of 76

2010-12-23 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3259512

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Open
Hi Steph.

Welcome aboard - this is going to be fun.

Kevin

2010-12-23 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3259574

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good afternoon IcemanScott.

I am looking foward to learning from you.

Kevin
2010-12-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3259047

User image

Expert
Keith  - Like Dave said thanks for your service while in the Marine Corp.  That is a great PR on the 1/2 mary.  Did you have Sponge Bob running through your headphones during that race?

Totally agree with the sport of triathlon mixing everything up.  I really think it also help prevent injuries and make syou a stronger runner.  I was constantly getting beat up whe I just ran.

I tried opening up your log but I think you have it set to private.

kdevarenne - 2010-12-23 9:54 AM My name is Keith and I'd like to join the group. 

I live in New England and have been married for 9 years.  We have two great boys (7 and 3).  I work from 4-12 so I can watch them in the morning, and then go to work when my wife comes home. 

I've been running for about 5 years now.  I was never very athlethic in high school and swore I'd never run again aftger I left the Marine Corps in 1999.  I put on alot of weight afterwards like alot of people do.  One day I noticed I was breathing pretty heavy walking up a set of stairs and told my self enough is enough.  So I started running.  I've ran a bunch of 5k and 10ks.  Last year I ran 2 half marathons.  My personal best is 1:48.  Not to bad for a guy who weighs 210.  Last year I decided I wanted to do something new, so I picked triathlons.

I'm lucky enough that I have a treadmill and resistance trainer fo my bicycle at home, so while the little guy watches Spongebob I can bike or run depending on the day.  He goes to pre-school Thursday and Friday, so those are my swim days.  I hadn't really swam in years, so I had to get a swim coach.  She's showing me the way.

My race goals this year are two half marathons again and two olympic triathlons.  I really enjoy how tri training mixes everything up.  It's not just running anymore.  I love the challenge of the three sports. 
2010-12-23 2:46 PM

User image

Expert
Wow - very inspiring!! Nice to meet you and looking forward to a great season. 

IceManScott - 2010-12-23 2:38 PM Room for one?
  They call me the Iceman.  I was 400 pounds in 2005 at age 54.  Started riding a hybrid.  Lost weight, got a road bike, kept riding.  Beat cancer in 2006.     I rode 17 miles the morning of my surgery.
  Started doing the bike portion of tris for LinveSTRONG in 2007.  Liked the people.  Weight loss slowed as my body became more efficient at one sport.   Started running and took up swimming after a 40 year absence since high school.  Did my first sprint, oly and a hybrid distance longer than an oly in 2009.  Did a spring, oly and half IM in 2010.  Nursing an IT band toward the end of the year.  Just ramping up again now.
  I am a member of Vision Quest Coaching.  They are primarily bike oriented.  But my coach works all three sports into my routine. I get swimming help form the Masters.  Running help from the local run club.  Triathlon club has awesome people, too.
   I thrive on positive attitude.  Attitude is everything, according to Armstrong.  He is right.
   2011:  Ironman Wisconsin.  Why?  I want a tattoo.
   By the way, I am good about using the training log when I am in an active group...mine is far behind at the moment because the group stopped posting and I was hurt so I was only doing about 10 hours a week.   Starting to use it again today.  I also post to LiveSTRONG.com and Training Peaks.
2010-12-23 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Veteran
Thats what I think is so great about triathlons...so many different types of people and different types of goals.  I cant wait to follow everyone as they accomplish their goals.
2010-12-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3259542

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi David.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am sure I will be sharing more as we move into the early part of the New Year.

The back/neck injury kept me pretty inactive from mid August to mid November. That is a long time for someone like me to be away from physical activity. I only played 2 rounds of golf in 4 months. I am your pretty typical type A - sometimes in a bad way. The training for my simple Tri-a-Tri took me from a guy who loves to walk and play golf to biking, riding and doing open water swimming in Lake Erie at my sisters cottage (even though I had no idea what I was doing) and playing golf. I tried to do too much way to fast. My health care professionals are convinced it was probably a build up of rotational stress (high level competitive golf since I was 12) bad form on the bike and a swimming stroke that probably would look way better if I had a golf club in my hands when swimming. At least then it would look athletic, balanced and natural Laughing.

I am trying to learn an efficient stroke motion that will be less stressful on my neck and back and I am convinced I will!

