Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-01-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2579668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Hello Herve, good to hear from you. Tell us a little about your current weather conditions and how training goes this time of year and when will your event season begin? It's actually kind of cold hear in Florida right now, the jet stream is down in the south, so I'm ready for it to move back to the north.

2010-01-04 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Roy and Everyone, 

Well I don't think that the weather in Florida, even cold, compares to what we have here. We have a good bit of snow, at night it's rather cold in the -15C that would be about 8F, and around -5C during the day (23F). 

Currently all my training takes place indoors (I am a bit of a fair weather sportsman). For January, my plan is to swim twice a week, on Monday I do intervals and on Wednesday distance (1 to 1,5K depending on how I feel). Then I go to Spinning class at the local gym on Thursday, which I combine with 5K on the treadmill (I hate this machine but it helps staying at a given speed) and a bit of abs training. Finally, I'm fortunate in that I own a tacx trainer and a cross-trainer (actually it's my wife's but she doesn't use it) so I would normally do 20 to 40K on the tacx at a given watt output (quite low at present +/-140W) and follow with 5K on the cross-trainer and that takes care of the weekend.

That makes 6 sessions / for about 4:30 per week,  I can't wait for the weather to improve to go back to some real running and cycling but most likely that won't take place before end of Feb.  

Do you think that it makes sense for this month? Because deep down, I think that nothing replaces outdoor training but at present there is hardly any other possibility. 

take care, Herve 
2010-01-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2585775

New user
Greetings and yes, I am onboard with you. Happy New Year to all from "sunny" Sunnyvale, CA! I just relocated here from Washington, DC area and just beginning my winter training so I am excited to learn and share with everyone.

Today, I am biking 20 miles to meet my spouse at Stanford U and then we will run a 5-6 mile loop. She is the marathoner in the house.

I need help with swimming! Really, slow in pool and psyched out in open water.

Hope everyone is well and healthy!

Cheers,

David
2010-01-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2592649

New user
Herve,

The dreaded treadmill! Yuck. I am lucky to be here in CA and no longer on the east coast. Last winter was a mess with the indoor training. I will spin as well n my house to Spinervals CD if the weather is bad.

My schedule looks something like this:

Bike / Run - M/W/F
Swim and Core strength - T/Th
Long Bike ride - Sat
Bricks - Sat. (beginning in late Feb.)
Rest - Sunday

David
2010-01-04 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2592649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

HerveB - 2010-01-04 1:10 PM Hello Roy and Everyone, 

Well I don't think that the weather in Florida, even cold, compares to what we have here. We have a good bit of snow, at night it's rather cold in the -15C that would be about 8F, and around -5C during the day (23F). 

Currently all my training takes place indoors (I am a bit of a fair weather sportsman). For January, my plan is to swim twice a week, on Monday I do intervals and on Wednesday distance (1 to 1,5K depending on how I feel). Then I go to Spinning class at the local gym on Thursday, which I combine with 5K on the treadmill (I hate this machine but it helps staying at a given speed) and a bit of abs training. Finally, I'm fortunate in that I own a tacx trainer and a cross-trainer (actually it's my wife's but she doesn't use it) so I would normally do 20 to 40K on the tacx at a given watt output (quite low at present +/-140W) and follow with 5K on the cross-trainer and that takes care of the weekend.

That makes 6 sessions / for about 4:30 per week,  I can't wait for the weather to improve to go back to some real running and cycling but most likely that won't take place before end of Feb.  

Do you think that it makes sense for this month? Because deep down, I think that nothing replaces outdoor training but at present there is hardly any other possibility. 

take care, Herve 

Thanks for the info, and yes by your standards we are just a bunch of wimps in Florida, it did get to a low of 27 where I'm at this morning. So for us that cold. I think given your weather limitations for now what your are doing is fine. We all should be working on base mileage/yardage very aerobic in nature time of year. You are preparing your body for the more rigorous training months ahead so there is no need to press and feel like you are not doing enough. Even when you are doing enough you get to a point sometimes that you feel there is more to do. You just have to trust your training.

2010-01-04 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2592894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

dwarner63 - 2010-01-04 2:29 PM Herve,

The dreaded treadmill! Yuck. I am lucky to be here in CA and no longer on the east coast. Last winter was a mess with the indoor training. I will spin as well n my house to Spinervals CD if the weather is bad.

