BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-22 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2572474

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
sesh - 2009-12-22 4:26 AM

And for my first question:

I do most of my riding on the trainer.  I just don't have enough sunlight in the winter months, and general life stuff even forces me inside in the wee hours on the weekends sometimes.  I'll be cranking up the tri training in January, and a lot of days I'll be doing about an hour ride followed by a three mile run.  I'd like to do more than just spin away with the Netflix cranked up during those rides.  You got any drills, intervals, etc. that you do on the trainer?

All the tris I'll be doing have rollers.  And by rollers I mean what anyone outside of Mississippi would call flats.  There won't be a lot of climbing, in fact, there probably won't be any climbing.  Just 18-24.5 miles of holding a gear and ignoring the pain.  Don't know if that info makes a difference.

Sesh,
When doing trainer workouts, remember that you don't have any coasting time, because of this my husband feels trainer hours are worth more time than road hours.

Here are some great work outs to do on trainers:  On all of these be sure to warm up & cool down  for 10 to 15 minutes.  So you are looking at only 30-40minutes of structured work outs for  a one hour work out.

Pyramids:
Start at an effort level that is equal to just above your warm up effort.  Every 3-5minutes increase your effort by one gear on resistance level for about 20  minutes and then go back down in gears or resistance.   Keep your cadence  at a normal level when doing this.  The effort level on this is easily adjusted by how hard you start

5 by 5's
T
his one is good for threshold training.  Push for 5 minutes just over your comfort zone, then spin for 5 minutes for recovery.   If you use a heart rate monitor, do the efforts in high zone 3 or low zone 4.

Power ups
Staying seated, do 6 minutes as 15 sec all out, 15 sec recovery.  I do 3 of these with 4 minutes between each set.  
Or you can do only 1 or 2 and then after your 4 minute recovery do 10 seconds all out- out of the saddle is okay, with a two minute recovery.  Do this 10 times.  Recovery 4 minutes and do another 10. 

The Wally Work Out.-  This is a fatigue to failure work out. 
- no one really does this work out for very long, and you should not do this work out if you do not have a good base. 
Start from a 15 minute warm up. Increase 1 gear every two minutes for 8 minutes ( 4 increases) , then increase one gear every minute until you can not keep a 60 cadence.  Spin for a warm down, get off your trainer and throw up.    If you actually make it more than 12 minutes....you should do it again but this time with harder gears or consider trying out for the national team.

Trainer drills.  you can do these on a trainer, roller or on the road.
One leg drills.  15 seconds each leg.  Think round circles, try to feel resistance all the way around the crank. 
High cadence: 1 minute at a time.  low resistance really fast cadence. 
Efficiency.  - this isn't a drill but it is easier to notice where you waste energy on a trainer.  So if you have a mirror or big window where you can see your reflection or even if you can watch your shadow.  Watch your upper body and try to keep it still.  When you are peddling all of the movement should be from your hips down.  Any movement up and down or side to side in your shoulders or head is wasted energy. Watch your reflection and shadow and see if you can keep your reflection really still. It is actually very similar to swimming all of those extra motions are wasted energy.

I hope that helps or gives you something to work with. 

2009-12-22 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
My first goal for 2010 -

I want to lose the extra pounds I have put on since doing a HIM in late September.  My motivation is I feel much better training and racing not having to carry around this extra weight, and I also want to look good for the race photos from my first race scheduled in early February.
2009-12-22 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2574338

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Karen 26.2,
Great suggestions Karen, I have heard great things about those videos.  Also, if you have a gym membership, spin classes are a great alternative too.  The social aspect along with a scheduled time to be there can help get you out the door if you are needing a little more motivation.

Rochelle
2009-12-22 9:16 PM

User image

Regular

NAME:
YouYou, being from Munich, Germany and living now in Montreal, Canada.
English is not my mother language, so excuse me, please, if my mails are difficult to read!!!

STORY:
I have always done sports, but I was never really good at it :-)  Guess, I am not really athletic. At school we had a 1k test. I arrived more dead than alive after 4:30 minutes!

Nevertheless kept on Running, playing Basketball, started Mountain biking, Weight Training etc. But I was never competitive or joined a club. Sport was really a pastime for me, a hobby to relax and stay fit – put not in a performance kind of way.

In 2006 I moved to Montreal, and lived what a lot of people, changing a continent, are living. You loose your job, your friends, your home, etc. Not what I would call an easy time. Rather a nightmare.

