BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-04-19 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2780242

Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - OPEN
Hi, my name is Kathy. My screen name is Kathy79.  I would love to be in your group.  I am 31 years old, married, work full time, and I am working on my MBA part time.  I am a total newbie at everything.  I decided one day that I was tired of cheering on my hubby at his bike races (he is a roadie) and I needed to get off the couch and do something.  One of my friends is a triathlete and loves it so after watching one, I decided to do one. 

I have been training since November on my own but I am losing motivation.  It seems like I am not getting anywhere.  I printed off a running program (haven't used it yet), I am taking private swimming lessons at the Y, but I am semi comfortable on the bike. 

The race I would like to do is a Sprint distance in July and it is hosted by the YMCA. My goal is just to finish and feel good about myself. 

Kathy

2010-04-19 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2802860

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

kathy79 - 2010-04-19 5:32 PM Hi, my name is Kathy. My screen name is Kathy79.  I would love to be in your group.  I am 31 years old, married, work full time, and I am working on my MBA part time.  I am a total newbie at everything.  I decided one day that I was tired of cheering on my hubby at his bike races (he is a roadie) and I needed to get off the couch and do something.  One of my friends is a triathlete and loves it so after watching one, I decided to do one. 

I have been training since November on my own but I am losing motivation.  It seems like I am not getting anywhere.  I printed off a running program (haven't used it yet), I am taking private swimming lessons at the Y, but I am semi comfortable on the bike. 

The race I would like to do is a Sprint distance in July and it is hosted by the YMCA. My goal is just to finish and feel good about myself. 

Kathy

Welcome, Kathy!  WHEN you finish your sprint in July, you WILL feel good about yourself!  You're off to a great start, and if you feel like your motivation is waning, being part of this group will help you.  It sounds like you have made some progress on your biking and swimming, but you're a little hesitant about the running so far.  July should be plenty of time to work up to a three mile run. 

To get started, add the other members of our group to your friends list on your training log (there are instructions above).  If you haven't already, start logging your workouts on BT.  Seeing your progress and having people check in is a great motivator.   I hope I'll see a run logged soon!    Welcome to the group!!

2010-04-19 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2802847

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
BHannahs - 2010-04-19 7:26 PM

Someone asked the pertinent question regarding how to add people to your friends list.  Here are instructions.  I hope that you'll all add each other to your list...

From your training log page, click on settings at the top.  Click the tab for training log customization.  You will then see a friends tab.  When you click on it, you'll open a list.  You can enter the screen names in the blanks.  Then you click on update friends at the bottom and they will appear on your training log.  Let me know if you have any trouble.  Thanks!

That would be me.  Thank you for posting.  I have everyone setup in their now and will add as long as you continue to accept.  Maybe you could put all of the names accepted in the first post, rather than having multiple posts?

Thanks again.
2010-04-19 8:54 PM

Irvine, CA
Hi!! I'm Jenn! I'd love to join your mentor group if you still have space available! I am a newbie to the sport of triathlon. I was signed up to do Big Rock Olympic tri this past Saturday, but I crashed my bike a few weeks ago and landed right on my knee which has kept me from being able to run until just a few days ago. So, I had to sit out of my race, which was a huge bummer. I'm looking forward to getting back into training again, now that I am able to log some miles running again. I've got a list of about 10 races that I'm hoping to compete in this year including a 10K, 2 sprints, 4 Olympics, 2 half marathons and Muddy Buddy! I'm not sure that I can afford to do all these races, crossing my fingers!!!! 

I am a single mom of 2 young girls. I live in Southern California and try to do 2 workouts of each running, cycling, and swimming, with a brick on the weekend; as well as strength training, yoga, pilates and my newest obsession...Zumba! 

I hope I'm able to join you!! 
2010-04-20 1:54 AM

User image

New user

Virginia Beach

Hi Brian,
My name is Jason (screen name jason.baross), I know not to original, but I remember it for logging in/out. Anyways, my very first sprint tri is May 1st at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. I am really looking forward to it and have 3 other sprint tri's on the calender for this year. My ultimate goal is to do a HIM next year in Syracuse. I have a pretty flexable schedule and have a pretty good routine set up. I'll post that later, just wanted to get on the list before it filled up.

