BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-02 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine - OPEN
Hello, Id love to join this group

My name is Igby and I live in East Scotland.
I'm about to turn 30, I've been running for about 2 years but not consistently.
I've just joined an outdoor swim training group and I cycle but not speedy!
Triathlon has been my dream for two years now and this year I've decided I'm big enough and ugly enough to do it.
I've got no kids, just a wee dog.
I'm looking forward to joining in with the group and supporting each other.
Thanks
Igby

2011-01-02 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group with wbayek & itsallrelative_Maine - OPEN
Wow! Lots of great interest yesterday afternoon. Welcome all.

It looks like we've got folks from the MD area, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Rhode Island, Nevada and Scotland (!). Very nice.

It looks great that you all have goals for 2011 - it really helped me focus on what I wanted to get out of the year for 2010 and was a method I used to get out the door (if I miss this workout, what impact will that have on achieving my goals for 2010?).

I must admit that I have already been slacking this year ;-) I finished off 2010 with a big push and am taking a couple of days to recover. Monday morning will be my official start of the training year - I'm going to swim and run. It can be really hard to fit in workouts when working full time - do any of you have secrets or strategies for getting it done? My main strategy is to get one workout done before anyone else gets up in the morning and fit the other workout in during my lunch break or when I take the kids to swim practice (I think I'm going to avoid working out at the local Y during swim practice for the next month or so - it will be CRAZY with people).

Also - are any of you following a plan, or are you just fitting in a workout wherever you can? This winter, I'm going to follow Jorge's Winter Cycling Challenge (I did his challenge last winter and saw a definite improvement on my cycling speeds) and train for a half marathon at the end of Feb...throwing in as many swims as I can talk myself into...I'll start a HIM plan in May. How about you all?
2011-01-02 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3271522

User image

New York
The half is going the last tri of the year for me, not my A race, just for fun. A race looks to be Wilkes-Barre.
2011-01-02 5:25 PM

User image

Name: KellySue

Story: I am a non-athelete. I have never participated in organized sports or excercise. I am a teacher. I recently lost 60lbs over the course of a year and quit smoking. I joined the local YMCA and have been infrequently going to work out. I have done some walk/jog races in the past but nothing consistent. My brother wants to train for a Sprint? Marathon in September. I figure I will need from now until then to do it. (Knowing me.) I am a teacher and am currently finishing my thesis.

Family:I  am a single mother of a 7 and 5 year old. 

RACES: January CHilly Chili 5k
    September Skinnyman Triathalon

NEEDS: I really want to accomplish this goal for many reasons...mostly an empowerment and testament to myself for all that I have journeyed through in the past four years. 
2011-01-02 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3272870

New user

Sellersville
KellySue you are an inspiration!  Wow, great job on what you have accomplished so far!! 

Wink
2011-01-02 6:37 PM

Name: Tara Muise (tmuise1)

Story: I am a stay at home mom.  I live in Canada.   I am  looking for a challenge and triathlons seem to be just the thing.  I am looking to do a  sprint in June 2011.   This will be my first triathlon.  I am a true beginner. 

Family Status:  5,3,2,and 1 year sons.  I want to keep healthy as an example to for them.

Current Training:  I am weight training and attending classes at the local YMCA

Weight Loss:  I have lost 50 lbs over the past 2 years.  Still have a little ways to go.

I would like to join this group.   I can use all the support and advice available.   Hoping to hear from you soon.

Edited by TMUISE1 2011-01-02 6:40 PM

2011-01-02 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3272225

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

I do not follow a training plan, but would like to follow Jorge's Winter Cycling Challenge.  Can you post it on here or let us know where we can find this plan.  Thanks Jennifer. 

2011-01-02 7:32 PM

New user

Hello everyone!  Just another fellow Mainer hoping to jump into your group!  Hope you can squeeze me in.