As I have mentioned I do have some lingering effects which consist now of my left arm tricep/bicep aching. Swimming is not bothering it to much. I did get a CT scan after it happened and the damage is not severe. I have some small bone spurs apparantly. I am told I will recover but I have to really work on strength and when I get the occasional symptom (pain, numbness or pins and needles in the left arm) I have to really pay attention to the posture. God knows I don't want any more neck traction that is for sure.

That is why I have resigned myself to proper practice and training. I promise I will try to practice patience in the pursuit of my Tri goals.

So, with everyone's help - WELCOME ALL - I am sure we can all figure it out and be successful in our own goals.

What are the next steps in this process? I will start to look at the training plans on this site etc. and attempt to set some up real soon if that is what you suggest.

Well - there you go - more info. I am off to the tread mill for about 45 minutes, light weights, my physio-therapists neck and arm work and a nice stretch.

Should I be logging this kind of stuff?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kevin

Edited by kcgolf 2010-12-23 3:27 PM

2010-12-23 4:56 PM

User image

New user

Hii is it okay for me to join?

Name: Merrberruns (Mary C.)
Story: I graduated college in 2009, I'm an RN at Duke. I started running consistently in college (never a runner in my life, I swam and played volleyball and did ballet for 20 years) and completed my first half marathon in 2008 as a way to get into shape and lose weight. I've since gained a few pounds since living on my own, but I'm looking to get back into shape and try a tri! I started road biking last year with my BF who completed Syracuse 70.3 this fall as his first Triathlon (He's crazy) he's inspired me to push myself out of my comfort zone and try something different. (thus joining BT and training for a tri) I also write a blog (which I have not updated as I am trying to find myself without influence of other blogs but will start in the new year) at http://merrberruns.com

Family Status:
  My Boyfriend Brian (pinotriguy) and our two dogs Corbin (chocolate lab who is 1) and Tika (a siberian husky who is 3) plus a white cat named leo who is 1 and totally brings the x-factor to our life

Current Training:
I'm not really training for anything ATM. I ran Chicago marathon (!! my first) this fall. I'm starting a new job on a new floor in january so I'm kind of trying to work on strength and keeping my base and miles up before spring season starts.

2010 Races:
Country Music half mary, Chicago Marathon, and a couple of 5k's

Weightloss:
I have lost total of 40 pounds. at my lowest weight I was about 140. Since the middle of my senior year in '09 I have gained about 15-20lbs. I hope to become more consistant in training and re-evaluate my diet and find my good wholesome eats again. It doesnt help that my BF is about a buck-twenty soaking wet. I have to keep up with him!

What will Make me a Good Mentee:
  I have a willingness to learn and am like a sponge. I will take any constructive criticism, and advice to heart and follow through with anything that is thrown at me. I am competitive, and am up for making new friends and having camaraderie through the BT forums

Thanks for letting my join! I'm really excited to try something new!
2010-12-23 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3259754

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Marry.

Nice to have you with us.

Kevin
2010-12-23 6:29 PM

User image

springfield il
Hi David;
I would like to join your mentoring groupLaughing
Name:  My name is Mary/mfspears
Story:  After enduring an enormous amount of change in my life for 2010, I woke up a few weeks ago realizing that I would be turning 50 in 6mons and that I wanted to be in charge of the changes in my life. I spent my childhood, youth and young adult years as an athlete in one form or another. By my mid thirties life became about juggling career and family and in my forties I returned to school and graduated with honors in 2D Fine Arts. While it seemed that running a marathon was the thing to do, endurance running has always been difficult and I just couldn't get excited about something that sounded more like torture On the other hand I was a competitive swimmer in high school and I've never lost my love for it. And cycling is a love I share with my husband of 32. So I am both excited and nervous to do my first tri. I have been self training for a week; reading and studying everything I can get my hands on and this is my go to site!

Family Status:
I have been married for 32 years to my best friend Curtis. We have 4 grown children and one beautiful 4 yr old granddaughter who we left back in Idaho when we moved to Illinois this summer.

Current Training:
I am using training programs from this site but I'm still figuring out the best execution of the plans. For now I'm just trying to log the time and the distances so that I can build my base. I expect to fine tune as I go. I am trying to choose between the Galena sprint on 5/21 (my birthday) and the Carlye sprint on 5/22 the day after. This will be my first tri and my goal will be to finish. I haven't decide whether to to a second race but I am interested in having a race to can improve with. I am also planning a century ride with my husband on 9/11.

