BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Melindy's Mentor Group--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-13 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2770120

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Melindy's Mentor Group--OPEN
Hey guys! Hope everyone's tuesday went well! Mine was a bit all over the place with clinical exam prep and feeling a bit yucky too...Gonna pack it in early tonight I think. I have a x-country 4.5k race tomorrow. haha...wooo!

2010-04-13 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hello everyone Feeling yucky myself. Really hope I am not coming down with something. Have a 60 mile ride on Sunday! Noooooo. I have a 305 and I love it. Just managed to import some new bike courses onto it. Also learning Geocaching on it too for hiking later. Does a lot that I like. I have a really dumb question. I ran a 12K Sunday, I'm no speed demon by any means. Hadn't really ran much befoehand but felt my volume of biking etc was enough. My goal was to run as much of it without walking. I did not bad with only 2 walk breaks. Yesterday my quads were quite painful but today I can hardly touch them or bend my legs. I've never experienced this before and I'm just wondering what I have done wrong? Again sorry for sounding so stupid.

2010-04-14 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Mind if an American joins in? 

Your group caught my eye Melissa because you are in school, I'm also a student right now, still an undergrad working on a science degree, but I'm also married and have two children, so balance family + school + training is really difficult. School is very important to me, and it always feels like if I am doing homework, then training is falling behind, if I am training, then homework is falling behind. So I spend all my training time feeling guilty about not studying, and all my study time feeling guilty about not training.

About me: I'm 33, married, two kids ages 12 and 9. In 2005, after two kids I found myself very overweight and with tons of health problems. Something just clicked and I was done with living that way. I started eating super healthy, and actually exercising...in 11 months I lost 75 lbs going from a size 18 to a size 2. And I've kept it off since then, still with eating healthy and exercising. Working out became addicting (in a good way) and I got down to 17% body fat. But I just exercised, I didn't "train." I spent 4-5 days a week at the gym doing a combo of weights and various cardio, everything from machines to aerobics to spin classes, just to stay in shape.

Two years ago I started running. I've done a handful of 5 and 10Ks. I loved having a real concrete goal of a race to work toward. Last fall I started thinking about tris and in January decided to go for it. Signed up for my first race, April 24, a sprint (only 10 days away!) Its been a long couple months, with lots of challenges I didn't anticipate and lots of lessons learned (learning to ride a road bike, learning to use clipless pedals, learning that despite loving swimming and being strong in the pool open water freaks me out, etc.) I don't feel nearly as prepared for my first race as I'd like, but hopefully I will make it through!

Right now I just want to get through my first race, but if it goes okay and I want to continue, then I would like to do at least 2-3 more sprints this year and I am possibly looking at the long term goal of an oly by the end of Sept.
2010-04-14 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN
Welcome! Sounds great! You have done great job last 5 years (not saying, you didn't do great job before that...) What distance are you planning to do?
2010-04-14 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN
... and still learning to read, i guess. sprint, i see. good luck! easy swim, don't start bikeride too fast, take your time on transititons, easy first half of the run, then all out! it will be good. do you get your family to cheer?
2010-04-14 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2789963

User image

Champion
Triathlynne - 2010-04-13 8:32 PM

Hello everyone Feeling yucky myself. Really hope I am not coming down with something. Have a 60 mile ride on Sunday! Noooooo. I have a 305 and I love it. Just managed to import some new bike courses onto it. Also learning Geocaching on it too for hiking later. Does a lot that I like. I have a really dumb question. I ran a 12K Sunday, I'm no speed demon by any means. Hadn't really ran much befoehand but felt my volume of biking etc was enough. My goal was to run as much of it without walking. I did not bad with only 2 walk breaks. Yesterday my quads were quite painful but today I can hardly touch them or bend my legs. I've never experienced this before and I'm just wondering what I have done wrong? Again sorry for sounding so stupid.

Naw! I know you have heard it before, but there`s no stupid questions!