NAME:  Rachael

STORY:
  The idea of doing a triathlon came to me last March when I was 7 months pregnant.  Initially I thought it was impulsive and absurd, but the nagging feeling hasn't left.  I have never been overly athletic- in fact, I'm a music teacher.   I spent the summer recovering from pregnancy, and worked on building a little volume in running and swimming.  Needless to say I'm a total beginner.  And I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit intimidated about the process, but something in me wants this badly.  Even if a Tri isn't in the future this fall, I am definitely getting a 5K in.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 girls- a 3.5 year old and a 7 month old.  Crossing my fingers I can balance this all out. 

CURRENT TRAINING: 3 days running/walking (Aggressive C25K plan) and 2 days swimming at the Y.  Currently concentrating on form and building volume. Incorporating biking by the spring. 

WEIGHT LOSS: Have about 20lbs of prego weight to lose still.  The scale is moving in the right direction (finally!), and I've taken about 15 off.

2011 Plan: Definitely a few local 5Ks in the late summer/early fall.  Fireman or Kennebunk Beach Tri would be on the radar.

Look forward to your help and guidance- I'm going to need it ALL! Smile
2011-01-02 8:47 PM

User image

Morristown, NJ
I would love to join your group if I still can.  My name is Susan and I live in NJ.  I am delinquent in training for my second tri with Team in Training in May.

NAME: Susan 

STORY: I have been working out on and off for the past 5 years or so, sometimes much more consistently than others.  Last year, I signed up with my sister to do a Sprint with Team in Training.  Given that a lot of the team practices were not convenient for me, I was training on my own most of the time.  I finished the Tri but was very disappointed with my results.  I think there were only about 10 people who came in after me.  After the race in June, I got a little lazy due to the heat and fell out of training a bit.  I got a bit back on track and did a 5K on Thanksgiving but with the holidays, snow and a bad cold, I need an extra push.

FAMILY STATUS: Single. 

CURRENT TRAINING/2011 Plan: I am doing my second sprint in May with Team In Training and much of the training will be on my own again.  I would also like to add much more running this year and work up to a half marathon in the fall.  My biggest issue is lack of consistency.

WEIGHT LOSS: I have always been on the heavier side and am looking to lose 30 lbs in general, not necessarily by the Tri in May (would be a stretch anyway).
2011-01-02 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
?If you've still got room....

NAME: David Qua (Qua17)

STORY: I'm a teacher/admission officer at a school for kids with dyslexia just outside of Boston.  I'm pushing 40 and have always been prone to the injury bug.  In school, I ran cross country and track but have put the weight on as I've struggled with ITB and plantar faciitis over the past two decades.  Two years ago, I started training for a sprint and I loved it.  Then I got injured again and have never gotten back into the swing of things.  I'm hopin that joining a group will help keep me more accountible. 

FAMILY STATUS:  Married for 13 years to a very patient woman who has blessed me with three kids - 10,8, and 22 months.

CURRENT TRAINING: Before the vacation, I was working out a couple of times a week, but I haven't done much since December 15.  I'll hit the bike tomorrow mornin and plan on riding and swimming to drop a few pounds before I start running.

2010 RACES: Zip

2011 RACES:  A spint in May, a century in August (I've got a bet with my cousin that I would very much like to win), and a half-marathon in November.

WEIGHT LOSS: I tip the scales at 252 and I need to lose a couple before really hitting the pavement.  In a perfect world, I'd like to lose a pound a week...

Why I'd be a good member: I promise to support you guys and cheer you on during the course of the next three months.  I know a little bit about running and would be more than happy to share some advice in return for your encouragement and support. 

2011-01-02 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3272225

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-02 10:07 AM

Wow! Lots of great interest yesterday afternoon. Welcome all.

It looks like we've got folks from the MD area, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Rhode Island, Nevada and Scotland (!). Very nice.

It looks great that you all have goals for 2011 - it really helped me focus on what I wanted to get out of the year for 2010 and was a method I used to get out the door (if I miss this workout, what impact will that have on achieving my goals for 2010?).

I must admit that I have already been slacking this year ;-) I finished off 2010 with a big push and am taking a couple of days to recover. Monday morning will be my official start of the training year - I'm going to swim and run. It can be really hard to fit in workouts when working full time - do any of you have secrets or strategies for getting it done? My main strategy is to get one workout done before anyone else gets up in the morning and fit the other workout in during my lunch break or when I take the kids to swim practice (I think I'm going to avoid working out at the local Y during swim practice for the next month or so - it will be CRAZY with people).