My schedule looks something like this:

Bike / Run - M/W/F
Swim and Core strength - T/Th
Long Bike ride - Sat
Bricks - Sat. (beginning in late Feb.)
Rest - Sunday

David

David that looks like a good schedule, what are your distances that most of your workouts will be. If you are doubling up on m/w/f on bike and run, you might start to feel a little sluggish at some point. So you may need to adjust that a bit, but experiment with your training and what fits your schedule and fitness.

2010-01-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2592897

New user
tri/tbay - 2010-01-04 1:30 PM Thanks for the info, and yes by your standards we are just a bunch of wimps in Florida, it did get to a low of 27 where I'm at this morning.

Wow 27 degrees. I'm taking our marine biology club to Crystal River to swim with the manatees and we're camping. Looks like we'll be in for a treat, haha. At least I can log some open water swimming....
2010-01-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2592925

New user

Roy -

Yes, when I am doubling up during the week I am usually alternating between long run / bike so I do not burn out. I am monitoring my fatigue level closely. Thanks for the advice! I also noticed that I am eating a whole bunch more and find myself grazing throughout the day.

As for my swim, I really need to crack the code. Last year, I could swim 2 miles in the pool and be complete at around 1:20:00 or so, but when I did my sprints it was like I was lost. 1/4 mile time of 20+ minutes. I plan on more open water time here. I recently joined the Silicon Valley Tri Club so I am hoping for support there as well.

David

2010-01-04 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

These are just some of my thoughts about triathlon training and what most of you will experience within the next few months. None of us has unlimited training time, even our college students thay have to go class sometime(right), so TIME becomes a key element in your training efforts, and schedules. And so to introduce my sig line " get done what you can when you can" it often times is what it will come down to. The following are just areas that I feel impact how things will go:

1)WORKOUTS/SCHEDULES

2)NUTRITION

3)EQUIPMENT

4)TIME

1) Workouts/schedules- all workouts should have purpose and to some degree specificity towards one of the disciplines. Although bike/run workouts have overlapping benefits there will still be a need to have specific thoughts on what you are accomplishing for that workout, ie, hills, intervals, long bike/run, bricks. If you are following a plan say 12,16,20 weeks etc there will be in the beginning the base conditioning phase, these are very aerobic workouts not intended to work much past 150 beats per minute of the heart(bpm), you may experience higher initially if you are not in shape yet for that workout but just back off and let the adaption take place to where you can do the workout at that hr. As you progress into the plan you see intensities increase during the specific endurance phase as you head to the peak fitness for your event that is targeted. Speed work- be careful here. It has been written about alot, if you are not used to this level of work injury often times happens with these types of workouts, some say don't bother with it unless your are trying to podium. It will come later in the training plan and fairly close to the event, so it doesn't offer much recovery/healing opportunity if injury happens. You all know your bodies abilities and adaptations, so just be careful if you are doing speed work. The "taper", or reduction on mile/yardage just before an event is intended to now let your body rest, repair and prepare for what is ahead. Pro's and elites have this down to science but it is still very individual in how you implement the taper. Bottom line follow the path, trust in your training prior to this and don't freak out the last week or two that you are going to get out of shape. It doesn't happen that way.

2)Nutrition- Most of you probably already have your sports drink/gels etc chosen that you like. There are many, you just have to go with what will keep your system happy during an event or training for that matter. Some can't tolerate fluids, some can't tolerate gels, so experiment in training and that's what you will go with to race. An unhappy stomach during an event is not fun, even though I have never had a severe case it is still uncomfortable and can really change the days outcome. Also just going through the change in every day diets will take some getting used to, but you'll be happy with the change it brings on. You will most likely see your apetite increase as your begin this endeavor. Its normal.

3)Equipment- Ahhhh all of those pretty bikes, wheels, seats, aero bars set ups, outfits and shoes. Where do you start. Well simply if you are committed to this season of at least the beginning of it to use what you already have stick with it. You will still compete and be happy with your efforts. It gets really confusing when you start to look at all of the options available. Make the choices you'll be happy with. But once again, don't be afraid to go with what you have or can afford in the beginning.

