BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-01-14 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3271854

User image

Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! OPEN
Heading out of work.  Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend of training and playoff football.  Here we go, Steelers.

Bump.

2011-01-14 4:02 PM

New user

Name: jsmcgowan/Jocelyn

Story: Once upon a time, I was in super shape...I played premier division soccer/ultimate frisbee and field hockey. I've had kids, packed on a bunch of weight and two kids under 3 just doesn't jive with team sport schedules. I've tried unsuccessfully to make a comeback to field hockey this year...has nothing to do with my fitness but with my family life. I've decided to try an individual sport that will hopefully work with my schedule. I used to run cross country in high school and also ran lots of 5k and 10ks before kids. I swam in high school as well. Never been on a road bike in my life...I have a mountain bike. Since it is such an investment, my husband says that if I drop some weight and show that I'm serious about racing (as in, look like I'm in good enough shape to complete a race), I can get a bike. So that is the first mini goal for me.

Family Status:
  Married, two kids under 3(a boy and a girl)

Current Training:
  Just started a couch to 5k running program (has me going 3 times a week), spinning twice a week (I, too, am scared of a bike) and I swim a mile, twice a week. The biggest thing for me for the rest of January is figuring out scheduling and how I'm going to do this. I have to take my kids running with me...which means I'm pushing an extra 80lbs around with them in the stroller =P

Races:
  My first triathlon ever will be Subaru Vancouver International Triathlon July 3, 2011

Weight loss: Yes please.

And I guess this makes me number 7.
2011-01-14 4:14 PM

NAME:  tim.amo/Tim

STORY:  I was talked into doing a triathlon.  I was hesitant at first, mostly because I hadn't swam a lap in 25 years, but once I got comfortable in the water I figured the biking and running will come around in time.  I'm actually quite excited about getting into the sport, and I was happy to find this forum.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married, with two dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I've been working on building my base and now I'm ready to start an actual training program.

GOALS:  Complete a triathlon with a smile.

#8.

Edited by Tim.amo 2011-01-14 4:19 PM
2011-01-14 4:26 PM

User image

Cincinnati
Number 6.

Hi everyone.  This is Doug, and I did a couple of sprint tri's in 2010, one normal length and another with a short 400m indoor swim.  I have been a swimmer since I was 6, and need some help with the other 2 sports.  I got a little tired of people passing me after I got out of the water.  I am 30 this year, married with no kids.  I spend too much time at my computer at work eack day.  I would love to join the group and get some outside motivation.  I'll write more on monday. 

-Doug
2011-01-14 5:06 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Welcome Jocelyn, Doug and Tim!

Edited by aquagirl 2011-01-14 5:07 PM
2011-01-15 11:19 AM

User image

Ohio

Name – Allen

Story – I never liked to run, but at the age of 40 started jogging for fitness and to relieve stress.    After learning to run, I had a steel door at my YMCA cut my Achilles tendon.    This set me back for almost 2 years.   Once I recovered from the Achilles, I did a couch to 5k program and enjoyed the routine and the races.    I travel 100 days a year for my work so it’s hard to always train and watch your diet. The good news is I’m usually at some of the top resorts in the country so I have access to some great facilities.    Last year I wanted to do my first sprint triathlon but couldn’t pull everything together.   In the fall I bought a bike, I’m taking a “Masters Stroke” swimming class and have started the Couch to Sprint program.  I turned 50 in September

Family Status - Married 2 kids and 1 grand kid

Current Training - I started the Couch to Sprint program on 1-10.  I probably could have started with the next program up, but decided to take it slow and steady.  My target sprint is Tri for Joe on 5-28 so I have enough time to do 2 programs. 

Weight loss - My winter weight is around 210 and my training weight goal is 185. 

I’m slow, but steady.   I really like the routine of training.  Where I’ve got myself in trouble in the past is where I tried to freelance my program or push myself to fast to quick.  

I belive this makes me # 9

2011-01-15 2:30 PM

User image

New user
Can I be lucky number 10?! 

