BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-20 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

New user

Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - OPEN
If there's still room i'd like to join.

I'm Clayton. Just starting out doing with tri's. Main goal in this is weight loss but also it gives me a hobby. I'm 24 and married with 6 mo. twin boys. Between home obligations and work I don't have tons of free time but have been managing about 8 hrs a week. What really got me started in this was realizing that I was now +300 lbs! and I want to be able to run with my kids when they get older. For the past 3 mo. I have been doing the beginner exercise program I found here and have lost 20lbs. I am not currently signed up for a tri but am looking at a couple in September.

2010-04-20 10:51 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA

Hi Clayton.  Congrats on the 20 lbs lost!  Your reason for losing weight will be a great motivator.  Your twins will really enjoy the time you have to get out and run and play with them.  Best of luck and welcome to the world of Tri! 

2010-04-20 10:58 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Anthony,  I swam in the early 80s and was very surprised as I read more about the techniques used today.  They have changed!  The entry and the pull are very different.  Back then we were taught to enter with thumb first, then do an S pull to get your body to lift up and then make the pull.  After watching some videos I have changed my stroke and it does feel stronger now.  You described the pull as reaching up for something.  I also heard someone say that it is like reaching out to a large log and pulling your body over it. 

I am sure there are some strong swimmers in this group.  I will be happy to answer any specific questions.  I have found swimplan.com offers some great workouts.  Instead of just going to the pool and swimming the workouts with specific distances, drills and times really help keep me on track.
2010-04-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2803879

User image

Expert
cemarkham21 - 2010-04-20 10:19 AM If there's still room i'd like to join.

We still have room, so welcome!

I'm Clayton. Just starting out doing with tri's. Main goal in this is weight loss but also it gives me a hobby. I'm 24 and married with 6 mo. twin boys. Between home obligations and work I don't have tons of free time but have been managing about 8 hrs a week. What really got me started in this was realizing that I was now +300 lbs! and I want to be able to run with my kids when they get older. For the past 3 mo. I have been doing the beginner exercise program I found here and have lost 20lbs. I am not currently signed up for a tri but am looking at a couple in September.

First of all, congrats on the weight loss, and for 3 months excercising. They say getting past the first month is the hardest, so you are well on your way. Keep up the good work! If you would like, make your training log public and start logging so we can check in on you. If you would like to keep it private, you can make it only available to "friends", and then add us to your friends list.

Twin 6 month old boys! Very nice. Good to see another one in the group with little kids.

Anthony
2010-04-20 12:37 PM

User image

NH
I'd love to join.  This group looks a lot like me.  In the interest of full disclosure, I'm already in another group which I like, but you guys seemed a really good fit for me so I'd like to join this group too.  I'm extremely active and love to post a lot, so I'll have no problem keeping up!

Let me know if it's ok and I'll include my bio.
2010-04-20 1:20 PM

User image

Oklahoma
Subject: May I Join?
Hi!  I would like to join the group!  Is there still room?

Name: Priscilla

Story: Not very athletic as a kid, but discovered cycling in teen years and even did a couple centuries.  Forgot about serious road cycling, but did bike commuting for many years.  Took up running at 25 and did a marathon 10 years later.  Got myself a fancy road bike last summer and rediscovered the joys long rides.  Took master swim classes last summer and finally learned to swim properly!  Did my first sprint tri in Sept which was held 1.5 mi from my house. 

Family: 36, with husband and 6 year-old daughter

Current training: Have an open water (!) Oly planned for June 6 - Rt 66 in El Reno, OK.

Last few races: Half Marathon March '10; Sprint tri Sept '09; some 5 and 10ks

Looking for in a mentor/training group:  Encouragement (my husband is supportive, but doesn't understand why I subject myself to this ); tips on fitting training into busy schedule (mom, work full time, travel for work, etc...); group to commiserate with (I don't have lots of athletic friends - so it would be nice to chat with others doing the same activities);  share ideas

2010-04-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2804574

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-20 1:37 PM I'd love to join.  This group looks a lot like me.  In the interest of full disclosure, I'm already in another group which I like, but you guys seemed a really good fit for me so I'd like to join this group too.  I'm extremely active and love to post a lot, so I'll have no problem keeping up!