4)Time- this to me is the most important area, we all have regular lives, family, jobs, school etc. so there is only so much TIME. Use it wisely, plan your workouts in advance if your are not following a plan, and if you are you still need to plan the week around the plan or vice versa. As I said I'm a realist about things and this sport I'm no different, and somewhere along the way I kind of adopted the moto "get done what you can when you can". If you take this approach and use it as it applies to your situation it will help maintain the balance that we all need to have in our busy lifes.

So these are just some of my thoughts that may be helpful to you as you move closer to race day. 

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-01-04 8:11 PM
2010-01-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2592855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

dwarner63 - 2010-01-04 2:19 PM Greetings and yes, I am onboard with you. Happy New Year to all from "sunny" Sunnyvale, CA! I just relocated here from Washington, DC area and just beginning my winter training so I am excited to learn and share with everyone.

I need help with swimming! Really, slow in pool and psyched out in open water

Driving down the road I thought about this comment and then thought about your training schedule. This is where if you were to make some adjustments to your plan I would add another swim into the mix. Early season is a good time to add a swim, get your weekly yardage up for a while then if you need to back off as the spring comes around then you will have a better base for your swim.

2010-01-05 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2593879

New user
Roy -

Yes, I was thinking about adding an extra swim day in and I will do it. Since it is my weakest area I can only improve. What do you think about using swim paddles and boards? I have never used them and have heard mixed reviews.

I rode 19 miles in 1:11:23 yesterday after I changed my second flat within a month on my rear tire. I statred the ride frustrated, but found a good cadance. The nice thing here is that I can tag behind stronger riders and get some benefit. I would like to be able to keep up one of these days. I got a late start from here so by the time I made it to Stanford to meet my better half it was dark. We did not run.

Also, I have been doing early morning Pilates and Yoga from time to time. Seems to help with flexibility, but I need to strengthen my core,

Cheers to all!

David

Edited by dwarner63 2010-01-05 9:59 AM

2010-01-05 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi David and all, 

Can't help much with the swimming (it's my weakest part as well) but the board helps me improving my kick, I like to train legs only for the kick and right arm, left arm for the pull (but I don't use any help there).

As for cycling (that's my strongest part with running) try to tag behind stronger lads but get some time in front - doesn't matter for how long - doing so even for a few 100 meters you will get your heart and legs going and get stronger from it, you should find that over time you are able to stay in front for longer periods of time, and one day you'll turn around to see that no one's able to follow you... 

Good day to you all (rest day for me today...) Herve 
2010-01-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2595357

New user
Herve -

Merci! That is really good advice on biking. I would not have considered trying to get up front. I will give it a shot.

As for the swimming, I am undecided whether to use a training aid, such as the paddles.

Cheers!

David
2010-01-05 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2595625

New user
dwarner63 - 2010-01-05 1:58 PM

As for the swimming, I am undecided whether to use a training aid, such as the paddles.

Cheers!

David

Thanks for bringing that up. I was also wondering if it would be good to start training with paddles?
2010-01-05 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Day to everyone,

Just got back from and education seminar, only nodded off once. Good questions about paddles. My answer to you is absolutely YES, use them but don't over use them. This will be a strengthening excersize during your swim workouts, along with providing feedback to you on your swim stroke. I generally only recommend using them for about 400 yds. total. I also use them with a pull buoy, this is an isolation to the upper body with no kicking. So you will use a pull buoy for a pull set. You can do a 400 straight pull, 2x200, 4x100, keep these sets very aerobic not intended to be a speed set in anyway. You are strengthening the lats, tricep and shoulders when using paddles. You won't find that you can rotate very well, but thats not the purpose, you'll feel your high in the water from the buoy. Following a pull set, you'll still have the sensation of the paddles on your hands, and you can follow up a pull set with a couple of 200's, or 8x50 to reinforce the work you just did. Get paddles that are shaped like the hand and have holes in the palm, there alots to choose from, don't get the old school square type. You can do a pull set everytime you swim while you are doing your base yardage phase of your training.

As for kicking, I personally don't spend much if any time doing kicking. I don't have a natural kick, I use a two beat kick for balance. So if kicking is a struggle, there is more productive time to be spent. This is what I recommend to triathletes I have worked with. If you have a pretty natural kick and go down and back pretty easy then doing some kick sets is fine. Kicking strenthens the hamstring, lower back. You don't have to be able to kick like the age group swimmers I coach. Kicking is paramount to the type of swimming they do, but it is not an essential element of triathlon swimming.