Thank you in advance,
Jason

2010-04-20 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2803064

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

jenndslp - 2010-04-19 6:54 PM Hi!! I'm Jenn! I'd love to join your mentor group if you still have space available! I am a newbie to the sport of triathlon. I was signed up to do Big Rock Olympic tri this past Saturday, but I crashed my bike a few weeks ago and landed right on my knee which has kept me from being able to run until just a few days ago. So, I had to sit out of my race, which was a huge bummer. I'm looking forward to getting back into training again, now that I am able to log some miles running again. I've got a list of about 10 races that I'm hoping to compete in this year including a 10K, 2 sprints, 4 Olympics, 2 half marathons and Muddy Buddy! I'm not sure that I can afford to do all these races, crossing my fingers!!!! 

I am a single mom of 2 young girls. I live in Southern California and try to do 2 workouts of each running, cycling, and swimming, with a brick on the weekend; as well as strength training, yoga, pilates and my newest obsession...Zumba! 

I hope I'm able to join you!! 

Hi, Jenn.  We still have room, so welcome to the group!  So sorry to hear about your crash and having to drop out of your race.  Your luck will be better next time.  The good news is that you have a lot of races that you want to do, so the disappointment of missing your Olympic won't linger.  Your schedule of two swims, bikes, and runs per week along with some cross training is strong.  We'll help you to get back in the swing of things and meet your goals.  Welcome to the group!

2010-04-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2803342

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

jason.baross - 2010-04-19 11:54 PM

Hi Brian,
My name is Jason (screen name jason.baross), I know not to original, but I remember it for logging in/out. Anyways, my very first sprint tri is May 1st at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. I am really looking forward to it and have 3 other sprint tri's on the calender for this year. My ultimate goal is to do a HIM next year in Syracuse. I have a pretty flexable schedule and have a pretty good routine set up. I'll post that later, just wanted to get on the list before it filled up.

Thank you in advance,
Jason

Hi, Jason.  Welcome to the group!  We're glad to have you aboard.  Your first sprint is in a wek and a half - how exciting.  We're looking forward to hearing how it goes.  Any questions you have as you do your final preparations?  Let me know.  Once again - welcome!!

2010-04-20 11:49 AM

New user

Tampa
Hi Brian!

i would like to join your group. My name is Tara and I have been training for my first tri for about 2 months now. I am pretty much a beginner in all three areas but I have a lot of heart and determination! I will do this!! LOL I am 25 and train pretty much everyday with focus on running and swimming (including private swim lessons). My first tri is scheduled for May 15 and it is a sprint race. I am very nervous and would love some advice and encouragement!! I have also been following one of the structured couch-to-sprint programs from the beginning but the past week or so I have been straying away and just training on my own. I feel that the program might not be suited for me anymore, because I train far more than the program recommends.
2010-04-20 11:58 AM

New user

Tampa
I should also probably state that I have joined a triathlon group at my University but they are a little out of my league at the moment. Hard to keep up with them! I also have invested a lot of time in reading forums, articles, and traithlon specific books.

My goals are to lose weight, improve fitness, meet great people and cross the finish line with myself as my competition =)

I hope I can join your group! And I look forward to talking with you and the rest of the group!
2010-04-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2804422

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

trodrig23 - 2010-04-20 9:49 AM Hi Brian!

i would like to join your group. My name is Tara and I have been training for my first tri for about 2 months now. I am pretty much a beginner in all three areas but I have a lot of heart and determination! I will do this!! LOL I am 25 and train pretty much everyday with focus on running and swimming (including private swim lessons). My first tri is scheduled for May 15 and it is a sprint race. I am very nervous and would love some advice and encouragement!! I have also been following one of the structured couch-to-sprint programs from the beginning but the past week or so I have been straying away and just training on my own. I feel that the program might not be suited for me anymore, because I train far more than the program recommends.

Hi, Tara, and welcome to the group!!  It sounds like you are off to a great start.  It's always a good sign when you feel that your structured plan is too light.  Don't worry about being nervous for your first race - it's perfectly normal.  Feel free to ask any questions that you have.  It looks like you have the training taken care of, and that is the most difficult part.  Just go into it with the goal of finishing with a smile on your face and you'll be fine.  Welcome aboard!! 

2010-04-20 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Hi everyone,

My name is Adam my screen name is acv. I live in New York on Long Island and I’m married w/ 3 kids 7,5 & 1 ½. I did my first sprint tri last year and want to do it again.