It sounds like you might have pushed it a bit too hard on that 12km compared to the mileage you had built up. Even if you have done alot of running in the past, even a short period of time off running (months) can give you problems if you try to do too much too quickly. Its sometimes harder for people who do have experience in racing and training to not just do X distance because thats what they used to do...but the body does decondition relatively quickly and you have to recondition your body to get back to what you used to do. (Mind you, I think we all do it...and then pay for it for a few days afterwards)

What you are experiencing right now is delayed-onset pain/stiffness...it is quite common to have more discomfort a few days after a hard effort compared to the day of or next day. What you have done to yourself is taxed the muscle fibers more than they were ready for. Exercising creates micro-tears in the muscle fibers as they expand and contract to move you while you exercise. However, if they are stretched beyond what they are ready for, you get a higher amount of tearing--which then causes inflammation and fluid movement in the "injured" areas and the pain and stiffness you are feeling. Even if you have been biking alot, running is an high impact sport--so CV wise and muscle strength wise for biking you are fine, but your body is not accustomed to the repetative, jarring impact that occurs in running. Were there alot of downhills or uneven terrain? This puts the quads into play. Alot of running training is meant for your soft tissue structures and bones to become accustomed to the impact, this is why most running programs slowly build mileage up and have lots of long, easy efforts. Alot of running injuries are caused by trying to do too much to quickly.

I'd say take it easy...maybe swim/bike easy until the majority of the pain/stiffness goes away. Anti-inflammatories (advil/aleeve/aspirin--NOT tylenol--tylenol is only for pain and fever--not inflammation) will help you will the pain and tone down some of the inflammation. Also, having an ice bath after long runs can help you out post-run, stretching mildly, topical creams (Icy/Hot, etc) can help relieve symptoms. When you get back on your feet for running...take it easy, build slowly!

Does that help you out Lynne?

2010-04-14 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2790372

User image

Champion
mademille - 2010-04-14 6:21 AM Mind if an American joins in? 

Your group caught my eye Melissa because you are in school, I'm also a student right now, still an undergrad working on a science degree, but I'm also married and have two children, so balance family + school + training is really difficult. School is very important to me, and it always feels like if I am doing homework, then training is falling behind, if I am training, then homework is falling behind. So I spend all my training time feeling guilty about not studying, and all my study time feeling guilty about not training.

About me: I'm 33, married, two kids ages 12 and 9. In 2005, after two kids I found myself very overweight and with tons of health problems. Something just clicked and I was done with living that way. I started eating super healthy, and actually exercising...in 11 months I lost 75 lbs going from a size 18 to a size 2. And I've kept it off since then, still with eating healthy and exercising. Working out became addicting (in a good way) and I got down to 17% body fat. But I just exercised, I didn't "train." I spent 4-5 days a week at the gym doing a combo of weights and various cardio, everything from machines to aerobics to spin classes, just to stay in shape.

Two years ago I started running. I've done a handful of 5 and 10Ks. I loved having a real concrete goal of a race to work toward. Last fall I started thinking about tris and in January decided to go for it. Signed up for my first race, April 24, a sprint (only 10 days away!) Its been a long couple months, with lots of challenges I didn't anticipate and lots of lessons learned (learning to ride a road bike, learning to use clipless pedals, learning that despite loving swimming and being strong in the pool open water freaks me out, etc.) I don't feel nearly as prepared for my first race as I'd like, but hopefully I will make it through!

Right now I just want to get through my first race, but if it goes okay and I want to continue, then I would like to do at least 2-3 more sprints this year and I am possibly looking at the long term goal of an oly by the end of Sept.

Welcome! I can definately relate to feeling guilty when studying and not training and training and not studying...Ultimately, school is the priority..as much as I try to avoid this fact. People on here have told me many times that triathlon is not going anywhere in the next few years!

I am lucky though, med school has alot more resources for students than most undergrad programs do. All of my lectures are available online in audio and video formats so I don't even need to go to class anymore. And I find, for me, this is the way to go...I'm too ADD to handle lectures (people are so much more interesting than paying attention to the actual lecture) so I just do it on my own. I started experimenting with this method 2 blocks ago and I must say it has worked well for me. We still have mandatory sessions that I have to attend, but no lectures for me. So I learn things once rather than 3x because I wasn't paying attention in class.

Wicked job on getting active! When I stopped swimming after my 1st year of my BSc. I gained weight...so much harder to take off than put on. I fit into my clothes from my swimming days now though! Triathlon is awesome! Fabulous job!