Good conversation guys keep it going, hopefully we'll start to hear from some of the others.

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-01-05 3:22 PM
2010-01-06 2:08 AM

User image

Happy New Year Guys!

All good intentions for starting the year with an early morning swim have gone out of the window.
The UK is currently experiencing really cold conditions (well for us anyway - and we are so bad at handling it).
Last night we had 8 inches of snow and it's -6 so very pretty but rubbish for the early morning drive to the pool.

So that's the first excuse out of the way for 2010.

Really looking forward to this year - as a solo triathlete sometimes the motiviation is lacking, so hopefully this group will be just what I need.

Registered for my first race - Chirk Tri on the 25th April - http://www.wrecsamtri.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=arti...

Looking to get my schedule sorted this week. And get back into the training.

My other sport is curling, which takes up a number of weekends and 1 night a week - so I don't want to over train until the end of season which is 03/22 or 22/03 (depending on which side of the Atlantic you are).

Had December off - due to Curling commitments (coaching at the European Championships), and shocked at the weight I put on. Christmas didn't help.

Planned Training for January

Mon/Wed/Thur/Friday - Swimming: Front Crawl is poor, so planning just to work on technique and breathing - Quality not Quantity
Wed/Fri - Spinning Class
Tue/Thur/Sun - Run with some friends just to get back in to the swing; looking to get back to doing 5km by Feb.

Febuary - imported the 8wk Balanced programme to get some structure back into training.Which then brings me to the end of the Curling season and hopefully a good base for the season. What I do then is a big question for me?

Cheers!

2010-01-06 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2596868

New user
Subject: Follow up - Andrew

Andrew - last year I was basically on my own for the the 4 sprints I managed to complete. I learned a lot being on my own, but sure wish I had some support as I decided to go down this road. This group is a great place and I am learning much.

You have a game plan and that is more than I had last year. I basically did what I could when I had time and basically "winged it". By the time I finished my 4th sprint I really felt a sense of confidence as knowing the logistics and the training time I put in would get me through the race.

I looked at the site you sent. I am assuming this is a sprint distance? Is the swim in a pool or open water? I am sure you will do just fine. Stick to your plan and let us know how we can best support you.

By the way, do you use the training log feature on this site? I just started logging my workouts and it can be a strong motivator and guide to track your progress / goals. I think you can view my log. If not let me know.

Cheers!

David

Edited by dwarner63 2010-01-06 10:10 AM
2010-01-06 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Andrew good to hear from you, interesting as you mentioned your weather in Manchester. One of the golf professionals here where I work is from that are of England. He told me this morning that his parents are coming over today, out of Manchester. It took them 6 hours to get to the airport, usually 2 hrs. And they were on about an 8 hour delay to get on their flight to Florida. So nasty weather is right. Still quite cold here in Florida, bottomed out at the golf course last night at 24degrees F.

You mentioned training by yourself, it can get thay way. Mostly because of my work and coaching schedules I do about 98 percent of my training alone. It can get a bit lonely at times. I try when I can to get with some people it just doesn't work out for me to well. If you can find some folks local it will help. But certainly the BT forum is very valuable, and having these groups can kind of fill some of that need.

I like curling by the way, always like to watch it at the Olympics when they show it.

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-01-06 11:44 AM
2010-01-06 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi Everyone,

More snow news, I left a customer at 4PM this afternoon as it was starting to snow, and spent 5 hours in my car to cover the amazing distance of 53KM! (I would have been faster running! provided that I could run that distance...)

As for training alone, I think one can manage well especially for what concerns running and swimming. I would say that if you need to improve your cycling,  I personally get more in cycling with a group. Though we cannot trail during Tri events - you can during training, and you will get a feel for some serious speed there and get the push to cycle a little bit harder - your muscles will remember it when you're on your own. So, it's worth spending a little money to join your local cycling club or finding a small group you could cycle with. Anyway, that works for me.

I hope this snowing will come to an end, cause I can't wait to get some real training going.

Herve.  
2010-01-06 7:01 PM

I finally got my YMCA membership! I'm totally excited about working on my swimming, though I may wait until it warms up. (hit 22 F today!) The pool is heated but its also outside, eek. I also plan on doing some yoga and spinning classes and see how I like those. Overall training hasnt been too productive because of the weather and I'm considering just working on some traditional winter training. I also live in Florida and dont remember cold being an issue last year, there's even a possibility of snow this week.
2010-01-07 10:15 AM

New user
Subject: Training
Hi All -

I hope everyone is staying warm. Living in California has spoiled me. We have a heated outdoor pool (salt water too) and spa. The temps has been very conducive to training.