I’m working on a program that I used last year with some modifications. This is my schedule right now: (I’ll be adding in some swimming when the water gets warmer – no access to an indoor pool right now)

Mon: off

Tues: Bike

Wed: Run

Thur: Bike

Fri: off

Sat: Bike

Sun: Bike/Run

I’m trying to work on building up my endurance again but also trying to maintain consistent speed through the work out to meet the goals I’ve set for myself. It’s tough for me to get in the training time. This morning the baby woke up at 6am and so I had him out in the jogging stroller. I do all my training in the morning before work.

I would like to do a minimum of 2 races this year. I have committed to one on July 11th it’s a sprint (500 meter swim / 8 mile bike / 3.5 mile run). There is also another race I would like to enter and that one is in early Oct and it’s also a sprint. I may consider another race in June but I’m not sure at this point. In the race last year I placed 380 out of 420 competitors. I did very well in the swim and run but got creamed on the bike leg, guess my old heavy duty Cannondale mountain bike with knobby tires wasn’t the best choice for the race. I replaced the bike this year with a decent road bike and I just finished tweaking the setup last night I hope to give it a full test ride tomorrow morning.

What I really need is someone to push me along a little (self motivation only goes so far) and someone that can answer those stupid what should do next question that you only learn with experience.

Thanks,

Adam

PS I need to update my training log.

Edited by acv 2010-04-20 12:24 PM

2010-04-20 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2804522

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-20 10:23 AM

Hi everyone,

My name is Adam my screen name is acv. I live in New York on Long Island and I’m married w/ 3 kids 7,5 & 1 ½. I did my first sprint tri last year and want to do it again.

I’m working on a program that I used last year with some modifications. This is my schedule right now: (I’ll be adding in some swimming when the water gets warmer – no access to an indoor pool right now)

Mon: off

Tues: Bike

Wed: Run

Thur: Bike

Fri: off

Sat: Bike

Sun: Bike/Run

I’m trying to work on building up my endurance again but also trying to maintain consistent speed through the work out to meet the goals I’ve set for myself. It’s tough for me to get in the training time. This morning the baby woke up at 6am and so I had him out in the jogging stroller. I do all my training in the morning before work.

I would like to do a minimum of 2 races this year. I have committed to one on July 11th it’s a sprint (500 meter swim / 8 mile bike / 3.5 mile run). There is also another race I would like to enter and that one is in early Oct and it’s also a sprint. I may consider another race in June but I’m not sure at this point. In the race last year I placed 380 out of 420 competitors. I did very well in the swim and run but got creamed on the bike leg, guess my old heavy duty Cannondale mountain bike with knobby tires wasn’t the best choice for the race. I replaced the bike this year with a decent road bike and I just finished tweaking the setup last night I hope to give it a full test ride tomorrow morning.

What I really need is someone to push me along a little (self motivation only goes so far) and someone that can answer those stupid what should do next question that you only learn with experience.

Thanks,

Adam

PS I need to update my training log.

Hi, Adam, and welcome to the group!  Congratulations on doing your first sprint and getting ready to do it again.  You'll be very pleasantly surprised what a big difference being on a road bike will make for you this year.  Pushing the jogging stroller in training will also pay huge dividends for your power on the run.  You'll get to the race feeling light and quick.  Finding time to train can be challenging, but there are ways to make it work - it sounds like you're doing well with this so far.  If an occasional workout gets cancelled because of work or family commitments, it isn't the end of the world.  We're in this for fun and fitness, and not a paycheck, so it's important to keep it in perspective.  Being a part of teh group will help to motivate you.  Get your training log uip to date, and I will be posting our entire group roster soon so we can all add one another to our friends lists.  Welcome to the group!!! 

2010-04-20 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!

Okay, everyone!  We have a full group.  I have copied the instructions for adding people to your friends lists below.  I encourage everyone to add the other members of our group to your friends list, as well as log your training on the training log.  It will make it more effective for all of us to give one another encouragement and feedback.  I noticed a couple of you have your training logs set to private.  If you don't want to open up your log to all of BT, I would at least recommend setting it to 'friends only' private.  That way, at least the people who you add to your friends list will be able to view and respond to your logs.  Let me know if you have any questions.

