BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-12-24 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Chet's Mentor Group - Open
Hope there is still room. This sounds like just the group for me.

Name - cwpeters (Chris)

Story - This will be my 2nd full year of tri's. I had a very successful first season with several wins in the Clydesdale division.  All of those races were Sprint distances, with the last one being a longer (almost Oly) race.  I have also done several half marathons and 1 full marathon (walked the whole thing due to bad knee pain at the time).  The main reason I started tri's was to lose weight.  Last January I was almost 300 pounds. During the course of my training I dropped down to 227.  Unfortunately with my schedule I have not been as faithful to my training and am up to 243 now.  

Family - Married 12 years, 2 boys ages 8 & 6. Employed as an Athletic Trainer and Shop Teacher at a local high school.

Goals - Get back into a regular training schedule.  Lose the weight I've gained back since this summer.  Improve my swim.  Get my bike speed up to 23+ mph.  Get my run time down to 8 min. per mile.

Races - March 13 - Sarasota Half Marathon, under 2 hours is my goal
       May 1 - St. Anthony's Triathlon - Oly distance 
       June - August - Several local Sprint distance tris
       October/November - First HIM, either IM Miami 70.3 or Miamiman

Current Training Plan - BT Half Marathon - 20 weeks 

2010-12-24 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3260485

User image

Amsterdam
Race Ideas:
Delta Triathlon (Sprint) - April 16, 2011
Lees Trail Triathlon (Sprint) - May 29, 2011
Iron Mountain Triathlon (OD) - mid-June (T.B.D.) 2011 - "A" Race

My training schedule (Jan-Mar 2011):
Run 2x/week - one short (~60 mins), one "long run" (60+ mins)
Swim 2x/week (lessons + gradually build up to 60 mins)
Bike: Commute on my racing bike (for ~1 hour, >2x/week)
Shoulder PT: 2x/week - stretching + strength exercises
Reevaluate at the end of March 2011.

Rationale for training schedule:
- Run: I've been running for years.  2x60 mins isn't a problem for me..  plus I'd eventually like to work back up to a half marathon this summer (hence the long run)
- Swim: This is my problem area.   I need to find a swim club to correct my lousy form ASAP.
- Bike: I'm a bike commuter -- so frequent trips of 30-60 minutes come for free.
- Shoulder: I can't swim confidently without fixing this
The training days are flexible, since my schedule tends to change from week to week.   The only part I'll probably need to fix on a weekly basis is the swimming, since a swim club will (hopefully) be involved.

Opinions are welcome..
Mel

Edited by grrlrunner 2010-12-24 11:44 PM
2010-12-25 1:37 AM

Just north of Seattle WA
Hi Chet- I'd like to join your group if you still have room.

I'm 53, and completed my first two tri's in 2010. In my younger years I was a long distance runner and also got into biking many years ago. A few years ago, I started training for long distance biking, riding the Seattle to Portland ride twice. While I've been in good biking shape, I still wasn't in very good overall shape. Funny how you can ride thousands of miles and still have a gut! I was a fairly decent swimmer in my younger years, so I figured triathlons would be fun and my ticket to overall better fitness, since I'm comfortable with and enjoy each discipline. My wife has been doing them for a few years now too.
I did my first two tri's last year (sprint), and had a lot of fun. I started last year at 225 pounds, running 1/2  mile and swimming for only 10 minutes without stopping. I ended October at 210, able to run 5 miles, and swimming 1 mile easily. (My main goal last year was to have fun, keep training and not get injured). I've gained a few pounds since then because of an injury to my soleus muscle in October, and an injury to my shoulder which cut out swimming. The weather cut out outdoor biking for me, so yep......now I'm a mess and looking forward to regaining (slowly) what I lost last year, losing more weight and having fun.
I must have goals and events for motivation otherwise I just don't get much done. I'm working on setting my goals for next year. I'm looking forward to this group.
Thanks, Greg
2010-12-25 3:15 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Beautiful day today, despite forecast of torrential rain the skies cleared and we had a sunny hot morning and mild afternoon.
Went for a surf and swim with the family before breakfast then took the dog for a run on the beach before going round to friends for drinks and food.

Ran 5k barefoot on the beach, quite a tough run due to very soft sand and high tide so often knee deep in water and ankle deep in wet sand. Good for leg strength apparently....!
Also was quite warm (28 deg celsius) and humid.

Last week I did something similar but had to stop due to calf cramps but today felt great, I think the problem last week was due to having done a strenuous bike ride earlier in the day; I'm still trying to get used to what my body will take.

Haven't swum properly for a couple of weeks so next week must get back into a routine.