I rode yesterday a route that is about 19 miles. I am taking Herve's advice and trying to ride with stronger folks. I met up with 2 riders and even though they were on a recovery ride, I found myself riding with them as best I could. one problem I have is on inclines I tend to drop way behind even if the incline is not too steep of a grade and even short. Any advice on addding hills or whatever to build some strength?

I met my wife after my ride at the university and we ran a 6 mile loop. I had a full day and feel ok, although my right knee (inside area) is sore. Maybe inflammed.

Roy - I could use some nutrition advice on days like I had yesterday. I had a decent lunch, hydrated, and had some shot blocks. Seemed to run out of energy halfway in the run. Maybe not enough carbs.

Swimming tonight before the BCS game! Go Texas!

Glad to see others here and for you Floridians, hopefully the weather will warm up a bit.

Cheers!

David

2010-01-07 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! 21 degrees this morning, the afternoon is OK, we are going to have about a 1 day break from cold, then next front gets in here. Winter can be over now!!!!!

The folks coming from England that I told Andrew about, it took them 27 hours to Orlando. So I feel for you Herve.

Alice where are you in Florida? My daughters' both go to FAU.

David nutrition is going to be key to good training and racing. And since it looks like you are hitting it pretty hard, more calories is going to be necessary. If you have been used to more of a weight watching type of diet, your going to have to change your thinking a bit and get in more calories during the day. If your doing doubles it is going to be real important to stay fueled so you don't hit the wall in the PM. When I'm in full training mode, I eat between 4AM and 11Am about 4 times, not big but just keep putting some calories in there. Try to eat good carbs, thats hard to do. A medium lunch and then since my workouts are in the PM, post lunch nutrition is geared towards that workout. Also do you take vitiamins? If you are trying to lose some weight, then a little light on the calories is OK, but once you hit or if you are at your weight, then keep track of it. I weigh twice a day most of the year, and I have a good indication based on AM-PM weight that I'm eating right. Can't really recommend what to eat, looks like you and your wife are active and probably have a pretty good diet already. So experiment some, sounds like you just need to up you caloric intake a bit and I'm sure you feel great in the afternoons. Also stay hydrated and make sure you are getting enough electrolytes, that will also cause fatigue symptoms. The shotblocks alone probably are not enough to sustain your pm workout. You'll burn around 600 calories on the 6 mile run alone.

Hills, another story. Just keep riding, most of us don't get great opportunities to ride hills. You now have a great opportunity, and you going to be riding among people that have been doing it for years. So don't worry you'll get stronger, but remember some people are just going to be better at it than others. As for technique, if you are on your road bike, sit back on the saddle, hold on to the top of the bars. You'll have better leverage that way. And find that happy gear for going up those hills.

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-01-07 12:30 PM
2010-01-07 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi all, I really like this group, makes me feel like I'm doing a team sport instead of an individual one... David as for your cycling question, climbing is not so much about power has it is about RPM and power to weight ratio. The good climbers are generally light and not that powerful compared to the TT specialists or sprinters. 3 things can improve your climbing ability: losing weight (if you need to) you will have less to take up the hill, increase your RPM will allow you to go faster for the same power output, and of course increase your power output. Given that you already run and swim, power training would not be my first choice, and I'd try concentrating on RPM with sessions staying above 90 RPM. Going for a swim, take care, Herve
2010-01-07 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good thoughts Herve,

One other element on nutrition, make sure your taking in enough protein to aid in recovery. Especially if your doing two a days. The old PBJ is my first choice, then whey protein drinks/smooties with fruit or whey protein and some 1% milk just before bed.

2010-01-07 1:42 PM

New user
I have another question about swimming. Should I work on distance or up my pace? The reason why is that I've never really gotten tired during my swims. I'll go for an hour or so with maybe 2-3 stops for the entire swim. Should I continue to do this? or increase my pace and cut my total swim time? I did feel it a little bit yesterday, since I started using the paddles.

Oh and for anyone looking for some quick PM nutrition.....peanut butter on celery sticks seem to do wonders for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7