From your training log page, click on settings at the top.  Click the tab for training log customization.  You will then see a friends tab.  When you click on it, you'll open a list.  You can enter the screen names in the blanks.  Then you click on update friends at the bottom and they will appear on your training log.  Let me know if you have any trouble.  Thanks!

bhannahs
utahrunner
flip18436572
dmwill37
Jax32709
poolgirl1963
daisyzmom
fernando73
kathy79
jenndslp
jason.baross
trodrig23
acv 

trigertas

Edited by BHannahs 2010-04-20 12:53 PM
2010-04-20 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
Is there room for at least one more?

I've got my first sprint under my belt (4/18/2010).  Have another on 6/27 and a Olympic length on 9/4.  Also have a 1/2 mary a week after the Olympic length (9/12).

I'm 36, a husband and dad to my 9 month old son.  My #1 goal is to finish all my races strongly.  I felt great after my sprint, so I think that the Olympic length and 1/2 mary are totally in reach.  As for them being only 1 week apart, I figured that I would be at my peak in that time frame, so might as well try to get them both done.  Or it could be a really bad decision.  Tune in later for a recap!!!

My #1 concerns is my haphazard training schedule.   This is my #1 reason to want to join a mentor group - to make sure I am spending time equally on all three sports and to make sure I don't lapse.
2010-04-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2804623

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

trigertas - 2010-04-20 10:47 AM Is there room for at least one more?

I've got my first sprint under my belt (4/18/2010).  Have another on 6/27 and a Olympic length on 9/4.  Also have a 1/2 mary a week after the Olympic length (9/12).

I'm 36, a husband and dad to my 9 month old son.  My #1 goal is to finish all my races strongly.  I felt great after my sprint, so I think that the Olympic length and 1/2 mary are totally in reach.  As for them being only 1 week apart, I figured that I would be at my peak in that time frame, so might as well try to get them both done.  Or it could be a really bad decision.  Tune in later for a recap!!!

My #1 concerns is my haphazard training schedule.   This is my #1 reason to want to join a mentor group - to make sure I am spending time equally on all three sports and to make sure I don't lapse.

Welcome!  You have been officially added!  Congratulations on completing your first sprint last weekend, and moving forward to take on some new challenges.  Now that you are in the group, follow the instructions in the post above and add the other group members to your friends list.  We'll all be checking in on each other to give encouragement and feedback.  I find the training logs and friends list to be a great motivator.  I feel compelled to get my workouts in when I know my friends are watching - welcome to the group! 

2010-04-20 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
I also wanted to add in my original post that I have lost quite a bit of weight since starting to race. Last year I was 225 when I signed up for the race and race day I was 205. Right now I'm at 187 and still looking to shed a few more pounds.

Adam

2010-04-20 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2804842

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-20 11:36 AM I also wanted to add in my original post that I have lost quite a bit of weight since starting to race. Last year I was 225 when I signed up for the race and race day I was 205. Right now I'm at 187 and still looking to shed a few more pounds.

Adam

Wow - that's awesome, Adam.  Congratulations!  How did you/are you doing it?  Was it the increased exercise, a nutrition overhaul, a combination of the two?  I think that everyone would like to hear what is working for you.

2010-04-20 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2804930

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-04-20 2:58 PM

acv - 2010-04-20 11:36 AM I also wanted to add in my original post that I have lost quite a bit of weight since starting to race. Last year I was 225 when I signed up for the race and race day I was 205. Right now I'm at 187 and still looking to shed a few more pounds.

Adam

Wow - that's awesome, Adam.  Congratulations!  How did you/are you doing it?  Was it the increased exercise, a nutrition overhaul, a combination of the two?  I think that everyone would like to hear what is working for you.

All of the above! I stopped eating processed sugar (cookies, snacks, ice cream) it’s pretty tough around desert time at our house. I mostly eat an organic granola bar while everyone else has there cookies.

I’ve been more conscience about my food intake and trying to exercise. Although over the winter I was very sporadic with exercising. This is why I like to have a race because it’s a goal for me to do the race and keeps me motivated to train.

2010-04-20 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

So ah I guess this is as good as any time to start asking questions?

Last year I felt endurance was the key to the race I didn’t so much worry about speed but wanted to make sure I could finish. Well I guess I still want to make sure I will finish but I also want to be more competitive.

This year I’ve set out on a similar schedule but I’m trying to be very specific with my speed and time. The run is an area that I really want to improve. My goal come race time is to do a 9 min mile. We are only talking a sprint race 3.5miles.