To give my life a bit more structure I started to train in a more structured way. Did my first Sprint Triathlon in 2007 and finished with the goal to improve my swimming over the winter.

Well, I think I was not too successful and disciplined to go to the pool, so I just did 2 Half Marathons and a 10k in 2008.

And finally I started working on my swimming, too. This came pretty handy, as I won a slot for the “Escape of Alcatraz” triathlon. Joined a Master Club, but saw pretty fast, that this is not my cup of tea. Fortunately I found a great, great swim coach and took some lessons with him.

Beginning of 2008 I had problems swimming 50 meters and after the winter swim training I successfully finished the scary swim from Alcatraz. That was most definitely one of the best experiences. The race is just beautiful.

Ended the season with my first Half-Ironman. The last 10k of the run were rather ugly but I made it in one piece :-)

FAMILY STATUS:
Girlfriend with our first child on its way.

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I am pretty much in an off-season mood. I.e. I am trying to do a bit of running, cycling and weights – but with no real structured plan.

I definitely need to go to the pool more often – at least once a week. Problem is the overhead time.

In January I will start with my half-marathon training. Instead of doing a classic 12 weeks plan, I am will take 16 weeks.

On top of that, I want to improve my cycling. By now, I have the endurance to bike 110k on a hilly course, and now I want to improve my muscular endurance to be able to push a bigger gear.

2009 RACES:

• Escape of Alcatraz, San Francisco (more or less an Olympic distance triathlon)
  • St.-Agathe Triathlon, QC (more or less an Olympic distance triathlon)
  • Esprit Half-Ironman, Montreal

2010 RACES: tentative schedule 

• Banque Scotia Half Marathon Montreal
  • Timberman 70.3

Given my “Family status”, I don’t want to commit to more races. But I will try to do a few 5k and 10k runs to work and my speed, and as well a some Sprint and Olympic Triathlons in the Montreal area.

WEIGHTLOSS:
I have always been on the thinner side of life. Currently I am weighing in at 163 pounds. I would not mind gaining a few pounds – if they were muscle mass :-)))

I will check the log feature and make all the necessary settings tomorrow!

Take care and sleep well

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2009-12-22 10:23 PM
2009-12-22 11:18 PM

NAME:
sjf21/Scott Freed

STORY:
Growing up, I primarily played team sports. I played a lot of football, baseball and basketball in high school and intramurals in college.

I have never been much of a runner and never planned to do any distance running. A friend talked me into doing my first sprint tri about four years ago. It was mass start in Hilton Head and I had no idea what to expect. It thought I was going to die during the swim. Once it was over, however, I couldn't wait to sign up for the next one!

Since then, I have done several sprint tri's each year and did my first Olympic in May. I also ran my first marathon (Marine Corps) in 2008 and just finished the Tucson Marathon last weekend. I set PR's in the 10k and half marathon this year. However, I get much slower when training for a marathon. I tend to do all of my runs at the same (slow) pace. I need help with speed workouts, hill repeats, etc. in order to get faster.

My goal for 2010 is to get back into tri's more consistently. I would love to do an Ironman in November (Beach to Battleship) but don't know if I have the ability or time. At the very least, I am hoping to do a couple of halfs this year. I have been concentrating on running so I have not been in the pool or on the bike for months.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married with two kids (Troy - 12 and Erica - 8)

CURRENT TRAINING:
Currently recovering from the marathon. Doing some short runs and spin classes and will be back in the pool this week. I just got a trainer so I will start on it soon. Going to start weights and core work as well.

2009 RACES:

Chattahoochee Road Runner 10k
ING Half Marathon
John Tanner Sprint Tri
Turtle Crawl Oly Tri
My Next Sprint Tri
Suwanee 5k and 12k
Peachtree Road Race 10k
Labor Day 10k
Suwanee Day 10k
13.1 Atlanta Half Marathon
Atlanta Thanksgiving Half Marathon
Tucson Marathon

2010 Races

Still unsure but considering the following:

Mardi Gras half marathon
ING half marathon
3 Sprint Tri's
1 - 2 Olympic Tri's
2 Half Ironman
Beach to Battleship Ironman (?????)

WEIGHTLOSS:
I am 6'5" and about 200 lbs. I could stand to lose some weight around the middle. My diet is horrible and I could probably solve a lot of issues with a change in eating habits.

I am very much looking forward to being part of the group!

