BT Development Mentor Program Archives » wwlani's let's get started group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2009-12-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2578077

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: wwlani's let's get started group - Closed
Susan - it was one day, we don't have a weight issue from one day, the key is to get right back on track (which it sounds like you did!). It is what it is. Don't dwell on it. Walk today, keep going! And 2 pounds is 7,000 calories. If you didn't put 7,000 extra calories into your body, the weight gain is likely due to your body "dealing" with the different foods/beverages you gave it.

Have a great day.

Lani

2009-12-26 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2577370

New user

Subject: RE: wwlani's let's get started group - Open

1) Will you log your workouts on BT?

I plan to continue log the workouts on BT.  I have added the 20 week 2x Balanced Olympic as my Training Plan.

2) If you do are you interested in any feedback?

I would love to get feedback.  Any cheerleading or advice you want to provide would be wonderful.

3) What are YOU hoping to get out of this experience? (I can't help if I don't know what you expect)

I am brand new to triathlons, and am hoping to be able to use this group to become more comfortable with the idea of a triathlon.  Also just looking for general support and encouragement on triathlon as an impetus for weight loss.

4) How often do you plan to check "our" thread? Daily, weekly, etc.

I have set the thread to notify me via email any time there is a posting, so I will "check" it all the time.  I will be logging my training each day, so I expect to actually be on BT daily.

5) Would you like a daily motivational thought/idea/tri tip or weekly

Will take whatever you have time to offer.  I would be most interested in the tri tips.

2009-12-26 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2578054

Pflugerville
No work-out today.  Still trying to get over my cold.

Lani: How's the watch?
Susan: You had a GREAT Christmas eve!  I'm jealous.  Talk about a great motivator to keep exercising!  (Sorry about the hangover).

Edited by dylanco 2009-12-26 3:22 PM
2009-12-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2578268

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Watch is ok, but I think I deleted the log when I put my coat on I was looking at it in the pool and was getting some weird lap counts, but it could be I paused too long. Guess I'll have to swim again

2009-12-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2577456

Pflugerville
Answering my wetsuit question: I did some research online and found a couple of small studies.  Concensus is an experienced 'good' swimmer (uses proper technique and body position) isn't helped much by a wetsuit.  Primary value to an experienced swimmer would be heat management (not necessary in warmer water) and tiny reduction in resistance.  Experienced swimmers showed about a 5 second improvement with wet suit in a 400 meter race.  Verdict:  I won't be investing a wet suit unless temperature is an issue, or until 5 seconds will make or break my race outcome.  For less experienced swimmers, wet suit is a more worthwhile investment as it helps with body position and resistance.
2009-12-26 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2575000

User image

Denver, Colorado
Dylan - interesting info about the wetsuit & I hope you feel better soon!

Lani - thanks for the feedback.  The calories/lb thing is so strange. My body weight can fluctuate 5 lbs in a day... so it's gotta be something more than the cals.

I logged my 25 mins on the treadmill today and felt better after.  I drank (am drinking) a ton of water and tonight some family will come over for a low key dinner and game night.

Tomorrow my plan calls for a 2 mile bike but I plan on doing 4-5 and then a steam.

Have a great night everybody!

2009-12-26 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Sorry I have been lax at replying. Holidays with two little ones can be crazy. Today i did 60 minute spin with a sadist instructor who obviously didnt drink anything on Christmas.
1) Will you log your workouts on BT? I plan on starting January 1 with logging since that is the day I dive into full Ironman training.
2) If you do are you interested in any feedback? Any and all feedback would be welcome
3) What are YOU hoping to get out of this experience? (I can't help if I don't know what you expect) Motivation and people to cheer me on to the finish, hopefully we can become e-friends and maybe some will come to cheer me on in person since the family wont be able to make it.
4) How often do you plan to check "our" thread? Daily, weekly, etc.  Mostly daily, but not every day on weekends. i use BT to escape from work during the work week.
5) Would you like a daily motivational thought/idea/tri tip or weekly. All tips are welcome, daily, weekly, hourly, whatever works for you.

Oh yeah - welcome to all of the others on our Team.
2009-12-26 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2578386

Pflugerville
How did you get your sponsorships?  How does such an arrangement work?
2009-12-27 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Christopher Bean, Beaker Systems and That Butt Stuff were through Loop.com an are pretty decent discounts about 40-50%. I figured why not save some coin if I am already using the stuff. Honey Stinger I just sent them an email. Switch Vision is a new sunglass company that is pretty good and a friend knows the owner.
2009-12-27 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Happy Sunday all! Hope everyone had weather as nice as we did here in NJ

I spent the day indoors becoming one with my bike, no not on a trainer, I took a 6 hour intermediate bike maintenance course. I learned more about my bike than I thought possible. Learned how to change cables (break and derailleur), brake pads, true my wheel! I am such a geek.