Also - are any of you following a plan, or are you just fitting in a workout wherever you can? This winter, I'm going to follow Jorge's Winter Cycling Challenge (I did his challenge last winter and saw a definite improvement on my cycling speeds) and train for a half marathon at the end of Feb...throwing in as many swims as I can talk myself into...I'll start a HIM plan in May. How about you all?

BIKE – I am at a loss for this one. I just go out and ride. I start with 10 milers for a couple of weeks, and then I start increasing until I get to race distance. I live near the Iron Girl course so this year I rode the hilly 17.5 miles every weekend and did a spin class during the week. Right now that’s my plan. I do have an indoor trainer I bought but still need to set up.

RUNNING – I run with a group 3x a week. They keep me motivated and make the miles go faster. We usually pick races around the same time and follow the same training programs. We use customized version Hal Higdon’s training programs.

SWIM – I just re-joined my swim class. It meets 2x week at 6:15am. The main focus of the class is development of competitive strokes and techniques including starts and turns. Workouts includes practice sets and intervals while continuing to develop triathlon, overall swimming endurance and speed.

For those looking for a swim program, BT has quite a few plus there is the Swim Zero to One Mile in 6 Weeks program.

ZERO to 1650 in Six Weeks - http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

ZERO TO 700 an Easy Preamble to the 0-1650 Plan - http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html

Beginner Swim Workouts: Endurance, Form and Speed - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Beginner Swim Program: Month 1 (month 2 & 3 links at bottom of the page) – http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

2011-01-02 11:01 PM

Burlington
Greetings from the (not currently) frozen state of Vermont! 

If you have room for one more, this is the group I would like to join. I appreciate very much the clear expectations you have set for the group, as well as the points to what will make this a good group.

Name: Kim (greenhousevt)

Story: In 8 months I turn 40 and I am out of shape. I've never been an athlete, and have had some years in which I have worked out consistently (weights and cardio) and many more years in which I have not. Consistency/discipline (outside of my job -- I'm a workaholic) is a struggle for me. I did a sprint triathlon in '96 and another in '97 (but didn't train very well for either). I enjoy swimming (though I'm not good at it), love biking, and dislike running. I have a bone growth on my hip that eventually I will have cut out, but I don't want to have surgery until I get in shape so that the recuperation is faster (and I want to be in a lot of pain before I put myself through the pain of surgery!)

Family status: Wow -- we hit the 17-year mark this month - where does the time go? One rescued cocker spaniel of indeterminate age who loves walk-jogging when I take him.

Current training: My couch. I have started a 13-week Couch-to-10K running plan but am in the very early stages. I will be getting back on my spin bike in the basement on 2 of the non-running days. I need to figure out when/how to transition to a sprint and/or olympic training plan once I'm further into the 10K run plan.

2010 races: I did a lot of high-quality work for my employer, but nothing for myself. (Does it count if I watched a friend finish a half-marathon?) ;-)

2011: If it's not too much of a stretch, I want to finish an Olympic distance on Sept. 11 here in Vermont. The course is not hilly compared to another local option, however, I am essentially starting from my couch. If I only want to finish the course (I'm OK being at the very back of the pack), is this achievable? If that is too much to aim for with just 8 months of training, then I will settle for a series of sprints over the summer (hilly course). I will need to sign up for some 5Ks and 10Ks between now and then to keep myself focused.

Weight loss:  I have always been thin, but my metabolism is slowing down. I should weigh 10 pounds less than my current 144 lbs (and more of me should be muscle, not fat), but my weight is less my concern than is my *health*. I want to be able to run through an airport to catch a plane and not feel winded (like I did on Saturday). I want to feel like I want to go hiking/snow-shoeing/biking and have that feel more exciting than reading a good book. 

What would make me a good mentee/group member: I am detail oriented so love to complete training logs. I have a positive attitude and like to support others in achieving their goals. I solicit advice and I take it. I am Cold Weather Challenged (originally from California) so can relate to those of us negotiating winter with training (my basement and I know each other well by April). 