2010 Races:
  Spectator only

Weightloss:
  I have 50lbs to loose before my first race and an additional 25lbs by the end of the summer. I use sparkpeople.com for my food planning and logging and I track my progress on a GoWearFit by bodymedia. However I know almost nothing about sports nutrition.

What will Make me a Good Mentee:
) I may be a pain actually I ask lots of questions, try hard to follow advise and I feel more motivated than ever. I am so new that many of my questions will probably be rather stupid and naive, but hopefully that will allow the rest of the group to feel experienced and knowledgeable:D   I am committed and would love your help!

blessings! Mary

2010-12-23 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Welcome Scott and I will see you at IMWI this year.  Great story, hopefully we can get your swim and run upto your bike pace.
2010-12-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3259754

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hi Mary welcome to the group!

That is so cool you can train with your boyfriend, it makes spending time so much easier.  I don't think I could ever hit 120lbs, my bones weigh more than that!!  Lets make this a great season.

2010-12-23 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3259512

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Welcome Steph,

I know the feeling about working behind a desk, very hard to keep active. I try to drink alot of water that way I make several trips to restroom and walk around talking to employees.  I probably drive them nuts sometimes but it keeps me from sitting 8 hrs.  I used to insure many trucking accounts so I know what your job entails and I don't envy you!!!

2010-12-23 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3259827

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hi Mary(mfspears)

You are so far ahead of most people in Tri's as you enjoy swimming.  I know so many people that can fly on the bike or running but can't swim a lick. The great thing is you can coast through the bike and walk the run, but its hard to limp through a swim. Welcome
2010-12-23 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3259542

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi David.

Just took a quick glance at the avialble programs. What do you think of this one?

Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week

Thanks.

KC

2010-12-23 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
OK group we are at 10 right now and since this is my 1st time being a mentor (much more used to one on one coaching) I might take one or two more.   It is so hard to know how active everyone will be, as 10 is a great number if every sticks with us.  Right now I have
Kevin
Rob
Keith
Jason
Caleb
Tim
Steph
Scott
Mary (B)
Mary (Spears)

As for what we do next lets looks at everyones "A" goal for the year and figure out how we work to achieve it.

I will start: 
After 5 IM's without having a race that I am happy with my goal this year is anything with a 10 in it.  To achieve that I much stick to my training plan and not slack on the swim and keep healthy (had 2 stress fractures in 2 years & hate swimming so I skip those workouts alot)  Another huge factor for me is stretching and yoga/core work.  My 1st year I didn't it without missing one workout and it made a huge difference.  Short term (jan/Feb) I need to swim at-least 3 times per week and work upto 30miles running and around 50-200miles on the bike.

2010-12-23 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3259927

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2010-12-23 8:43 PM

Hi David.

Just took a quick glance at the available programs. What do you think of this one?

Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week

Thanks.

KC

Am I missing something as this plan has no biking?  For me this plan seems very basic for you if your already going 45 on the dreadmill and have a base under you.  Again this is just my opinion but 22 weeks for you in a sprint seems alittle long.

And yes everyone start logging all your workouts no matter how short or what they are.  Also make sure your logs are set to allow this group or everyone to see them.  I will try to drop by all the logs and we can all keep up with each others progress. 

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-23 8:17 PM

2010-12-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3259940

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
OK - me next I guess.

I need to start with getting a handle on swimming. I do have a coach but we are just getting into it so for right now swimming  and learning how to swim is my main priority. I have to be honest, it is getting the best of me but damn it I am going to figure it out!

Bike is set up in the basement, on the trainer directly in front of the TV with the treadmill right beside it. However, I am willing to do some running outside this winter if the weather is not real bad (since it is winter here in southwestern Ontario).

I guess the next thing I need to do is pick a specific training program that fits my current experience level. I do some running, I do some biking and my swimming sucks. While I do not have a ton of experience I have no problem climbing on that bike and working the treadmill or running outside. I am committed to Tuesday afternoon swimming lessons starting Jan 11th and have access to the college pool 3 or 4 days during the week for lap swims and practice.

After I figure out a dedicated training program that works for my current exprience level and give me some structured lesson plans, I guess I can beging to pick events. Here is what I am looking at as possible events for 2011:

Saturday June 11, Woodstock Ontario - Sprint Tri - 500m swim, 20km bike, 4km run.
Sunday July 16, Gravenhurst Ontario - Sprint Tri - 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run.
Sunday August 28, Toronto Island Tri - 750m swim, 30km bike, 7.5km run

Might be a little ambitious for a relative new comer? What do you think?