Edited by sjf21 2009-12-22 11:20 PM
2009-12-23 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Scott - you must live in the Atlanta area.  Your 2009 race schedule looks very familiar...

I know a couple of people that did Beach to Battleship and said it was a great race.  Are you doing Augusta 70.3 in 2010?  I did it in 2009, it was a nice course.  Fast swim, great bike, and everyone but me liked the run course.  I never like any double loops though, so consider it a good run course.

2009-12-23 7:39 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Thanks, Rochelle.  Those sound like some good workouts for the trainer.  Although, despite having already read them, I conveniently pretended I hadn't seen them before this morning's trainer ride  I'll do the ride till I puke workout sometime to make up for it.

2009-12-23 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2573360

User image

Regular

wyldhair - 2009-12-22 12:53 PM
I will be going through each of your posts in the next few days, I have questions and comments for all of you.  But in the meantime, I have goal setting exercise I want you to think about.  A goal actually has many parts and we often don't take the time to set them much less realize what makes up the our own goals.  The who, what, and whys of our own wants.    

Take a few minutes to think about what you want to achieve in the next few months,  when you are going to do it, and most importantly the reason you are doing it.  I want everyone to post back to me at least one goal statement with these 3 things in the goal.  Here is one of mine:

I am going to get a 30 minute swim split at California 70.3 so that I can place in the top 5.

Achieving top 5 and swimming a 30min swim split are both goals of mine but they have a hierarchy.  I only want to swim a 30 minute split because of my true reason...get top 5. This exercise is going to help you decide what is the motivating factor..

To make it easier for you I suggest that you start with " I want to... because....", the time frame usually will naturally insert itself.

Again, I want at least one from everyone, but feel free to state more if you want.

My first goal is to run a sub 1:50 Half Marathon in April. Reason: because I want to be faster than in 2007.

It is a bit like when the famous climber George Mallory was asked why he wants to climb the Mt. Everest, he said: "Because it is there". I just wanna be faster :-)

Looking at my run splits, I am convinced that the goal is achievable but I still have to work for it.

The second goal is to finish Timberman in a manner that I can say after the race: it was a good race of mine. I don't know the course, so predicting a finish time or even splits is not really possible, but I definitly want to swim sub 40 minutes.

When I did my fist Hlaf-Ironman last year, the last 10k of the run were pretty bad. I would like to avoid this. Timberman should be hard, I have no problem if it hurts, but it should not be "preety bad".

Take care

YouYou

2009-12-23 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
wyldhair - 2009-12-22 11:53 AM Wow, I've been reading though everyone's posts this morning and realize that this is going to be a lot of fun for me.  I see a lot of great stories and fun personalities signed up yesterday.  I am honored that you want to do this with me. 

I will be going through each of your posts in the next few days, I have questions and comments for all of you.  But in the meantime, I have goal setting exercise I want you to think about.  A goal actually has many parts and we often don't take the time to set them much less realize what makes up the our own goals.  The who, what, and whys of our own wants.    

Take a few minutes to think about what you want to achieve in the next few months,  when you are going to do it, and most importantly the reason you are doing it.  I want everyone to post back to me at least one goal statement with these 3 things in the goal.  Here is one of mine:

I am going to get a 30 minute swim split at California 70.3 so that I can place in the top 5.

Achieving top 5 and swimming a 30min swim split are both goals of mine but they have a hierarchy.  I only want to swim a 30 minute split because of my true reason...get top 5. This exercise is going to help you decide what is the motivating factor..

To make it easier for you I suggest that you start with " I want to... because....", the time frame usually will naturally insert itself.

Again, I want at least one from everyone, but feel free to state more if you want.

This is something I need help with.  I have no idea what to expect, therefore any goal that I list would be like saying I want to get to the ocean while standing in the middle of the desert with a blindfold on and plugs in my ears. 

I’m familiar with a bike and I swam a good bit in High School (not competitive – I was a life guard).  I’m faster than most beginners and probably in better shape than most, but I’m still a rookie and self-admittedly clueless about training.  My Half- Marathon time is 1:30 and my full is 3:30.  I want to be faster.  Faster than what …. I don’t know.  I do know that I don’t want to “just finish”  Anything I do, I want to be competitive.  Not saying I want to place, but be competitive.  Suggestions?