Let me know if it's ok and I'll include my bio.

Sure you can join, but does your other group know that you are seeing another group?

I'm happy to have you in our little group.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-04-20 1:53 PM
2010-04-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2804766

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: May I Join?
OkiePrill - 2010-04-20 2:20 PM Hi!  I would like to join the group!  Is there still room?

Sure thing, Priscilla, so welcome aboard. I think I will have to close the group now, though.

Name: Priscilla

Story: Not very athletic as a kid, but discovered cycling in teen years and even did a couple centuries.  Forgot about serious road cycling, but did bike commuting for many years.  Took up running at 25 and did a marathon 10 years later.  Got myself a fancy road bike last summer and rediscovered the joys long rides.  Took master swim classes last summer and finally learned to swim properly!  Did my first sprint tri in Sept which was held 1.5 mi from my house. 

Family: 36, with husband and 6 year-old daughter

Current training: Have an open water (!) Oly planned for June 6 - Rt 66 in El Reno, OK.

Last few races: Half Marathon March '10; Sprint tri Sept '09; some 5 and 10ks

Looking for in a mentor/training group:  Encouragement (my husband is supportive, but doesn't understand why I subject myself to this ); tips on fitting training into busy schedule (mom, work full time, travel for work, etc...); group to commiserate with (I don't have lots of athletic friends - so it would be nice to chat with others doing the same activities);  share ideas

That's some good stuff there; you have been very active! Your husband sounds like my wife

Anthony
2010-04-20 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
OK folks, looks like we are full now. I am definitely fired up.

I have a busy afternoon at work, and we are going out to dinner tonight to celebrate a good reprt card, so I won't be able to check in until later.

Have a good day!

Anthony
2010-04-20 2:40 PM

User image

NH
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL

I'll use the original format from the winter group so I can steal most of my text!

NAME: wbayek (Warren)

STORY: 48 yo male who was an overweight ex-athlete (not endurance sports) coach potato.  2 years ago I woke up 35 pounds overweight with striking heart disease risks factors.  Used south beach and P90x+ to lose most of the excess weight and build some lean muscle back, though I am doing neither right now.  Started playing hockey again and biking as a hobby.  Last summer, while rehabbing some tendinitis, my PT started talking about triathlons and IMLP.  One afternoon late summer I sat on the dock at the lake and decided I would try a sprint.  I jumped in the lake and almost drowned after 25 yards, and decided not to do the sprint.  The next weekend I decided it was time to HTFU and learn to swim, and I completed my first (and only) sprint  this past Sept.  Have since run and bonked in a half marathon, so I have some failure stories/experience to share!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 15 years to a wonderful woman and we have three boys 13, 11, 8.  My 13 year old is doing a sprint with me this summer, or at least the kids version

CURRENT TRAINING: Spent the winter trying to become a runner as I had never run before.  I'm just now getting back to any real biking and swimming. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate kettlebells back into my routine since I really miss doing them.  Like most on here, I'm seriously time stressed and over committed so my training needs to be minimal for my goals.

2009 RACES: I completed the Mainiac sprint tri in Sept.

2010 RACES: Completed the Great Bay half marathon.  On my schedule I have a few sprints, an Oly-ish (odd distances), and my A race is the Pumpkinman HIM in Sept.

WEIGHT LOSS: 215 two years ago, and down to 175-180 now.  This is probably a good weight for me, as it's easy to maintain.  Losing more isn't really a target anymore, but it would be nice to lose those last 10.  I just don't have the desire/discipline to do it!