What I’m doing and tell me if this makes sense is to run 9 minute miles and build on it. Right now I’ve only been at it a couple weeks and this morning I just added a ¼ mile to my run while maintaining that pace. I’ve only been running about 2 miles each time. Compared to some of you its kind of weak but for me it’s a decent work out and not an easy 2 miles for me mind you.

I do plan to start running at least once a week at a slower pace to build up my endurance, but my goal is to race at a 9 minute mile.

The question is does this make sense to keep working at adding the miles doing the 9 min pace twice a week and doing at least one run for distance/endurance? I am following a schedule and I'm on target with what I did last year only I'm faster.

Adam

2010-04-20 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Great information on your nutrition, Adam.  Thanks!

As for your questions regarding running...

I think that keeping one long run per week at a comfortable pace is good for endurance building.  Since you are trying to increase your speed at shorter distances, there are a couple of things that you can try for your shorter sessions, and you have touched on them.  (Keep in mind that your long run shouldn't increase by more than 10% each week, and I recommend the strategies below because you have been running for a while and have a base beneath you).

One of your runs each week can be a tempo run.  In this session, try to maintain your race pace throughout.  You should be working hard, but not going all out.  You'll be getting your body used to getting up to and maintaining the pace that you are targeting.

Also, you can try to incorporate some strides into your shorter sessions.  Most of the session should be at an easy to moderate pace.  Occasionally, run at a hard pace for 30-60 seconds.  Allow your HR to come back down in between each of the harder efforts. 

As you try to incorporate these into your training, pay close attention to your body.  If you feel like you are overworking (HR too high, getting aches and pains), back off a little.  More important than building speed is avoiding injury.  Your training won't go anywhere if you are hurt and can't train, so be careful. 

2010-04-21 5:30 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
I think I have everyone added as a friend.  Now to make sure I fill out my training information and check on others here.  Short swim last night and it was my first swim in 6 weeks because of my work schedule.  A little over a half mile and it took about 30 minutes.  Dang, I am slow.

Off to work!!!

Everyone have a great workout today!!!  Unless, of course, it is your rest day.

2010-04-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2806255

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

flip18436572 - 2010-04-21 3:30 AM I think I have everyone added as a friend.  Now to make sure I fill out my training information and check on others here.  Short swim last night and it was my first swim in 6 weeks because of my work schedule.  A little over a half mile and it took about 30 minutes.  Dang, I am slow.

Off to work!!!

Everyone have a great workout today!!!  Unless, of course, it is your rest day.

Way to get back in the pool!  Take it slow, work on your stroke technique, and the speed will come around - good job!!

2010-04-21 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Manged to get a bike ride in today. It was colder than I expected mid 30's by the end of my ride my hands were freezing and a little numb (forgot my gloves). But I manged to shave 5 minutes off my top speed from last year on the 8 mile loop which is the same course for my race in July. If I can shave 5 more mintues off I'll be at my goal for the race.

Bike question: In low gear my chain slips - everything is new so it's not worn. I'm thinking the cable may have stetched a bit and I need to adjust the rear derailleur - any thougths?

Edited by acv 2010-04-21 11:34 AM
2010-04-21 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2807129

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-04-21 9:11 AM

Manged to get a bike ride in today. It was colder than I expected mid 30's by the end of my ride my hands were freezing and a little numb (forgot my gloves). But I manged to shave 5 minutes off my top speed from last year on the 8 mile loop which is the same course for my race in July. If I can shave 5 more mintues off I'll be at my goal for the race.

Bike question: In low gear my chain slips - everything is new so it's not worn. I'm thinking the cable may have stetched a bit and I need to adjust the rear derailleur - any thougths?

Wow - I wouldn't survive in those temperatures!  (I'm a desert dweller  )  Way to brave the elements. 

It's typical to have some cable stretching with new drivetrain components.  Ususally, the store where you purchased it will do an adjustment for no charge.  Of course, if you are comfortable doing the adjustment yourself, that should take care of the slipping... 

2010-04-21 9:06 PM

Irvine, CA
OMG! I was complaining because it was in the upper 50's today!! I haven't logged any workouts yet today, I spent more than half the day at the DMV, fun times...but I'm off to the gym to jump in the pool followed by some treadmill time and free weights! I am pretty sure I got everyone added as a friend! Woo Hoo! I'm excited to be a part of this group!

Edited by jenndslp 2010-04-21 9:07 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21