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2009-12-23 12:30 PM
2009-12-23 1:52 PM

New user

Houston
My #1 goal for for the next 5 months is to get to 220 pounds by my next anniversary.  My wife and I both have decided to get healthy and to turn our lives around for our kids and for ourselves.  I've lost ~90 pounds so far and my wife has lost 60.  I'm currently at 278 so I have 58 more to lose by May.

Exercise (mainly running) has played an important role in my weightloss success.  I want to keep that going with a new challenge.  I want to complete my first Olympic Triathlon in April of next year because they say I shouldn't be able to do that at my weight.  I really enjoy doing challenging things and it motivates me in my eating and my weightloss.
2009-12-23 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I guess my goal is wide-ranging.
First of all I'd like to lose at least 20 pounds, I was originally at 245, then down to 210 now back up to 220.  I would like to be under 200.  That goal was missed in 2009.

Second,  I am a bad runner and biker, but I am horrendous swimmer.  I am signing up for lessons in March (the January ones are nixed because of my wife's commitments).  I feel that if I can conquer that then I will have a little more confidence.

Third, I am competitive and I would like my times to show that.  I want to be able to know what I am capable of doing and then do a little more.

2009-12-23 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2574765

Karen,

Yes, I live in Suwanee. I have been here for about 12 years. Are there any local races that you have done and would recommend? I am always looking for something new.

I am definitely considering the Augusta 70.3. I heard great things about the swim and I am always up for a race with an easy swim!
2009-12-24 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2576319

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sjf21 - 2009-12-23 11:03 PM Karen, Yes, I live in Suwanee. I have been here for about 12 years. Are there any local races that you have done and would recommend? I am always looking for something new. I am definitely considering the Augusta 70.3. I heard great things about the swim and I am always up for a race with an easy swim!

I'm just down the road from you then.  Looking at your 2009 races, we've crossed paths many times.  I also did John Tanner Sprint, Peachtree RR, 13.1 Atlanta & Thanksgiving Half, and will be doing ING Half in March.

I highly recommend Chattanooga Olympic, I've done it the last two years and it's a lot of fun.  The swim is FAST, bike is challenging (I love hills though), and the run is an out and back flat along the river.  Great crowd support too.

Other than that Westpoint Olympic, & Peachtree Int'l were both good.  Check out Georgia Multisports site, they have several races and always do a great job with organization.

Augusta 70.3 is a must if you want something close by, semi inexpensive, and a fast swim.  I'm thinking of White Lake Half this year since I want to do a HIM early in the year.
2009-12-26 10:27 PM

User image

New user
I hope everyone had a great holiday. I am back from the in-laws and am looking forward to digging into my training. As for goals- I have always been a huge fan of having them so I had taken some time a few weeks ago to establish them. I have Daily goals, a 90 day goal, a one year goal and an ulitmate goal down on paper. So when asked to state a goal I will just share what I already have down.

Daily Goals-
I will eat 5 balanced "clean" meals a day because this will properly fuel my training.
I will stay within my limits for refined sugars and saturated fats because this will improve my body composition.
I will get up early enough to get my training in before work so I don't miss time with my family in the evening.

90 day goal-
I will fit comfortably into a size 32' waist and comfortably swim 1/3 of a mile because this will help my confidence level going into my first race of the season.

1 year goal-
I will reach 16% body fat and complete and Olympic Distance Triathlon because this will keep me on track to reach my ultimate goal.

Ultimate goal-
I will weight between 200 and 210 lbs at 12% body fat and complete and Iron man Triathlon because I can.

That's my goals as of now. But if I want to stick to my daily goal of getting up to train I need to go to bed.

Night all!
2009-12-27 1:06 PM

User image

New user
Afternoon all,

Well the holiday is done and I was so excited about getting focused on training. Then I wake up this morning for work with a nasty cough. About half way through my day the cough upgraded to achyness and a fever. JOY. Well I'll stay on track nutritionally but I don't see any running or swimming in the gameplan today. If anyone needs me I will be laying on the couch groaning like a baby.

2009-12-27 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hey SpyGuy - hope you feel better soon and get resume training.I like your goals you posted. Daily, short term, long term, I need to do that. I really like the daily goals. I have several goals in my head, I need to put them in writing and read them everyday.I'm going to borrow the getting up early to train so it does not cut into family time. I typically do my workouts early in the morning, but some times I get lazy and sleep in. I won't be able to do that this next year with all the hours of training I see in my near future.I'm also adding getting to bed earlier, not sure what my definition of earlier will be, but right now it's usually 11 before I get to bed and that makes getting up between 4:30 and 5 very difficult. Will post back goal when I decide on what's doable.