2010-04-20 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2803779

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
SWIMMING TECHNIQUE TIPS:  I swam through high school and here are a couple things I've noticed that may help out.  #1 You guys are right on target on the armstroke.  It should feel long and fluid.  A tendency that many swimmers have is to shorten their stroke and at the same time drop their elbow.  I call it the washing machine stroke.  It looks real choppy, splashy, and causes you to have lots of turnover with a lot of effort and little result.  It's tough to correct two things at the same time, but these two tend to go hand in hand.  You've gotta reach all the way....almost feels like a full stretch, but DON'T drop your elbow.  The elbow should stay above the plain of the wrist throughout the entire stroke.  Why do we tend to drop our elbow?  Because we're tired and it's easy to cheat, there's less resistance.  Keeping your elbow bent keeps your forearm pushing the most surface area of water.  Slow down and try to get it right.  The speed and fluidity will be automatic.  #2  How do we keep our chest level with the plain of the water and keep our legs from sinking, causing drag? Well, you've got to keep a steady kick going.  There are typically 2, 4, and 6 beat kick tendencies.  6 beat kickers are rare, and very fast.  If you can work on a steady 2 or 4 beat kick while you work on your stroke you'll be on your way.  Problems start happening when we get tired and quit on our legs, trying to go too far too fast with just our arms.  You've got to keep the kick going, not too hard, but steady. Think, steady, fluid and enjoy the water!  I hope this helps a little.  I'd be happy to answer any question, just remember it's only opinion.  I'm not a coach.  I've only helped locals.  Drop a video of yourself swimming on youtube and I'll take a look at it.

Dan

Edited by DannyK 2010-04-20 5:04 PM

2010-04-20 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2805478

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Welcome Warren, Clayton, and Priscilla, happy training!

Dan

Edited by DannyK 2010-04-20 5:09 PM
2010-04-20 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Dan,

Thanks for the swimming tips. I will try your suggestions.  I have another question for you. 

How do you keep track of your laps?  I attempted to do work on that this morning but became more focused on my technique and trying to develope a rhythm.  I took a tri-swimming class in Jan.  It was more technique for beginners, which I needed.  I have been working on that as well as distance.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Scott
2010-04-20 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2805716

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hi Scott:

I found a neat trick to keep on track while wet.  I write down what I want to swim with ink on the palm of my hand.  It won't wash over for at least an hour but does get fainter as time goes on.  I thought about laminating some swim training workouts but that was too limited.  The only problem with this is that you can't change your plan. Once it's written down, you're stuck with it (for those of us nut cases who keep track of yards, times, etc....).  Happy training,

Dan
2010-04-20 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2805073

User image

Expert
Hey Warren, welcome again!

So you are a hockey player? I played hockey in high school, and also on a club team in graduate school, and I have the scar above my eye to prove it

I see you are doing the Timberman Sprint. I did the half in '07 and '08, and it is a really nice race. It may be the half I pick for this year since it's in such a nice location for a trip.

You really did some solid run training over the winter; great job!

Anthony
2010-04-20 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2805478

User image

Expert
Those are some good swim tips DannyK. The part I bolded really stuck out to me. There is a saying I like about swimming:

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

Choppy and splashy is slow and wastes your energy. I also have to admit that my kick is awful and that's why my hips tend to sink. Luckily, all the races I have done are wetsuit legal and that buoyancy from the wetsuit really helps me out. It almost feels like swimming downhill.

DannyK - 2010-04-20 6:02 PM SWIMMING TECHNIQUE TIPS:  I swam through high school and here are a couple things I've noticed that may help out.  #1 You guys are right on target on the armstroke.  It should feel long and fluid.  A tendency that many swimmers have is to shorten their stroke and at the same time drop their elbow.  I call it the washing machine stroke.  It looks real choppy, splashy, and causes you to have lots of turnover with a lot of effort and little result.  It's tough to correct two things at the same time, but these two tend to go hand in hand.  You've gotta reach all the way....almost feels like a full stretch, but DON'T drop your elbow.  The elbow should stay above the plain of the wrist throughout the entire stroke.  Why do we tend to drop our elbow?  Because we're tired and it's easy to cheat, there's less resistance.  Keeping your elbow bent keeps your forearm pushing the most surface area of water.  Slow down and try to get it right.  The speed and fluidity will be automatic.  #2  How do we keep our chest level with the plain of the water and keep our legs from sinking, causing drag? Well, you've got to keep a steady kick going.  There are typically 2, 4, and 6 beat kick tendencies.  6 beat kickers are rare, and very fast.  If you can work on a steady 2 or 4 beat kick while you work on your stroke you'll be on your way.  Problems start happening when we get tired and quit on our legs, trying to go too far too fast with just our arms.  You've got to keep the kick going, not too hard, but steady. Think, steady, fluid and enjoy the water!  I hope this helps a little.  I'd be happy to answer any question, just remember it's only opinion.  I'm not a coach.  I've only helped locals.  Drop a video of yourself swimming on youtube and I'll take a look at it.