Hope everyone had a good day today,
Cheers,
David

2010-12-25 5:32 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I am hoping to join your group to help me with my goals for the next two years. Big picture is that I am 38 and having the predictable mid-life crisis! I can't afford a fast car and can't be bothered to have an affair (wouldn't want to anyway!) so that just leaves taking up excercise!

I don't like to do things by half so with that in mind I hope to complete an Ironman before turning 40 in November 2012. This coming year will be about building endurance.

Past

In 2010 I completed my first half marathon, full marathon and 80 mile sportive bike ride along with a few other smaller events. I have never done a tri and have spent the last few weeks re-learning to swim.

Present

I am married with two amazing young kiddies. I work full time with some shift work so fitting in excercise can sometimes be challenging but its usually worth it. I love to eat and am aiming to lose a few kg as well this year. Currently 75kg aiming for 70kg.

Future

In 2011 I have signed up for the local half marathon http://www.invernesshalfmarathon.co.uk/in March and a local bike race http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/in May. I will be aiming to do a few local triathlons this summer to get a feel for the sport and am considering a 70.3 in the latter part of the year. I also plan to do a second marathon in the autumn (fall).

I hope you dont me tagging along with your group to help keep me motivated.

Ross

Edited by eejit 2010-12-25 5:33 AM
2010-12-25 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Welcome Ross, Greg, and Chris.  We have our group!

Merry Christmas!

I hope everyone has a fantastic day. 

2010-12-25 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Mel-  One of the few injuries I have had in the last 5 years was my left shoulder due to bad swim form.  I got lessons to correct the form and the shoulder got better (after PT too).  I think you have an excellent training plan lined out.  I hope the shoulder issue is resolved quickly.  Ibuprofen, ice and rest seemed to keep my inflammation and pain under control.

David- sounds like a beautiful way to spend Christmas.  I haven't tried the barefoot sand runs before but they sound slow

Ross-  The Ironman is special.  I think yo have a good plan to get there and the time line is doable for sure.  The fast car may be a little cheeper in the long run though.  Really listen to your body along the way.  It sounds like you are an all out type of guy and could ignore signs that you need rest.  Be careful there.  I can definitely say, the hard work and long days was worth it.  So much so, I am doing it again. 

Edited by cbarnes1 2010-12-25 12:27 PM
2010-12-25 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson

Greetings everyone and Merry Christmas, so glad to be here with the opportunity to meet and train with all of you over the next several months.  I hope this is just what I need to really get me in to training mindset that I want and need.

My story-I seem to have always had some kind of body image of myself.  Always trying to loose weight, diet the usual.  I've "worked out" most of my adult life in gyms, doing classes, walking, riding my mnt bike.  Never really pushed myself just did whatever.  I started an outdoor bootcamp class here in Vegas and loved showing up everyday.  It pushed me beyond my comfort zone and gave me the motivation to keep trying and doing.  I especially started to like cardio days.  This past July I started running.  I have logged about 360 miles since July.  I have done a timed 5k and 2 10k's.  I especially love trail running too.  I also enjoy riding my mnt bike. I rode in a Lance Armstrong race this year, 45 miles or so on my mnt bike.  Swimming is going to be my biggest challenge for the TRI.  I plan to start some classes in February.

Family-I am happily married for 18 years to George.  I have 2 awesome boys, Tyler is 16 and Logan is 15.  We are all somewhat active.  My husband and youngest son are currently working out to P90X.  My older son Tyler has been in youth and high school wrestling for 5 years.  We want to instill the active lifestyle to our boys so they will hopefully continue into their adult lives.

Goals-my current goals for 2011 include my first 1/2 marathon on Jan 8, running with the Angels.  I think I am going to be ready for that.  My farthest distance is 11 miles.  My main event or A race this year for me will be my first sprint Triathalon on April 30th, Aflac Iron Girl in Las Vegas, NV.  I also plan on a Dual a Thon and probably some other running events.  I hope that I enjoy the TRI (Im sure I will) that I will be planning my next one maybe before year end.

Weight-I need to get serious with this.  I would like to loose about 30lbs.  I hope that by tracking everything on the BL site the accountabilities and all your support I am going reach that goal.

Guess that's about it for now.  Look forward to getting started with you all.

2010-12-25 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Our Group:

eejit- Ross
ibeshela- Sheila
StrayDog- Jeff
mmh- Michele
sblack- Steve
bettyboop013- Daneen
copa2251- David
grrlrunner- Mel
suziq- Suzi
melwilltri911- Mel?
mnardulli- Marc
kacerrob- Robert 
cwpeters- Chris
gnlking- Greg

Let me know if I made any mistakes

Edited by cbarnes1 2010-12-26 12:35 PM
2010-12-25 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Sheila - I did the Angels half last year.  Smaller race and really well ran.  I didn't have the guts to run the sister race- Running with the Devil - at noon - in July!  I highly recommend the one in January though.