2009-12-27 7:17 PM

User image

Regular

Hi all,

Merry belated X-Mas!!! Hope you enjoyed the time!

From what I understood it is nowadays not politically correct to wish "Merry X-Mas". I am supposed to say "Have a nice Holiday Season" - but I just keep the old European tradition living :-))))

A few general questions and comments:

1) I have created a Word document with all the profiles, which you posted so far. If someone is interested to have it, just send me a personal mail via BT, and I will send you the document!!!

2) I have not found the settings for my training log, where I can allow particular people to see my log. Is there really a setting like that?

The only thing I have found is the option between "private" and "public".

3) If you reply to a post, it would be great if you could use the "Quote" button. It makes following sub-threads within our group thread much easier.

Take care

YouYou

2009-12-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2575448

User image

Regular

GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-23 1:29 PM
wyldhair - 2009-12-22 11:53 AM
But in the meantime, I have goal setting exercise I want you to think about.  A goal actually has many parts and we often don't take the time to set them much less realize what makes up the our own goals.  The who, what, and whys of our own wants.    

Take a few minutes to think about what you want to achieve in the next few months,  when you are going to do it, and most importantly the reason you are doing it.  I want everyone to post back to me at least one goal statement with these 3 things in the goal. 

This is something I need help with.  I have no idea what to expect, therefore any goal that I list would be like saying I want to get to the ocean while standing in the middle of the desert with a blindfold on and plugs in my ears. 

I’m familiar with a bike and I swam a good bit in High School (not competitive – I was a life guard).  I’m faster than most beginners and probably in better shape than most, but I’m still a rookie and self-admittedly clueless about training.  My Half- Marathon time is 1:30 and my full is 3:30.  I want to be faster.  Faster than what …. I don’t know.  I do know that I don’t want to “just finish”  Anything I do, I want to be competitive.  Not saying I want to place, but be competitive.  Suggestions?

Hello Dustin,

1:30 for a half; you are most definitly in much better shape than most!

Joe Friel talks a lot about setting goals in his book "The Triathlete Training Bible".

His priciples for setting goals are:

1) Your goal must be measurable

2) Your goal must be under your control (e.g. saying "I want to win my age group", seems like a good goal, but what do you do if a bunch of genetic freaks à la Chrissie Wellington are turning up?)

3) Your goal must stretch you (but don't confuse goals with dreams - If I said " I would like to run a half in 1:30", this would rather be a dream than a goal)

4) Your goal must be stated in the positive.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Take care

YouYou

2009-12-27 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2579329

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
YouYou - 2009-12-27 8:17 PM

2) I have not found the settings for my training log, where I can allow particular people to see my log. Is there really a setting like that.

I think you have it set right, I can see your logs so it must not be set as private. 
2009-12-27 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2573925

User image

Mammoth Lakes
sesh - 2009-12-22 1:13 PM

My #1 goal as it relates to racing in 2010:

I want to set a 10k PR on the run at the Heatwave Classic Tri on June 5th because I'm ready to stop using the run as an excuse.

Bill,  Great goal,  what is your current PR?   Good luck at your MS Blues Half Marathon.  When is it?and how do you feel you will do?

I really like the short triathlons too.  It is really fun to go out for a fast race.  I like to do several short races in the spring and fall  to get what I call my "race lust" going.  It fires me up to do sprints and oly's.  Let us know when you know what local races you will do.

Since you have been a moderator before, I would love any and all recommendations you can give to me!

2009-12-27 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2574350

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Karen, you are a great poster and have a nice profile set up.  I recommend that everyone visit your training log page and check out how you set up you comments section and check out your logs.  I can tell you are a very organized and motivated person.  I think we may have a lot more in common than just our past stories.

I am reallying interested in your injury. Your training log comments said it was a irritation on the sit bones and your bio said it was a hamstring tendonitis that happened near the end of your HIM training...so its been hurting since September?   Can you tell me when and how it hurts?  sharp pain, radiating pain, inflammation, only when you bike?   What is the physical therapy the doctor is having you do and is it working?  I need more information to insure it is what I think it is but from what you have said, I think your saddle is the wrong size.  either to wide or to skinny...or you are not fitted on the bike correctly and it is putting your sit bones on the saddle incorrectly.   If your Dr. hasn't already prescribed a professional bike fit for you, you should ask him for one.  Almost all insurance plans will cover this if it is prescribed by a doctor.  If you have never had one before, you should request it anyways.  A great bike fit can significantly improve your power output, comfort and reduce injury.    i was just thinking that you also do a lot of trainer workouts to?  Your trainer saddle could also be a culprite.