Looks like you have a solid basis to start with for tri! Most things in tri tend to have a steep learning curve--clipless pedals--yeeesh..don't worry, every single person had their own random mishaps with those things when they started! I don't think I ever actually fell over...but I had many close calls with moving my weight too far over to one side!

Good luck with the sprint! I'm sure it will go great! Sounds like you have spent the time to prepare yourself! Just get in there and giver!

What are you doing your BSc in? I have a BSc. Hon in Physiology.
2010-04-14 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2791808

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
antti asu - 2010-04-14 1:26 PM ... and still learning to read, i guess. sprint, i see. good luck! easy swim, don't start bikeride too fast, take your time on transititons, easy first half of the run, then all out! it will be good. do you get your family to cheer?

Thanks...yep, my family will be there to cheer for me (or pick me up and drag me home if I don't make it!)
2010-04-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2791905

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
My degree is kind of up in the air right now, I'm currently waiting to hear if I got accepted into a geology program. If I did, then it will be geology. If not, I will probably get a physical science degree with emphasis in teacher certification.

Its funny, going into this I thought I had a decent general fitness base and that that would help...but I'm starting to doubt whether it does, especially on the bike (by FAR my weakness). Swimming and running I feel pretty good, not fast, but like I would be a solidly MOP, which is fine with me. But biking...yikes, its really pathetic. But I guess we all start somewhere with this, I really just want to survive my first one, cross the finish line and not cause anyone else to crash on the bike course! If I accomplish those three things, I will be happy with it!

Having a hard time getting motivated today for a ride, I've loaded up and tried to leave the house 3x and its started raining every time!

2010-04-14 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2792179

User image

Champion
mademille - 2010-04-14 2:16 PM My degree is kind of up in the air right now, I'm currently waiting to hear if I got accepted into a geology program. If I did, then it will be geology. If not, I will probably get a physical science degree with emphasis in teacher certification.

Its funny, going into this I thought I had a decent general fitness base and that that would help...but I'm starting to doubt whether it does, especially on the bike (by FAR my weakness). Swimming and running I feel pretty good, not fast, but like I would be a solidly MOP, which is fine with me. But biking...yikes, its really pathetic. But I guess we all start somewhere with this, I really just want to survive my first one, cross the finish line and not cause anyone else to crash on the bike course! If I accomplish those three things, I will be happy with it!

Having a hard time getting motivated today for a ride, I've loaded up and tried to leave the house 3x and its started raining every time!

Don't put too much pressure on yourself! Just go out and have fun! Thats the name of the game for your first time...or 20th time..

Just focus on what your strengths are at this point, race, and then work on what you need to work on after!! Just stay to the right on the bike and you shouldn't cause any crashes!
2010-04-14 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Just did a X-country 4.5km race...its a wed night x-country series in our rivervalley...

So it started off flat...def wasn't flat by the end...thats for sure...haha...painfully steep sometimes! Oh well...and I got a stitch prob 3/4 through...not so fun...next time---hydrating and not drinking coffee beforehand..!

2010-04-15 3:23 AM

User image

Regular
Morning All and hello to the latest additions Smile

I have been there with DOMS as well, worst bit is having to walk downstairs backwards !

currently in 'taper madness' , legs feel like lead but need to get out for a 3-4 miler this morning.
My new bike shoes arrived yesterday, oooh they are shiney !!
First time i've had clipless pedals so should be interesting.

2010-04-15 10:56 PM

Dolores, CO
Room for another??

Name: Jon

STORY:  43 and pretty new to the sport.  So lets start in Sept. I weighed 255lbs. so I started dieting and getting in shape so I started cycling then it got cold  but I set up my mountain bike on a trainer and started using it a bit. So between Sept and Jan I dropped to 210-215lbs and I have been hovering there through the first part of the year.  Did the Dessert Classic Duathlon at the end of Feb.

WEIGHTLOSS: Hopefully down to about 180-185 by the end of the summer.

RACES: The only race I have signed up for at the moment is The Atomic Man Duathlon(Fat Man).

2010-04-16 3:14 AM

New user

australia
Hi Mindy,
Can you fit a real beginner in? I could be your addition from right over the pond in Oz lol!
I'm 38, gave up smoking after 22 years last year, hit the gym and have never looked back.