Name
: Peachfor3/Shon

Story: Grew up playing sports in S. CA (I live in Colorado now.)  Beach every weekend, and had a TON of fun (body board, rollerblading <eyes rolled> surfed a ton, ect.) Got married, got busy, had twins, and have been slowly rebuilding that body for the past 5 years.    Had a bonus baby and that didn't help with weight/strength/time to workout.  I am so lucky that I get to choose to be a stay at home mom, and I know a lot of other people are either working or staying home because of circumstances beyond their control.  I've been there, and I get it.  I am a gear-head and love to collect every toy/junk for whatever I am doing (my kitchen drawers are bulging in an embarrassing manner.)  We have a tightish budget, so we'll see how creative I can get with getting tri stuff!!

Family Status:  Married to the most amazing man, and my best friend, 5 (almost 6) year old twins, and a 20 month old bonus baby.

Current Training:
  Funny you should ask.  I just discovered that I have a stress fracture, so no running right now.  At. All.  So, swim, bike, pilates, whatever I can squeeze in, whenever I can.  It is a fun challenge and I like to think about that as opposed to "will my kids eat this shrimp stir fry for dinner tonight." 

Races:
  Still up in the air.  Planning on a sprint tri in July.  Besides that, we'll see what comes along.  I live in CO now and there is always something.

Weight loss: Ugh, about 25 pounds still.....
2011-01-15 4:45 PM

User image

New user

Corpus Christi
Hey I would like to join your group.  I am planning on my first Tri this year.  I have been cycling for about 4 years but mainly just road races.  My plan is to be very competitive this year.  Oh, did I mention I am 50 years old..well 51 next Thursday.  I was into weight training several years ago and my weight shot up to 240..I am now down to around 205 but could use to lose another 10 pounds or so to help with my races.  I have had both knees scoped and running at times can be hard...dr said I don't have any cartlidge left in my knees.  So I have good and bad days.  My brother was a world class distance runner and I have quite a bit of knowledge of running.  My weak link in swimming...I know how just never did competitively.
2011-01-15 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
OK folks!
We have eleven now.....awesome!
Gonna close now, thank you. 
2011-01-15 5:23 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
 Welcome manatees!

We have :
Sara
Corey
Bobby
Noel
Ron
Jocelyn
Tim
Doug
Allen
Shon
and Bnutter.....sorry I do not know your real name!

This is a nice manageable number for a group. And there will be NO attrition! Right??? 
Might I suggest, if you are not already doing so, to use the BT training logs?
They are a wonderful resource. And very helpful when you have questions about your training.
Also , its pretty hard to ignore the numbers when they are right in front of you.....good for motivation.

First things first........how about we all come up with a goal that we would like to accomplish, say, in the next week or so ? Could be something as simple as drinking more water, or getting to the gym x number of times or whatever.
Mine? To swim three times in the next week. I have not been great about getting into the water regularly.
OK quit laughing...I KNOW my username is aqaugirl ! Kind of a joke.    
2011-01-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3301883

User image

Veteran
My goal is to start the walk/run program on Monday, walk/run every other day, and try to get some swims in during the week.

By the way, a question: How do I put walks or walk/run in the training log? Under running, or under strength training?

2011-01-16 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3302144

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
r1237h - 2011-01-15 9:53 PM My goal is to start the walk/run program on Monday, walk/run every other day, and try to get some swims in during the week.

By the way, a question: How do I put walks or walk/run in the training log? Under running, or under strength training?

If its just a pure walk, you can log it under "sports". Walking is listed in the drop down menu.
But if its a run/ walk, go ahead and log it under running, and then in the comments you can just make a note of walk your ratio of running to walking is. 

Did your physio give you a program to follow?
Its awesome that you are ready to start running!
How is the knee feeling these days? 
2011-01-16 11:50 AM

User image

On your right
Welcome to all!

Another good thing to do, is to add each other to your friends list in your Training Log. 

From the Training Log screen, on the Left of the page, part way down is a section called, "Friends".  There is a +, which when you click, will let you enter a screen name.  Once you put in all the names, just save at the bottom.

Then, you'll be able to quickly access each other's training logs and offer encouragment, or see what's working for others that you may be able to incorporate for yourself.