For your goals.  I highly suggest that you make your goals much more specific.   Put an actual number to it and make it agressive.  It is okay to not make your goals because they are to high, but if they are not high enough that you have to work for it, then you won't feel you need to make an effort.  You also mentioned improving your bike and your run.  How much would you like to improve them? Would you like for me to try to assess how to help you in doing this or are you mostly looking for moral support?

IMKY...I can see from your past experience you will not have any problems doing it, but I will wish you best of luck anyways.  You are also doing some races in February.  Do you have a training plan that you follow for all this? I do see that you use a HR Monitor.  Are you comfortable with HR training?  And do you feel you understand how to train with a HR Monitor?

As for the Power meter.  I have used the powertap and I am currently using the Polar Wind power meter.  I use a combination of heart rate and power in my training.  Have you already purchased a power meter? Or are you just considering it.

You seem to have your self put together pretty well but please let me know how I can be the most help to you!

2009-12-28 12:33 AM
in reply to: #2575312

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2009-12-23 9:24 AM

wyldhair - 2009-12-22 12:53 PM

My first goal is to run a sub 1:50 Half Marathon in April. Reason: because I want to be faster than in 2007.

It is a bit like when the famous climber George Mallory was asked why he wants to climb the Mt. Everest, he said: "Because it is there". I just wanna be faster :-)

Looking at my run splits, I am convinced that the goal is achievable but I still have to work for it.

The second goal is to finish Timberman in a manner that I can say after the race: it was a good race of mine. I don't know the course, so predicting a finish time or even splits is not really possible, but I definitly want to swim sub 40 minutes.

When I did my fist Hlaf-Ironman last year, the last 10k of the run were pretty bad. I would like to avoid this. Timberman should be hard, I have no problem if it hurts, but it should not be "preety bad".

Take care

YouYou

YouYou,
I'm happy to have you even if you have no hair....My husband is also in that club.  Bald is sexy. 

I see you don't need help in goal setting, I think you do that very well and understand the purpose behind it. I am restating your post here... I don't know if there is a way to quote two separate posts in one reply or not.  Someone please tell me if there is.

Joe Friel talks a lot about setting goals in his book "The Triathlete Training Bible".His principles for setting goals are:

1) Your goal must be measurable
2) Your goal must be under your control (e.g. saying "I want to win my age group", seems like a good goal, but what do you do if a bunch of genetic freaks à la Chrissie Wellington are turning up?)
3) Your goal must stretch you (but don't confuse goals with dreams - If I said " I would like to run a half in 1:30", this would rather be a dream than a goal)
4) Your goal must be stated in the positive.

I am happy to help you where I can in achieving your 1:50 goal.  You mentioned you haven't started a training plan this year.  Based on the information you have already given, I think you would benefit from a training plan that is based on Heart Rate training.  You fade at the end of the run in HIM. By doing more of your running in low heart rate (zone 1-2) you can become much faster at lower heart rates and you extend how long you can run above your threshold. this will make the end of your race much more comfortable and faster.  Also... muscular endurance on the bike is best achieved with long steady tempo segments (zone 3-4) in bigger gears. Do you train with a heart rate monitor? 

Finally a would like to recommend two websites to you may be helpful in setting your Timberman Goals as well as helping you planning training paces.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator    This may be helpful.  If you don't have a resent race result, go out to the track and run 1 mile as fast as you can. Fill in the results and hit calculate and it will give you the projected time that you should be able to run several distances in...also look at the tabs at the top of the calculated results and it will tell you about what training pace your different kinds of runs should be.  Play around with the calculator and get familiar with how fast you need to be able to run an all out mile in order to achieve your goals.

http://www.triathloncalculator.com/  I am always amazed at how accurate this calculator is.  You will need to do a couple of tests for this to work.
At the pool do a 400yd time trial. 
Do a 20minute bike time trial on a flat unaided course on a calm day.  You are looking for your average speed or your average power.
If you have a resent 5k race result you can use that for the run information, if you do not then you can use the 1 mile test and the runnersworld calculator to estimate the 5k result.
Enter the race distance information, the feet gain of the bike and if the run is flat or hilly.
Enter your projected weekly training volume. 
This calculator returns a  pretty accurate estimation of your race splits.  Even better it will give you estimates of what your training paces should be if you are not using a HR monitor.  I use this to help me set training volume goals.