KC
2010-12-23 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3259953

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Dave - Thanks.

Here is the work out I mentioned. The reason I looked at it is because it is a bit more inexperienced swimmer friendly.

I will start to record all my workouts - starting with today.

KC

Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week - Online Coaching Available

Duration: 154 days (22 weeks)Detailed Plan: Yes (includes detailed workouts!)
A 22 Week Program taking you from no swim, bike or run experience to your first sprint triathlon. You can also use this as a great base-builder for first-time triathletes. NOTE-'Volume Graph' will not show bike/swim data as this plan's bike/swim training is distance based.

Min Bike: 1.86Mi (dist) Max Bike: 19.88Mi (dist)
Min Run: 20m (duration) / Max Run: 50m (duration)
Min Swim: 100.00Yd (dist) Max Swim: 900.00Yd (dist)
2010-12-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3259989

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

You just have to go with what your body allows you to do!

When I work with people that really struggle at swimming I use golf as an analogy.  It is ALL about technique you can be the strongest person in the world but you will never overpower the water Just like golf you can't muscle it for distance.  I would just practice what your coach tells you and work drills and kicking more than worrying about speed right now.  Remember you have to work with the water not fight it.

As long as your back can handle it jumping on the bike will never hurt.  There is a top level coach here on BT named Jorge and he has a winter bike program that will help you in all aspects of your racing.

2010-12-23 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Room for one more?

I am a 35 yr old Brit living on the North shore, MA.

Running is my weakest link, so it's also the one I am working the hardest on. I am planning on doing a 1/2 marathon in Feb (WHAT was I thinking??) I love swimming, and enjoy the bike.

I have done several sprints, and hope to do a HIM this summer.

I am also hoping to shed 1 or 2 lbs (10-15) during my training, but find it really hard to have self control where nutrition is concerned.

I look forward to being part of the group.

Cheekymonkey - Deb
2010-12-23 8:46 PM

User image

springfield il
Well, I'm leaning toward the Gateway Sprint (Carlye IL) on May 22 rather than Galena on 5/21 as my first race. I am also using Micheal Pates program, subing in the the 16week couch to 5k program for the running. (I have been using an extended 9week version this last year for exercise). I'm not sure what to do yet for strength. I'm really interested in feedback on the Michael P program as well.
Since this well be my first tri, I guess it is my A game and first focus. I am however interested in doing one other this summer. Any suggestions? How far apart is recommended? What are you favorite books on tris?
MaryS

2010-12-23 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3260001

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Sure Deb,

I  think we all struggle with nutrition, especially right now with all the goodies.  A 1/2 in Feb, what distances are you at right now?

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-23 9:01 PM
2010-12-23 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Yeah, sorry, my name is Caleb.  I edited my post so that's in there. 
2010-12-23 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3260006

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
mfspears - 2010-12-23 9:46 PM Well, I'm leaning toward the Gateway Sprint (Carlye IL) on May 22 rather than Galena on 5/21 as my first race. I am also using Micheal Pates program, subing in the the 16week couch to 5k program for the running. (I have been using an extended 9week version this last year for exercise). I'm not sure what to do yet for strength. I'm really interested in feedback on the Michael P program as well.
Since this well be my first tri, I guess it is my A game and first focus. I am however interested in doing one other this summer. Any suggestions? How far apart is recommended? What are you favorite books on tris?
MaryS

That does seem to be a nice plan but if I remember you are a swimmer,that plan seems to be geared to someone that needs the  most help in that department.  I will also be leaning on you for swimming advice, PLEASE give your input on any topic.  We can all learn from each others strengths.  I looked and the 1st few workout were very short ie 100 yards total, for you that may not be quite enough since it seem that once a swimmer always a swimmer.   If you search BT there are some great core exercises to do, if I get a minute I will a few basic ones.

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-23 9:13 PM
2010-12-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3260021

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
razorxp - 2010-12-23 10:01 PM Sure Deb,

I  think we all struggle with nutrition, especially right now with all the goodies.  A 1/2 in Feb, what distances are you at right now?

The goodies. Ahhh the goodies - I love food. Yes, it is really hard right now. I shall be in NY this weekend, then after that I plan on really getting serious again. I am down 28lbs so far, so I just have to ramp it up.

Distance wise, I am attempting 8 miles on Monday. I am using a HH intermediate training plan. So far so good.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76