Dan

2010-04-20 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-04-20 8:39 PM Dan,

Thanks for the swimming tips. I will try your suggestions.  I have another question for you. 

How do you keep track of your laps?  I attempted to do work on that this morning but became more focused on my technique and trying to develope a rhythm.  I took a tri-swimming class in Jan.  It was more technique for beginners, which I needed.  I have been working on that as well as distance.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Scott

For sets of 100 or 200 I count in my head, but for keeping track of tota laps in a session I use one of these:

Just a simple counter you can press with your thumb after each lap. Called the Sportcount lap counter. I got mine at swimoutlet.com.

Anthony
2010-04-21 7:10 AM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
scott1223 - 2010-04-20 8:39 PM Dan,

Thanks,
Scott

Scott,  I swim in a 25 yd pool and I tend to lose count of laps on anything over 500 yds.  Other than knowing your time per 100 yds and checking the time as you swim I am not sure of any good way to count the laps.  I do print out my swim workouts and put them in a ziplock back and have it on the edge of the pool to refer to.  It helps me keep up with the distance. 
2010-04-21 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2806063

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Hey, lookey at the cool gadget!  I love technology....we have everything...great pics too. Thanks Anthony!
2010-04-21 8:31 AM

User image

Oklahoma
I use the lap function on my sport watch to keep track of 100s.  Our pool is 25m and I do 4 lengths then hit the lap button to record that 100.  Although a bit fiddly if you are trying to swim fast, this is the best method I have found for me.
2010-04-21 12:11 PM

User image

NH
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who loses track of laps.  I'm so incapable I even lose track doing 100s!  Though I can use the elapsed time to figure that distance out.  Love that gadget though, I think I may grab one.

I did a 5k TT today to see where I'm at - 23:18.  I started out way too fast and petered out, but it's a benchmark.

2010-04-21 1:19 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Rode with a group last night for my longest bike ride yet.  It was only 25.3 miles but was double my previous long distance.  Several hills that really kicked my tail.  Was out of the saddle and standing on the pedals to try and keep moving.  I was determined not to have to stop and walk up this one particularly long hill.  Now I know I can ride that distance I just have to build up better endurance and get some speed.  Only 10 days till my first super sprint tri!
2010-04-21 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2806388

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-04-21 8:30 AM Hey, lookey at the cool gadget!  I love technology....we have everything...great pics too. Thanks Anthony!

Yes, we triathletes do love our gadgets. My oldest son is starting to run, so I will give him my Garmin 305, bit that was just an excuse for me to get a 310xt for myself. That's one of the great things about our sport; you can be a gadget geek AND an athlete at the same time

Anthony
2010-04-21 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2806544

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-04-21 9:31 AM I use the lap function on my sport watch to keep track of 100s.  Our pool is 25m and I do 4 lengths then hit the lap button to record that 100.  Although a bit fiddly if you are trying to swim fast, this is the best method I have found for me.

Yep, that's a good way to keep track. There have been quite a few threads over on tri talk about lap counting, and lots of people use the lap function on their sports watch

Anthony
2010-04-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2807574

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-21 2:19 PM Rode with a group last night for my longest bike ride yet.  It was only 25.3 miles but was double my previous long distance.  Several hills that really kicked my tail.  Was out of the saddle and standing on the pedals to try and keep moving.  I was determined not to have to stop and walk up this one particularly long hill.  Now I know I can ride that distance I just have to build up better endurance and get some speed.  Only 10 days till my first super sprint tri!

Woo-Hoo!! Congrats on your longest ride ever! Getting your tail kicked by hills is good for you. Not only will it make you better at climbing, but it will make you faster on the flats. I think your part of Georgia is similar to where I am in NY, where you are always going up or down, with nothing really flat. Only 10 days: I can't wait!

Anthony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24