For your training log..make sure you have the unchecked the training log is private box and add each persons user name as your friend in the tabs under Settings, Training Blog Customization, Friends.  That should give your friends access to your log. 

2009-12-28 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2579470

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

wyldhair - 2009-12-27 9:36 PM
sesh - 2009-12-22 1:13 PM

My #1 goal as it relates to racing in 2010:

I want to set a 10k PR on the run at the Heatwave Classic Tri on June 5th because I'm ready to stop using the run as an excuse.

Bill,  Great goal,  what is your current PR?   Good luck at your MS Blues Half Marathon.  When is it?and how do you feel you will do?

I really like the short triathlons too.  It is really fun to go out for a fast race.  I like to do several short races in the spring and fall  to get what I call my "race lust" going.  It fires me up to do sprints and oly's.  Let us know when you know what local races you will do.

Since you have been a moderator before, I would love any and all recommendations you can give to me!

I'll need to break 58:30 for a PR.  I love the short stuff for the intensity... and for the fact that most runs are 3-4 miles.  I can hold my own and hold off some people at that distance, but when I get up to the OLY, and even stand alone 10ks and Half Marys, I just hit the wall or something.  I've been running a good bit more toward the end of this year, and I have a lot more running than normal planned for 2010.  I'm planning on keeping my bike volume near what I did for my HIM training last winter as well. 

And now I'm off to find a good dentist.  I've got a tooth that I'm about 5 seconds from ripping out of my mouth.  I can handle a good amount of pain, but this is friggin ridiculous.  I had to down upwards of 20 Advil a day the last two days just to function. 

2009-12-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2579543

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
wyldhair - 2009-12-27 11:54 PMKaren, you are a great poster and have a nice profile set up.  I recommend that everyone visit your training log page and check out how you set up you comments section and check out your logs.  I can tell you are a very organized and motivated person.  I think we may have a lot more in common than just our past stories.

I am reallying interested in your injury. Your training log comments said it was a irritation on the sit bones and your bio said it was a hamstring tendonitis that happened near the end of your HIM training...so its been hurting since September?   Can you tell me when and how it hurts?  sharp pain, radiating pain, inflammation, only when you bike?   What is the physical therapy the doctor is having you do and is it working?  I need more information to insure it is what I think it is but from what you have said, I think your saddle is the wrong size.  either to wide or to skinny...or you are not fitted on the bike correctly and it is putting your sit bones on the saddle incorrectly.   If your Dr. hasn't already prescribed a professional bike fit for you, you should ask him for one.  Almost all insurance plans will cover this if it is prescribed by a doctor.  If you have never had one before, you should request it anyways.  A great bike fit can significantly improve your power output, comfort and reduce injury.    i was just thinking that you also do a lot of trainer workouts to?  Your trainer saddle could also be a culprite.

For your goals.  I highly suggest that you make your goals much more specific.   Put an actual number to it and make it agressive.  It is okay to not make your goals because they are to high, but if they are not high enough that you have to work for it, then you won't feel you need to make an effort.  You also mentioned improving your bike and your run.  How much would you like to improve them? Would you like for me to try to assess how to help you in doing this or are you mostly looking for moral support?

IMKY...I can see from your past experience you will not have any problems doing it, but I will wish you best of luck anyways.  You are also doing some races in February.  Do you have a training plan that you follow for all this? I do see that you use a HR Monitor.  Are you comfortable with HR training?  And do you feel you understand how to train with a HR Monitor?

As for the Power meter.  I have used the powertap and I am currently using the Polar Wind power meter.  I use a combination of heart rate and power in my training.  Have you already purchased a power meter? Or are you just considering it.

You seem to have your self put together pretty well but please let me know how I can be the most help to you!

This annoying injury is hard to describe.  Yes it has been bothering me since September.  It started on both sides, equally painful when I ran and sat for long periods of time (such as work or driving).  Biking it was fine, that was the only thing I could do with no pain.  Well swimming too.

Running the upper hamstrings felt very tight, and made lifting my legs difficult, especially on hills.  My pace slowed considerably.  Afterwards the pain was worse when sitting.  Biking was still ok for a while so I kept doing that.  I did some trainer rides, on my road bike with a completely different saddle, and yes that saddle made it worse so I stuck to riding my tri bike outside.