Edited by cbarnes1 2010-12-26 12:36 PM
2010-12-25 10:18 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Subject: The Original 13 Week Sprint Training Plan
Found my plan.  This looks like a pretty good starting point for me.  Anyone else done this one? 

2010-12-26 12:19 AM

User image

New user

Does anyone have a good app for inputting your plan and logging your workouts on your Iphone and computer?

Thanks,
Robert 
2010-12-26 12:33 AM
in reply to: #3261604

User image

Regular
Henderson
Hi Robert, I like the AllSport GPS/Trimble Outdoors. 
2010-12-26 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Morning all, well Christmas is over.  One more holiday to get through and then it's full force ahead for me.  No excuses not to do something today though.  I NEED to get out there.  My 1/2 is in 2 weeks.  Going out running this morning by Lake Mead. I've been practicing on the race course for the "Angel" race.  Daneen is joining me today. Cool  I hope we have a great run. 

What activities are you doing today?

2010-12-26 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Hope everyone got shiny new tri gear for Christmas!

Sheila and  Daneen- hope you have great run!  Remember, hills make you strong

I have my long run on tap.  I am six weeks out from an "A" race and need these long runs to go well.

Edited by cbarnes1 2010-12-26 12:37 PM
2010-12-26 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
"80% of gains are made with 20% effort"

What this means is you don't have to go as hard as you can or put in hours every day.  Your fitness will improve in chunks just by being consistent.  They key is getting out and doing something on a regular basis.  If you can make it fun and not a burden that will improve your chances of it becoming a lifestyle.  15 minutes 4 days a week is much better than an hour once a week.

2010-12-26 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3261786

User image

Regular
Henderson
Beatuiful moring for a run Chet.  It was like heaven out there.  We actually ended up running the tunnels down to the Hover Dam.  7.7 miles.  Whoohooo.  Hope your out having a great long run.  So how long are your long runs?
Chet, small typo on the spelling of my name, it's Sheila. Smile

Daneen you rocked today and were very strong.  Great job.

2010-12-26 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Ugh, sorry Sheila.  Fixed it.  Glad you two had a nice run.  I am waiting for my wife to finish her long run to start mine.  I have an 18 today, she is doing a 16.  I am still putting toys together from yesterday then she is starting to put the decorations away.  Fun filled day today.

What is on tap for everyone this week? 
2010-12-26 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Can't let us sit on the bottom of the page  Hope to hear from everyone this week.

" If it hurts, go faster.  It will be over quicker." 
2010-12-26 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Tried out my Christmas present last night, a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, with a Spinervals DVD.  I really think my bike hates me now.  That was one of the hardest workouts I've had.  Today I'm scheduled for a 70 minute hilly run.  The only problem, I live on the west coast of Florida, the only hills we have are bridges and with 20 mph winds and temps in the upper 30's, I think a bridge run is out.  Looks like its back to the bike.
2010-12-26 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Chris, I have heard from others that those workouts are tough.  Do you recommend it for a slow cyclist (me)?  I am setting my trainer up again.  

2010-12-26 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3262285

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
cbarnes1 - 2010-12-26 9:30 PM Chris, I have heard from others that those workouts are tough.  Do you recommend it for a slow cyclist (me)?  I am setting my trainer up again.  

The DVD that came with the trainer was the Threshold Test workout.  They say to do this one every 6-8 weeks to evaluate progress.  It was well done with good instruction and explanation of what to do.  When I pick up my other bike from the LBS I'm going to see if they any other DVDs. 
2010-12-26 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Did some strength training today for the first time in ages, set the weights low and just tried to get into a routine again.
Quite enjoyed it, feel more enthusiastic about making the effort to go to the gym a couple of times a week now.
Stupid thing is that I get free gym access as part of my surf club membership so have no excuse for not using it!!!

Rainy again today but nice and warm, happy to have started on my training plan.

I'm going to do a 10k run in March (Brisbane Twighlight Run), how long do you reckon I should make my long run between now and the race? I was thinking 14k??

Cheers, David

2010-12-27 12:17 AM

User image

Regular
Henderson
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/avail.3.black.pink.white/7306/44531/

We put a deposit on my new 1st road bike.  Yeah....can't belive it didn't come with pedals, lol     Hope it's a good choice for my first TRI.  It's gotta be easier than my mountain bike.  It's a Giant too and I love that mnt bike.  Hope I love this one just as much.
2010-12-27 12:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very cool Sheila! You will love your road bike after the mountain bike - I couldn't believe how much easier my road bike was to ride!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28