2011-01-16 8:01 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hope everyone had an awesome weekend.
I will swim tomorrow..........really, I will. I promise.  
2011-01-16 8:27 PM

User image

New user
My goals this week: swim three times, spin once, pilates once, or maybe twice.  Selfish goal?  Buy padded bike shorts for spinning this week!  Ow.  'Nuff said.
2011-01-16 8:45 PM

I have been taking a spin class one day a week so my goal is to ride the bike at the gym a second day this week.  It's way to cold to ride my bike outside and I don't have a trainer so this is the closest I can get to riding

Which actually leads me to a question- Any suggestions about indoor trainers?  I have been wanting to get one, but unsure of what I should be looking at. 

2011-01-16 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3303445

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Peachfor3 - 2011-01-16 9:27 PM My goals this week: swim three times, spin once, pilates once, or maybe twice.  Selfish goal?  Buy padded bike shorts for spinning this week!  Ow.  'Nuff said.

I actually find tri shorts more comfy. Its weird....but lots of people here will echo that.

Have you tried using chamois butter? That helps. And of course bike fit is THE most important....but not on a spin bike I guess. 
2011-01-16 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3303464

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
srja - 2011-01-16 9:45 PM I have been taking a spin class one day a week so my goal is to ride the bike at the gym a second day this week.  It's way to cold to ride my bike outside and I don't have a trainer so this is the closest I can get to riding

Which actually leads me to a question- Any suggestions about indoor trainers?  I have been wanting to get one, but unsure of what I should be looking at. 

Get a fluid trainer. They are quieter and have better road feel.
Kurt Kinetic makes the best one......and if you look online you can get one for as little as 240$.
Cycle ops are the other leading brand.

Magnetic trainers are cheaper...... but way WAY noisier. I just upgraded from mag to fluid. Wish I had just gotten fluid in the first place!
2011-01-16 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3303519

User image

Veteran
I'm quite happy with the kurt kinetic road machine.
2011-01-16 10:49 PM

User image

New user

Austin, TX
My goal is to wake up, and actually go to Swimming Wednesday and Friday.  

If I eat cheetos and drink beer all week it won't matter as long as I follow through on the swimming

I'm kidding but the swim class makes me nervous as I'm envisioning everyone there with 10 years of swimming and I haven't swam freestyle in at least 10 years.

Bobby

2011-01-17 2:05 AM
in reply to: #3303626

User image

Veteran
doublebee - 2011-01-16 8:49 PM I'm kidding but the swim class makes me nervous as I'm envisioning everyone there with 10 years of swimming and I haven't swam freestyle in at least 10 years.

Bobby

Just imagine that the rest of the group is passing the weekend thinking to themselves "Holy sh1t!!! Bobby's coming, we're toast!"

Not working? Then keep in mind that everyone starts at the beginning, and if you practice enough, you'll catch up.

Good luck!

2011-01-17 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3303626

User image

On your right
doublebee - 2011-01-16 11:49 PM My goal is to wake up, and actually go to Swimming Wednesday and Friday.  

If I eat cheetos and drink beer all week it won't matter as long as I follow through on the swimming

I'm kidding but the swim class makes me nervous as I'm envisioning everyone there with 10 years of swimming and I haven't swam freestyle in at least 10 years.

Bobby

There will be people there that are studs, I'm sure.  There will also be people that aren't great swimmers.  Just remember that nobody can see you while you're swimming but the coach.  Besides, you can't get better if you don't get in there and work at it..
2011-01-17 6:55 AM

User image

On your right
Oh, and my goal for the week is to get a workout in each day.
2011-01-17 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3303779

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Chaderbox - 2011-01-17 7:54 AM
doublebee - 2011-01-16 11:49 PM My goal is to wake up, and actually go to Swimming Wednesday and Friday.  

Bobby

There will be people there that are studs, I'm sure.  There will also be people that aren't great swimmers.  Just remember that nobody can see you while you're swimming but the coach.  Besides, you can't get better if you don't get in there and work at it..

Wise advice Chad.
Bobby, just get in there and do your own thing.  I think those of us that get interested in triathlon tend to be a bit competitive in nature, but honestly? The worst thing you can do is to compare yourself to others. Easier said than done i realize........
2011-01-17 8:06 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Ugh. Its -24C out. 
Do I really want to get in the pool?????

Edited by aquagirl 2011-01-17 8:07 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19