At some point the left side started to feel better on it's own, but the right side started radiating down the back of my leg about half way to my knee.  I went to the ortho doctor and he said he could feel tightness and said it was tendonitis.  To me it feels more like bruised bone or soft tissue damage, and extremely tight.

I did get a professional fit when I bought my tri bike last spring.  I tried a couple of seats before settling on the one I now use, and have had probably since April.  I like the seat a lot, so I hope it's not that.  I did a lot of riding leading up to the HIM, maybe it's just overuse injury??  I've been very happy with the fit and seat, and was fine all summer long doing rides that lasted several hours. I did a century mid summer just fine.  I did an unplanned 70+ mile ride before the HIM, now I'm thinking maybe that was too much.

Lately I have backed off on my running and the pain is better.  Spin class is ok for about an hour.  Those seats are very wide, and at some point during class that starts to bother just the right side, a throbbing type of pain.  Now I'd say the pain is throbbing right near the sit bone.  Sitting makes it worse.

My husband changed out the seat on my road bike to something more narrow and I'm planning on taking that out to see how it feels.

I need to give my goal(s) some more thought, and I agree be more specific.

I would like some input on how to get better biking and running.  Mostly biking, because I think I could be a really good biker if I trained better.  In the local races here my bike spit is usually the fastest in my age group, but as I did more races this year I noticed a lot of women zoom past me and they looked like they were hardly working.  There must be some training I can do to improve power in my legs.  Maybe my gearing needs changing??

I do not have a powermeter and know nothing about them.  I know they are expensive, not sure how expensive, but wonder if it would help me at all or if there's other training I can do improve and save the money.   Or different crank/cassette I can swap out.

Running - I'm just a slow runner.  Whenever I try to do intervals, hill repeats, or tempo runs to get faster, I usually end up injured.  I would like to get faster, but right now what I really want for IMKY is to not feel ill on the run like I did at the HIM.  Nutrition, going too fast on the bike, not sure what it is but I almost always feel sick to my stomach by the time I get to the run in a race.  Olympic distance as well.

For the two trail races in February, I'm just winging it.  Will try to get some trail running in before, and get my distance back up if I can, and then just run both to have fun.

For the IM I'm following Don Fink's Be Iron Fit 30 week competitive plan which starts in February.  There are a few people in a tri club I belong to doing it as well, so I'll have some friends to train with.

OK, better end now since this is getting so long.
2009-12-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2574338

User image

Regular

karen26.2 - 2009-12-22 8:44 PM
sesh - 2009-12-22 7:26 AM

And for my first question:

I do most of my riding on the trainer.  I just don't have enough sunlight in the winter months, and general life stuff even forces me inside in the wee hours on the weekends sometimes.  I'll be cranking up the tri training in January, and a lot of days I'll be doing about an hour ride followed by a three mile run.  I'd like to do more than just spin away with the Netflix cranked up during those rides.  You got any drills, intervals, etc. that you do on the trainer?

All the tris I'll be doing have rollers.  And by rollers I mean what anyone outside of Mississippi would call flats.  There won't be a lot of climbing, in fact, there probably won't be any climbing.  Just 18-24.5 miles of holding a gear and ignoring the pain.  Don't know if that info makes a difference.

The past two winters I have used Spinerval DVD's with my indoor trainer.  They have a ton of DVD's to select from, ranging from easy to hard with different types of training.  I have a few, but my favorite one I find myself doing over and over again is the 2.0 Time Trial Special and is an hour long tempo workout designed for triathletes.  I find it easier to push myself doing a Spinerval rather than watching a movie.  Coach Troy really makes you work.

I have a couple others, one is a hill workout, and the other one is a combination of several workouts put together for a 2 hour workout.

I highly recommend these DVD's.

Spinervals offers some 5-DVD compilation packages:

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item74.cfm

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item75.cfm

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item77.cfm

If you are not in a hurry, you can definitely find a good deal either at eBay, or, e.g., at Bike Nashbar.

I have the three packs above and like them (as I don't have any other Cycling DVDs I am not able to compare them)

The Aero Base Builder pack is not the most exiting one though. If you expect a kind of spinning class, you would be rather disappointed. The DVDs are the equivalent to the slow long distance run with the consequence that there is not a lot happening. You do e.g. a 30 minute, 20 minute, 10 minute and 5 minute set. No intervals.

Take care

YouYou

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17