I know it's only baby steps, looking at the inspiring work everyone else has done but so far I've done the Bridge to Brisbane Race (small 10km run) and am just going to do my first enticer tri this week end.

I basically need help with everything lol!
My swimming is my worst leg (suprise suprise after 22 years of smoking) but also compounded with excercise induced asthma.

So to say I'm thrilled to be  running, swimming and cycling is an understatement.
I want to get to a full tri by the end of our season next time.
I do Pt x 2 weekly and group PT x 3 weekly and train every day with a 10km run every Sunday.

I need to put all that together to become a suprise package on the field, Can you please help?
2010-04-16 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2795420

User image

Champion
Jonkj - 2010-04-15 9:56 PM Room for another??

Name: Jon

STORY:  43 and pretty new to the sport.  So lets start in Sept. I weighed 255lbs. so I started dieting and getting in shape so I started cycling then it got cold  but I set up my mountain bike on a trainer and started using it a bit. So between Sept and Jan I dropped to 210-215lbs and I have been hovering there through the first part of the year.  Did the Dessert Classic Duathlon at the end of Feb.

WEIGHTLOSS: Hopefully down to about 180-185 by the end of the summer.

RACES: The only race I have signed up for at the moment is The Atomic Man Duathlon(Fat Man).

Hey Jon!! Welcome to the group! Definately have room Great job on the current weightloss progress and on the training!

2010-04-16 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2795529

User image

Champion
fee prince - 2010-04-16 2:14 AM Hi Mindy,
Can you fit a real beginner in? I could be your addition from right over the pond in Oz lol!
I'm 38, gave up smoking after 22 years last year, hit the gym and have never looked back.

I know it's only baby steps, looking at the inspiring work everyone else has done but so far I've done the Bridge to Brisbane Race (small 10km run) and am just going to do my first enticer tri this week end.

I basically need help with everything lol!
My swimming is my worst leg (suprise suprise after 22 years of smoking) but also compounded with excercise induced asthma.

So to say I'm thrilled to be  running, swimming and cycling is an understatement.
I want to get to a full tri by the end of our season next time.
I do Pt x 2 weekly and group PT x 3 weekly and train every day with a 10km run every Sunday.

I need to put all that together to become a suprise package on the field, Can you please help?

YES! Welcome! Glad to hear you stopped smoking! Congrats! (Honestly, best thing you could have done for yourself Just finished respiratory medicine block...and everything is worse with smoking)

Ask away!

(Good luck this weekend! You will be hooked! The atmosphere before races is my FAVORITIST thing ever--yes, I just made a word up)

2010-04-16 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
Looks like we have quite the international group so far!! I'm really excited!

I'm also currently have difficulty writing up a paper on a friday afternoon...so I think my friend and I are going to stop soon and do something else...non-school related! Going to see a movie tonight too! Wanted to see "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" but its only playing right now on the opposite side of the city...so I think we are going to see Kick A$$! It should be EPIC!! Haha.

(I like EPIC movies that are technically really bad...they make life a little bit lighter...haha...)

EDIT: Had to add A$$ cause the actual word got censured out...haha

Edited by mndymond 2010-04-16 6:36 PM
2010-04-17 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

I got to sleep in and been chilling...need to go for a run soon! Then actually go and write my paper up!
2010-04-17 4:28 PM

Dolores, CO

Did a 10 mile run yesterday on an indoor tracka tht e rec center(longest run for me) in about an 8 min mile pace.  Then in the afternoon got a massage (deep tissue) the therapist really works me over. 

Today I slept in also and went for a bike ride as I am not the smart I decided to do a long loop for a noob with a bunch of hills (Colorado has hills who knew).  Loop was about 46.6 miles and did a flat out and back NE out of town to round it out to 50 miles.

Hmm such an international group maybe I should have put the distances in km 16km run and 80ish km bike ride...I think thats right.

Oh last big days before my event so will be doing the short taper this week and The Atomic Man on 4/26.

Edited by Jonkj 2010-04-17 4:31 PM
2010-04-17 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2798547

User image

Champion
Jonkj - 2010-04-17 3:28 PM

Did a 10 mile run yesterday on an indoor tracka tht e rec center(longest run for me) in about an 8 min mile pace.  Then in the afternoon got a massage (deep tissue) the therapist really works me over. 

