably not a good idea for your first training plan and picking something advanced for a beginner will likely end in injury or not reaching your goals. Consider how much time you have to commit to a plan and be realistic. If you pick the 20 hour a week plan and you, like the rest of us, are busy with work, family and life in general, 20 hours is probably unrealistic and not going to get you to your goals. Consider your goals - if you are training for a sprint triathlon then picking the IM training program is way over doing it and again likely to lead to burn out and injury.

My recommendation is to pick an event that is anywhere from 12-20 weeks away and then pick a plan that will help you accomplish your goal for that event. Start by looking at the plans on beginner triathlete as there are tons of plans that work with all fitness levels. If those plans don't work for you, trinewbies.com has free plans and any google search can probably find a plan to meet your needs. But remember, most on-line plans are for the masses and are not tailored to your specific needs and goals.

RPE v. HRM plans - I will discuss more on this later, but my initial recommendation is that most beginners should go with the rate of perceived exertion(RPE) plans rather than a heart rate monitored (HRM) plan unless you are used to using an HRM when you workout. Simply, HRM training, and particularly in the BT plans, can be somewhat advanced. Using your RPE can get you to your goals just as easily and you won't have to purchase all of that expensive equipment.

My last thoughts on plans for today are remember that a plan is nothing more than a guideline for what you should be doing. In my experience, most of the plans on BT are "overplanned." I find that if I hit 90% of the planned workouts, it's a good day. Also, once you pick a plan remember to "trust the plan." Even the most experienced athletes will get nervous before a race and question their training and whether they can really do it. Trust your plan! Finally, remember this is FUN and a hobby. Picking a plan and sticking to it, or about 90% of it, will most likely get you across the finish line in decent time.

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2009-12-15 6:58 PM
2009-12-15 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2560781

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

molly@rosenblumlawlv - 2009-12-15 4:10 PM On the gear topic, can everyone list what type of bike they are riding? Road vs. Tri and make and model...Mine is a trek madone (I do not have a tribike, but plan to get one shortly after the new year.)

I upgraded from a hybrid bike last February to a road bike -- Gary Fisher AR Super.   No plans on getting a tri specific bike.  I also have a mountain bike and use SPD clipless pedals on both.

Edited by wkirbytri 2009-12-15 7:59 PM
2009-12-15 8:10 PM

User image

Toronto
Another question about the training plans on the site. What does is mean when a plan is run focused? Is it for those that need to focus on the running or for those that are better at running?

Any idea on how to subscribe to just our group posts?
2009-12-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2560781

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
molly@rosenblumlawlv - 2009-12-15 3:10 PMOn the gear topic, can everyone list what type of bike they are riding? Road vs. Tri and make and model...Mine is a trek madone (I do not have a tribike, but plan to get one shortly after the new year.)
I got a road bike this past fall, it's a Bianchi Via Nirone 7. I have clipless pedals as well, not really sure what they are, I think they are Look knock-offs... whatever they are, I like them. I have no plans to get a Tri bike, but recently put aerobars on my road bike.
2009-12-15 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2560683

User image

Master
Utah
ptri - 2009-12-15 2:35 PMAlthough it's true that gear is stupid expensive sometimes, the pieces that I've worn for years and still wear are pieces that I invested a bit of money in. I have these Sugoi winter running tights and hooded winter top (with built in hand covers) that I bought about seven years ago. I run in them, then use them on my bike for my commute with a pair of bike shorts either under or over them. They wash great and are still my favourite things ever...but they were kind of pricey. However, if you amortize the cost over seven years - they weren't, really...I'm sure they still have years of wear left in them, too, since they show no sign of breaking down.

http://www.sugoi.com/can/eng/

I also have one really good pair of tri shorts - again Sugoi - that I also spent some money on, but they're perfect for races and for brick workouts.

Stuff that I've bought on discount sites, or bought because it was cheap tends to sit in the back of my drawer. You don't really need a lot of stuff - just good stuff that can take lots of washing. That's just my two cents.
Ooh! I just ordered a pair of sugoi winter running tights on rei.com! They should be here in another day or two.

2009-12-15 9:04 PM
in reply to: #2561111

User image

Master
Utah
striving - 2009-12-15 7:10 PMAnother question about the training plans on the site. What does is mean when a planĀ is run focused? Is it for those that need to focus on the running or for those that are better at running?

Any idea on how to subscribe to just our group posts?
No clue. Sorry. But I know there is a way to subscribe to one thread... I've just gotten by on no thread suscriptions, and I check in on the thread regularly.
2009-12-15 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Utah
I got super lucky (or crazy, depending on who you talk to), and got straight into a tri bike when I started tri'ing last year. I ride a javelin varese with campagnolo components (fancy schmancy sounding european made brand, LOL), and speedplay light action pedals. I love the clipless pedals, I really do. They took some getting used to, but now I can't imagine riding without them. I got a great deal directly from the manufacturer through a fellow BT'er who posted a link here on BT. Actually they have a few specials now, too (because I'm an enabler like that, LOL)http://www.javbike.com/Specials.html
2009-12-15 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
the plans that are focused on a specific sport, ie run focus, will have more run workouts than a balanced plan. the idea is to get you running more and/or faster. my recommendation if you are picking a plan that is a focused plan as opposed to a balanced plan is to pick a plan that focuses on your weakness as opposed to your strength. you will still get in plenty of time on the other two events but a focused plan will help you become stronger in your weaker area and will somewhat "force" you to spend time in that area because that is the focus of the plan. Andy Potts wrote a really good article about training towards your weaknesses in Triathlete Magazine. I will see if I can find it and post the link in this thread. 
2009-12-15 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2561204

User image

Regular

...Any idea on how to subscribe to just our group posts?

at the bottom of this page you should be able to hit the "toggle email notification" and it will send you an email when somebody adds a post to our group. Not sure if that is what your were looking for.

Trek Equinox 7 speed play clips. LOVE this bike! her name is Iggy

Question...

How do you post pics on this thing? I have done it before, but  i don't remember how i did it.

Edited by blockertri 2009-12-15 10:01 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 13