Lani
2009-12-27 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
That is kinda geeky, but a I am sure a well spent 6 hours.  Cant believe I only have 4 more days left before my last year of not saying I am an ironman (hopefully).  I think, as does my wife, I am nuts.

2009-12-27 6:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Nice Lani.

Yes, 2010 is going to rock. And be accomplishment-laden.

The weather here in Denver has been cold and there's still a lot of snow on the ground. I saw some people running outside and thought, "there's an injury waiting to happen" when they hit an ice patch.  Must be why I've had to wait for a treadmill and bike at the gym both days this weekend.

Today my plan called for a 2 mile bike but did 4.  Felt strong and a little like a slacker with this training plan but I just keep reminding myself that I'm taking it slow and in just a few weeks I'm sure it will start to kick my .
2009-12-27 9:48 PM

User image

New user

Oh, this entire weekend has been horrible for me. Since I am newbie, I am still trying to find my stride and get into a routine.
I plan on doing a Sprint in September, and although I did a 5k in November, I was not confident. So I've started an agressive C25K plan. It's time I buckle down and get serious about it!
2009-12-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2579483

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Susan - Sorry about the snow Ours all melted in the rain...

USCGwife - (sorry I don't have list with your name in front of me, and I don't want to lose what I wrote by going back to check) it's one weekend, start new tomorrow! You CAN and WILL complete the sprint in September if that is what you want. Don't go out too hard, too fast or too far, you'll get hurt and discouraged. Slow and steady wins the race.

Todays quote (for tomorrow) "Minimum effort, maximum efficiency" Carlos Gracie Jr.
2009-12-28 9:55 AM

New user

Mondays are my WW weigh in.  Lost 1 pound this week.  Not amazing on its own, nor the 4 pounds lost over the month of December, however, considering I usually gain quite a bit of weight around the holidays, I am extremely pleased.  Add to the 4 pounds lost the increased activity and training, and I am quite proud of myself.

Will be logging the last few days activities in my logs later today.  Hope this finds you all doing well and staying motivated.

Seth

Edited by sethmisenar 2009-12-28 9:55 AM
2009-12-28 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Great job on the weight Seth. Hope you still enjoyed some good eats during the holidays. I ate way too much on Xmas and was actually in pain from it. That said, went for some nice runs afterwards and dropped to #### I put on that day.

2009-12-28 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2579965

User image

Denver, Colorado
Congrats on the loss Seth!!
2009-12-28 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Nice job on the weight loss Seth (and all who have not gained the usual 10+pounds) there are benefits of being a triathlete!

We're on page 3 already Woo-Hoo!

I swam this morning, with new watch, still trying to "figure it out", I'll report back later on what I discover.

Lani
2009-12-28 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Please help me all - I have selected a training plan (free) from Ontri that seems to work with my needs, however I cant get them into printable format or into BT. I was thinking of switching to the BT plans, but want to be able to customize a bit. For example, I hate swim drills. I just go and swim, anywhere from 1000 meters to 1.2 miles for now, but will need to start increasing that for IMLP. What do you all think about that type of customization? i am okay for the most part with the bike and run portions of the BT plans.
2009-12-28 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2580598

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Scott - I don't use ontri.com, but the IT background I have should be able help!

Go to the screen. If you can't right click on the mouse and get a "print" option, then at the screen press the "alt" key and the "sysrq" key at the same time. Open word, and press "shift" and "insert" (to paste) This will give you a screen print of the page, you may need multiple pages, but it should help.

Regarding swim drills - the coach in me will tell you that despite the fact you dislike them, they will make you a stronger swimmer. Hate them you may, but your swim will be easier in the long run. I know they make it seem like your in the pool longer and not making progress but you will in the long run

Lani
2009-12-28 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2577370

1) Will you log your workouts on BT?
2) If you do are you interested in any feedback?
3) What are YOU hoping to get out of this experience? (I can't help if I don't know what you expect)
4) How often do you plan to check "our" thread? Daily, weekly, etc.
5) Would you like a daily motivational thought/idea/tri tip or weekly

1. Yes
2. By all means.
3.  Someone to report to-- bonus of seeing others success
4.  daily/Every other day
5. Weekly tip would be better I think.

THANKS!!!
Erica

2009-12-28 9:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
Lani, thats not what I was hopign you would saySealed
2009-12-28 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2579965

Pflugerville
Congrats!  Great work!  I gained 2 pounds while sick over the holidays.  Looking forward to being able to begin training again.
2009-12-28 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2580598

Pflugerville
Having swum competitively many years, I can tell you you'll be a much happier and more successful swimmer if your technique is good.  So...  unless you have great technique already, as long as you're already putting in 1000m to 1.2mi anyway, you might as well spend some laps perfecting your technique...  You'll definitely see the improvement in ease and comfort and confidence swimming.
2009-12-29 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Orange
I am thinking my technique sucks since I am covering the distance with an average of 2m13s per 100/m. So I guess I should do some drills, huh?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » wwlani's let's get started group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 13