Today I slept in also and went for a bike ride as I am not the smart I decided to do a long loop for a noob with a bunch of hills (Colorado has hills who knew).  Loop was about 46.6 miles and did a flat out and back NE out of town to round it out to 50 miles.

Hmm such an international group maybe I should have put the distances in km 16km run and 80ish km bike ride...I think thats right.

Oh last big days before my event so will be doing the short taper this week and The Atomic Man on 4/26.

Haha. I've just accepted that I have to convert miles to km...I have a friend up here who quotes things in miles and she's my age...I make fun of her and tell her she must not have been born, gone to school, etc in Canada...but she will still tell people the half marathon we are doing is 13.1 miles instead of 21.3km...haha

Great job on the run and bike! Sounds like you will be ready to go next week!
2010-04-17 9:05 PM

User image

New user

Room for one more newbie?
Hi my name is Jason I am a 29 year old firefighter set to do my first tri in Aug. I live in Washington state, have been into mountain and road biking for around 3 years, consider myself an average runner, and am new to swimming. I just completed a half marathon last week with a 1:43 finish which I was thrilled with! I guess I am looking for help with the logistics of racing a tri, swimming advise, and good people to help keep me motivated. So if you have room I would love to be a part of the group. Thanks!  

2010-04-17 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2798935

User image

Champion
[email protected] - 2010-04-17 8:05 PM Room for one more newbie?
Hi my name is Jason I am a 29 year old firefighter set to do my first tri in Aug. I live in Washington state, have been into mountain and road biking for around 3 years, consider myself an average runner, and am new to swimming. I just completed a half marathon last week with a 1:43 finish which I was thrilled with! I guess I am looking for help with the logistics of racing a tri, swimming advise, and good people to help keep me motivated. So if you have room I would love to be a part of the group. Thanks!  

Hey Jason! Welcome to the group and to BT I guess too! Congrats on the HM!

Any specific questions you have about tri and/or swimming?
2010-04-17 9:32 PM

User image

Champion
Hey Guys! So this looks like the group so far!

mndymond--Melissa--Canada
adbru—Adrian—Scotland
Triathlynne—Lynne—USA—formerly Scotland
antti_asu—Antti—Bahrain—formerly Finland
mademille--?—USA
Jonkj---Jon—USA
fee prince--?—Austrailia
[email protected]

2010-04-18 6:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN
great weather here - it is officially hailing!!! in bahrain!!! think of that!!! lol! or it was in the morning, with some thunder claps. i just came from 50' run. heavy wind, otherwise ok. welcome all to the group!
2010-04-18 8:58 AM

New user

Hi All, hope there is room for one LOCAL (Beaumont) absolute tri rookie.

NAME:
Zap / Kim Zap

STORY: I'm from Beaumont, AB which is about 10 km's from Edmonton.  I've been interested in tri's since high school when my best friend completed the Canadian IM, 20 years later, I have made a resolution to complete the Canadian IM before my 40th birthday, have just over 15 months to achieve this goal.  I had started training a couple years ago but my back was acting up worse than the constant pain I had had for several years previous.  Today, I am 8 weeks post back surgery, L5-S1 fusion and feel amazing.  Dr's has cleared my to start riding and swimming but no running til July.  Luckily running is my forte, biking is very good and swimming....what did I read earlier...drowning in a forward motion.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 6 years, two kids, (2 and 4)
CURRENT TRAINING: As mentioned above, I just got back onto my bike this past week, hoping to start riding to work on the University campus within the next several weeks (30km each way)  As for swimming, I think I will wait until my cardio get back up to a decent level.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: For my very first tri, I am going for the Banff Sprint in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since having back problems and reduced training, I have put on 15-20 lbs but am confident that will be shed quite quickly, was at 175 lbs in my running peak.

WHY I NEED A GOOD MENTOR: I am a complete tri rookie, I need all the help I can get and especially on the swimming side of things. 

Hope there is room for one more in this group and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers, Kim

Edited by Zap 2010-04-18 9:35 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Melindy's Mentor Group--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 9