I am new to how this site works, so it may take me a couple of days to figure out the logs, 'inspires,' etc. Thanks for considering!
Kim 
2011-01-02 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3273305

Burlington
Lovey - thanks for posting these great swim workouts!

Kim 
2011-01-03 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
Welcome all! It looks like a great group of people. I have listed all of the members below - please feel free to modify my listing. Also - please add these folks to your friends list so they can all view your training logs - it really does help my motivation to know someone will be checking on my progress:

Lovey - Maryland
Jacks4life - Nevada
KOM (Kathy) - Rhode Island
alsiedee (Ally)
MindBodyandSoul (Lesia) - Pennsylvania
jgrigg - Michigan
mw22 (Mike) - Pennsylvania
scott1223 (Scott) - Maryland
igby - Scotland
KellySue1975
TMUISE (Tara)
Syrinx61 (Rachel) - Maine
ssngeorge
Qua17 (David) - Massachusetts
greenhousevt (Kim) -Vermont

itsallrelative_Maine (Jennifer) - Maine
wbayek (Warren) - New Hampshire

A link to the cycling thread:  http://wwww.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=230692&posts=605&start=1 

If you have a trainer and are stuck indoors this winter - this is a fantastic program.

I'm going to do a swim this morning - first one of the year and only the second swim in a month (my swimming has been slacking)...my wonderful husband got me a waterproof music player (it's actually an iPod Shuffle that has been waterproofed) for Christmas - so I am looking forward to trying it out once I have gotten everyone off to school.

Kim (greenhousevt) - I think an Oly in Sept is completely acheivable if you are consistent with the training. I would also recommend trying a sprint a couple of months before the Oly just to get the lay of the land (how to handle transitions, what it feels like coming out of the water and going to the bike, and the switch from spinning to running) if there is any way you can fit it in.

Have a wonderful Monday!
2011-01-03 9:00 AM

User image

NH
Wow, I was away yesterday because a friend from Philly called with free tix to the Patriots game, so I spent the day in Foxboro overpaying for lousy bratwurst and not running!

Great interest in here, I'm psyched.  Where to begin?  I'll try to address everyone's story/goals/year individually at some point today, so be patient.

In general - great progress by everyone already, remember this journey is for health, quality of life,  and fun, so never lose sight of that.  It's great to be competitive if that's your thing, but even being competitive is relative to your own goals.  Never get caught up in the comparative game - just do the best you can within YOUR particular parameters.  We all have different abilities, available time, genetics, desire, goals, etc.

All we ask on here is that you have some type of goal(s), friend us in BT, log your workouts so we can help you, write race reports when you race (I LOVE reading them, good and bad!), ask questions, offer advice and encouragement, and HAVE FUN doing this crazy triathlon thing.
2011-01-03 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I overslept this morning and missed my spin class.
Tonight is basketball practice so I don't know if I will get a workout in. Swim class starts tomorrow so I may need the rest.

2011-01-03 4:25 PM

Went to the gym with a friend this morning was able to do 30 minutes on the bike and 30 on the treadmill.   I have lots of training to do :P

Hope everyone else workout went well today

Edited by TMUISE1 2011-01-03 4:25 PM
2011-01-03 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3275027

User image

NH
Lovey - 2011-01-03 5:12 PM I overslept this morning and missed my spin class. Tonight is basketball practice so I don't know if I will get a workout in. Swim class starts tomorrow so I may need the rest.

Basketball doesn't count as a workout?  Just keep track of how far you run and log it! Smile

2011-01-03 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3275056

User image

NH
TMUISE1 - 2011-01-03 5:25 PM Went to the gym with a friend this morning was able to do 30 minutes on the bike and 30 on the treadmill.   I have lots of training to do :P

Hope everyone else workout went well today

That's a great start Tara.  And super huge congrats on your journey already. 

For just starting out training, I'd suggest just do enough so you could do the workout again the next day.  I'm not saying you WILL do the workout again, just that your body COULD do it.  In other words, take it slow and easy when starting.

There will be plenty of time to build up, but staying healthy and motivated is the key.  This will sound like a broken record before I'm done, but my strong belief is that consistency trumps all.

Edited by wbayek 2011-01-03 5:34 PM
2011-01-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3273358

User image

NH
greenhousevt - 2011-01-03 12:01 AM Greetings from the (not currently) frozen state of Vermont! 

Current training: My couch

I love this quote!  You are off to a great start doing the couch to 10k plan.  Starting now and planning a Olympic Sept 11 is definitely doable.  But an Oly is a serious distance, so getting your endurance in place and then proper pacing during the race will be the key.  For now just keep after that run program and don't worry too much about the biking/swimming yet.  We'll get you on the bike soon enough.

When you say you like swimming but aren't good at it, does that mean you have no fear of completing the Oly swim distance?  You're ahead of 95% of first timers if that's true.
2011-01-03 5:38 PM

User image

NH
KellySue, amazing to lose that much weight AND quitting smoking.  Those two almost never go together, so you've got some serious internal strength.  You WILL finish that sprint, and with a smile on your face.

But first, you've only got a few weeks to go for that 5k.  Good luck.

2011-01-03 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3275162

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
wbayek - 2011-01-03 6:22 PM

Lovey - 2011-01-03 5:12 PM I overslept this morning and missed my spin class. Tonight is basketball practice so I don't know if I will get a workout in. Swim class starts tomorrow so I may need the rest.

Basketball doesn't count as a workout?  Just keep track of how far you run and log it! Smile

I should have said my kids basketball practice. I may have to call up exercise tv on demand.
2011-01-03 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3275182

Burlington
wbayek - 2011-01-03 6:33 PM 

When you say you like swimming but aren't good at it, does that mean you have no fear of completing the Oly swim distance?  You're ahead of 95% of first timers if that's true.

I was *extremely* nervous before my first sprint triathlon, and so took a swim class at the university  where the swim coach worked with our group to build up some distance. So the quarter-mile (or was it half-mile? I can't remember) swim for my first sprints (both in lakes) were much easier than I anticipated. However, I *cannot* say I have no fear of completing the Olympic swim distance -- I have a long way to go with training! But I won't get near starting swim training for a couple of months as I need to get my general cardio endurance back. (And while I may live in Vermont, I am a wimpy native Californian at heart who won't use my free pool at work (university) until necessary as it's really cold! I'd be better off training in a pool at a retirement community until I get some form back.;-) ) Bottom line is I will get really nervous about the distance once I get back in the pool....

[My tip for someone new to swimming any distance: I always got so nervous and distracted trying to focus on my form when I swam that for the life of me I couldn't keep track of counting my laps. I started to bring a pile of pennies -- however many laps I needed to do -- to the pool and put them on the right side of my lane and after every lap I would quickly slide a penny to the other side. So I could never cheat. Not sustainable long-term, but a good motivator for the early weeks of training when there are so many things you're trying to keep track of!] 

Today's training: I went to the indoor track on campus after work tonight and did my jog 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds routine for couch to 10K. Yay me. ;-)

2011-01-03 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3275396

User image

Expert
greenhousevt - 2011-01-03 7:36 PM
wbayek - 2011-01-03 6:33 PM 

Today's training: I went to the indoor track on campus after work tonight and did my jog 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds routine for couch to 10K. Yay me. ;-)

Kim - Nice job on getting that workout in tonight after work!  My wife did the couch to 5k plan and thought it was really hard... I hope you are having good luck with it.

DQ

2011-01-03 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3275182

User image

Expert
Hi All - 

Today I managed to hit the gym this morning to spin for 20 minutes.  It felt good to get back on the bike - but I'm feeling it in my hip and knee tonight...  I think my plan is going to be to spend the next 6 weeks slowing getting going on the bike and in the pool before starting the running portion of my training.  I looked on BT for a good plan but didn't find one that was right for me... the beginning biking one was too much and the Michael Pates 22 week program is too long (my first tri is in may). I need to find a plan, at least for the next 6 weeks, that involves 4 days of exercise - any suggestions?

David 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23